The importance of winning in the way we did, against Freo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The importance of winning in the way we did, against Freo

The importance of winning in the way we did, against who we did.

Since about the Lions game the Saints had fallen over a cliff in terms of intensity, workrate, running, presenters and all the 1%ers that good teams need to do. Indeed which even average teams need to do.

AFL footy is now such a COMPLETE team game, that teams get torn apart if they do not play team football.

Last night SHOWED all of our younger players what can be achieved when they ALL AS A UNIT do the team things....as well and reminding many of the more experienced what they need to do week in, week out...and for FOUR quarters.

Coaches can explain this, and explain this ad nauseum, but what drives it home is when it all clicks on the football field. Players then KNOW, what is required, they know where the bar needs to be, and they know the magic that then results when it all clicks.

So next time, they KNOW that when they run that bit harder and present, or back up, or lay that extra tackle, shepherd, or smother that it DOES make a difference.

Many of of our youngsters now more clearly know what is expected, and what needs to be delivered.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Re: The importance of winning in the way we did, against Fre

Agree. Can't think of too many guys who lost the battle with their direct opponent, although I'm sure there was a couple of close tussles. Mainly though we played as a unit, and as exciting as it was seeing the brilliant efforts of Roo and Rhys i was just excited at some of the great roles played by guys like Roberton, Murdoch and Curren and the emergence of Savage, the continued development of Dunstan and Billings who have become regular fixtures in their first seasons, plus great games by Newnes and Ray. Even Schneids did some great team stuff and used his experience and it's so reassuring to have Fisher back in defence, and Gwilt look at his most assured for ages. Dempster's selfless act and courage set the tone. I love Shenton's willingness to take on the game, and Delaney has quickly become of my fave players with his fearless attitude. Can't remember so many positives from one game. Watching Stevo in his suit embrace Monty and Roo in the rooms afterwards and be so clealry stoked for his mates was inspiring in its own way as well, plus the gusto with which the guys belted out the song. Excited to see us all grow as a team under Richo's guidance and watch his gameplan and vision be gradually grown into; even though we still face a couple of years of pain given our inexperience and the impending loss of a couple of legends/stalwarts (I'm going to miss having Lenny run out for us so much) there's definitely strong light at the end of the tunnel...

As an aside, can anyone recall a time when a side was smashed by someone 16 spots below them on the ladder? Or when a side who was 16/1 head to head won by 10 goals? I'm sure there's been other big upsets over the years but the 18 team structure's only been in place for a couple of years so the first one might be a record?

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Agree with the Posters. They will be able to draw on this wonderful win for a long time - the great feeling of the win, the combined team effort and the intensity needed to get the job done ....... and importantly, that they "can" get to that level :!:

No doubt, as with all young teams, future efforts will ebb and flow.

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

I was just thinking too that it was really exciting footy to watch, if this is going to be how Richo wants us to play as a team moving forward I'll be happy with that. I didn't mind the old defensive game plans while we were winning, but if we can achieve positive results with a more attacking mindset it could be great to watch in a few years...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Club will be a much more motivated and nicer place for the players to be around now leading up to next year.

Means that we can head into pre-season on a positive note. As opposed to the death spiral that we were on.

PJ
SS Life Member

My only dilemma now is what to expect in our next round. Seriously, are we going to be an attacking, fearless team or are we going to bring differing approaches to each game? Is this what we do now or was it a plan specific to Fremantle?

Will we go back to how bad we were or will we be more consistent? This was such a turn around it's almost jekyle/hyde like.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

While we no doubt will be still up and down, hopefully now the players as a group will apply greater effort over the four full quarters.

In too many games this year we have seen one quarter efforts.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Joey made the point in a post game interview - it's important that the younger guys knows what it feels like and what is possible when you play in a team that runs, chases, tackles, smothers .....for each other all the time.

Not saying we will be able to replicate it every week but learning-wise...a massive lesson.

happy feet
Club Player

As well as a great win, we have shown the other finals teams how to dispatch Fremantle. My prediction is that they will exit the finals in straight sets.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote:As well as a great win, we have shown the other finals teams how to dispatch Fremantle. My prediction is that they will exit the finals in straight sets.
from your mouth to God's ear!
Super coach already the most losses in a GF without winning one,
In 6 more seasons he will have coached more games than any other non-flag winning coach!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
happy feet wrote:As well as a great win, we have shown the other finals teams how to dispatch Fremantle. My prediction is that they will exit the finals in straight sets.
from your mouth to God's ear!
Super coach already the most losses in a GF without winning one,
In 6 more seasons he will have coached more games than any other non-flag winning coach!

You seem more interested in Freo and RL than you do our club. I reckon thats all a bit strange.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

No, absolutely love St Kilda but my joy in Lyon's continued failure is cherry on the cake!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:No, absolutely love St Kilda but my joy in Lyon's continued failure is cherry on the cake!

Losing a home and away game is failure? Well every coach has failed this year. Well we certainly fixed the RL problem with our next coach didnt we. You remember how happy you were to have him at the time. Im unsure of your judgement after that call. Hopefully our current coach can get us to the last week in September and this time get us a win. Those weeks in 2009 and 10 were the best 2 weeks of my footy life.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:No, absolutely love St Kilda but my joy in Lyon's continued failure is cherry on the cake!

Losing a home and away game is failure? Well every coach has failed this year. Well we certainly fixed the RL problem with our next coach didnt we. You remember how happy you were to have him at the time. Im unsure of your judgement after that call. Hopefully our current coach can get us to the last week in September and this time get us a win. Those weeks in 2009 and 10 were the best 2 weeks of my footy life.
Just compare Lyon's record at either Freo or Saints with Tommy Hafey's years at Collingwood and see how that ended.
And Tommy already had 4 flags on his CV at that stage.
Reckon Lyon has this year and next to make a name for himself before he joins Wallace, Eade and Craig.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Just compare Lyon's record at either Freo or Saints with Tommy Hafey's years at Collingwood and see how that ended.
Reckon Lyon has this year and next to make a name for himself before he joins Wallace, Eade and Craig.

No worries. its all opinions.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Lyon's inability to get Freo up for our game was probably due to them being in a 2 week training mode in the lead up to the finals.

It backfired like a dodgy curry and hopefully costs them a home final.

We are not 10 goals better than Freo. No other team this season will be asleep at the wheel like they were.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Lyon's inability to get Freo up for our game was probably due to them being in a 2 week training mode in the lead up to the finals.

We are not 10 goals better than Freo. No other team this season will be asleep at the wheel like they were.

Yep it would be much better if Sydney got a home final. SP you hate Sydney and you hate RL. Its going to be a fun time for you in the finals. Maybe the Hawks can win it again. Thats even better. About 12 flags in 40 years.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Let's not get carried away.
We can''t afford to win any more games like that before the end of the season.
As it stands we have a No1 draft pick to use or trade.

Win one more game like that and we are staring at pick No4.
That is far less valuable as a trade.
Pick No1 guarantees a club doing the trade the player of their choice.
Pick No 4 only guarantees a good player but not the one they really want.

Not only that, we also lose any argument for a priority pick.
Not that it is likely this year, but it undermines our chances of a priority pick in the next couple of years as well.

Stay calm, rotate players to give everyone game time, but don't put that group of players or team structure on the park again this year.
Our future premiership may depend on it.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Let's not get carried away.
We can''t afford to win any more games like that before the end of the season.
As it stands we have a No1 draft pick to use or trade.

Win one more game like that and we are staring at pick No4.
That is far less valuable as a trade.
Pick No1 guarantees a club doing the trade the player of their choice.
Pick No 4 only guarantees a good player but not the one they really want.

Not only that, we also lose any argument for a priority pick.
Not that it is likely this year, but it undermines our chances of a priority pick in the next couple of years as well.

Stay calm, rotate players to give everyone game time, but don't put that group of players or team structure on the park again this year.
Our future premiership may depend on it.

Cant afford to win anymore games like that? Why would a saints supporter not want to win more games like that? When was the last pick one that was the best player in that year. Reckon it was Rooy. Id take 5 more wins and finish 13th than no more wins and finish 18th. Who wouldnt want to win Lennys last home game at Etihad or his last melbourne game or his last ever game. Or who wouldnt want to win for our GC supporters or our Sydney supporters. Yep we can afford many more wins like that this season. 5 more matter of fact.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

We can win 3 possibly 4 of Lenny's last 5 games. Couldn't give a tinker's toss bag about draft picks.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Looking at the game, I reckon AR told his players to straighten up, go direct and also to go for goals if the ball carrier was anywhere within kicking range. Just hope he tells players to take more risks and not go back into sideways crab football.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I thought the same, Lyon said there was no extra load going on in his presser.
Anyone remember Essendon dismantling us in 2009 (they were a million ahead got a ton of injuries and fell over the line, in 2010 they completely flogged us)

A certain game plan on occasions can completely flummox the Lyon setup. Our change of structure, taking on the corridor, going long with Savage, Newnes, and Fisher, and Roo up the ground PLUS, the Dockers looking forward to a holiday and being psychologically off was more to do with it.

Plus Longer gave us first use. Sandilands would not have allowed that. Also we fired up for Lenny. Dermie said we had played listless football and Saturday was all effort.

You are garbage - Enough said
Andreous
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:The Club will be a much more motivated and nicer place for the players to be around now leading up to next year.

Means that we can head into pre-season on a positive note. As opposed to the death spiral that we were on.

Completely agree

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I acknowledge Freo may have subconsciously taken it easy, or that they may have been in a heavy training load phase. The fact is they got smashed by the bottom side and the margin would've been much greater if we had've kicked straight in the third quarter.
The commentators did keep mentioning they were missing Sandilands, Hill and Ballantyne, but we were just as hard hit by absences as they were. Part of what excites me about this win is we did it without Steven, Gilbert, Hickey, Geary, Webster and Wright. Plenty of talent to come back. I bet every other coach in the competition will be watching the game on high rotation to work out how the saints did it. The shockers midfield and defence were shredded. To quote the Soup Nazi, " No premiership for you, Ross!"

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
spert
Saintsational Legend

No doubt, AR put a lot more work into the defensive game of the forward line and midfield, as it has been missing for a couple of months. This stopped the Freo half backs running and linking with their midfield. I noticed a lot more risk-taking by us in general...thank God!