Anyone watch AFL360 last night?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Anyone watch AFL360 last night?

When Gerard was talking about Pav?

Said that he doesn't buy into the going out on a high theory, and what is there to lose if Pav plays on and doesn't see out the year?

Hasn't diminished how everyone reflects on Brown or Glass that they haven't seen the year out.

Could of been talking about our Len.

It's exactly how I feel about him playing on next year.

Who cares if he doesn't see the year out, but what if he can play a good chunk of games?

bigballs
Club Player

Re: Anyone watch AFL360 last night?

Lenny has had a fantastic career and has been a great warrior for us, no one needs to be reminded of that.

Would love to see him go on next year, but if you're body's telling you it's time to call it a day, then it's time to call it a day.......Lenny will know when his time is up.

Having said that, I think deep down Lenny would love to get to 300 games.......not many players get to do that, so if that means he only plays a handful of games to get there next year, then so be it.

Whatever happens and whatever he decides to do, Lenny will go down as one of the all time greats, not just for our club, but for football in general.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

We neeeeed him to go around again!

asiu
Saintsational Legend

a handful of games ='s another pre~season

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I am fond of the idea that he signs up for 11 games on the field amd 11 in the coaches box next year.
After that I am resigned to the fact he will probably take an assistant job elsewhere.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

You are a long time retired and it would be great to see him get to 300 games or more. A real milestone!

It's up to him- his body, mentally and another preseason. We are in a position where it does not matter if he doesn't get through all of next season.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dont think Lenny will go on next season. He wouldnt just play to get to 300 games IMO. I wish he would and I doubt he would just play some games and then give up. Reckon he is out of here sadly. And if we want him to coach us in the future I think he needs to go to another club.

howlinwolf
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Dont think Lenny will go on next season. He wouldnt just play to get to 300 games IMO. I wish he would and I doubt he would just play some games and then give up. Reckon he is out of here sadly. And if we want him to coach us in the future I think he needs to go to another club.
I hope you're wrong Plugger but I get the same feeling. We don't get much to celebrate and I would love to go to a 300 game send of for the great man.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Dont think Lenny will go on next season. He wouldnt just play to get to 300 games IMO. I wish he would and I doubt he would just play some games and then give up. Reckon he is out of here sadly. And if we want him to coach us in the future I think he needs to go to another club.
I remember we wanted Harvs to coach us and he went to another club but doesn't look like coming back. How quickly we forget our greats.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
longtimesaint
Club Player

I don't know why he wouldn't go on -his form has been good. Would be close to leading our B&F

One year will be our year
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
I remember we wanted Harvs to coach us and he went to another club but doesn't look like coming back. How quickly we forget our greats.

He hasnt come back because we didnt regard good enough to be our senior coach. How does it help him if he just learns under AR and our systems. he knows all that. He needs other coaches and how other clubs do things and if he never comes back then bad luck. When was the last great who never left their club and was a successful coach? I cant think of many at all.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:

He hasnt come back because we didnt regard good enough to be our senior coach. How does it help him if he just learns under AR and our systems. he knows all that. He needs other coaches and how other clubs do things and if he never comes back then bad luck. When was the last great who never left their club and was a successful coach? I cant think of many at all.
He could have stayed with us and learned the craft under the myriad of coaches he's had during his career.
From Baldock, Sheldon, Alves, Watson, Blight, Thomas, Lyon, Watters and now Richardson (I am sure I've missed some in there). Plus the year he spent at the Blues.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:

He could have stayed with us and learned the craft under the myriad of coaches he's had during his career.
From Baldock, Sheldon, Alves, Watson, Blight, Thomas, Lyon, Watters and now Richardson (I am sure I've missed some in there). Plus the year he spent at the Blues.
Yep but he doesnt find out how other clubs are run. When was the last succesful coach who never left his club? Now that you have told me all that whats your actual opinion on what lenny should do?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Yep but he doesnt find out how other clubs are run. When was the last succesful coach who never left his club? Now that you have told me all that whats your actual opinion on what lenny should do?
Lenny should do what Lenny wants to do. He's earned the right to decide his own fate.
Oh...and to answer the second point...Paul Roos.
Finished playing. Took some time off overseas involved in football development in the USA. Returned as an assistant to Eade at the Swans. Then coached them to a flag.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Yep but he doesnt find out how other clubs are run. When was the last succesful coach who never left his club? Now that you have told me all that whats your actual opinion on what lenny should do?
Lenny should do what Lenny wants to do. He's earned the right to decide his own fate.

Well that is 100% obvious but lets just play a little game and pretend he wants your opinion. What would you suggest he does?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

Well that is 100% obvious but lets just play a little game and pretend he wants your opinion. What would you suggest he does?
Not he should give a rat's tossbag what anyone on this site thinks but I'd love to see him go on another season and reach the 300 game milestone.
My "advice" to him would be if that if he thinks his body can hold up for another season then saddle-up.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

Not he should give a rat's tossbag what anyone on this site thinks but I'd love to see him go on another season and reach the 300 game milestone.
My "advice" to him would be if that if he thinks his body can hold up for another season then saddle-up.

Thanks. That would be my advise also but I think he isnt going to take any notice of either of us and he will retire IMO.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

alan jeans

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

alan jeans

He was a much better coach at the Hawks. Also that was 53 years ago.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Totally disagree Jeans was a better coach at Hawthorn...
That side had so much talent that Alan Joyce coached them to a flag.

You seem to have missed my Paul Roos example.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:Totally disagree Jeans was a better coach at Hawthorn...
That side had so much talent that Alan Joyce coached them to a flag.

You seem to have missed my Paul Roos example.

We had a side that was capable of winning 3 to 4 flags. We won one. Of course he was better at the hawks. the Joyce flags were because of Jeans. I say all this about the saints part of it because that what my Dad says and it as does the chairman of selectors of our flag side who is my dads best mate. I was too young but I reckon he would know. Maybe you were old enough to see all of it.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

The Hawks had a side capable of winning another 5!
They were that good.
We should have won 71.
All interviews with players I've seen from that era said we rested on our laurels after 66.
Our lack of success was more about culture than coaching.

Still no response to Roos?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:The Hawks had a side capable of winning another 5!
They were that good.
We should have won 71.
All interviews with players I've seen from that era said we rested on our laurels after 66.
Our lack of success was more about culture than coaching.

Still no response to Roos?

I dont even know what that even means. I suppose the chairman of selectors wouldnt know. Our side was friggin good in the mid 60's. Should have won at least 3 if our coach had just a little more experience which he had by the time he went to the hawks.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
When did we want Banger to coach us?
I don't, ever….

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:

Roos