Number 1 pick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Number 1 pick

spert wrote:Regardless of pick numbers etc, I suggest the Saints just go out and do whatever it takes to secure a truckload of quality young midfielders and worry about the rest after that!
Sure lets not worry about the fact that Roo is basically still our whole forward line. Or that Gilbert, Fisher, Dempster, Gwilt and Ray are holding up our backline. In fact you can argue that our midfield with Armo, Steven, Dunstan, Billings, Acres, Ross, Saunders, Murdoch, Curran, Templeton is relatively well stocked (compared with the rest of our structure) and just need time and games to come together a bit (although we do need some outside class added for sure).

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
spert wrote:Regardless of pick numbers etc, I suggest the Saints just go out and do whatever it takes to secure a truckload of quality young midfielders and worry about the rest after that!
Sure lets not worry about the fact that Roo is basically still our whole forward line. Or that Gilbert, Fisher, Dempster, Gwilt and Ray are holding up our backline. In fact you can argue that our midfield with Armo, Steven, Dunstan, Billings, Acres, Ross, Saunders, Murdoch, Curran, Templeton is relatively well stocked (compared with the rest of our structure) and just need time and games to come together a bit (although we do need some outside class added for sure).

good post....fair comment

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
PJ
SS Life Member

After that loss you'd have to say that #1 pick is pretty much ours, stranger things have happened but I can't see us getting another win.

Pelcan will be in pounce mode with regards to out of contract young KPFs.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:After that loss you'd have to say that #1 pick is pretty much ours, stranger things have happened but I can't see us getting another win.

We need more than one win to get off the bottom. Even if we won we still would have finished last given our pathetic %.

I was surprised to read you saying that we will probably win the game against the Dogs. I hope you weren't too disappointed.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
PJ wrote:After that loss you'd have to say that #1 pick is pretty much ours, stranger things have happened but I can't see us getting another win.

We need more than one win to get off the bottom. Even if we won we still would have finished last given our pathetic %.

I was surprised to read you saying that we will probably win the game against the Dogs. I hope you weren't too disappointed.
Better check your facts Pav

saint4life
PJ
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:

Why will we need more than one win to get off the bottom - can you see both GWS and Melb winning another?

& yes the loss was depressing - really thought we'd get up for Lenny.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Why will we need more than one win to get off the bottom - can you see both GWS and Melb winning another?

& yes the loss was depressing - really thought we'd get up for Lenny.
GWS and Melb do play each other.

I thought we were a win behind GWS and Melb for some reason.

I haven't looked at the ladder since about half way through 2013.

Sue me.

I didn't expect to win as the Dogs have still been pretty competitive but you're right though, we'll finish bottom.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saint 58
Club Player

Posted on BigFooty this morning ...
"Rumor via SEN that Saints may trade pick #1 for Boyd'

Apart from the obvious, I hope we can get him to stick it up Carlton supporters.
They are convinced they will get him cos he apparently barracks for Carlton.
Just like Goddard did :lol:

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Saint 58 wrote:Posted on BigFooty this morning ...
I would get genuinely excited if this is the case.

Boyd for mine was the one they'd least likely trade out of him, Cameron and Patton. Cameron is demading a large chunk of their cap before they'd planned for it, and Patton has had the most problems with his body out of the 3, so if we could score Boyd I'd be very happy.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:
Saint 58 wrote:Posted on BigFooty this morning ...
I would get genuinely excited if this is the case.

Boyd for mine was the one they'd least likely trade out of him, Cameron and Patton. Cameron is demading a large chunk of their cap before they'd planned for it, and Patton has had the most problems with his body out of the 3, so if we could score Boyd I'd be very happy.

The trade makes no sense unless they dont rate Boyd. And are we all sure a player on his first contract can be traded. I certainly know they cant be delisted.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

doesnt make much sense unlesss:

Boyd desperately wanted back to melbourne
GWS desperately wanted Petracca

otherwise makes no sense but geez you would think if it happened it would be great for us...potential is a dangerous word but on potential alone Boyd would be the number 1 pick in this years draft by a mile wouldnt he?

#1 Ryder fan
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:doesnt make much sense unlesss:

Boyd desperately wanted back to melbourne
GWS desperately wanted Petracca

otherwise makes no sense but geez you would think if it happened it would be great for us...potential is a dangerous word but on potential alone Boyd would be the number 1 pick in this years draft by a mile wouldnt he?

Exactly so how does it make any sense.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: And are we all sure a player on his first contract can be traded. I certainly know they cant be delisted.
Didn't Brisbane trade Buckley after one year? I suppose if all parties are in agreement then it may be allowed.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote: And are we all sure a player on his first contract can be traded. I certainly know they cant be delisted.
Didn't Brisbane trade Buckley after one year? I suppose if all parties are in agreement then it may be allowed.

Yes they did but the delisted rule came in a couple of years ago after Melbourne delisted a players after one year. I thought that may have included trading as well.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Yes they did but the delisted rule came in a couple of years ago after Melbourne delisted a players after one year. I thought that may have included trading as well.
You're probably right.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

You're probably right.

Stats suggest not.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Boyd is a big risk we need mids I don't know. Barely seen him play. Everyone seen him play a gws game? If he comes Stanley goes this year or next? Could be a package deal for a young mid on their list inc for pick1 and Stanley... If true,

Fortius Quo Fidelius
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
I have no idea but didn't Adelaide delist Tom Lee after only one year? Was it even more recent than that?

Ajantis
Club Player

To trade no 1 for boyd, both parties have to agree. This also includes boyd agreeing. Reports are boyd wants back to melbourne, and st.kilda are very much interested getting him.

falka
Club Player

It makes sense from GWS perspective.

They have Patton and Cameron along with 4 other lesser known forwards (all first rounders by the way)
Part of their thinking would have been 'how well will Patton come back after the knee?' Well he has been really good.

If they keep him on the list in 2015 and he doesn't get much of a crack, then he can walk.

So instead of losing him for zilch, they get more the type of player they need - Petracca,

So makes perfect sense.

Question is, is Boyd any good? Or Barry Brooks MkII?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

falka wrote:It makes sense from GWS perspective.

They have Patton and Cameron along with 4 other lesser known forwards (all first rounders by the way)
Part of their thinking would have been 'how well will Patton come back after the knee?' Well he has been really good.

If they keep him on the list in 2015 and he doesn't get much of a crack, then he can walk.

So instead of losing him for zilch, they get more the type of player they need - Petracca,

So makes perfect sense.

It makes no sense. last year was a great draft and everyone knew it before. This year is even and probably not a great draft so they are swapping a clear number one for a player that could be pick 6. Also the rumours of Patton wanting to leave at the end of next year makes it even sillier to trade Boyd. And yep he could leave at the end of next year for nothing but so can any player on any list coming out of contract. You have to back the club to sign a player before the contract finishes. Based on that reason then why not trade Patton this year as well. Pick 2 is likely to have as good of chance as picking the right plyer this season anyway.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:
falka wrote:It makes sense from GWS perspective.

So makes perfect sense.

It makes no sense. last year was a great draft and everyone knew it before. This year is even and probably not a great draft so they are swapping a clear number one for a player that could be pick 6. Also the rumours of Patton wanting to leave at the end of next year makes it even sillier to trade Boyd. And yep he could leave at the end of next year for nothing but so can any player on any list coming out of contract. You have to back the club to sign a player before the contract finishes. Based on that reason then why not trade Patton this year as well. Pick 2 is likely to have as good of chance as picking the right plyer this season anyway.
I like Falka's reasoning.

Pluggs, you're making sense re Boyd, Patton or whoever maybe wanting to leave at the end of 2015. Depending on how things play out, it may be either of them or someone else.

IMHO though, the point is that the 2015 draft/s will give us the chance to grab a top line young key forward. Waiting till then also would let us make a more informed decision going forward, as it gives us another year to gain a much better idea of how the likes of Stanley, Bruce, White, Lee and Sippa' are likely to turn out.

We also need another key defender (two if Bruce ends up predominantly forward).

So, unless we're made an offer we can't refuse, or unless our recruiting team know something we don't re Petracca, then for mine it's Petracca all the way this year, and the key forward next year.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Pleasing
Club Player

This year is the year to make a play for one of the Giants 3 tall forwards Patton and Cameron are both fielding long term multi-million dollar offers now. It is decision time for GWS they don't want to wait till they are all out of contract they need to lock in the guys they want to keep ASAP to long term deals or get a decent return while they still have some leverage. I think they will be resigned to losing one of them as despite what they say about playing all three in the same team even they will be able to see that they can't satisfy all three of them both in terms of Salary and opportunity to be the big dog forward. Ultimately Patton and Boyd look like they play the same position so if I was them I would be locking in Patton then looking to sell Boyd for as much as they can get.

This is perfect for us as we have what they want Pick 1 (Petracca)there will be lots of haggling around the edges both sides will say they want more but ultimately the straight swap Pick 1 for Boyd seems about right - Giants get what they paid for Boyd last year (Pick 1) we get a genuine Number 1 Draft pick (Boyd). All this comparing the quality of drafts stuff is not relevant what is relevant is would the Giants swap Boyd for Petracca and I think given the state of their list and the looming salary cap issues this makes perfect sense.

Only snag is they will be less likely to pull the trigger on Boyd if Cameron and Patton haven't already committed long term

Let me in
Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Pleasing wrote:This year is the year to make a play for one of the Giants 3 tall forwards Patton and Cameron are both fielding long term multi-million dollar offers now. It is decision time for GWS they don't want to wait till they are all out of contract they need to lock in the guys they want to keep ASAP to long term deals or get a decent return while they still have some leverage. I think they will be resigned to losing one of them as despite what they say about playing all three in the same team even they will be able to see that they can't satisfy all three of them both in terms of Salary and opportunity to be the big dog forward. Ultimately Patton and Boyd look like they play the same position so if I was them I would be locking in Patton then looking to sell Boyd for as much as they can get.

This is perfect for us as we have what they want Pick 1 (Petracca)there will be lots of haggling around the edges both sides will say they want more but ultimately the straight swap Pick 1 for Boyd seems about right - Giants get what they paid for Boyd last year (Pick 1) we get a genuine Number 1 Draft pick (Boyd). All this comparing the quality of drafts stuff is not relevant what is relevant is would the Giants swap Boyd for Petracca and I think given the state of their list and the looming salary cap issues this makes perfect sense.

Only snag is they will be less likely to pull the trigger on Boyd if Cameron and Patton haven't already committed long term
Yep, I'd be happy with that outcome.

falka
Club Player

It doesn't always have to make perfect sense. GWS is a whole new beast with amazing concessions that allow it to do things no other club can.
Why the hell did they draft the WA KPF McCarthy at pick 13ish last year after taking Boyd at 1 and having Patton and Cameron? Maybe to

1) to piss the swans off for taking Buddy and they knew they were keen (crazy reason to draft someone)

2), as tall forwards don't grow on trees, their bargaining power is very high.

If they slowly trade out a few players (whilst they still have a year left, so they don't lose them for zilch) they can spread the quality of their list over a longer period of time, maximising their run at flags.

And you know what, maybe Boyd aint cutting the mustard, a little slow, unable to ruck, you never know.

Anyway, probably just a rumour, but after following the Saints for over 25 years, nothing would surprise me in this game.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Rati ... 2/Tom-BOYD - pretty unspectacular??