Spencer White must play

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: Spencer White must play

kosifantutti wrote:But her name wasn't Betty White.
Maybe her maiden name?

Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:But her name wasn't Betty White.

I know. I was just using the well known Betty White to make a joke. My mind has lots of weird stuff swirling around all the time - random thoughts, jokes,puns - mainly caused by caffeine drip and being a Sainter, lol.

A lot of it does tend to go through to the keeper when made public. 8-) :lol:

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

After watching him in the VFL today, he is a long way from AFL standard, just doesn't work hard enough. There was one passage of play where we were working the ball down one wing and white was alone on the opposite wing just slowly jogging down the ground. The entire bench were screaming at him to run harder to get into space in forward 50, only then did he actually make any effort to get going. Only when he does these things automatically should he be considered

ace
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
bigcarl wrote:It will be hard to keep him out if he does well again tomorrow. It's not as if the seniors are setting the world on fire
Yep playing him against Freo and let's smash any confidence he has and destroy a potential career. .

Could happen. Keep him away from the AFL level until next year.
How could Zac Dawson smash anybody's confidence.
Might smash his body but Zac gives every forward confidence.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
stinger
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
bigcarl wrote:It will be hard to keep him out if he does well again tomorrow. It's not as if the seniors are setting the world on fire
Yep playing him against Freo and let's smash any confidence he has and destroy a potential career. .

perfect time to play him i believe.....he has more natural footy smarts in one finger than that wimp/sook dawson has in his whole body...imho that is....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
ace wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

perfect time to play him i believe.....he has more natural footy smarts in one finger than that wimp/sook dawson has in his whole body...imho that is....

That shows your lack of footy knowledge IMO of course.

Freebird
Club Player

It would not hurt to give him a taste imo

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:It would not hurt to give him a taste imo

I dont get this. he obviously struggled again today and doesnt sound anywhere near ready. He will play when and if he is good enough. from what I keep reading and have seen his main problem is work rate. Please dont reward players for things even the biggest hacks in the world should be good enough to do.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He doesn't sound desperate to play so I wouldn't play him.

It would send a bad message that you can get a game without having to give 100%. Is that the type of culture we want to build? It's not like he has any runs in the bank.

It's a shame he hasn't grabbed the opportunity Richo wanted to give him.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:After watching him in the VFL today, he is a long way from AFL standard, just doesn't work hard enough. There was one passage of play where we were working the ball down one wing and white was alone on the opposite wing just slowly jogging down the ground. The entire bench were screaming at him to run harder to get into space in forward 50, only then did he actually make any effort to get going. Only when he does these things automatically should he be considered
Based in what you've said and how well we are run he should get a 3 year contract extension.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

It's not as if White is going to take the spot off a better tall.
If White happens to win just 6 or 8 possessions - that'll still be on par with everyone else we've tried
(and who have failed).

re: workrate -
He'll probably provide more forward/defensive pressure than any of the other tall players we've tried.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:It's not as if White is going to take the spot off a better tall.
If White happens to win just 6 or 8 possessions - that'll still be on par with everyone else we've tried
(and who have failed).

re: workrate -
He'll probably provide more forward/defensive pressure than any of the other tall players we've tried.

I would think if he plays he plays as a wing man more than a KPF. He is speedy and not really strong enough to use his body one on one yet. If we played Bruce, Rooey and White across the forward line it might at least upset Freo's planning.

lloyd21
Club Player

It would not hurt to give him a taste 8-)

Couple of points. 8-)

:D He did not struggle " Jason Dunstall " could have played forward and hardly got a kick I watched it was at game live ! his 1st Quarter was not that bad.

Field kicking was a disgrace from other players up the ground over his head ,backwards ,sideways kicks the only player who can kick was Murdoch hence keep him on the list.

jamesmc
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Firstly lets see what he does in a much weaker competition. It seems that because we see how poor some of the players are going that the ones at sandy would be better. Well clearly that isnt true at all.
Disagree, sometimes if you have a " special " talent, you just need to put them in at the deep end. Coz that talent tends to lift to the standard that is required.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jamesmc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Firstly lets see what he does in a much weaker competition. It seems that because we see how poor some of the players are going that the ones at sandy would be better. Well clearly that isnt true at all.
Disagree, sometimes if you have a " special " talent, you just need to put them in at the deep end. Coz that talent tends to lift to the standard that is required.

Like who? And is White a special talent?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If he debuted against Freo, it would be similar to Jackson Ferguson vs Petrie/Black last year.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:If he debuted against Freo, it would be similar to Jackson Ferguson vs Petrie/Black last year.
Agree.

All this "Spencer must play" stuff is putting horrible pressure on the lad.

If he can put together another couple of strong efforts in the VFL then they can consider giving him a taste against the Bulldogs at the Dome.

But there is no rush.

The more people demand his debut the more likely they'll be disappointed when it happens.

Be patient.

Freebird
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

I dont get this. he obviously struggled again today and doesnt sound anywhere near ready. He will play when and if he is good enough. from what I keep reading and have seen his main problem is work rate. Please dont reward players for things even the biggest hacks in the world should be good enough to do.

You don't get a lot of things 66 that's why you should not try and chair this site...

Give him a game to show him how much harder he has to work then send him back unless of course we're holding someone else back or someone deserves it.

Plug which of our key forwards deserves a game before White...Im pretty sure we have many players in many positions that do not deserve games.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You don't get a lot of things 66 that's why you should not try and chair this site...

Give him a game to show him how much harder he has to work then send him back unless of course we're holding someone else back or someone deserves it.

Plug which of our key forwards deserves a game before White...Im pretty sure we have many players in many positions that do not deserve games.

I get that you make things personal most of the time. I will comment if I disagree whether you like it or not. Its an easy thing to solve it though. Report my posts or put me on ignore. Stanley and Roo deserve a game more than White and we are only playing 2 at the moment but if we play 3 then Bruce would be miles ahaead of White. Why the rush? How will it help White if he gets game when he doesnt deserve it. Anyway it matters little what we think. If AR wants to play him he will and if he doesnt he wont. At the moment he doesnt but who knows if that will change.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Even KB and the Buzz wants him to play soon although they think he is only some mythical creature who doesn't actually exist.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
PJ
SS Life Member

The hype around Spencer atm seems a bit over the top.

Would love to see him in RWB but not for my curiosity sake, only if he is ready.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saintbob
SS Life Member

Bring him in, but not as a key forward play him on a wing.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:Even KB and the Buzz wants him to play soon although they think he is only some mythical creature who doesn't actually exist.

I heard that segment. I hope White is able to show KB one day that the hype surrounding him is justified.

IMO the raw talent is there. The rest comes down to attitude, luck with injuries and, most of all, hard, hard yards.