Jarryn Geary ... Cats target?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jarryn Geary ... Cats target?

Will take a swap for Kersten

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Will take a swap for Kersten

Thats the point though. Cats dont have to give up anything.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:Excellent team man with leadersgip skills, key age/games profile, very hard trainer, 'not a d**khead', solid depth good AFL standard player...offer him a good deal, perhaps a touch overs to keep him...it will be a mark of the man as to what he chooses if Geelong trump that...I'd love to see a bit of good old fashioned loyalty, both ways here, and I have a sneaky feeling there will be...Out of interest, do people rate Gears as good as Stevie Baker?

Not in the same league as baker.

Bring back the Lockett era
dragit
Saintsational Legend

My guess is that we are only offering him minimum wage for 2 years… his manager is shopping him around, someone (cats) will offer slightly more for 3 years, which we will go close to matching and he'll stay.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

That's where free agency is wrong. The rich clubs always win

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

In my humble opinion, Jarryn Geary is a required player for the Saints. True, he is not in possession of the silkiest of skills, but he does possess TICKER and is hard at the ball, and the man with the ball. Every club needs a group of highly skilled players, but the most successful clubs also have space for someone like Gears! I think that our poor run of form owed plenty to the absence of Jarryn Geary.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
Take that in a heatbeat.

If we are to improve consistently in the next 24 months, there will be no spot for him. Simply a horrible kick and shocking decision maker that doesn't get a lot of the ball. Has guts, about it.
I'd send him on his way pretty much to free up the list space.. Shenton a much better bet right now, let alone Wright, Webster, Acres etc...

Not sure he is that bad. Pick 38 isnt a great pick and we have plenty of list space if we need it.
Pelican will get an indication of compensation then make an assessment. End of second round is Band 4 from a 5 Band compensation system. Big difference between Bands 3 and 4. 3 would get us pick 22. If Geary were on around 400k over 3-4 years Band 3 would be likely.

Yep but 2 or 3 years on 350k may only get band 4. What did Betts and Silvia get last year? I cant find that out.
Sylvia Band 3. Carlton didn't get compensated for Betts because they took Thomas as a FA.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
Take that in a heatbeat.

If we are to improve consistently in the next 24 months, there will be no spot for him. Simply a horrible kick and shocking decision maker that doesn't get a lot of the ball. Has guts, about it.
I'd send him on his way pretty much to free up the list space.. Shenton a much better bet right now, let alone Wright, Webster, Acres etc...

Not sure he is that bad. Pick 38 isnt a great pick and we have plenty of list space if we need it.
Pelican will get an indication of compensation then make an assessment. End of second round is Band 4 from a 5 Band compensation system. Big difference between Bands 3 and 4. 3 would get us pick 22. If Geary were on around 400k over 3-4 years Band 3 would be likely.

Yep but 2 or 3 years on 350k may only get band 4. What did Betts and Silvia get last year? I cant find that out.
Sylvia Band 3. Carlton didn't get compensated for Betts because they took Thomas as a FA.

Thanks for that.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:Incredible. Apparently Geelong are interested, but some say he is totally crap.

I suppose thats how Geelong have won three flags and are currently No.20n the ladder, you know by making poor decisions on crap players.

He is a warrior. I think if he's allowed to walk it's because Pelchen has a strong view on disposal quality. The only thing anyone could knock Geary on is his field kicking.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I hear what you're saying gringo, perhaps that's something for the skills coaches to work on with him?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:Incredible. Apparently Geelong are interested, but some say he is totally crap.

I suppose thats how Geelong have won three flags and are currently No.20n the ladder, you know by making poor decisions on crap players.

He is a warrior. I think if he's allowed to walk it's because Pelchen has a strong view on disposal quality. The only thing anyone could knock Geary on is his field kicking.
It is one of many issues with Geary.

What exactly is he (position-wise)?

His kicking is terrible, he is not a strong mark either. He is not known as a strong lock-down player either.

He can go to the Cats if he wants.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

It never ceases to amaze me how Geary so polarises people. The haters remember the bad kicks etc and the lover recall the leadership, toughness and enthusiasm.

FYI his disposal efficiency this year is 71.4 (just under the AFL average but still better than many elite players) he averages 16.4 possessions and 2.7 tackles..

For mine he is absolutely a required player and if the club trades either him or Armitage I will be wanting words. We cannot afford to trade out players in the 100 game bracket

I see last week someone posting that we need a killer image, well step up 14 and 20, the roles they are made for. I believe Geary is exceptionally respected within the club and does not have to be captain to be an exceptional leader of our young team.

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:That's where free agency is wrong. The rich clubs always win
*No, they don't.
Clubs with Salary Sap space and are threatening for a flag tilt will win because that's where the players want to go.

* Sydney are the exception to this rule due to their extra salary cap money.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

That's where free agency is wrong. The rich clubs always win

Dont think FA has shown that so far. Rich doesnt really matter because there is a salary cap. When we want FA you can bet we will get one or two.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Whatever they are offering, let's take it. I love his enthusiasm, effort and endeavour, but he is not the type the pelican is trying to build a team around. Kicking and decision making are not good enough. You may quote 71% efficiency in kicking, but that masks what he actually does under pressure. When under the pump, I doubt his efficiency is better than 20%. The overall figure is pumped up by the short chip and sideways, uncontested possessions. He's a GOP at best. We have others who are as good, or better.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Hallalj#3
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:Whatever they are offering, let's take it. I love his enthusiasm, effort and endeavour, but he is not the type the pelican is trying to build a team around. Kicking and decision making are not good enough. You may quote 71% efficiency in kicking, but that masks what he actually does under pressure. When under the pump, I doubt his efficiency is better than 20%. The overall figure is pumped up by the short chip and sideways, uncontested possessions. He's a GOP at best. We have others who are as good, or better.

Nailed it average player at best, makes horrible decisions with and without the ball. If he wants to go let him go get a 2nd rounder if we can, perception is everything and you need to strike when the Iron is hot.. If Hawks wanted to trade McEvoy now there is no one out there that would offer up 2 first rounders and a player for him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:I know that Damien Barrett is a flog , but he mentioned on the Sunday footy show that Geelong are chasing Jarryn Geary.

Any thoughts?
Yes his contract is up for review, and Player Manager 101 is to leak rumors that another club wants your player in order to try and drive his price up.

Then again Gear'y Manager may be the first in the history of the AFL to not try this tactic.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Armo will be our next captain, not Geary.
Or Dunstan.

Roo may satay Captain for 2 more seasons.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Goodbye Jarryn. You put your body on the line far too many times for the good of team. But other than that, well...the least said the better.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote:Goodbye Jarryn. You put your body on the line far too many times for the good of team. But other than that, well...the least said the better.
wow thanks for your positive thoughts, with supporters like you who needs trolls!

fyi 6th in b&f in 2012 and 4th in 2013

Hows your record in the red white and black?

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:
perfectionist wrote:Goodbye Jarryn. You put your body on the line far too many times for the good of team. But other than that, well...the least said the better.
wow thanks for your positive thoughts, with supporters like you who needs trolls!

fyi 6th in b&f in 2012 and 4th in 2013

Hows your record in the red white and black?

Well it isnt great. he called jack the biggest dud to ever wear a Saints jumper. Charming from a so called Saints supporter.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Anyone see Savage's game playing as the small running HBF on the weekend???? Contrast that with Geary's game when he runs out of defence and launches his "Hale Mary's".

Which is the more damaging player?

NOW LETS LOOK AT THIS ANALYTICALLY LIKE PELCHEN AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE WILL

Geary is a hard nut, one of hardest at the club. Has a fantastic work-rate and attitude, and is very consistent. But that consistency includes poor kicking and decision-making.
He is a CJ, or Steven Baker type, but cannot rack up the possession numbers of either of those two when in the midfield, and so is limited to be a small defender.
Plus Weller and Curren have the midfield tagging position nailed for now as they have demonstrated that they can play this role better than Geary can.

As a small defender he will also be competing against:

Savage, Wright, Webster, Newnes, Murdoch, Shenton and Ray.
Plus Roberton and Gilbert have the ability to play on smalls as well as talls. Dempster can play on mediums and smalls.
So that is a lot of competition for a small defender's role.

In addition both Savage and Webster both have the type of boot that you want your defenders to have - so that they can set up play. The match committee is likely to plumb for them when they are both available.

Now upping Geary's value is that he is 26 which is an age profile that we lack and his excellent attitude, workrate etc. You do need some players in your 22 that have huge hearts and work their buts off, and for example that was a big advantage of players like Blake, CJ and Bakes throughout their careers.

CONCLUSION

The club would prefer to keep him, but IF an attractive trade was offered Pelchen would jump on it quickly!!

FA wise however compo would like be small as any contract another club would offer would not be that large, and that is a big determinant in what band of competition we would gain.

Moneywise, Geary is at a great time to renegotiate as the club will have spades of salary cap room, and will still need to pay 95%. Paying overs for Roo and back- ending the best young talent will only get you so far. So if he stays he may gain more than he is worth due the current circumstances. There are 2 more years before the Saints will most likely be looking to lure very talented players with FA deals.

FQF
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
FQF wrote:Armo will be our next captain, not Geary.
Or Dunstan.

Roo may satay Captain for 2 more seasons.
That's true, but if Roo gives it away end of this year or end of next, I wouldn't want to heap that onto Luke. If Roo does hold onto it for 2 more years then Dunstan would be a captain in his 4th season which is a good time.

But if Armo finishes of this year playing in the same way he has played as of late, then I think he will make an admirable captain.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

tough call either way.

Realistically he isnt part of our next GF side.. but conversely his value comes from his commitment to training,attitude and effort as the example for what will help mould our next GF side.

If you can get a really good trade deal for him then yes, but letting him walk as a FA and getting a 3rd rounder or worse then no.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
stinger
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Whatever they are offering, let's take it. I love his enthusiasm, effort and endeavour, but he is not the type the pelican is trying to build a team around. Kicking and decision making are not good enough. You may quote 71% efficiency in kicking, but that masks what he actually does under pressure. When under the pump, I doubt his efficiency is better than 20%. The overall figure is pumped up by the short chip and sideways, uncontested possessions. He's a GOP at best. We have others who are as good, or better.

they wouldn't be offering anything mate...they can just take him

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.