Positives from the Tigers game.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Positives from the Tigers game.

Umpires disappointing again and I know the old chestnut that poor sides blame umpiring but the umpiring was lopsided to put it nicely.

Slowly but surely we are presented with some hope...Stanly holding marks and I stated last game that we now have real prospect ruckman in Longer. Minchington shows a bit.

Billings a Quiet one and Stevens can do better.

Another 2 seasons in the doldrums but I can see some light.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Positives from the Tigers game.

Savage and Stanley. Both are important to our future. Savage is one of the few players we have who can break the lines with pace and run and Stanley looked likely today. He can, at least, take a contested mark, and apart from Roo, we don't have anyone else who can.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Savege for me. Really looked up and about. Just needs to get rid of a few weak defensive efforts. Longer was great today. Improving every week. Stanley did what he should be doing weekly. Lets see him next week. Love Webster. He has some real grunt. Minchington holds his spot. Full game next week.

Shenton, Minchinton, savage, websters courage, Ross was good

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Just back. Shaking my head again about the umpiring, but that was hardly the difference.

Savage is a beautiful kick; he should hold a clinic for some of our veterans. I really like him off half back.

In addition to some of the others named in other posts above, I add in Dunstan again as another big positive. Again, showed poise and some beautiful kicking today.

And very happy to see Rhys have some success in his 50th.

Always loyal
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Still here. Having a coffee. Happy bout most things but particularly Stanley, Savage, Minch & Weller

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Again, Stanley showed what may be possible, was our best tall forward today and if some of those midfield players would honour some of his leads like they should have today, that would go a long way to taking the heat off Roo.
I have this really bad feeling that if Stanley had been picked up by Geelong or Hawthorn, he would be the player we think he can be, because those clubs were actually developing their draft picks while we were playing hacks instead.
As for other positives, Savage, Minchington, Shenton, Delaney and if you take away the first quarter and the last 5 minutes, we broke even.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Improved efforts and consistency from Savage, Weller, Minchington, Stanley, Shenton, Longer, Newnes albeit against a pretty average team. They need to keep showing that level of base line effort week after week.

noddy04
Club Player

Just on the umps.....we had a bad run v Port with number 25.....we had number 25 again today.....just sayin

saint6709
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:Improved efforts and consistency from Savage, Weller, Minchington, Stanley, Shenton, Longer, Newnes albeit against a pretty average team. They need to keep showing that level of base line effort week after week.
Agree - accept for newness - who barely touched it

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Gears has been helping out Sav

PJ
SS Life Member

Savage has really picked his game up fantastic pick up.

Billy was very good in the ruck and getting better week by week. Will be hard for Tom to get his spot back.

Special mention to the Minch - thought he was gone in the early part of the season but on todays game he'll get a real shot at an upgrade.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

for mine , happy with joey, gwilt, savage ross, rhys, shenton, webster and to a lesser extent newnes....and off course billy longer...great game fom him...

umpiring was crap.....i reckon that roo could get mugged and shot before those maggots would give him a free....have no idea what vickery got one of his frees and goals for...he was just out muscled by gwildt who didn't even lay a and on him....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saint wagga
Club Player

Where was this Shane savage at seasons beginning!?! I'd dare say that the last 2 games are 'better' than anyone could have hoped for when he was traded in!! Longer, best afl game, nearly at 20 games, looking more rounded at afl level, great signs!! Minchington for mine looks our most natural attacking small forward, looked classy, 2 goals, enough said, holds his spot and deserves a full game against the blues. Stanley - our best 2nd forward option ATM and responded well to dropping and re selection, holds his spot. Seb Ross, starting to see some consistency at afl level, 20 touches, plenty of work in the clinches and beginning to look more offensive, stays in.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

PJ wrote:Savage has really picked his game up fantastic pick up.

Billy was very good in the ruck and getting better week by week. Will be hard for Tom to get his spot back.

Special mention to the Minch - thought he was gone in the early part of the season but on todays game he'll get a real shot at an upgrade.
Agree. Bit of humble pie being dished up to some on here, not that he has 'made it' but he is showing a bit.

As for Minchi, I'll stand by my comment that he is a much better player on the big stage.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:Gears has been helping out Sav
This makes some sense to me now. He seems much harder at the contest.

Whatever he's doing, he needs to keep doing it!

Always loyal
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote:Umpires disappointing again and I know the old chestnut that poor sides blame umpiring but the umpiring was lopsided to put it nicely.

Slowly but surely we are presented with some hope...Stanly holding marks and I stated last game that we now have real prospect ruckman in Longer. Minchington shows a bit.

Billings a Quiet one and Stevens can do better.

Another 2 seasons in the doldrums but I can see some light.
Damn straight. If Minchington comes on then we get Weller, Eli, Shenton and Michington all from the rookie list.

This works a few ways.

It allows us to take the minimum of 3 high draft picks come draft time but also it allows us to clean-out potential players at the end of the year full-knowing who and what we are replacing them for.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

oops I forgot weller....like this kid

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Umpires disappointing again and I know the old chestnut that poor sides blame umpiring but the umpiring was lopsided to put it nicely.
Last week, yes, but you are one eyed if you think the umpires had any impact on today's game!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Shane Savage was always going to be good honest serviceable outside player.
Of course he will take time going from chocolates to boiled lollies

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Last week, yes, but you are one eyed if you think the umpires had any impact on today's game!
not advocating it had a huge impact but when you consider the soft frees they got in front of goal and that we couldn't buy one at the other end does make a difference.

You don't agree?

philtee
Club Player

Didn't run up the white flag until last five minutes. 2nd and 3rd quarters were pretty good, showing plenty
of chase and aggression..we actually won the 3rd quarter. Lack of forward options is a killer. Slow start
didn't help.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Happy with Savage , Longer, Minchington, Delaney, Shenton, Milera and Webster(though he should be on ball or forward of centre)..all will improve. Stanley did a few good things, but just needs to be consistent and do it more often. Negatives to me are from a coaching perspective- team again not switched on at first bounce, game lost again in first quarter. Terrible midfield structure with no defensive strategies obvious, allowing opposition mids clear path through centre area at ball ups, and general clearance work is appalling.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Happy with Savage , Longer, Minchington, Delaney, Shenton, Milera and Webster(though he should be on ball or forward of centre)..all will improve. Stanley did a few good things, but just needs to be consistent and do it more often. Negatives to me are from a coaching perspective- team again not switched on at first bounce, game lost again in first quarter. Terrible midfield structure with no defensive strategies obvious, allowing opposition mids clear path through centre area at ball ups, and general clearance work is appalling.

I will say it again. I have watched AFL for a long time but I still dont see how a supporter knows its a terrible midfield structure. Maybe the players just arent good enough at the moment. Can you tell me how they structure up now at stoppages and how they should? And how does all our coaches get jobs if you can see the structure is all wrong?

Spert you are going to be complaining for at tleast another year and half because of 2 things. We will probably get worse before we get better and AR will still be coach until the end of next season.

Fluttz
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:Happy with Savage , Longer, Minchington, Delaney, Shenton, Milera and Webster(though he should be on ball or forward of centre)..all will improve. Stanley did a few good things, but just needs to be consistent and do it more often. Negatives to me are from a coaching perspective- team again not switched on at first bounce, game lost again in first quarter. Terrible midfield structure with no defensive strategies obvious, allowing opposition mids clear path through centre area at ball ups, and general clearance work is appalling.

I will say it again. I have watched AFL for a long time but I still dont see how a supporter knows its a terrible midfield structure. Maybe the players just arent good enough at the moment. Can you tell me how they structure up now at stoppages and how they should? And how does all our coaches get jobs if you can see the structure is all wrong?

Spert you are going to be complaining for at tleast another year and half because of 2 things. We will probably get worse before we get better and AR will still be coach until the end of next season.
Certainly nothing to do with structure. As Richo said in his post match press conference, too many blokes were getting sucked into the contest to try and win the footy. Just looks horrible when we don't win the ball and there are 3 or 4 opposition players on the outside putting the afterburners on. Fixing little things like that with more communication and awareness with the players on field will go along way to ensuring we are in games for longer.