The Method's first year...how do you rate him?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Re: The Method's first year...how do you rate him?

Im sorry but i dont rate him & believe he is too much of a touch player to ever have an impact as a midfielder! Time will tell i guess but would have preferred others instead of Billings.

Rating 4/10.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:7/10 for the method from me as well.

Exceeded my expectations.

I thought he may only play 2 or 3 games.

Showed he knows how to get in the right areas and showed he can usually hit targets. So hes going to be a player.

there were better players in the draft, but he will do...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Im sorry but i dont rate him & believe he is too much of a touch player to ever have an impact as a midfielder! Time will tell i guess but would have preferred others instead of Billings.

Rating 4/10.

A fail? I wouldnt even call Acres a fail and you have Billing as a fail. Who are the draft picks likely to be better over time in your opinion? I know its a while ago but how did you rate Hayes and BJ in their first year?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Sobraz wrote:Very very impressive.

Obviously his skill set is a standout, but what really surprised me was he bravery and toughness for a scrawny kid that has probably breezed through juniors on the back of his ridiculous talent.

We often see kids get drafted and struggle with the physicality of playing against men.. Toumpas a recent example, although I feel he'll still make it and I'd love to pinch him but thats a whole different thread.

Jack put his head over it, took the hits, backed it up, time and again.. Actually thought he began to thrive off it before he ran out of gas as the season stretched out..

Will be an absolute A-grader, elated he is ours..

As for Bont, wouldnt refer to him as flashy. At this stage, he has champion written all over him.. He has best player in the AFL potential... Billings is more around the top 10 mark.. Thats more than what you'd expect from any top pick..

I agree with all that especially that last line. Bont is going to be a star. Could be a freak. You dont kick that winning goal against was it the Dees unless you are freaky. I beleive last years draft has the potential to be as good as the best draft ever, the 2001 draft. Lets hope we get as many players out of it as we did back then. Set us up for years.
i agree on the best draft ever thing. Not many get such a high hit rate. Scharenberg and Freeman didn't play and they are both very talented also. Boyd will take time but might be the best of the lot. Could be the best top 10 ever anyway. Bontempelli looks amazing but I'm imagining he will fill out and could slow down or become to cumbersome for a mid role then he's an awkward sized utility or mobile KP. Looks good and I was talking him up before the draft but I'm not buying into the hype yet. He is a potential champ ATM but people getting way too excited for what so far has been a very promising start. I would say the Jack Mc crae will be a better player than him long term but not very noticed despite already being a very high out put player.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Im sorry but i dont rate him & believe he is too much of a touch player to ever have an impact as a midfielder! Time will tell i guess but would have preferred others instead of Billings.

Rating 4/10.

A fail? I wouldnt even call Acres a fail and you have Billing as a fail. Who are the draft picks likely to be better over time in your opinion? I know its a while ago but how did you rate Hayes and BJ in their first year?

WTF is a touch player anyway? Not sure what touch means is that a rugby thing? I can't remember having 2 players make more of an impact in their first year for us since so long ago I couldn't name them. I thought Jack and Dunstan showed me what the class difference is compared to guys taken later in the draft. I hope we fail like we did this year in the next draft.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Well we agree to disagree on the Bont. Cant see him filling out that much in todays footy because they just wont let you. Anyway arent there 192cm mids playing at the moment?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Well we agree to disagree on the Bont. Cant see him filling out that much in todays footy because they just wont let you. Anyway arent there 192cm mids playing at the moment?
There was talk he was still growing so if he stays 192 he should be right but he looks like he could bulk up. I like him just not as much as a lot of others seem to. He's going to be a high level player regardless. Could see him being a better Andreas Everitt though if the cards don't fall right.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Happy with what I have seen with Billings,first year played more games than I expected,after limited pre season.

Big question is how with he be rated on here in 12 months time?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

First year player averaging 15 touches, 5 marks and a goal playing off a forward flank. Rating: 8/10

Touch player? I think Billings has fantastic touch - he's a one touch player, elite field kick, goal kicking needs a little work although I think fatigue is the major factor why he missed a few he should've kicked. Just wait until his skills, composure and awareness is unleashed into the midfield.

Personally I think Billings is the more cleaner player and better/more penetrating/damaging field kick than Bont and will have the better career. Plenty of potential with both.

#gosaintas
Club Player

How could you not be rapt with what he has shown so far??? Looks like he will be a star.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Rating 4/10.

WTF is a touch player anyway? Not sure what touch means is that a rugby thing? I can't remember having 2 players make more of an impact in their first year for us since so long ago I couldn't name them. I thought Jack and Dunstan showed me what the class difference is compared to guys taken later in the draft. I hope we fail like we did this year in the next draft.
Why is rating him 4 / 10 this year deemed a fail - that's my rating on his first year. If he was playing for a top team he wold have been lucky to play 2-3 games this year. Opinions are like arse....s Gringo everyone has them, but on these forums if you go against the accepted worship lines you end up with rants like yours!

By way of 'touch player' I mean he opts when it is time to go or commit to the ball similar to Dal Santo or Milera which I don't like! On top of that he has a very light frame. He will put on weight but to me he will be similar to Scully too easily knocked off the ball, hence I believe he will not make an outstanding midfielder. He was sold as being the best skilled player in the draft but hasn't as yet shown that.

He may very well make an exceptional flank player similar to Deledio but IMO he wont be an all Australian midfielder.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Rating 4/10.

Why is rating him 4 / 10 this year deemed a fail - that's my rating on his first year. Opinions are like arse....s everyone has them Gringo, but on these forums if you go against the accepted line you end up with rants like yours!

By way of 'touch player' I mean he opts when it is time to go or commit to the ball similar to Dal Santo or Milera which I don't like! On top of that he has a very light frame. He will put on weight but to me he will be similar to Scully too easily knocked off the ball, hence I believe he will not make an outstanding midfielder. He was sold as being the best skilled player in the draft but hasn't as yet shown that.

He may very well make an exceptional flank player similar to Deledio but IMO he wont be an all Australian midfielder.

You said "I don't rate him" that means drafting him was a fail I assume? Otherwise you would see getting someone no good with pick 3 a strange kind of a win. I think you under rate his toughness. I saw him in the dogs match, he did a hammy and ran flat out hobbling keeping up with his opponent on one leg, got level with the bench screaming for someone to take his place and his man. I saw a potential champ in that action alone. It was Hayes like. We saw him at preseason training and he's the size of a kid finishing primary school. He doesn't pull out of contests despite this.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Rating 4/10.

Why is rating him 4 / 10 this year deemed a fail - that's my rating on his first year. If he was playing for a top team he wold have been lucky to play 2-3 games this year. Opinions are like arse....s Gringo everyone has them, but on these forums if you go against the accepted worship lines you end up with rants like yours!

Seriously how can people take you seriously when you mention Dal and Milera togther when its time to go or commit. By putting them to gether im guessing you have also got Billings wrong on that front. By the way last time I looked less than 50% is usually considered a fail. I cant say I have ever seen Dal pull out or not go and I havent seen that with Billings yet either.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

For what it is worth I always thought Dal was a very classy outside player but soft. He was the master of taking short steps when moving to a contest he didn't want to get to too early. Again opinions Gringo & Plugger you are entitled to yours please allow others theirs!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:For what it is worth I always thought Dal was a very classy outside player but soft. He was the master of taking short steps when moving to a contest he didn't want to get to too early. Again opinions Gringo & Plugger you are entitled to yours please allow others theirs!

I didn't say to stop having your own opinion I just have an opposite view to you. I would hope I'm not stopping you having a say but I think what you are saying is incorrect. Dal was able to win contested ball so mustn't have been too soft. His only real failing as a player was his inability to break a close tag. Other than that he was and is an exceptional player.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:For what it is worth I always thought Dal was a very classy outside player but soft. He was the master of taking short steps when moving to a contest he didn't want to get to too early. Again opinions Gringo & Plugger you are entitled to yours please allow others theirs!
Fine to have an opinion but stats suggest that opinion is wrong. he has about the same contested possessions per game percentage wise as Lenny. I would have seen him play close to 250 games and I dont think I once noticed a short step. I certainly wasnt looking for that. Keep posting any opinion you like. Thats what this forum is all about but dont expect people to agree if they dont.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Billings reminds me of an expensive well bred racehorse. He ran 3rd in a Blue Diamond against some stronger well develpoed 2yo's. He's been put out to pasture to develop and mature and to bring back for the 3yo classics, where the bookmakers are keeping him very safe. He has the potential to win the Cox Plate as a 4yo

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:Ps: is his nickname "The Method"?
What about "TOP"? As in top billing(s).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure on Billings.

Question marks on his bravery.

Question marks on his legspeed.

Question marks on his disposal.

For a 1st year player he had a good year. For a lightly built 1st year player, he had a very good first year.

Hopefully the 'question marks' I have about him are put to rest over the next two years. Because he doesn't have much trouble finding the pill, which is half the battle.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:I'm not sure on Billings.

Question marks on his bravery.

Question marks on his legspeed.

Question marks on his disposal.

For a 1st year player he had a good year. For a lightly built 1st year player, he had a very good first year.

Hopefully the 'question marks' I have about him are put to rest over the next two years. Because he doesn't have much trouble finding the pill, which is half the battle.

I would have thought disposal was the least of his problems. Cant see any question marks on bravery but pace is an issue. Looks very smart so will overcome that.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Jack is great and Dunstan is a beauty but acres will be the pick of the bunch mark my word

#1 Ryder fan
Saint wagga
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:Jack is great and Dunstan is a beauty but acres will be the pick of the bunch mark my word
Tell us why you think so highly of Acres MC? What have you seen that encourages you to make such a big statement given how much of the other two we've seen at the highest level already this season? This isn't sarcastic either, i'm genuinely interested to hear the attributes you've seen in him in his bunch of AFL, VFL and training that make you rate him so highly...

For the record, I hope your 100% on the money because that would mean we have got 3 very very exciting prospects. I just didn't see that much of him not having access to much VFL footage and he only got very limited AFL game time and i don't live in melbs to get along to training every now and then...

Saints94
SS Life Member

MC Gusto wrote:Jack is great and Dunstan is a beauty but acres will be the pick of the bunch mark my word
+1 he is just going to be that Josh Kennedy/Nat Fyfe type midfielder IMO, judging by his colts stats & draft descriptions etc

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Question marks on his disposal.
I guess this puts your Ross Lyon appraisal into perspective.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I hope you're right too mate, but the last guy you were gushing about like this was Terry Milera.