Suck it up you Lyin buzzard!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Suck it up you Lyin buzzard!

Scollop wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:Geez, I was sorry to see him go.

I was sorry to see RL go as well.

While they were at the Saints I had some odf the best experiences I have ever had while being a Saints supporter.

I saw 19 straight win, in 2009, two fantastic finals wins, a wonderful GF week and then a heartbereaking narroe GF loss (that Zac almost won for us with the great spoil)

I saw us lose Roo for almost all of 2010, and still get top four, narrowly beat Geelong, flog the Dogs and then an even more heartbreaking GF draw - but I did get to see Lenny and bj on that day.

I would trade every horrible bottom dwelling year for those two years again in a heartbeat.

I would have Zac back in a heartbeat if i was guaranteed another two years like that, and the chances at a flag.
Personally I think Dawson was AND is easily replaceable. He played and plays an insignificant bit part. Lyon loves role players and Zac is definitely overpaid for his minor role. Freo's team pressure and their class midfield wins them games - not the contribution of Dawson.

I didn't realise our strength at the time that you so fondly remember was directly related to having Zac Dawson in the team. To get the sort of success we had in those 2 years took years of list building and RL failed after being gifted a team of matchwinners.

Yes you've gotta have a couple of good defenders, but let's not delude ourselves as to the value of Dawson. To put another perspective on the contribution Zac makes to Freo - How would Zac Dawson go at St Kilda right now? Maybe he'd plays his role well but we'd still be last on the ladder.

Think Luke Delaney....sound familiar...Delaney is playing his role and doing ok but you need matchwinners and ballwinners to win games of footy. If we are tinny enough to find someone as good as Nat Fyfe or if we could throw in a Mundy or a Barlow sized mid into our mix in the next couple of years (fingers crossed on Acres) perhaps that's when we start to climb back into the top 8.

I dont think you understood what he said. He wasnt saying we need Dawson now, he was saying they were great times and Im saying anyonew who thinks they werent is lying or hindsighting. We have that prrof from Stinger. Said he was always against RL until someone showed a post that showed that wasnt true.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:Geez, I was sorry to see him go.

I was sorry to see RL go as well.

While they were at the Saints I had some odf the best experiences I have ever had while being a Saints supporter.

I saw 19 straight win, in 2009, two fantastic finals wins, a wonderful GF week and then a heartbereaking narroe GF loss (that Zac almost won for us with the great spoil)

I saw us lose Roo for almost all of 2010, and still get top four, narrowly beat Geelong, flog the Dogs and then an even more heartbreaking GF draw - but I did get to see Lenny and bj on that day.

I would trade every horrible bottom dwelling year for those two years again in a heartbeat.

I would have Zac back in a heartbeat if i was guaranteed another two years like that, and the chances at a flag.
Personally I think Dawson was AND is easily replaceable. He played and plays an insignificant bit part. Lyon loves role players and Zac is definitely overpaid for his minor role. Freo's team pressure and their class midfield wins them games - not the contribution of Dawson.

I didn't realise our strength at the time that you so fondly remember was directly related to having Zac Dawson in the team. To get the sort of success we had in those 2 years took years of list building and RL failed after being gifted a team of matchwinners.

Yes you've gotta have a couple of good defenders, but let's not delude ourselves as to the value of Dawson. To put another perspective on the contribution Zac makes to Freo - How would Zac Dawson go at St Kilda right now? Maybe he'd plays his role well but we'd still be last on the ladder.

Think Luke Delaney....sound familiar...Delaney is playing his role and doing ok but you need matchwinners and ballwinners to win games of footy. If we are tinny enough to find someone as good as Nat Fyfe or if we could throw in a Mundy or a Barlow sized mid into our mix in the next couple of years (fingers crossed on Acres) perhaps that's when we start to climb back into the top 8.
So Dawson was not part of that team? As for your question about how he would go now. Not as good as Luke Delaney. Dawson was never a star, but he did his job.

I was never a huge Dawson fan, however he was part of an era that I would trade anything to be in again.

Dawson was never a star, but I think there is a bit of revisionism on the part of some when it comes to Dawson and Lyon.

Were there and are there better fullbacks? Of course. Did he do the job while at the Saints? Yes

You are garbage - Enough said
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Suck it up again Rossy boy.

Must really hurt, especially 31 frees to 11.

Noice

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Just HOW does Fremantle losing help the Saints? Just wondering is all?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Was torn on who I wanted to win tonight. Prob hurts freo more so I'll be happy with that.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Great game

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Suck it up again Rossy boy.

Must really hurt, especially 31 frees to 11.

Noice

loved it...shame that girlong had a win though....but seeiong freo lost i can live with it.. :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I must concur with SainterK! What a thumping good game it was to watch! Last evenings game between Richmond and Essendon was also a thriller! I hope that our game is a borefest of goals raining down from OUR side! :D

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Just HOW does Fremantle losing help the Saints? Just wondering is all?
Fremantle losing is Don.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Did you see when Pearce rushed a helicopter kick to no-one in Freo's forward line after he won the free? Danylle (or whatever his name is) has a habit of upsetting Rossy. Loved the reaction from Lyin as he stormed out of the coaches box and it looked like he wanted to go down and throttle Pearce. He probably composed himself as he realised all cameras would be on him, however I was not feeling well when I saw the buzzard with a smile on the boundary line.

There was only seconds to go as he gestured to Mundy and there seemed to a be a chilling calm about him. No way could you say that he or his team choked last night. I am concerned that he is learning new tricks but maybe the footy gods don't want to inflict any more pain on us poor Sainter supporters. I don't think the footy gods could prevent Lyin from venting his spleen with a nice old fashion ridiculing of Pearce, or at least a decent spray

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

If I was a Freo supporter I would take great heart from that loss. I think Geelong are playing their best footy at the moment, and Hawthorn look past it based on what I saw at the G yesterday. Port are gawn for all money. Freo are going to make top 4 and think they have the cattle to beat any of those sides in a final. Lyon still hasn't learned that he needs a third key tall in the forward line though and this ultimately cost him yesterday.
Interestingly I have heard commentators saying that he has more talent at his disposal at Freo. I find this curious as I have never seen Freo look anywhere near as dangerous as us when we were firing at our zenith. I think they mean a more even spread of talent. They do have five players well over thirty though and that must be something of a concern. Incidently, we have won 10 out of 12 gainst them, and all convincingly!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

op forum
how longs it been and we're still bumping a friggin thread on Lyon?
ffs

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I concur!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

http://m.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premi ... 7019052623

The familiar tale.

I reckon Freo may be building to the finals and if they play the Hawks in a qually in Melbourne could win. I'd love to write them off now but can't.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:op forum
ffs

don't like it...simple solution....don't read it ffs

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
matrix wrote:op forum
ffs

don't like it...simple solution....don't read it ffs

I suppose that also works for you as well.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

ffs!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

im telling you 2013/2014 is almost a mirror image of 2009/2010 period ...

in 2009 we had the two most dominant teams play off in the grand final with the team who suffered a heartbreaking g/f loss the year before managing to pull off the win - 2013 the two dominant sides met and the team who lost the previous years grand final found that little bit more to win on the day (both occasions poor kicking for goal would have shown a differant result)

in 2010 St Kilda were not as dominant and lost some games you would not have expectd to lose coming into the finals we were at best the third favorite to win the flag - 2014 freo have had some big stumbles and will head into the finals at best the third favorites for the flag ..

in 2010 we had a strong finals hitting our straps at the right time we beat the team who took our flag from us the year before first up sending them into a prelim against the red hot favorites that no one else besides their own fans liked we then took care of the also ran team in the prelim .. my tip for this year Freo will take on Hawthorn first up , they will beat them in a tight contest forcing them to play the Swans (a team that is not loved due to their purchase of players)in a prelim.. freo will then take on an also ran Geelong to make the grand final ... the swans will beat Hawthorn and we will have a Swans vs Freo g/f and like 2010 will come down to the wire ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Why would you consider Geelong losing in 2008 to be a 'heartbreaking' loss? They'd broken the drought the previous year.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Freo will take on Hawthorn first up , they will beat them in a tight contest
All credibility lost right there.

Sydney are on the same points as Hawthorn and Geelong. They are 2.5% behind Hawthorn and play St Kilda, Bulldogs and Richmond. They'll make up the 2.5% against us alone. They will finish on top of the ladder.
They have, arguably, the best midfield and forward line going around and have an extra $1M salary cap.
If they don't win the flag this year then they will view this as a lost opportunity.

Freo are still no certainty to finish top 4. They are likely to but not certainties.
Fremantle are two games behind Geelong and will, most likely, finish 4th and play Sydney at the SCG. Where they will lose.
Then, after winning their semi final, they'll play Hawthorn at the 'G PF weekend.
They won't make the Grand Final.

If they, by some miracle, do make the Grand Final, they'll have to travel across the country three times in four weeks winning twice.

In fact, since 2000 (when the current format of the eight came in) only two teams that finished the H&A season in fourth spot have made the Grand Final.
2002 (Collingwood) and 2006 (Sydney).

Fourteen years of this system and no team from fourth has won the flag.

Will. Not. Happen!

Eleven times either the first or second team has won the flag. That's where I'd be looking for the premier.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:Why would you consider Geelong losing in 2008 to be a 'heartbreaking' loss? They'd broken the drought the previous year.
heart breaking for them .... personally i took enjoyment in seeing Geelong lose the g/f

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Freo will take on Hawthorn first up , they will beat them in a tight contest

Sydney are on the same points as Hawthorn and Geelong. They are 2.5% behind Hawthorn and play St Kilda, Bulldogs and Richmond. They'll make up the 2.5% against us alone. They will finish on top of the ladder.
They have, arguably, the best midfield and forward line going around and have an extra $1M salary cap.
If they don't win the flag this year then they will view this as a lost opportunity.

Freo are still no certainty to finish top 4. They are likely to but not certainties.
Fremantle are two games behind Geelong and will, most likely, finish 4th and play Sydney at the SCG. Where they will lose.
Then, after winning their semi final, they'll play Hawthorn at the 'G PF weekend.

If they, by some miracle, do make the Grand Final, they'll have to travel across the country three times in four weeks winning twice.

In fact, since 2000 (when the current format of the eight came in) only two teams that finished the H&A season in fourth spot have made the Grand Final.

Will. Not. Happen!

Eleven times either the first or second team has won the flag. That's where I'd be looking for the premier.
people also said Freo couldnt make the g/f last year cause they had to play Geelong in Geelong .... fact is the beat Geelong in Geelong and earnt a home prelim final .... i reckon Freo could realistically beat Sydney at ANZ earning a prelim in Perth ...
also its not beyond the relm of possibility that freo could finish in third spot ...

its just a theroy i guess we will see how it pans out in a few weeks time ... that said im still tipping a Swans vs Freo g/f

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:

Will. Not. Happen!

I agree Freo will probably play Sydney but it will be at ANZ stadium so all is not lost on Freo winning that one and then they only ply teice more and one of those games is at home. I will certainly be hoping Freo win the final against Sydney.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I hope the Hawks go back to back. Freo winning a flag a d seeing a smug look on Lyin's face would make me ill

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I hope the Hawks go back to back. Freo winning a flag a d seeing a smug look on Lyin's face would make me ill

Yep its much better that the Hawks win something like their 12 in 40 years. I would love Freo to win it out of all the sides in the top 4.