This Time Last Year...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWodonga
Club Player

This Time Last Year...

I heard us being linked to both Bruce and Delaney, the only name I am hearing us linked to this year is Boyd...

Anyone with some insight? Will will simply look to strengthen our position in the draft with players for picks?

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: This Time Last Year...

I've heard that we are in the market for a key back, 2 key forwards and 10 midfielders...

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Last year we needed to fill some holes desperately with the huge gap in our list of 21-28 y.o. players. Hence we traded in quite a few big bodied guys with a bit of experience to ensure we could be relatively competitive and at least wouldn't have 200+ blowouts which would have sent the club into a crippling and possibly terminal spiral. It was a "hold the line" kind of trade period last year. Now we can focus on the youngsters in the draft and rookies for a few years. Notice how everyone is now saying we need to get "talent" into the club hence we won't look much at other teams rejects much.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Good point,

I really hope we get more picks in the top end of the draft...

Saintberra
Club Player

Jaksch

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Cameron, Jaksche, O Rourke, Shiel, Griffiths, Mitchell, Reid, Membery we have heard plenty of very unlikely trades but I'm happy if we land a couple if true.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:I heard us being linked to both Bruce and Delaney, the only name I am hearing us linked to this year is Boyd...

Anyone with some insight? Will will simply look to strengthen our position in the draft with players for picks?
Can anyone imagine how worse we would have been if we hadn't recruited Delaney, Longer, Bruce?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Just read this on FB: "Social Media rumours have suggested that the Saints could be looking to pull off a trade with the Giants, which would see out of contract players Jonathan O'Rourke and Kristian Jacksch be traded to St Kilda in exchange for their Number 1 pick. (Not that the Giants need another No.1 pick!)
Other players to have included St Kilda's first overall pick, have been Giants Tom Boyd and Jeremy Cameron."

If true, I hope we get their number 3 too!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:Just read this on FB: "Social Media rumours have suggested that the Saints could be looking to pull off a trade with the Giants, which would see out of contract players Jonathan O'Rourke and Kristian Jacksch be traded to St Kilda in exchange for their Number 1 pick. (Not that the Giants need another No.1 pick!)
Other players to have included St Kilda's first overall pick, have been Giants Tom Boyd and Jeremy Cameron."

If we dont get 3 with those players that could be the worst trade in history. I would think it includes 3 if any truth at all.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I'd do Jaksch + Cameron + Boyd for pick one. In fact in that case I'd probably take O'Rourke as well, just to do them a favour. Maybe even send TDL back the other way if they really negotiate hard.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
SaintWodonga wrote:Just read this on FB: "Social Media rumours have suggested that the Saints could be looking to pull off a trade with the Giants, which would see out of contract players Jonathan O'Rourke and Kristian Jacksch be traded to St Kilda in exchange for their Number 1 pick. (Not that the Giants need another No.1 pick!)

If we dont get 3 with those players that could be the worst trade in history. I would think it includes 3 if any truth at all.

Correct Plugger. GWS would have to somehow get Melbournes #2 from them and then give us O'Rourke, Jacksch, Cameron, #3 and #2 just to make it look reasonably fair to us.

You are garbage - Enough said
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Interesting O'rourke was pick 2 and jacksch pick 12

Neither have really made an impact.

#1 Ryder fan
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Actually it would be similar to last time pick 1 was traded. Freo gave the Hawks 1+20+36 for McPharlin (pick 10) and Croad (pick 3). The Hawks got Hodge and Mitchell with two of those picks, and Croad was back with them by the time they won a flag.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Interesting O'rourke was pick 2 and jacksch pick 12

Neither have really made an impact.
Was it REALLY pick 2 though? Did they (and GC) have all those pre-draft pick selections?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
sMarty_saints
Club Player

This time last year...I was in the US of A...NYC in the middle (okay end) of summer attending a NY Yankees game, oblivious to the footy as well as the results...didn't come back until the finals...it was great. Only one more week and then we can start counting down the days until drafts, preseason, NAB cup, and then the season starts all over again....

I just hope we get some good pick ups in the draft.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Was pick 2 yes

#1 Ryder fan
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

Pick 1 for O'Rourke, Jackschit and someone else and we have a deal peeps.

Essentially a pick 2, pick 12 and someone else from a development side whereby not all players could get games. Works for me.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:Pick 1 for O'Rourke, Jackschit and someone else and we have a deal peeps.

Essentially a pick 2, pick 12 and someone else from a development side whereby not all players could get games. Works for me.
If you're so fixated on picking up guys who were once high draft picks, how about Scott Gumbleton. He was a pick 2, we could probably get him cheap. Or a solid pick 12 like Danny Meyer or Lucas Cook.

Maybe we should look at whether they're any good rather than their pick number.