I hate negative/negating players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Batnoe
Club Player

I hate negative/negating players

Have been meaning to write for sometime regarding this , but the post re Curran now a Tagger instead of a midfielder annoys me.

Why are there taggers? Why does a coach feel the need? Doesn't it already mean you've given into the other teams midfield if you need one?

Surely if you had a good ruckmen and 3 good ball winners then you don't need 1 taking out their best player that still invariably gets the ball enough to still have an impact?

We have Jones, Weller and Curren as 'run with' players. Would it be such a bad idea to tell Weller to get the ball himself instead of trying to stop another player?

I know we made a few Gf's, however we didn't win. Maybe negative football can't win premierships!? If we had another pure mid could we have won?

Port, Swans, Pies, GC, cats are the best going around currently with most having quality ball winners and making other teams follow them..

So why do it? Just get the ball and sack the s***

Carn Saints
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: I hate negative/negating players

Been awhile since I've seen the mushy face avatar....

saintjake
Club Player

One of my biggest pet peeves as well.

Right up there with defensive forwards.
Just select players who know where the goals are and let them go.
Give them direction and tell them that forward pressure is important.
But let them play their natural game, once the confidence comes and they feel part of the team I'm sure the defensive tackles and everything will follow.
Consistency is key.

saintjake
Club Player

And on the midfielders.
Why not back your own player to find his own ball and be effective.
Asking someone to be a rather to me always seems a slap in the face.
"Okay, you can play this week but don't get the ball. You have to just stop their best player. Don't play your natural game, we don't think you are good enough."

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Batnoe wrote: Why are there taggers? Why does a coach feel the need?
For the same reason they put defenders on forwards, to negate their output.
Batnoe wrote: Maybe negative football can't win premierships!? If we had another pure mid could we have won?
Sydney have done it twice, almost three times. And they're a chance to do it a third this year.
Batnoe wrote:Port, Swans, Pies, GC, cats are the best going around currently with most having quality ball winners and making other teams follow them..
Cornes, McGlynn, Macaffer, Guthrie. Almost every team has one or two.

PurpleHayes
Club Player

Stupid thread. Modern day football has plenty of negating players, simply because sometimes you come up against a side that has a gun midfielder in it that you want to stop rather than go head to head with.
The better ones hurt their opponents by going the other way. Eg Ling, Crowley, Carrazzo, Sewell, Cornes etc..
Show me a premiership team over the last 10 years that didn't have a good 'negator'...??

FQF
SS Life Member

Simple equations really.

1) B Harvey v M Weller (attacking)

Harvey gets 27 possessions and 1 goal, 75% efficiency, lots of run and carry, brings other players into the game, a momentum generating player.
Weller has 23 possessions, 1 goal, 70% efficiency, solid game but not game changing.

2) Harvey v Weller (tagging)
Harvey gets 15 possessions, no goals, minimal impact, doesn't build momentum for the team.
Weller gets 12 possessions, no goals, frustrates Harvey, draws a couple of frees as a result.

You could argue either way which is more valuable, but in my opinion, option number 2 would further the team's chances of winning.

Batnoe
Club Player

And at times we've had 3 in the team

Jones, Curren and Weller.

We're currently last in contested possessions.. Perhaps it's because our players are more interested in trying to stop their player getting it instead of getting it themselves..

Carn Saints
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:And at times we've had 3 in the team

We're currently last in contested possessions.. Perhaps it's because our players are more interested in trying to stop their player getting it instead of getting it themselves..

I thought our contested possessions was going OK. I thought it was uncontested that was the problem.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

plugger66 wrote:

I thought our contested possessions was going OK. I thought it was uncontested that was the problem.
Is that because we have too many inside types (like taggers) in the team at once?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Is that because we have too many inside types (like taggers) in the team at once?

Im not sure taggers are the problem. i think onlky Weller is tagging at the moment. We just have to many inside players on our list and not enough runners. By the way I hear Torquay goes ok.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

plugger66 wrote:
True Believer wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Im not sure taggers are the problem. i think onlky Weller is tagging at the moment. We just have to many inside players on our list and not enough runners. By the way I hear Torquay goes ok.
Goes great - get yourself lunch at the Jan Juc pub if you ever get the chance - Parma's you couldn't jump over!! Bloody cold at night though at this time of year......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
True Believer wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Goes great - get yourself lunch at the Jan Juc pub if you ever get the chance - Parma's you couldn't jump over!! Bloody cold at night though at this time of year......

You feel the cold when you are blind?

Batnoe
Club Player

We're actually 3rd last

In front of Melbourne And lions only

Carn Saints