Ross Lyon after today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon after today

Johnny Member wrote:Yeah, this 'he gets teams into GFs so he's a genius' theory is flawed. Or at the very least - its highly debatable.

It could very, very easily be argued that he's taken over teams that were clearly on the cusp or on their way to challenging for success. In both situations, the teams he took on had superstars, had played finals, had high draft picks, and were very decent teams anyway.

It could be easily argued that in both cases, he has costs incredibly talented lists a flag.
Personally i agree with this... I don't u/s what the debate is

dragit
Saintsational Legend

A lot of people on here who must have coached an Afl premiership by the sounds of things... Decent snake oil, made the finals and top 4 nearly every year for 8 years now.

May well have beaten the clear flag favourite today, interstate with mcpharlin and Johnson available.

Anyway, carry on with the hatred.. Sorry for the intermission :D

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
White Winmar wrote:I beg to differ. He had a very good list to work with at St.Kilda, as he has now at the shockers. He hasn't converted his opportunities. I think he's capable, but nothing special. If he was a great coach, he'd gave a couple of flags at least and he wouldn't have left our list in a diabolical mess. Left the place far worse than he found it.
What I really noticed today too is Freo don't run as hard as the other 3 top teams to make space and receive the ball. They are more "stodgy" - they are scared to run forward because that risks opening up their precious space at the back - and again that reminds me of the run we lacked under him. It's like he focuses too much on that system pattern of his and forgets other elements to make your team multi-faceted and hard to stop. Remember when we originated frontal pressure and then it just seemed to ebb away and bloody Collingwood copied it and did it better than us. He takes his eye of the bigger picture he should have as head coach with player development, hard running, getting class players in, blooding youth etc and acts more like an obsessive line coach trying to perfect his on-ground system.
+1

He might win a GF and it might even be this year - although the odds are against him and I hope he doesn't even get another opportunity.

Accusing some players of not working hard enough after we just lost a grand final in 2009 was when he lost me. A coach who just arrived at a footy club thought he was the main reason we got into a GF (??!!) Give me a spell. The blueprint and foundations were laid years before he stepped foot in the joint. He divided the team and made scapegoats of players. My biggest beef with the bloke was the way he treated his players and the way he misread the union that binds a team and makes them click as a unit.

He treated some individuals differently to others and he didn't give young blokes a fair crack in the team. This was also one of the main reasons we had no flair - no speed - and no unpredictability. While Geelong and the Hawks and the Swans and Collingwood were introducing talented youngsters and rookies we were looking for the next recycled reject role player. We were sticking to our structures and sticking to our predictable line up and our predictable game plan while others were winning Grand Finals

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Lets not forget the lowlife scum broke a phone today also.

Good riddance to your flag dreams Lyin.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Freo will not win the flag this year nor will they make the GF. their chance was last year and they couldn't do it. this is it for freo their slow descent will begin.

This year is different to 09/10 as there now two power houses in the mix. (freo is not one of them) when we had our shots each year it was only one real power house.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Sylvia and Gumbleton have been brilliant acquisitions.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Geeeez what happened after the game?

Bit of an overreaction you think. Not exactly a ppl person

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Geeeez what happened after the game?

That person shouldn't be touching a coach though esp after he's just lost qualifying final. You never know what some moron might do.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

was it after the game?
i thought it was 3 qtr time?

:?: :?:

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:A lot of people on here who must have coached an Afl premiership by the sounds of things... Decent snake oil, made the finals and top 4 nearly every year for 8 years now.

May well have beaten the clear flag favourite today, interstate with mcpharlin and Johnson available.

When his teams lose it's always somebody else's fault.
When they win Lyon is a dead set genius!
Fair dinkum this bloke must have hypnotised some people!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:

That person shouldn't be touching a coach though esp after he's just lost qualifying final. You never know what some moron might do.
Seriously!?

"Don't f$%king touch me C*nt"

You never know what a some moron might do!!! What was he catching a train late at night? The guy patted him on the back for goodness sake.

He's certainly not a man of the ppl that's for sure
Last edited by skeptic on Sat 06 Sep 2014 11:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
dragit wrote:A lot of people on here who must have coached an Afl premiership by the sounds of things... Decent snake oil, made the finals and top 4 nearly every year for 8 years now.

When his teams lose it's always somebody else's fault.
When they win Lyon is a dead set genius!
Fair dinkum this bloke must have hypnotised some people!
It's not that hard mate, missing their best 2 tall defenders against a side with Franklin, Tippett, Reid & Goodes will be a major factor.

Lyon is no genius, but most people can see that he is a very good coach.

I reckon you may need hypnotism to correct this irrational hatred.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

It was 3 quarter time in a cut throat final and some wanker whacked him on the back and said "go get em' ross"

It was an over-reaction no doubt, Ross would have been peaking with intensity.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

time to let the hate slide refocus it on BJ

Ross gave us some of the best times i have seen this club have. yeh 97 04 05 but we had a nice run with RL. a dominating run. 09 imo was the best year i have seen the team play. We scared our opponents, still remembers Neil Craigs presser after the game with us. (sHOCK) when has a Saints side done that before? so yeh he walked but really were we all happy in 2011 with where our team and brand of footy was at? Personally I was happy he walked as our footy was getting very ugly and boring.

he did his best to get us to glory using his methods. now we have another new coach repair work being done to fix the RL system faults. in 2-3 years freo will be in the same place us atm, (but worse) so don't worry you will all get a good laugh once the freo board sack him.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:time to let the hate or and refocus it on BJ

Ross gave us some of the best times i have seen this club have. yeh 97 04 05 but we had a nice run with RL. a dominating run. 09 imo was the best year i have seen the team play. We scared our opponents, when has a Saints side done that before? so yeh he walked but really where we all happy in 2011 with where our team and brand of footy was at? Personally I was happy he walked as our footy was getting very ugly.

he did his best to get us to glory using his methods. now we have another new coach repair work being done to fix the RL system faults. in 2-3 years freo will be in the same place us atm, (but worse) so don't worry you will all get a good laugh once the freo board sack him.

think it's time to move on.
Hate for BJ??
You must be delusional, only Lenny approached BJ's performances in those GF's (one with a bung shoulder and broken jaw)
He almost single-handedly made choker Lyon into a premiership coach, how can I ever hate him?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Seriously!?

"Don't f$%king touch me C*nt"

You never know what a some moron might do!!! What was he catching a train late at night? The guy patted him on the back for goodness sake.

He's certainly not a man of the ppl that's for sure
Well that guy said that Ross grabbed him by the throat - really, grabbed him by the throat?? He seems to be trying to make a name for himself like a lot of sad anonymous nobodies.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Ross is going to fail again.....awesome :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
stinger
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:

Ross gave us some of the best times i have seen this club have. yeh 97 04 05 but we had a nice run with RL. a dominating run. 09 imo was the best year i have seen the team play. We scared our opponents, when has a Saints side done that before? so yeh he walked but really where we all happy in 2011 with where our team and brand of footy was at? Personally I was happy he walked as our footy was getting very ugly.

Hate for BJ??
You must be delusional, only Lenny approached BJ's performances in those GF's (one with a bung shoulder and broken jaw)
He almost single-handedly made choker Lyon into a premiership coach, how can I ever hate him?
agree..could never hate bj or dal....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:69 points in a final simply isn't good enough.

It wasn't in 2009, and still isn't.

It would have been enough in 2010.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote:

Hate for BJ??
I don't hate him feel exactly the same way you do about that performance in 2010 . but seems a lot of other SSmembers seem to share the same feelings towards him as Ross.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

I've got nothing against any of the players that have left for whatever reason,
Disliked Lyon from day 1 and the near misses did nothing to change it.
Didn't rate spud Dawson at any stage and can't wish him well because that would involve that other flog also having success!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Curious, what's the average score in finals of Ross Lyon coached sides?
I knew he'd revert to type under pressure. Plenty of numbers behind the ball I see

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: You have to be kidding Loris, we would take him back in a heart beat if we had a list ready to go. It's a no brainier.
Speak for yourself

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Well I reckon hes buggered now.
I just cant see him winning a flag from here ever.

His only chance will be walking into the GC Suns job in 2016 - but hed have to be unbelievably lucky for that to happen and to land that job at that time.

He will probably have his manager out there slyly letting the GC and the Dogs know hes interested in 2016.

Then he will leave the Dockers in a big hole.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Ho hum! Still plenty of posters that haven't got over losing our 3rd last coach. Face it, he was a terrific coach for the Saints.

Personally, I could never warm to him but he sure could coach. However, any respect I had for him has diminished after today. Not the incident with the supporter but his chanelling of Malthouse in his press conference. Came across as an arrogant turd, an excellent impresonation in fact.

And if Saint supporters only recognize a coach as being top shelf by the number of premierships they have won tell me which one of these three was better for the StKilda Football Club than Ross Lyon:

A. Tony Jewell
B. Malcolm Blight
C. Alex Jesaulenko

Saint supporter since '62