The Recruit

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Re: The Recruit

BringBackMadDog wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:Reverse racism at its finest.

Can the show move away from Waylen Manson at all please?

If I wanted to watch a socially-awkward boy who plays football 'just to see girls' coupled with terrible body language butchering english I would watch something else.
He's socially awkward because he lives in one of the remotest parts of our country and maybe he butchers the English language because he speaks his indigenous language.
Get a clue before you write such rubbish
Good for him.

It also does not take away from the fact that it is reverse racism and he is being pandered to because of his 'amazing ability'.

The bloke wanted to quit after one running session carrying a block of concrete.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I hope Vossy is just putting it on for the cameras. If not, it's not hard to see why he's not an AFL coach anymore.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
FQF
SS Life Member

White Winmar wrote:I hope Vossy is just putting it on for the cameras. If not, it's not hard to see why he's not an AFL coach anymore.
Why's that? I thought he was impressive.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
White Winmar wrote:I hope Vossy is just putting it on for the cameras. If not, it's not hard to see why he's not an AFL coach anymore.
Probably went a bit early on that, FQF. I thought his opening sequences were a cringeworthy, cliche fest. It got a bit better as the show went on. I'll put it down to early nerves and trying too hard to impress. As for Manson, what a rare, if raw talent he is. The show made a good fist of showing just how difficult the road into the AFL is for those from remote communities. The culture shock is enormous. I found the focus on Waylen the most interesting part of the show. If they could get him to adjust psychologically, not just to the rigours of AFL, but to the social aspects as well, you'd have a special recruit on your hands.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
FQF wrote:
Probably went a bit early on that, FQF. I thought his opening sequences were a cringeworthy, cliche fest. It got a bit better as the show went on. I'll put it down to early nerves and trying too hard to impress. As for Manson, what a rare, if raw talent he is. The show made a good fist of showing just how difficult the road into the AFL is for those from remote communities. The culture shock is enormous. I found the focus on Waylen the most interesting part of the show. If they could get him to adjust psychologically, not just to the rigours of AFL, but to the social aspects as well, you'd have a special recruit on your hands.

If anyone wants to see Manson play he is playing for beaumaris in the Ammos and I understand the eventual winner plays for Xavs in the Ammos.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
FQF wrote:

If anyone wants to see Manson play he is playing for beaumaris in the Ammos and I understand the eventual winner plays for Xavs in the Ammos.
Brendan Goss who is good mates with Dan Hanneberry? Recruiters have been sniffing around Goss for a few years now. Wouldn't surprise me if he's the winner.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
FQF wrote:

Brendan Goss who is good mates with Dan Hanneberry? Recruiters have been sniffing around Goss for a few years now. Wouldn't surprise me if he's the winner.

Yes saw him in the GF last year against St Bedes. Goes very well and there was success last year with Ambrose from Xavs. he has had a great year at Esssendon. Told today he wins it. Could be crap but there isnt a hell of a lot to beat.

FQF
SS Life Member

I was under the impression that the winner is not decided. The winner is determined by the clubs who choose to bid. Would be near impossible to keep the result under wraps for so long otherwise?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Yes saw him in the GF last year against St Bedes. Goes very well and there was success last year with Ambrose from Xavs. he has had a great year at Esssendon. Told today he wins it. Could be crap but there isnt a hell of a lot to beat.
Very classy player from all reports. The knock is his fitness. Doesn't have the tank to play midfield.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:

If I wanted to watch a socially-awkward boy who plays football 'just to see girls' coupled with terrible body language butchering english I would watch something else.
He's socially awkward because he lives in one of the remotest parts of our country and maybe he butchers the English language because he speaks his indigenous language.
Get a clue before you write such rubbish
Good for him.

It also does not take away from the fact that it is reverse racism and he is being pandered to because of his 'amazing ability'.

The bloke wanted to quit after one running session carrying a block of concrete.

What form does this racism take? You feel you have been racially vilified because you had to watch him? He is featured so he upsets you a lot? That's an interesting take. I guess it's exactly the same as when Winmar famously pulled up his jumper and pointed to his skin the way you have called this out. The trauma must be horrific and the unfair opportunities this outrageous character has received must make you feel like you have been marginalised by society.

I hope the AFL print some banners up and have a round dedicated to your heroic stance against this hate crime you have experienced. I think White Winmar is qualified to counsel you through this tough time if you need it.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Yes saw him in the GF last year against St Bedes. Goes very well and there was success last year with Ambrose from Xavs. he has had a great year at Esssendon. Told today he wins it. Could be crap but there isnt a hell of a lot to beat.
Very classy player from all reports. The knock is his fitness. Doesn't have the tank to play midfield.
Spoiler alert, P66 and OM!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

BTW, P66, do you know how Waylen is going at Beaumaris? At least we have a nick name for him - "Smithers".

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:BTW, P66, do you know how Waylen is going at Beaumaris? At least we have a nick name for him - "Smithers".

I think like most of them they have only played one game. Well certainly those near the end.

saintmick

I wonder what Adam Goodes would say when asked about Waylen's remark on the show, stating, he has to share a house with 12 white fellas ?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintmick wrote:

I wonder what Adam Goodes would say when asked about Waylen's remark on the show, stating, he has to share a house with 12 white fellas ?

I think he would say I dont get your question.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

saintmick wrote:

thats your first post ... seriously :roll:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Look. I don't know who wins it or why they win it, but I came acroos it last week and thought it was fantastic. Some real good Aussie Humour - how's the bloke when asked what the biggest crowd he's played in front of? Replies stumbling over his words 'I don't know 2....' Fitzy '2 what? Two hundred?' He says. 'Nah. Just 2.' :lol:

Watching poor old Waylen in the 'rate a mate' segment was compelling painful TV. Who didn't want to just go and put their arm around him. Not only were all the guys in the room older than him, but come from completely different backgrounds.

I loved it, but not sure how you can guarantee an AFL contract out of it.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Bump.

Anyone still watching??

I saw Pelchen in one of the episodes, watching from the stands.

Moreland and Wagner look the favorites heading into the last 2 weeks, both have a bit to offer, but also a couple of "areas to work on".

Anyone willing to throw a rookie spot to any of them??

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'm watching.

I've warmed to Reece, only cause he reminds me of Blake :)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Im still watching and got the winner completely wrong. None of them look close to AFL but the guy from SA is clearly the best. Doesnt mean he will win it. A club might like the idea of a tall as they dont have to get the footy as much. Like the show though but the players arent to flash. Ryan Semmell is also close to the best but at 26 he has no hope.

older saint
SS Life Member

Still watching and think Johann probably the most promising, good acceleration and finishes well ( from what you can tell from an edited TV show). As you are looking at it as a rookie though i would think clubs more interested in the 2 bigs from Ireland and Volleyball and more upside and bigs take longer to develop so not as far behind as some others already running around in the 2's

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Still watching and think Johann probably the most promising, good acceleration and finishes well ( from what you can tell from an edited TV show). As you are looking at it as a rookie though i would think clubs more interested in the 2 bigs from Ireland and Volleyball and more upside and bigs take longer to develop so not as far behind as some others already running around in the 2's
Lost interest in the show after 3 episodes. I think it's poorly produced.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

I'm still watching and love the show.

Im a big fan of Johann Wagner and I think he will win it. He reminds me a lot of Isaac Smith from Hawthorn.

Saints94
SS Life Member

LTN16 wrote:I'm still watching and love the show.

Im a big fan of Johann Wagner and I think he will win it. He reminds me a lot of Isaac Smith from Hawthorn.
Yeah I think he will win it aswell. Bit weird comparing him to Smith though 2 different footballer's lol

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Saints94 wrote:
LTN16 wrote:I'm still watching and love the show.

Yeah I think he will win it aswell. Bit weird comparing him to Smith though 2 different footballer's lol
How is it weird? Wagner is 190cm 90kg Smith is 188cm and 85kg both play on a wing and the way he runs and moves is very similar to Smith..