Who do we need?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainters85
Club Player

Who do we need?

Our Forward Line: Rubbish
Our Midfield: Under Average
Our Backline: OK

I think its obvious that we need to draft a good, strong and talented tall forward, possibly be the next Riewoldt.. We have White coming through and Bruce looks to be a good key forward from his performance in the VFL..

Our midfield lacks pace and class, we need some fast young talent aswell as some classy mids

Our backline is OK but can be improved

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who do we need?

Mids and then a few more mids and then just in case get more mids. Get older forwards and backs. Looks like it will work with Delaney and Bruce. Forget any ruckmen unless they can mainly play forward and even then get a mature guy.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Ross Lyon to return!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

A Rooey replacement is urgently needed.

I have been saying this for at least 3 years now - it would be good to recruit players who can kick properly. Poor kicking is costing us momentum in nearly every game. It's simply woeful. Sipo would be the best, but his form is just not there. Minchington is also very good, but nearly all of the others are very disapointing.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Tall forward and outside speedy mids. Skills and decision making a must.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Tall forward and outside speedy mids. Skills and decision making a must.

2 x fwds. We cant just rely on one 'spearhead messiah. GWS and GC have 3 each.

Plus 2-3 outside speedy mids who can kick.

4-5 new gun players can make a BIG difference imo.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Tall aggressive mid and outside mid with speed. Both need excellent kicking. Get forward through psd or trade or free agent.

oldie60
Club Player

Its an interesting point about kicking because when they attend the draft camp most of the kids drafted are said to be elite with the ball. Why can't some of these guys be strong on both sides of the body.I think if we wish to be successful we need to somehow reinvent a style of football that becomes the benchmark for the club be it by having heaps of running players with strong bodies and quick decision making. I know its easier said than done but the way the game evolves you need to be looking at the type of game plan you wish to have and try and recruit specific types to put the plan into play.At the moment its hard to gauge what Richo's game plan/style is due to the lack of cattle on the park but hopefully we recruit players that have the ability to play a brand of football that will take us forward.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Tall forward and outside speedy mids. Skills and decision making a must.

2 x fwds. We cant just rely on one 'spearhead messiah. GWS and GC have 3 each.

Plus 2-3 outside speedy mids who can kick.

4-5 new gun players can make a BIG difference imo.
Agreed but we won't fix the tall forward issue in one offseason. Grab McCartin this year and hopefully another next year.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Midfield talent for me - it wouldnt of mattered if we had Lockett forward today our mids and flankers are way below sub standard!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
SMS
Club Player

We need KPPS but I dont think we should get them this year the talent is thin
We need FAST SKILLED midfielders

We have INSIDE MIDS (dunstan, Curren, Rossetc.)
We Have flankers - Billings, Acres, Newnes, Murdoch, Wright

Dont forget about the above they are great youngsters. We need KPPs and a few fasties.

damienc
Club Player

This is a good thread. Thank you for posting. We urgently need a replacement for Roo even though he is irreplaceable. Because we are almost certain to take the wooden spoon that will give us the number 1 draft pick. So we have the pick of the best young player in the country and this year we are blessed with a number of tall forwards putting their hands up to be selected. McCartin I like a lot. He does have type 1 diabetes but that should not hamper his football career. But I think we also need a tall, marking CHB. I rate Durstin from SA. But let's not forget the possibility of free agency. I am pretty sure that the club would not pass up the opportunity to grab an established AFL star who was coming out of contract even if they had to pay a motzza to get him. Tippett and Franklin have transformed the Swannees into Premiership favourites. And if they win this year's flag Sydney will have done brilliantly recruiting wise. Just wished those guys were playing for us. Mind you the Swans have a pretty good group of on-ballers who can kick straight to a team-mate.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would still prefer to try to get one of GWS forwards and get petracca or a mid with our first pick. We probably need a big lump key forward but I think we could do better with guys like Rhys lee and White with good delivery. A clone sized forward would give that extra get out of gaol player.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Mids with speed
another key forward.

defence is ok atm

could Webster be a mid? outside runner no idea what's going on with Joey atm

Fortius Quo Fidelius
dragit
Saintsational Legend

A couple of years ago all we needed was ruckmen, key forwards, medium forwards, key backs, medium running backs, inside mids & outside mids.

I think we now have the ruckmen bit sorted out, so just need to address the other 6 positions.

I'm a little dubious of the key forward messiah idea… They take so long to develop and often just never fulfil their potential. I don't see a lot of hulking key forwards dominating games either, but this may change.
Last edited by dragit on Mon 07 Jul 2014 4:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:Mids and then a few more mids and then just in case get more mids. Get older forwards and backs. Looks like it will work with Delaney and Bruce. Forget any ruckmen unless they can mainly play forward and even then get a mature guy.
Yep, lets get some mids

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

We need some guys with explosive pace who can break the lines. No point getting more mids who aren't fast. I think we've got enough inside players.
No point trying to get the next Riewoldt because there isn't one. We need to rebuild our forward line around at least two talls who can take contested marks with other guys who can push up the ground, rotate on the ball and have good goal sense.
I suppose it's too much to expect all of that in this draft/trade period.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Jeremy Cameron would be a good get.
Pacy mids, such as Paul Ahearn, Jackson Nelson, Touk Miller, Jared Garlett, Jayden Laverde, Kyle Langford, to name a few.

Rusty 1963

Have a look at Matt Spangher from the Hawks

Grrrrr
Club Player

Rory Sloane...

PJ
SS Life Member

I think Paddy may be the go (love the physical presence he brings) but I'm a little worried about Petracca turning out to be the next dominant mid in the league.

Not fussed about the need to replace Roo headline that is dominating the media. I think perhaps we need to be thinking in the opposite direction - create a new kind of forward line, not so reliant on 1 player.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
noob
Club Player

As plugger eluded we just need midfielders. Players with great spread. We don't need any inside midfielders. No point recruiting these forwards, if players can't even hit a basic target to Riewoldt. The problem we currently have is that we have way too many half bank flankers (players that are not good enough to become genuine midfielders). Sydney have at least a dozen decent midfielders. We've got about 3.
The backline structure will get stronger as well with decent midfielders that know how to spread well defensively and cause pressure on the ball carrier. We just look so slow at the moment.

lewdogs
Club Player

Agree with plugger. We're crying out for midfielders that can win the football and use it. We need about ten more at the moment.

Once we have that, watch the forwards thrive.