Ross Lyon after today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon after today

Name any person ever in the history of AFL footy who has ever addressed an incoming player or even thought 'welcome to our club son. You're here to win a B&F'!!!!!

Oh my. You have been drinking!!!

Do you think a footballers job is to win a B&F??

Jesus mate. I'd let this one go if I was you. You look like a dill.

I'll give you the chance to save face and just get back on topic.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I'm suggesting that almost everyone in the media is absolutely biased.

You reckon Kevin f****** Bartlett offers an honest, unbiased view on sport on his own radio show each day?

f*** me.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote: Can you tell me at which point in the history of any sport has anyone given the slightest s*** about a H&A winning ratio (or equivalent in other sports)?
You're right about AFL, we are obsessed with winning the GF as the only measure of success, but most sports actually celebrate the best few participants… all medalists in olympics are lauded… the top 10 in tennis is a massive achievement, If Australia finished in the last 8 in the World Cup that would be huge and Postecoglou would be considered an all time great if we got anywhere near the final.

Words like very good and great are pretty meaningless subjective terms really, all-time great of the sport is different to "he's a great coach"

Grand Final losses aside, I've seen both our side and Fremantle play some unbelievably ferocious football under Ross's watch, but until (or if) he can land a flag he always be the "not quite" guy.

Most people consider him to be a bit unlucky, but those with a stinging hatred will just consider him to be no good. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Alf was biased, because he tipped a favourite even though he didn't think it'd win.

He was being safe. He was giving a popular opinion. If it won - he's a guru. If it lost - everyone else tipped it so his cred is still intact.

That's bias.

Almost every single AFL media person is exactly the same. They peddle out easy, popular, and safe 'opinions' day after day.

If you see these guys as unbiased, then I guess it's worked. You're just another stooge sucked in by media manipulation.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Johnny Member wrote: Can you tell me at which point in the history of any sport has anyone given the slightest s*** about a H&A winning ratio (or equivalent in other sports)?
You're right about AFL, we are obsessed with winning the GF as the only measure of success, but most sports actually celebrate the best few participants… all medalists in olympics are lauded… the top 10 in tennis is a massive achievement, If Australia finished in the last 8 in the World Cup that would be huge and Postecoglou would be considered an all time great if we got anywhere near the final.

Words like very good and great are pretty meaningless subjective terms really, all-time great of the sport is different to "he's a great coach"

Grand Final losses aside, I've seen both our side and Fremantle play some unbelievably ferocious football under Ross's watch, but until (or if) he can land a flag he always be the "not quite" guy.

Most people consider him to be a bit unlucky, but those with a stinging hatred will just consider him to be no good. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
He's clearly 'good'. He's obviously not hopeless.

But how many good/very teams does he need to coach that are unlucky not to win a flag before you start to wonder if its luck at all?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Name any person ever in the history of AFL footy who has ever addressed an incoming player or even thought 'welcome to our club son. You're here to win a B&F'!!!!!

Oh my. You have been drinking!!!

Do you think a footballers job is to win a B&F??

Jesus mate. I'd let this one go if I was you. You look like a dill.

I'll give you the chance to save face and just get back on topic.

Oh my now. Wow. I dont need a chance from you to save face because I have seen many of your posts and clearly don't rate many of them highly but thanks for the offer JM. Do you honestly think every single coach who is brought into a club is told welcome to the club mate and we expect a flag from you. Laughable. Your examples are shot down easier than a seagull in duck season. How do you rate great players? Is it feeling but for a coach you have a hard and fast rule. Im laughing all the way to the toilet because clearly the idea should be flushed.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I'm suggesting that almost everyone in the media is absolutely biased.

You reckon Kevin f****** Bartlett offers an honest, unbiased view on sport on his own radio show each day?

f*** me.

Such language. Oh dear or my.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Are you being serious?

And there it is Markp - we've now hit 'very bad'.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Alf was biased, because he tipped a favourite even though he didn't think it'd win.

He was being safe. He was giving a popular opinion. If it won - he's a guru. If it lost - everyone else tipped it so his cred is still intact.

That's bias.

Almost every single AFL media person is exactly the same. They peddle out easy, popular, and safe 'opinions' day after day.

If you see these guys as unbiased, then I guess it's worked. You're just another stooge sucked in by media manipulation.

Your right. Its so much more positive to think everyone is biased and then work out if there is one unbiased person even watching the game. I wont call you a stooge but I may call you Larry.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote: But how many good/very teams does he need to coach that are unlucky not to win a flag before you start to wonder if its luck at all?
I guess you look at each game on it's merits… If he can get the 4th or 5th best side into a grand final and in a position to win late in the game but can't win, then most people will say the side has been well coached.

I wouldn't consider Chris Scott to be a great coach even though he has won a premiership, I think Lyon outcoached him last year in the prelim as he did a number of times against Mark Thompson coaching a better list on paper.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:Alf was biased, because he tipped a favourite even though he didn't think it'd win.

That's bias.

Your right. Its so much more positive to think everyone is biased and then work out if there is one unbiased person even watching the game. I wont call you a stooge but I may call you Larry.

Oh my god.

I can't believe what I just read.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

That's bias.

Oh my god.

Excellent response again JM.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I can't believe I'm even engaging in this nonsense.

But, can you clarify that in the name of positivity, you openly choose to be naive and believe everything you hear? Is that what your previous comment is saying?

Then you have the audacity to come on here and use these opinions as evidence when debating a subject?

Are you for real?? You're just taking the piss.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I can't believe I'm even engaging in this nonsense.

But, can you clarify that in the name of positivity, you openly choose to be naive and believe everything you hear? Is that what your previous comment is saying?

Then you have the audacity to come on here and use these opinions as evidence when debating a subject?

Are you for real?? You're just taking the piss.

When did I say I believe everything I hear. Some of the stuff you write is so wrong it makes me think you issues reading. And do you ever answer any questions or are basic ones even to hard? Anyway you can have the final say tonight but I will be back. I will try to get down to your level so that you can maybe answer a question or 2 and secondly and more importantly actually read what I write.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Spinner wrote:

You list them - I'm not the one proclaiming this rubbish, you are.

And even still - this bottom six rubbish is only a theory. Hawthorn were miles in front of any other team in the competitive last year, Freo were lucky to be third.

It's a rubbish statement that you're using to support you're own jaded views.
I am still not sure what your view on this iussue is spinner?

Can you come out with it clearly. Lots of snivelling and sniping and bagging from the sidelines - but not much clarity in what you actually want to say.

Although I am on Saintsational so it is par for the course :D

Surely this is a joke or you have just run out of things to say...

My views are very clear.

I don't think I can do much more if you can't get that.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Wow

What happened to this thread :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ross happened.

“Yeah….nah””
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:It's like a horse winning every race in the country but never winning a major G1 - who in their right mind would call it 'great'?

Its actually nothing like that but use it if it makes your decision to only call him a good coach justified.
I think it's very similar.

No one remembers nor cares about lead up races when discussing 'champions' or 'greats' of the turf.

In any sport it's the same.

But Spinner thinks a great H&A ratio is worthy of greatness??

Bizarre.

Don't put words to my name. Is this the level you now need to stoop to?

It's idiots like you who put up stats comparing Lyon to other great coaches who hadn't won flags over longer periods and somehow make the conclusion that he's the leader of the no flags pack?

You write the stats that only show he has had more successful seasons in nearly half the time, but use the stat somehow to a negative. It's laughable and more importantly just plain stupidity.

But that's fine, I wrote that I didn't bother writing how insanely stupid it was - but I'm happy someone else did.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

What the??

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

That's bias.

Oh my god.

OMG! OMG! OMG!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Someone post the popcorn emoticon,........

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Someone post the popcorn emoticon,........

There's 25 pages here - the popcorn has definitely run out.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:

??? What the f***? Are you drinking???

Cult followers have a balanced diet. They drink;

Media hyperbole; Liquid bullsh!t; Lyonspeak Toss juice; and gallons of Kool aid

No one should hold that against them. They have every right to think that other teams had better lists or that he is better than any other coach since Leigh Matthews. They have every right to call him whatever they like - very, very good or genius or master tactician, or brilliant student of the game, or even 'great coach' for that matter.

The way I see it and some are coming round to...No silverware means Lyon does have weaknesses in his gameplan. No silverware means he couldn't provide the inspiration or the motivation to get his players over the line.

Lyon's short cuts as a senior coach to consistently top up with recycled players instead of recruiting new talent has not worked. No development or encouragement of youth has shown consistently that other teams have improved - they overtake teams coached by Lyon. Youth has speed, hunger and more upside. His philosophies and his decisions have failed when it matters most.

If you want to be a Ross Lyon apologist that's fine ( actually NO it's not!! If I hear another excuse blaming recruiters I will spew up). The buck always stops with the head coach

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
matrix wrote:Someone post the popcorn emoticon,........

There's 25 pages here - the popcorn has definitely run out.
And that's because some on here seem disappointed Ro$$y hasn't won a flag.

Thwy will gloat if it happens - although I'm thinking that will be in a different league.

The rest of us - and I'm thinking the vast majority of Saints fans - are enjoying seeing Lyin and Freo in the mire.

Be interesting if a media site could do a simple online survey: "Do you want Ross Lyon never to win an AFL flag due to his attitude and dour game plan?"
I think an overwhelming amount of footy fans (not just Saints fans) would answer Yes.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.