Trade bait.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade bait.

Mr Magic wrote:I reckon Hawthorn would be looking at him really seriously as the replacement for Hale.
I reckon they'd think that if he was on the end of the delivery their midfield could give him he would be a very handy player.
He has shown in a coupe of games this year that if the ball is delivered to his advantage he can take a grab.
He is a booming and relatively accurate kick and can compete in the ruck.
Absolutely, his numbers match Hale in every dept this year apart from hitouts… twice as many marks though.

Unless someone wanted to pay significant overs, we'd be mad to offload Rhys at this stage

The guy can definitely play, the consistency isn't there yet, but it will come.

FQF
SS Life Member

It's amazing how public opinion in this place changes so dramatically from week to week. It was literally a few weeks ago that there were threads arguing that Stanley can take on our number one forward spot and allow someone else to do the part time ruck work.

I think I've seen enough to be patient and allow for the inconsistent performances to flatten out. He has made progress this season.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Calais wrote:Stanley.. Surely?

What would we get? Would anyone be interested?
Id be sending Rhys highlights videos of the freo and bombers games to every recruiter at each of the 17 clubs.
Get us something decent surely?

What about the other 50 games? he is a third rounder. More value to us than a 3rd round pick. He was terrible today but what is the second ruck options if he doesnt play?
Try Lyon.
Surely if Lovett worth late first rounder Stanley has got to be worth more especially now that eagle-beak is just about done.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Calais wrote:Stanley.. Surely?

What would we get? Would anyone be interested?
Id be sending Rhys highlights videos of the freo and bombers games to every recruiter at each of the 17 clubs.
Get us something decent surely?

What about the other 50 games? he is a third rounder. More value to us than a 3rd round pick. He was terrible today but what is the second ruck options if he doesnt play?
Try Lyon.
Surely if Lovett worth late first rounder Stanley has got to be worth more especially now that eagle-beak is just about done.

Have you sort help? On the B and F night I will bring a doctor to check you out. Is that ok with you?

Club Player

Well, you did ask - so P66 this response Seems a little off topic, and the first of the posts to be so. I do not consider playing the man is ever on topic, it is not adding to the discussion and does nothing to help discern whether your assessment of a players worth is likely to be more accurate than another's.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

6621104 wrote:Well, you did ask - so P66 this response Seems a little off topic, and the first of the posts to be so. I do not consider playing the man is ever on topic, it is not adding to the discussion and does nothing to help discern whether your assessment of a players worth is likely to be more accurate than another's.

Whiskers knows im joking. That is 100% fact. i wouldnt say it to certain posters but I know he knows its a bit of fun. We are also on the same table on B and F night i would imagine so i wasnt playing the man at all. Hope you understand that. hope you as vigilant with other poster today because one guy was told to shut the f*** up and im pretty sure he wasnt joking.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:What is it with these stupid threads?

Exactly.

On Stanley:

* Is of the age we need
* How many other ruck/forwards do we have? = 0 ( I am certainly not convinced that Hickey and Longer can be in the one team, but Stanley can back either up)
* We need more tall young forwards not less.

When we have put on the park 3 big mobile forwards it has worked well- weakness has not been the tall forwards, but the mids and half backs who cannot deliver well. Put a few classy mids in our team and players like Roo,Stanley, Bruce and Lee will all look better. Need some good small forwards to.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I agree with everything SR just said as it all makes sense.
But if the Dogs or Lions offered us pick 4 or 5 for him wed have to consider it.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

If we do trade Stanley, does that mean we have an eye on Peter Wright? ... Just putting it out there. Could be the next Paul Salmon.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Saint wagga
Club Player

dragit wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I reckon Hawthorn would be looking at him really seriously as the replacement for Hale.
I reckon they'd think that if he was on the end of the delivery their midfield could give him he would be a very handy player.
He has shown in a coupe of games this year that if the ball is delivered to his advantage he can take a grab.
He is a booming and relatively accurate kick and can compete in the ruck.
Absolutely, his numbers match Hale in every dept this year apart from hitouts… twice as many marks though.

Unless someone wanted to pay significant overs, we'd be mad to offload Rhys at this stage

The guy can definitely play, the consistency isn't there yet, but it will come.

That is fantastic research - thanks Dragit!! Do you think the extra hitouts points to Hale being a more effective ruckman, or spending more of his onground time in the ruck or a bit of both? I thought Rhys was rucking better earlier in the season personally and his tap work has waned a bit in the last couple of games. Fatigue from a long taxing season could be catching up with him, after all it's only really his 2nd close to full season without a significant spell on the sidelines...

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Just finally got some confidence into the kid, 50 games in, starting to clunk marks and know where to run....and we want to trade him?

Nee!
Megamaguire
Club Player

5 0 games in.

Fugazi you make a good statistical point. Not every young tall fwd is a Riewoldt - infact hardly any.
If I was thinking of letting Rhys go your post would make me stop and consider again.
Have to say I have been a bit disappointed in Rhys as a 'young' player but then again he does seem to have the potential to transform into a 4 qrt. player with experience helping him along.
Hard to imagine the club letting him go now Lee will need more chances to see if he'll make it and Spence will get more chances too but having Rhys in the mix improves the club's options I think.
If Rhys manages 15 more games in 2015 that'll make 65 and that could be the number for him to finally settle as a dependable player. I know it is more ifs and maybes but it makes me think that Petracca is a better investment at the moment (Nat. Draft that is) than going McCartin for instance.
then again...

G O S A I N T S! :)

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I agree with the poster on the previous page, keep Stanley, trade Longer. With Hickey, Longer Stanley, Pierce and Holmes, we have 5 ruckmen on the list. Surely that is too many on a list of 40. Hickey and Longer are the only two that would have serious trade value.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I agree with the poster on the previous page, keep Stanley, trade Longer. With Hickey, Longer Stanley, Pierce and Holmes, we have 5 ruckmen on the list. Surely that is too many on a list of 40. Hickey and Longer are the only two that would have serious trade value.

And then what happens? We get about the same pick as we used to get him. That would make last years deal completely pointless. He will stay at least one more year.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I agree with the poster on the previous page, keep Stanley, trade Longer. With Hickey, Longer Stanley, Pierce and Holmes, we have 5 ruckmen on the list. Surely that is too many on a list of 40. Hickey and Longer are the only two that would have serious trade value.

And then what happens? We get about the same pick as we used to get him. That would make last years deal completely pointless. He will stay at least one more year.
Exactly.

Plus we need to make sure Hickey's knee stands up, Pierce continues to develop and Holmes can actually make the leap from US Basketball to senior AFL footy.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ffs
rhys isnt going anywhere