jon anderson's top 20 draft picks..and now emma's

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Re: jon anderson's top 20 draft picks

borderbarry wrote:After watching both games yersterday, all the top 20 and phantom drafts are obsolete. Disappointed in so many of the top kids. I thought the tiny S.A. captain was brilliant. Also that the new Garlett kid was by far the best of the indigenous boys on offer, unless Paul Ahern is indigenous. The S.A> lad was the best of the big boys by far.
Yep - best value talent may in fact be from SA this year. Durdin with our first pick provides a great tall forward option - bit hard to judge Mcartin because he had rubbish delivery field. Johansen with our 2nd round pick provides great outside run and great delivery. Peter Bampton with our 3rd round pick is another Luke Dunstan type. Would have featured heavily in the carnival and was a likely SA captain - but got injured. Made his Senior sanfl debut last year. Fourth pick Caleb Daniel - ball magnet with great outside run and carry. Will be overlooked by most clubs due to his height. All SA boys have played senior footy as 16 or 17 year olds and it seems to be a pretty good barometer of whether they can get a game at AFL level.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Great to hear your opinions Zed and BB. And the others who have actually watched some games.
If you leave it to the Herald Sun they will only ever pump up Victorian players.
If you believe the HS and even Emma Quayle it is only Wright, McCartin, Goddard, Petracca, Brayshaw.

Change of subject - pisses me off how the Swans get zone players. Why cant we get Tom Lynch back from the Gold Coast? Blairgowrie kid.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Spinner wrote:From what I saw of the first half Wright played ruck... Played well but hard to impress forward when you're not.

If that happened he is the last player we need.
Why not, you can never have enough

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Spinner wrote:From what I saw of the first half Wright played ruck... Played well but hard to impress forward when you're not.

If that happened he is the last player we need.
Why not, you can never have enough

Is that a joke? We have to many ruckmen as it is especially now that only one pure ruckman works in a game. Longer will get dropped this week if Hickey plays.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

emma's take on the draft....worth the read...she always is.....

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... zskft.html

"For the first time ever, the national under-18 championships have been played over six, home-and-away rounds. All four first division sides - Vic Country, Vic Metro, South Australia and Western Australia - have had to give 32 players at least two games throughout the series, making for unsettled sides but giving recruiters the chance to look at more players than usual. Five months out from a draft that looks likely to be dominated by Victorians, here are 25 players to watch for in the final two rounds of first and second division games to be played in Geelong and Melbourne on Friday, Saturday and next Wednesday and Thursday."

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
oldie60
Club Player

Re: jon anderson's top 20 draft picks..and now emma's

I've watched Paul Ahern growing up and he has a touch of the Chad Wingard about him. Played basketball since very young age playing rep and excelled at athletics and of more recent times football. Probably a good pick up from 40 onwards. Great kid from a fantastic family.Watch him.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Liam Duggan is a blood relative of mine. His grandmother and my mum are first cousins

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Oldie60, I read somewhere that Paul Ahearn is indigenous. He does not look it. Do you know if he is or not? Great little player. Love to have him at the Saints.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ill reserve judgement until after this next bunch of matches.

lt does seem unfair that the swans will get two top 30 prospects when they will be top 4 again.

On the other hand if we end up with 3 top 20 picks through a priority pick I wont be saying a word about fairness as we probably dont deserve it. I'll just shut up and take it politely :D .

oldie60
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Oldie60, I read somewhere that Paul Ahearn is indigenous. He does not look it. Do you know if he is or not? Great little player. Love to have him at the Saints.
Yes, Mum is indigenous and dad is anglo. Really great people and of high morals. As i said Paul has played heaps of basketball combining rep basketball with his junior footy and its beginning to show. Actually spoke to his mum last Sunday and i congratulated her on Paul's potential future and she's just so down to earth about it. Basically the old Mum and Dad doing everything for their kids and the kids understanding the sacrifices parents make.He also has a younger brother who currently plays under 16's and is part of the Cannons set up as well.Mum would be stoked as she's a diehard Saints member.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Under 18's game/s on Fox now- wed 3pm >>

Weller the younger is in the Qld team

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Webb and McCartin looking good for Vic country.
On now

bigred
Saintsational Legend

We need a standout David Strooper type.

All headbands and sunglasses.

THAT is the kind of footballer you blow a number one pick on.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Lukas Webb from Gippsland Power would've done his chances no harm. A taller version of Jack Billings. Clean hands, beautiful left foot kick, and bagged four in the loss to WA. Definitely one to watch.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Lachie Weller is going to be on SEN during the next hour or so.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

on now 7.15

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rosco
Club Player

Don't know anything about the kids coming thru, haven't seen any games

But

I'm nervous about taking a big bloke, ruck/fwd type with pick 1, when they aren't a clear standout like Patton and Boyd were. Will be nervous for years as well, waiting for him to develop.

Best mid available?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I don't disagree about any of the big boys. Boyd, Hogan, Cameron and Patton all sitting above the talls in this years comp imo. But there aren't any standout mids either. I know Brayshaw, Petracca, Ahern etc might be wonderful players but not standouts yet.

It's not doom and gloom, but drafting pick one is fraught with danger this year, give me two chances in the top 10 or the more preferable option, one of Shiel, Treloar, Lynch, Cameron, Boyd or Patton for pick 1 any day of the week.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Im no expert but it seems like picks 1 to 5 are an absolute raffle this year.
No advantage at all being bottom 5.

Same for last year really where the top 5 or 6 were all very good but this year not as good overall.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

the little bloke from S.A. with the helmet.............a real goer

very small

but so is Harvey

not a traditional 1st/2nd pick

but CAN PLAY

saint4life
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

St Ick wrote:I don't disagree about any of the big boys. Boyd, Hogan, Cameron and Patton all sitting above the talls in this years comp imo. But there aren't any standout mids either. I know Brayshaw, Petracca, Ahern etc might be wonderful players but not standouts yet.

It's not doom and gloom, but drafting pick one is fraught with danger this year, give me two chances in the top 10 or the more preferable option, one of Shiel, Treloar, Lynch, Cameron, Boyd or Patton for pick 1 any day of the week.
What Ickster said!

And as several have pointed out, we have sorted our salary cap so we will be in a position to go raiding :twisted: to fill holes in a season or two.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I also agree with Pluggs re not using a high draft pick on a ruckman unless he's John McIntosh. Just get an older mobile bloke who is good enough to prevent his opponents from winning too many hit-outs to advantage.

I also agree with Pluggs re the importance of a killer midfield...
Look at the E-girl's last premeirship team... they basically had the killer midfield (including Cox), and... not much else.

However, I believe we also need key position players.
Look at the Teddy's... four GFs in a row for three flags in a row.

So that's E-girls... killer midfield and little else... one flag.
Teddy's... killer midfield and top notch key forwards and defenders... three flags.

(Lack of quality key position players is why the Poodles didn't win a flag recently... they got BBBB one year too late.
Lack of quality key position players is why it's obvious that Carlscum and the Tuggers won't win a flag with their current plethora of high draft picks.
And similarly, it's why Nuff Nuff won't.)

That said, the 'order' in which we recruit certain types of player doesn't matter, as the Pelican has positioned us to be able to recruit top quality from the national and preseason drafts, and from Free Agency.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:I also agree with Pluggs re not using a high draft pick on a ruckman unless he's John McIntosh. Just get an older mobile bloke who is good enough to prevent his opponents from winning too many hit-outs to advantage.

Look at the E-girl's last premeirship team... they basically had the killer midfield (including Cox), and... not much else.

Teddy's... killer midfield and top notch key forwards and defenders... three flags.

(Lack of quality key position players is why the Poodles didn't win a flag recently... they got BBBB one year too late.
Lack of quality key position players is why it's obvious that Carlscum and the Tuggers won't win a flag with their current plethora of high draft picks.

That said, the 'order' in which we recruit certain types of player doesn't matter, as the Pelican has positioned us to be able to recruit top quality from the national and preseason drafts, and from Free Agency.

I agree with all of that as well but Geelong won 3 premierships on the back of elite mids with a young Hawkins and Mooney, that weren't great. Their mids made Mooney better and Hawkins was too young.
WCE would have won two premierships if BBBB got rubbed out.

We just need luck and hope our recruiters don't pick smokeys.
Just keep getting best available mids. Especially aggressive ones. (That's why Lamb and Patrecca appeal to me)

Snag a kpf through free agency / preseason draft. Doent have to be special if our mids are elite.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:I also agree with Pluggs re not using a high draft pick on a ruckman unless he's John McIntosh. Just get an older mobile bloke who is good enough to prevent his opponents from winning too many hit-outs to advantage.

I will comment but I have no idea at all who the Teddys are. Lets guess its Brisbane or the Lions as they are known by 99.9% of the population. Firstly the game has changed so much since they played. Its all about big sized mids now. Some are close to the height of KPP. I cant go on with anymore comments because I really have no idea who these clubs are. Dave just a little tip that maybe completely wrong. I reckon people would rather see real names for teams especially as it isnt even slightly funny IMO of course.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:Snag a kpf through free agency / preseason draft. Doent have to be special if our mids are elite.
Agreed. Look at the last fifteen premiership sides and their big forwards:

2013: Franklin, Roughead, Gunston
2012: Goodes, Reid
2011: Hawkins, Podsiadly
2010: Cloke, Dawes, L Brown
2009: Hawkins, Mooney
2008: Franklin, Roughead
2007: Mooney, N Ablett
2006: Q Lynch, Hansen
2005: Hall, Goodes
2004: Tredrea, Thurstans
2003: Lynch, Brown
2002: Lynch, Brown
2001: Lynch, Brown
2000: Lloyd, Alessio, Barnard
1999: Carey, McKernan, Welsh

Which of those guys were early picks who developed at one club for years? Hawkins, Franklin, Roughead. That's about it. There's a lot of late picks there.

But also a lot who changed clubs. Gunston, Franklin, Reid (maybe), Podsiadly, Dawes, L Brown, Mooney, N Ablett, Q Lynch, Hansen, Hall... Looks like there's no need to use an early pick on a tall forward and develop them for five years, you can just pick them up down the line.

And that's even more the case with free agency.

Mids, mids and more mids. If we've got a quality midfield then finding a tall forward who can get on the end of a few is going to be the least of our worries. If we haven't got a quality midfield then we just won't win, regardless of our talls.