Number 1 pick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lewdogs
Club Player

Re: Number 1 pick

I just don't want to rule out getting Petracca if he is going to be the next Judd or something. We could really use a great midfielder to compliment our young developing midfield. Grab a forward through FA later on once Roo retires.

falka
Club Player

lewdogs wrote:I just don't want to rule out getting Petracca if he is going to be the next Judd or something. We could really use a great midfielder to compliment our young developing midfield. Grab a forward through FA later on once Roo retires.
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-15/pha ... form-guide

Petracca rated 1 by this dude (whatever that is worth)

citywest

Do we take McCartin, Petracca....OR....do we trade down????

Well folks, now that we have sown up the prized number 1 draft pick, what to do with it now?
1. We can take McCartin.
2. We can take Petracca.
3. We can be innovative and trade pick 1 to a team willing to give us 2 picks in return. One pick in the top 10 and another under pick 20.

Which one of the above 3 do you think we will end up with???

sainters85
Club Player

Re: Do we take McCartin, Petracca....OR....do we trade down?

Petracca OR Trade Pick 1 and receieve 2 picks inside top 10 or 1 pick inside top 10 and 2 inside top 20

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

This decision just seems to be getting tougher and tougher. My feeling is if you have the no. 1 pick and there is a big pack splitting forward which we really need, then its a matter of bird in the hand and you grab him because we may never be in that position again whereas we will always get a quality mid even at pick 4 or 5. Dogs for example will be kicking themselves they didn't get a big forward when they had the chance. However the mail on Petracca seems to be getting better and better. And someone here said McCartin was a bit more in the Fevola lead out mould. But they describe him as a pack splitter here.http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-15/p ... form-guide My gut still says McCartin. Trading is risky. Melbourne seemed to do ok with their trade but I wonder if they will kick themselves later down the track for not getting Kelly. Tough decision.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Didn't realise the season finished last week. Thought we could be off the bottom by 4.30 this arvo. We couldn't possible beat Freo either remember. Oh well.

Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Well folks, now that we have sown up the prized number 1 draft pick, what to do with it now?
?
I stopped reading there.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Pleasing
Club Player

I understand the appeal of the instant hit Petracca would give our midfield but we have a unique opportunity to solve the hardest position on the field for the next 12 years. If we are going to offer someone a 10 year multi million dollar deal to join us I would prefer they were 20 not 27 and there are star midfielders dotted through every draft, star key forwards are not so common and almost always cost a high pick.

I would ignore Boyds stats this year big blokes take a while longer he is playing in a crowded forward line and the ball rarely gets down there. Simarly could argue that Petracca is a man playing against boys and may not live up to his early billing.

Build the spine first then add the midfield don't want to end up like the Dogs or Blues

Let me in
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

We put a lot of work into Boyd last year. Hopefully we can lure him to St Kilda. Will be a star.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

We don't needed a forward we need a midfield

Use the no 1 pick on Petracca

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
sainters85
Club Player

Re: We don't needed a forward we need a midfield

we need both to be honest, good mids and a good forward, our mids can't get it to the fwd line but when they do, theres no one there :(

Beekay
SS Life Member

Having both Petracca & Billings as goal-kicking midfielders for the next dozen years...

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Why the hell do we need so many farkin threads on this subject - there Is about 3 or 4 similarly themed threads on the first few pages alone

Lets at least make one of them a sticky and delete the rest - ie 2014 Draft and Trade Discussion - like they have on BF

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:Why the hell do we need so many farkin threads on this subject - there Is about 3 or 4 similarly themed threads on the first few pages alone

Lets at least make one of them a sticky and delete the rest - ie 2014 Draft and Trade Discussion - like they have on BF
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85480&start=250

I did ask for it to be a sticky

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

If Petracca is as good as they say. Take him. We need a line breaking midfielder. Not a forward who can't get the ball because is not kicked to him

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
citywest

8856brother wrote:Didn't realise the season finished last week. Thought we could be off the bottom by 4.30 this arvo. We couldn't possible beat Freo either remember. Oh well.
I like your optimism 8856brother however the number 1 pick is ours. Our % is too far behind the other 2 and we are not going to win any of our last 3 games.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

sainters85 wrote:we need both to be honest, good mids and a good forward, our mids can't get it to the fwd line but when they do, theres no one there :(
We need some gun mids a lot more than a gun forward.

Stanley's best games have been when our forward line has gone ok. Even Locket would struggle to get goals today.

If McCartin was a clear No 1 and much better than Petracca, then yes you would pick him. But he is not. So I would go for Petracca, who many actually rate as No1 anyway.

Our midfield is dismal and lacks cream. Lenny is no past it, and is retiring anyway. Joey is not long away either.

Jack I believe will be better next year, as injury has cruelled him this season.
Armo goes ok, but he needs to be part of a good midield group, and not the key as he is no gun.
We found one in Dunstan this year. And maybe acres (but have hardly seen him, and so who knows).
Newnes is improving, but like Armo is no gun, but rather a useful part of a midfield group.
Billings looks arare talent...but is likly play mainly forward with some mid rotations.

Gaining a young gun forward this draft will mean squat for years. If we do not improve our midfield group we are going to get thumped for years...and you might then find that any good young talent will walk, rather than stay to play with a group that is showing promise.

Forget FA and trades in terms of cream for at least 2 years...with our current list no emerging stars will join us. We will only get useful types like Bruce and Delaney. Players like Caddy will choose lists they as seeing as playing finals, or just about to play finals even if it means less money for them.

What I want to see drafted next year with our first 2 picks at least are classy mids.

Big forwards can wait. And in any case you are better of with average key forwards and cream mids, than vice versa.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
8856brother wrote:Didn't realise the season finished last week. Thought we could be off the bottom by 4.30 this arvo. We couldn't possible beat Freo either remember. Oh well.
I like your optimism 8856brother however the number 1 pick is ours. Our % is too far behind the other 2 and we are not going to win any of our last 3 games.
I'm nearly willing to bet, come draft day, we don't have pick 1. 8-)

8856brother wrote:
citywest wrote:
I'm nearly willing to bet, come draft day, we don't have pick 1. 8-)
Yeah, me too, hopefully because the Pelican has traded it for pick 8 and 15!!!!! :idea: :D

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

We also need tall mobile defenders.
Actually we need another 3 top quality MIDs, a couple of tall forwards, a small forward and 2 tall defenders.
We are years away - sigh.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
thesaint3
Club Player

Spot on......You need to get the ball down there first.Lot of blodders in our mid....

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Agree massive probs in ours atm

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:We also need tall mobile defenders.
Actually we need another 3 top quality MIDs, a couple of tall forwards, a small forward and 2 tall defenders.
Yes but quality mids is what we need MOST.

We can go ok in other positions, but you need a deep midfield with some real guns to be competitive.
We have neither enough depth or cream at present.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Zed wrote:We also need tall mobile defenders.
So basically we need a new team

Fortius Quo Fidelius
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Pick one for Treloar or Devon Smith and Shiel?