Saints VFL standalone team delayed again

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Disaster: Saints VFL standalone team delayed again

Life Long Saint wrote:Why can't we stand up a reserves team and have them play at somewhere other than Moorabbin until the venue is ready?
The two don't need to be linked do they?

The stand alone team is the most important thing to the development of the players isn't it?
I remain unconvinced it is the be all and end all.

The players wear a different coloured jumper. Yes they might play in different positions and there is a constant 'message' etc - but I honestly believe they get that anyway with all the development coaches they have now. It is not like they just send you off to Sandy and never see you all season and then call you back at pre-season.

I'm happy to have a stand-alone side - i just dont think we should build it up as a saviour.

There is still the same footy, the same opponents, the same goal posts and you still have to go and get the ball.

just my 2c.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 20 Aug 2014 3:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I concur! But would suggest that you stop making sense, and please get into " disaster" mode ASAP! :wink: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Some federal money was pumped into Whitten Oval in Gillard's time as PM wasnt it?

Was that her electorate (or close to it) and she was also a Dogs fan?

So that explains why the Dogs could do it and not us.

So if we can get a Saints man (or lady) up as PM - we should be good to go! Might be centuries before that happens...
Howard not Gillard

You are garbage - Enough said
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Some federal money was pumped into Whitten Oval in Gillard's time as PM wasnt it?

Was that her electorate (or close to it) and she was also a Dogs fan?

So that explains why the Dogs could do it and not us.

So if we can get a Saints man (or lady) up as PM - we should be good to go! Might be centuries before that happens...
Howard not Gillard
interesting as i was trying to find some old news stories etc on this - and u are right - some cash was pumped in 2004 - but it seems there is some more govt money available now and they were doing some more development there?
a bit hard to find the info on it.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I concur! Little Johnny building up his cred with the battlers? By the way, bit of a cheap shot at building workers by SP in this thread.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Remembering that Gillard also invented this entire drugs in sport fiasco, just so that she could get Crameri to the Dogs, in turn deflecting attention away from the fact that she said she was more likely to play full forward for the dogs than become Labor leader…

You know it makes sense. Where, will, it, end.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:Why can't we stand up a reserves team and have them play at somewhere other than Moorabbin until the venue is ready?

The stand alone team is the most important thing to the development of the players isn't it?

Where could they play? I have said everytime it is mentioned that there is no real grounsd available around this area that the VFL could be played at apart from VFL grounds already in use and I doubt they will let us join them in playing at those grounds. Unfortunately for whatever reason Moorabbin wont be ready and we will have to wait another year. Makes you wonder if the club did enough homework first.

And yes a stand alone team is very important in development unless you are like the Hawks who basically own Box Hill.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Remembering that Gillard also invented this entire drugs in sport fiasco, just so that she could get Crameri to the Dogs, in turn deflecting attention away from the fact that she said she was more likely to play full forward for the dogs than become Labor leader…

You know it makes sense. Where, will, it, end.
:D :D

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:I concur! Little Johnny building up his cred with the battlers? By the way, bit of a cheap shot at building workers by SP in this thread.

When you have got nothing or have been shown up - simple attack the workers

You are garbage - Enough said
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

The players wear a different coloured jumper. Yes they might play in different positions and there is a constant 'message' etc - but I honestly believe they get that anyway with all the development coaches they have now. It is not like they just send you off to Sandy and never see you all season and then call you back at pre-season.

I'm happy to have a stand-alone side - i just dont think we should build it up as a saviour.

There is still the same footy, the same opponents, the same goal posts and you still have to go and get the ball.

just my 2c.
Worst 2c you've ever spent! ;)
Since 2001 only three premiers have not had a stand alone reserves side...They are West Coast (2006), Hawthorn (2008 and 2013). And the Box Hill Hawks might as well be Hawthorn's reserves so close is their alignment.

The numbers do not support your belief.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Where could they play? I have said everytime it is mentioned that there is no real grounsd available around this area that the VFL could be played at apart from VFL grounds already in use and I doubt they will let us join them in playing at those grounds. Unfortunately for whatever reason Moorabbin wont be ready and we will have to wait another year. Makes you wonder if the club did enough homework first.

And yes a stand alone team is very important in development unless you are like the Hawks who basically own Box Hill.
Always with you, it can not be done.

When Gellibrand Oval (Williamstown) was being redeveloped, the Williamstown side shared Werribee's home ground.
I am sure that a St Kilda VFL team could share TBBO, Frankston, Victoria Park or Princes Park.
Is it really that hard to work out?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

just my 2c.
Since 2001 only three premiers have not had a stand alone reserves side...They are West Coast (2006), Hawthorn (2008 and 2013). And the Box Hill Hawks might as well be Hawthorn's reserves so close is their alignment.

Did Brisbane, Port & Sydney have their own reserves teams when they won?

It will be a good thing down the track, but matters little for us in 2016 in the scheme of things, so long as we have a good alignment with Sandringham.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Always with you, it can not be done.

When Gellibrand Oval (Williamstown) was being redeveloped, the Williamstown side shared Werribee's home ground.
I am sure that a St Kilda VFL team could share TBBO, Frankston, Victoria Park or Princes Park.
Is it really that hard to work out?

There is now way sandy would let us play there if we dumped them and 2 of the other 3 grounds would be to far away IMO. Thats leaves Frankston and if it was that easy I reckon we would be playing there. The main problem is we spend all this money to start our own side and I doubt we would get any revenue at all if we played at another ground. If anything it would cost money and we just dont have the money. Maybe we dont even have the money for a stand alone side in 20156 and that is why they have put it off.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

just my 2c.

'might as well be' - BHH arent stand-alone. Some would say - Sandy might as well be Saints standalone. Saints have a lot of control now and Sandy people are (or were) constantly complaining that the Saints have too much power.

Freo dont have a stand-alone either. Ive said I want and support a stand-alone and i said its better than not. But imo - only marginally.

Those hanging their hat on it as a panacea are kidding themselves.

It wont help sh*t recruiting/trading/drafting and it wont help sh*t players become good players.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Did Brisbane, Port & Sydney have their own reserves teams when they won?

It will be a good thing down the track, but matters little for us in 2016 in the scheme of things, so long as we have a good alignment with Sandringham.
Yes, yes and yes.
Sydney used to have Port Melbourne but ended that alliance a very long time ago and ran a side in the SFL before the formation of the NEAFL.
Brisbane have always had the "young lions" in the QAFL until the formation of the NEAFL.
Port Adelaide is one of the oldest sides in Australia and has always been part of the SANFL.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
dragit wrote:Did Brisbane, Port & Sydney have their own reserves teams when they won?

Yes, yes and yes.
Sydney used to have Port Melbourne but ended that alliance a very long time ago and ran a side in the SFL before the formation of the NEAFL.
Brisbane have always had the "young lions" in the QAFL until the formation of the NEAFL.
Port Adelaide is one of the oldest sides in Australia and has always been part of the SANFL.

Yes but until this year Port players didnt play at Port.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

just my 2c.

'might as well be' - BHH arent stand-alone. Some would say - Sandy might as well be Saints standalone. Saints have a lot of control now and Sandy people are (or were) constantly complaining that the Saints have too much power.

Freo dont have a stand-alone either. Ive said I want and support a stand-alone and i said its better than not. But imo - only marginally.

It wont help sh*t recruiting/trading/drafting and it wont help sh*t players become good players.
The relationship between St Kilda/Sandringham is nothing like the one between Hawthorn/Box Hill...
Would we bring in the Sandy reserves coach if AR was unable to coach for a number of weeks? Not likely!

Having total control of your reserves side allows you to develop players the way the club wants them developed without the need to worry about team performance. When that player gets his call up in the seniors then he will be ready to play the exact role he's been playing in the VFL.
I often wonder how some of our "crap" recruits would have gone at Collingwood or Geelong under their system.

The numbers support the criticality of having our own VFL side. It is folly to think otherwise.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

just my 2c.

No but it may make good players better or fair players good players. The one thing I do know is it wont hurt and that can only be a good thing. If it didnt help why are most clubs now stand alone?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Everyone wants something to hang their hat on to get them through the dark times.

Everyone wants some solid glimmer of hope in the future to focus on through the down years.

So if people want to believe a stand-alone VFL side will be a panacea for us - by all means go for it.

If we had one now wed still be bottom - and probably bottom next year as well.

If you think Geelong and the Pies won flags because they had a VFL side - Id argue that was folly.

It might be 5% of the overall equation imo.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: I often wonder how some of our "crap" recruits would have gone at Collingwood or Geelong under their system.

If one of our 'rejects' gets picked up by Geelong and goes on to become a star - you will be proven right.

Until that happens I will remain a skeptical hippo.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Everyone wants something to hang their hat on to get them through the dark times.

Everyone wants some solid glimmer of hope in the future to focus on through the down years.

So if people want to believe a stand-alone VFL side will be a panacea for us - by all means go for it.

If you think Geelong and the Pies won flags because they had a VFL side - Id argue that was folly.

Well thats 2 flags we have won in the last 6 years. Sounds good to me. Who said its the panacea apart from you. Most just cant see how we lose by doing it. As I said we would have 2 flags if your 5% is right.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:There is now way sandy would let us play there if we dumped them and 2 of the other 3 grounds would be to far away IMO. Thats leaves Frankston and if it was that easy I reckon we would be playing there. The main problem is we spend all this money to start our own side and I doubt we would get any revenue at all if we played at another ground. If anything it would cost money and we just dont have the money. Maybe we dont even have the money for a stand alone side in 20156 and that is why they have put it off.
Too far away? That's Gold!
Too far from where? Aren't we the St Kilda Football Club? Princes Park and Victoria Park are a lot closer to the suburb than Sandringham is...and both are closer to our training base than Docklands...The seniors don't seem to get themselves lost!

If Sandringham are that petty then the sooner we end this alliance the better...and I am sure that any VFL club would welcome the opportunity for some extra beer and pies to sell every week. They're not Etihad stadium.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Everyone wants something to hang their hat on to get them through the dark times.

Well thats 2 flags we have won in the last 6 years. Sounds good to me. Who said its the panacea apart from you. Most just cant see how we lose by doing it. As I said we would have 2 flags if your 5% is right.
Well the thread title is 'disaster' for a delay of one year - which places a fair bit of weight it. So yes some people do seem to think its a panacea. We last played in a GF back in 2010 - so I don't think we can back-date this 5% to 2008 or something. It is 5% from now. Although it seems many on here are still living in 2008.

p.s
Do you just sit around and wait for me to post and then hit reply in under 10 seconds?
I have you on 'ignore' but I notice you reply to every single post I make under under a minute. The time stamps will confirm this.

Fricking sad dude.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:There is now way sandy would let us play there if we dumped them and 2 of the other 3 grounds would be to far away IMO. Thats leaves Frankston and if it was that easy I reckon we would be playing there. The main problem is we spend all this money to start our own side and I doubt we would get any revenue at all if we played at another ground. If anything it would cost money and we just dont have the money. Maybe we dont even have the money for a stand alone side in 20156 and that is why they have put it off.
Too far away? That's Gold!
Too far from where? Aren't we the St Kilda Football Club? Princes Park and Victoria Park are a lot closer to the suburb than Sandringham is...and both are closer to our training base than Docklands...The seniors don't seem to get themselves lost!

If Sandringham are that petty then the sooner we end this alliance the better...and I am sure that any VFL club would welcome the opportunity for some extra beer and pies to sell every week. They're not Etihad stadium.

You do realise that we would have other players than saints playing for us and they are likely to be from down Seaford way and they are, unlike AFL footballers, working. No idea what the suburb of St Kilda has to do with it. And im guessing about sandy and I wouldnt really blamed if we dumped them. If its that easy as you say then why arent we doing it. My guess it isnt as easy as you say.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well the thread title is 'disaster' for a delay of one year - which places a fair bit of weight it. So yes some people do seem to think its a panacea. We last played in a GF back in 2010 - so I don't think we can back-date this 5% to 2008 or something. It is 5% from now. Although it seems many on here are still living in 2008.

p.s
Do you just sit around and wait for me to post and then hit reply in under 10 seconds?
I have you on 'ignore' but I notice you reply to every single post I make under under a minute. The time stamps will confirm this.

Fricking sad dude.

Did you read the thread. Obviously not because everyone had a go at the Op for saying disaster. So maybe its one person who thinks its the panacea. Wow. And 5% from now. Yep thats suits your argument but makes no sense what so ever. Why is it now that it only improves a side 5%? Who said i was back dating the 5% anyway. I was poiting out to you that 5% is obviously important as it would have won us 2 flags . You do get that dont you. My guess is no. What is sadder is a person having another on ignore but still looks at their post and then replies. I shouldnt really reply because when challenged about something you make no sense at all. BTW is your dad going to Ormond this week. I love talking to him. he is a great guy.