Richo on drafting Saad

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Richo on drafting Saad

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:I watched some old games when I stayed somewhere with foxtel and we watched a game against carlton from a couple of years ago. Saad looked like a gun. Was one of our best players. It's easy to forget how good he was. Most of his games were along side Milney too who got all the traffic that didn't go to Rooey.

Light watching highlights packages. You can pick one game where Shenton did very well but he maybe delisted. His last season was ordinary and he was dropped at least twice. It looks like we will take him but he should be a rookie. We already have plenty of players that get dropped from time to time.

Highlights packages are still a decent window but don't always show the bad habits. I remember watching Ledgers VFL highlights last year and every kick seemed to go to the opposition though. Saad had a great game and you can't fake that. Watching a full game and seeing his involvement and application does show his ability just not consistency but he was better than I had remembered. His last year was less impressive than his first but he wouldn't be the first player to have second year blues.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:I watched some old games when I stayed somewhere with foxtel and we watched a game against carlton from a couple of years ago. Saad looked like a gun. Was one of our best players. It's easy to forget how good he was. Most of his games were along side Milney too who got all the traffic that didn't go to Rooey.

Light watching highlights packages. You can pick one game where Shenton did very well but he maybe delisted. His last season was ordinary and he was dropped at least twice. It looks like we will take him but he should be a rookie. We already have plenty of players that get dropped from time to time.

Highlights packages are still a decent window but don't always show the bad habits. I remember watching Ledgers VFL highlights last year and every kick seemed to go to the opposition though. Saad had a great game and you can't fake that. Watching a full game and seeing his involvement and application does show his ability just not consistency but he was better than I had remembered. His last year was less impressive than his first but he wouldn't be the first player to have second year blues.

No he wouldnt but he wont have trained in the AFL for 18 months and he will be around 25 years of age.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
lewdogs wrote:Good news. I loved Ahmed, has a lot to offer and still young.
You know he'll be 25 in a couple of months, right? I wouldn't call that "still young".
But right in the middle of our "missing" demographic (although I grant you a season's experience shorter because of the ASADA holiday).

Always loyal
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Saad had a long long way to go before the suspension IMO, and quite frankly, I didnt think he'd make it..

He's even further behind now, and I honestly can't see how he can be of any real use.

If he is not the level of Walters or Ballentine as a pure small forward, then he is not worth persisting with as then he'll need to be able to transition through the midfield, which he has never shown any indication he can do.

These days, if you are to be pigeon holed into 1 specific position, you need to be super elite, otherwise multiple roles are necessary.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

I'd have him back as long as the club is allowed to put him through tests before hand. Is he allowed to interact with a club in that manner?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:I'd have him back as long as the club is allowed to put him through tests before hand. Is he allowed to interact with a club in that manner?
Not until the suspension is up. The only interaction the club can have is by providing welfare services.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:
Griggsy wrote:I'd have him back as long as the club is allowed to put him through tests before hand. Is he allowed to interact with a club in that manner?
Not until the suspension is up. The only interaction the club can have is by providing welfare services.
Didn't I read somewhere they have obtained (or at least asked for) permission to conduct fitness tests in advance of the draft?

Always loyal
bigballs
Club Player

SemperFidelis wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
Didn't I read somewhere they have obtained (or at least asked for) permission to conduct fitness tests in advance of the draft?
You read right SF....don't think it's been approved yet.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6959066932

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Saad had a long long way to go before the suspension IMO, and quite frankly, I didnt think he'd make it..

He's even further behind now, and I honestly can't see how he can be of any real use.

If he is not the level of Walters or Ballentine as a pure small forward, then he is not worth persisting with as then he'll need to be able to transition through the midfield, which he has never shown any indication he can do.

These days, if you are to be pigeon holed into 1 specific position, you need to be super elite, otherwise multiple roles are necessary.
pbly sums it up for me

i like the guy

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Good luck to him.

Always loyal
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I like Saady I hope he gets another crack.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I like Saady I hope he gets another crack.

Why not. We haven't got enough suggested players yet with AFL experience. I will actually be pissed off it we pick one under 18 players. Lets just get all AFL experienced players.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

With 4 rookie spots, Saad is a shoe-in to be rookied.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:With 4 rookie spots, Saad is a shoe-in to be rookied.

He is but surely that isn't what we as a bottom side should be using it for.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

The guy played better footy in his short career than half our side did this year… so I have no problems with adding him, he will improve the list & has some elite qualities.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:I like Saady I hope he gets another crack.

Why not. We haven't got enough suggested players yet with AFL experience. I will actually be pissed off it we pick one under 18 players. Lets just get all AFL experienced players.

Saad is a fairly known quantity and fills a hole with TDL and Milera gone. I think there is a big difference between him and a GWS kid who is basically a draft pick with 2 years development. Jaksche is not in the same boat as a has been like O Keefe. I think Saad is still young enough and a positive influence around the club. He can also play a bit.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

The guy played better footy in his short career than half our side did this year… so I have no problems with adding him, he will improve the list & has some elite qualities.
But he cant play till round 12 baring injury. Don't see any point at all. He will be rookied by us though.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

But he cant play till round 12 baring injury. Don't see any point at all. He will be rookied by us though.
Huh?

He's eligible from February 2015, isn't he?

Always loyal
saint6709
Club Player

I am hoping he has spent some of his time out working on his left foot - that will bring another dimension to his game

loris
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Huh?

Me thinks he means, if Saad iis on the rookie list he wont get a game unless there is a long term injury........... or until that rule re upgrading rookies comes in sometime around June/July??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Huh?

If he is rookied. Surely we wont waste our limited picks on him in the main draft.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Ah. Thanks Loris. It's been a long day ...

Always loyal
loris
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:Ah. Thanks Loris. It's been a long day ...
That's OK..... is that horse hair wig scrambling the brain a little :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

loris wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:Ah. Thanks Loris. It's been a long day ...
That's OK..... is that horse hair wig scrambling the brain a little :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
8-)

Always loyal