Ross Lyon after today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon after today

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I think Lord Jonathan Member makes some very good points.

Im fascinated by the cult of Lyon.

He has some really strong believers.

I think he's a good coach (above average). But still just a man of flesh with some flaws.
Who are in this cult then?

From what I can tell, most of the people even remotely pro-Lyon are also saying he is a good coach, but no genius,
Quite a few on the telly and radio love him. I have definitely heard the word 'genius' used on tv to describe him. Darce comes to mind as a big fan.

I'd say it was 20% love him, rate him as a guru/60% neutral or don't care/20% against him.

And no i cant back up these stats :lol:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I wonder how his '4 year apprenticeship' theory is going?

Imagine if Richo believed that!? We'd be fielding 10 men each week.

Really puzzled me when he said that.
How many first and second year players did Hawthorn and Sydney use last weekend? Or any finals side for that matter.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Because equating a list in position to challenge for a flag to one which is totally rebuilding and came 18th usually makes sense

You are garbage - Enough said
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: And you cant compare Lyon to Blight. Blight won back to back flags . Back to frickin Back! From 4th and 5th on the ladder.
Sure he wasn't good at the Saints. But Blight may well have actually been a genius in the 90s. He certainly has more claims to the label then RL.
We have to compare Lyon to Blight because people keep suggesting that a guy who has lost 3 grand finals is no good and will never win one… Also Johnny keeps talking about scoring only 68 points in grand final as another sign of a fatal flaw… Blight's side only scored 63 points in the 94 grand final, so therefor he mustn't be able to coach either? But then another of his GF sides kicked 21 goals and still lost a grand final? it's all to hard - "me don't understand" as bluthy would say. :D

Blight will always be ahead of Lyon unless Ross is given the luxury of 30+ years like Malthouse and Sheedy in which case I have no doubt that he'll get a flag or two.

I don't rate Thompson or Malthouse as better coaches than Lyon… as I think that both of those guys clearly had the best lists in the comp when they won flags, not expecting the Lyin-haters mofo's to agree with me there though.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Darce comes to mind as a big fan.
The guy sucks sphinx for a living… let's not paint his inanities on the rest of us.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Darce comes to mind as a big fan.
The guy sucks sphinx for a living… let's not paint his inanities on the rest of us.
So Darcy called Lyon a genius?

Oh well lock the thread now. How can anyone argue with what Darcy says?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Because equating a list in position to challenge for a flag to one which is totally rebuilding and came 18th usually makes sense

So you think Lyon's '4 year apprenticeship' only applies to young players on a good list, but not young players on a poor list?

How so?

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

here's the thing for me...

Lyon will not make the GF this year. imo Freo will start to slide next year. so once Ross is back in the same position hee was at the Saints... will he get another gig with everyone in the footy world knowing he can't win on the last day in SEP?

I think his brand is becoming damaged.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:here's the thing for me...

Lyon will not make the GF this year. imo Freo will start to slide next year. so once Ross is back in the same position hee was at the Saints... will he get another gig with everyone in the footy world knowing he can't win on the last day in SEP?

You're being a bit harsh there.
Pretty sure Melbourne would be happy with a couple of finals appearances, and Roos not going to be there forever.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:

Pretty sure Melbourne would be happy with a couple of finals appearances, and Roos not going to be there forever.
Im tipping Kirky for the Dees job.

imho Lyon might get a go at the Woofers or the Bluebaggers or if he is very very lucky - the GC.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Johnny Member wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

So you think Lyon's '4 year apprenticeship' only applies to young players on a good list, but not young players on a poor list?

How so?
Cant see where I posted that. You are the one making spurious comparisions of lists.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote:

not trying to be harsh... but his game plan is to stop opposition scoring and movement. itworks bloody well for 95% of the time but twice now on the biggest day he has been stopped.

GF12010 is not included as that was all due to the inspirational performance by our team.

You got to think about it every board's goal when they hire a new coach is a flag. RL is proving he can't deliver that.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Sorry I forgot the sarcasm alert!

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

If he loses this year, you are probably correct.

Wonder if the 10 gol loss to the Saints will come back to bite him.

Top two and a first final at home, instead an away game in Sydney. Even beating Port, they then have to travel to Melbourne twice in a row and beat two top four teams.

THis at the end of a long tiring season.

Beginning of the end for Lyon?

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote:Sorry I forgot the sarcasm alert!
:D all good.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Top two and a first final at home, instead an away game in Sydney. Even beating Port, they then have to travel to Melbourne twice in a row and beat two top four teams.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:

I am 95% sure it is the end of Freo as a force B_M they have not played like the team of last year ( in patches they have) and nothing like us in 09. this year they have two power houses to deal with. One that just beat them, other beat them in the GF. I think they're on the slide, just a little faster then we did due to their list. Think about it next year Sandi could be gone or one injury away from it Pav at the end Barlow at the end Mcpharlin also at the end. so their list was a lot further along when RL took over then ours.

See how they shape up with Port at Home, i think Port will be smelling blood and come out firing. will be a very interesting game. For me GF this year Dawks and Swines. (port the dark horse)

2015 Freo to just make the 8. sound familiar? :wink:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

How so?

Oh man. BM don't re explain that please.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Why is developing youth mutually exclusive to winning for a team challenging for a flag?

We've discussed this infinitum, Lyon has learnt a lot but it came at a cost to St Kilda. He is a very good coach and he is improving but Lyon's philosophies and methods failed the Saints. In actual fact in 2010 the Collingwood team consisted of a couple of kids who made their AFL debut in THE SAME YEAR as their win over us.

Our coach didn't have faith in the youngsters on our list, didn't play youngsters on the list and this was to the detriment of the whole team and the football club both short and long term. Mick Malthouse didn't stick with Lockyer, Medhurst and O'bree and a couple of others in 2010. He offered his whole palying list opportunities and created competition between them and he chose Blair and Sidebottom and the youngsters performed.

They added speed to their team and they are proof that Lyon had shortcomings and the opposite is true of his '4 year apprenticeship' rule. The benefits were there - the result was there - the gamble paid off for the coach who dared to win the ultimate.

Keep defending the bloke (you have every right to be a one eyed Lyon lover and no-one should hold that against you) but sorry - not buying the Lyonspeak.

Jarryd Blair (born 14 April 1990) is an Australian rules footballer who plays for the Collingwood Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). Standing at only 174 centimetres, he is a small, pacy wingman/half forward flanker who made his AFL debut in Round 14, 2010 against West Coast at Etihad Stadium.

Blair played in the drawn 2010 AFL Grand Final and was a member of Collingwood's Premiership side a week later in the replay. At 20 years of age Blair was the second-youngest member of Collingwood's 2010 Premiership team after 19-year old Steele Sidebottom.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

How so?
Cant see where I posted that. You are the one making spurious comparisions of lists.
I haven't compared lists at all. Not sure how you deduced that.

From what I gathered from Lyon's '4 year apprenticeship' comment (and I could be wrong because as I said I was puzzled by it) you don't get a game, or at best you don't get a regular game unless you've completed your 4 year apprenticeship.

So in our case, and quite a few other clubs' cases if the 4 year apprenticeship was in place, we'd hardly be able to field a team!

What would he do at Gold Coast??

Or was your sarcastic reply suggesting that the 4 year apprenticeship would only apply to lists that are premiership contenders? If so, what do you base that on? Because I've never heard Lyon clarify what he meant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

How so?
I haven't compared lists at all. Not sure how you deduced that.

From what I gathered from Lyon's '4 year apprenticeship' comment (and I could be wrong because as I said I was puzzled by it) you don't get a game, or at best you don't get a regular game unless you've completed your 4 year apprenticeship.

So in our case, and quite a few other clubs' cases if the 4 year apprenticeship was in place, we'd hardly be able to field a team!

What would he do at Gold Coast??

Or was your sarcastic reply suggesting that the 4 year apprenticeship would only apply to lists that are premiership contenders? If so, what do you base that on? Because I've never heard Lyon clarify what he meant.

Im pretty sure he meant when challenging for a flag and I still think the comment was taken out of context. In his last year RL played as many young as deserved games so he could do it. Also he played Armo for 12 games in his second year and we played finals. Even Stanley got games when he didnt deserve it and in case people have forget wasnt Eddy young and that seems to be the real heartburn on here. geary played many games in his first few years once upgraded. Jack was constantly injured with OP and couldnt train properly during the week. Its a bit of Myth and I would love to see the context.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon is a genie's arse.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Ross Lyon is a genie's arse.

Ok then.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

RL/Freo relies on kicking a large percentage of their goals via midfield turnovers - i.e., via a counter-attack.
I'm not sure if enough attention/pressure is therefore applied to the opposition halfback lines - the lack of F50 defensive pressure that I alluded to earlier.
This was our achilles heel under RL, the major flaw in his game plan imo - the opposition half back lines were allowed to run riot.

If he learns from the past and readjusts his game plan,then Freo may have a chance to succeed.

Legendary
Club Player

dragit wrote: We have to compare Lyon to Blight because people keep suggesting that a guy who has lost 3 grand finals is no good and will never win one… Also Johnny keeps talking about scoring only 68 points in grand final as another sign of a fatal flaw… Blight's side only scored 63 points in the 94 grand final, so therefor he mustn't be able to coach either? But then another of his GF sides kicked 21 goals and still lost a grand final? it's all to hard - "me don't understand" as bluthy would say. :D

Blight will always be ahead of Lyon unless Ross is given the luxury of 30+ years like Malthouse and Sheedy in which case I have no doubt that he'll get a flag or two.

I don't rate Thompson or Malthouse as better coaches than Lyon… as I think that both of those guys clearly had the best lists in the comp when they won flags, not expecting the Lyin-haters mofo's to agree with me there though.
Spot on. Took Blighty a decade to win one. Took MM a decade at the Pies. Just because it takes a bloke time to win GF's, and he loses a couple along the way, it doesn't mean he's shot to bits as a coach.

What quality kids did we have on our list in 2010 (I mean quality of the type of Sidebottom and Blair) who were uninjured and could have played more football? Can't recall any...