Forward set up

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

Forward set up

It's been rubbish recently.

I'm surprised that Siposs seems to keep getting cut, he at least gets some shots on goal.
Any merit in Bruce just playing forward for a few games?

Anything else we can try?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Forward set up

I actually thought Siposs was starting to show a bit before he was dropped, but they must have their reasons.

Lee's being given a chance to sew up full forward and I hope he takes it. He looked okay in patches yesterday.

I reckon Siposs could play that position, but his lack of centimetres is costing him. It seems that full-forwards must be able to lend a chop out in the ruck these days, or at least that is the conventional thinking.

saintjake
Club Player

Personally I like the option of Siposs the most.
Just seems like a natural forward, has a booming kick and strong hands.
But he hasn't seemed to get an extended run at it yet.
There has to be something he isn't doing, I really hope it's not just about tackles or something like that.
I know forward pressure is important.
But I'd rather have Siposs up forward having three or four shots at goal and a few tackles rather than Simpkin having one shot at goal and 5 or so tackles.

luc1966
Club Player

I actually like simkin playing the role he is

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

luc1966 wrote:I actually like simkin playing the role he is

A few seem to but 2 or 3 kicks for a forward isnt really going to get it done. Im not sure many if any sides would play someone that limited in a role like that.

saintjake
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

A few seem to but 2 or 3 kicks for a forward isnt really going to get it done. Im not sure many if any sides would play someone that limited in a role like that.
I agree plugger.
It's just like having Eddy or McQualter down there again.
You can't win games without scoring.
If eddy and McQualter were replaced by let's say Armo and Steven then we might have three flags instead of one.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:But I'd rather have Siposs up forward having three or four shots at goal and a few tackles rather than Simpkin having one shot at goal and 5 or so tackles.
You're probably right. But Siposs's three games so far this year have been:

He's barely getting your three shots a game and when he does he's not converting. So I understand why they'd try other options.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

Tyson Goldsack for one, is fantastic for the pies as that defensive forward

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I agree plugger.
It's just like having Eddy or McQualter down there again.
You can't win games without scoring.
If eddy and McQualter were replaced by let's say Armo and Steven then we might have three flags instead of one.
''don't remind me...gawd i hate ross lyin....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Tyson Goldsack for one, is fantastic for the pies as that defensive forward

Does he get about 2 or 3 kicks a game. I wouldnt have thought so. Like Tom and like his hardness but he aint a forward.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

The only way our forwards look likely to score is when the ball comes in quickly .

Saw many times on the weekend when our forwards were 1 on 1 with there opponent and just needed a quick ball kicked into a space for them to lead into .
Our mids or backs would then take to long too kick the ball into that gap allowing the WC to easily defend .
Only confidence and better kicking by our players will see any improvement in the way our forward line is currently opperating .

I'd like to know when's the next time we'll be able to score 15 goals in a match ? maybe next year !

In red white and black from 73
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It's really predictable, one dimensional and easy to plan against.

Poor fwd set up

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:It's really predictable, one dimensional and easy to plan against.
Yep. Kick it to Riewoldt

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We need Rhys to play like he did in the VFL every week. If he could just kick 2 to 3 goals every week and give the ruckman a rest he would make us a much better team. Seeing some smalls running around makes us look more attacking too.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Milera - unable to mark under match conditions.
Lee - unable to convert clutch goals and doesn't know how to lead.
Stanley - can't read the play or lead to the right places. Kicking for goal is not the best either.
Maister - not AFL level, okay against a bottom side or in the VFL.
TDL - doesn't have the ability or workrate to make it at AFL level.
Saad - out for the year suspended.
Siposs - looks a likely prospect for mine. Like to see him given a month in the firsts to see how he goes.
The first five on this list will be delisted/traded at the end of the season - or should be. Saad would be okay.
When was the last time a St Kilda side went a year without kicking a century? I would suggest the nineteen fifties. Hopefully Hamill can get them functioning for at least one game this year and we can kick sixteen goals.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I forgot to mention Schneider - one good game which he gets suspended in, comes back and gets injured. Out for four weeks. Back in, - one good game, gets suspended, rinse and repeat ...
Surely would be very lucky to keep his place on the list.

The forward line issues combined with the decimated back half mean that we will need to stick fat for a few years.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintbob
SS Life Member

This is how I like to see the forward line settle for the rest of the year;

HFF Minchington Stanley Simpkin
FF Billings Reiwoldt Siposs

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:We need Rhys to play like he did in the VFL every week. If he could just kick 2 to 3 goals every week and give the ruckman a rest he would make us a much better team.
If he could kick 2 to 3 goals every week he'd finish top ten for the Coleman! That's a huge ask in the modern game.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
gringo wrote:We need Rhys to play like he did in the VFL every week. If he could just kick 2 to 3 goals every week and give the ruckman a rest he would make us a much better team.
If he could kick 2 to 3 goals every week he'd finish top ten for the Coleman! That's a huge ask in the modern game.

Didn't say it was likely but what we need.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

A successful forward set-up relies on good delivery in - which they don't get.

Unfortunately, we do not have another top player down there as another option and so, Rooey gets double-teamed all the time.

I can't see too many chances - Stanley - maybe. Siposs - maybe. Lee - doubtful. Billings - a definite yes, but will play in the mid. Milera - not a key forward.
Simkin - not a forward at all.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I think it is time for a forward line without Riewoldt. It is long overdue for Roo to play on the wing. This enables two things to happen...

1. Roo can control the centre. He can dictate how we exit defence. He can set up the wall when the opposition is trying to exit theirs. He can be there for the panic kick from defence as well as roam easily into defence to assist. Importantly he can chose when to enter our forward line, meaning he will enter with one opponent rather than be camped inside there with two or three opponents. This should also safeguard his body a lot more.

2. Current list players get a fair chance to showcase their abilities in our forward line free from entries seemingly solely targeting Roo. It offers unpredictability and most importantly six options, whilst all or none of them may be completely viable, it gives insight into who will be a part of our structure in 3 to 5 years (if any).

This is why I would like to see a forward line made up like this...

HF: Milera (TDL) Stanley Sipposs

F: Lee Hickey (White) Murdoch (Dunell)

N.B: Schneider & Billings have deliberately been left out of the forward line. Schneider will not be around in 3 years and can play off the bench through the midfield / forward line (certainly best 22 in the 2014 list) Billings will be around, there are no question marks on him and will be rotating through midfield in 3 years time so can play a similar role to Schneider for remainder of 2014. Others could not be considered due to injury, players like Templeton (who will be a fixture IMO), Markworth (unlucky but sadly unknown), Wright & Acres (who I believe will be our #1 HBF / Wing in 3 years)

Footnote: I do not expect to win too many games with that forward line personnel but I do expect to have a greater understanding of those players and who deserves the opportunities afforded by the club to improve through 2015 & 2016.