Billy Longer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Billy Longer

Continues to improve and show football nouse. He will be part of a very good duo with Tom Hickey - in five years time and then for another five years. Reason to optimistic.

PS My eyes must need checking. I did see on many occasions his opponent (esp. Scott Lycett) push him in the chest at the centre bounce today. Must have been a mirage as no frees were paid.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Billy Longer

perfectionist wrote:Continues to improve and show football nouse. He will be part of a very good duo with Tom Hickey - in five years time and then for another five years. Reason to optimistic.

PS My eyes must need checking. I did see on may occasions his opponent (esp. Scott Lycett) push him in the chest at the centre bounce today. Must have been a mirage.

Fair IMO but would love you and others to tell me how both Hickey and Longer play in the same side because I still cant see how it is possible. Hope you are right though.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He was OK for a fella of his age/experience

He competed very well generally.

Hickey and Longer won't play too many games together

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Continues to improve and show football nouse. He will be part of a very good duo with Tom Hickey - in five years time and then for another five years. Reason to optimistic.

PS My eyes must need checking. I did see on many occasions his opponent (esp. Scott Lycett) push him in the chest at the centre bounce today. Must have been a mirage as no frees were paid.
Your eyes don't need checking but the umpires DO need to learn the rules:

15.4.5 Prohibited Contact and Payment of Free Kick
A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player where
they are satisfied that the Player has made Prohibited Contact
with an opposition Player.

A Player makes Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player
if the Player:

(a) to (e) deleted as are not specific to ruck contests

(f) pushes, bumps, holds or blocks an opposition Player
who is contesting a bounce or throw by a field Umpire
or boundary throw in;

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
stinger
Saintsational Legend

poor selection not naming stanley in the side....could have been the difference imho.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:poor selection not naming stanley in the side....could have been the difference imho.....
Give Richo some time. It made a lot of sense tp none of us to play Spud Lee after last week.

I guess we were right.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Saint wagga
Club Player

IMO Longer has has and will really benefit from this run of games. His Ruckwork yesterday was really combative and whole hearted...I think he pushed around the ground quite well...the only thing i've yet to see from him regularly is marks...either forward or defensive. I said the same about Hickey last year, and he really looked to have improved his clunking this year, so i'm very hopeful that both Longer and Hickey will improve this area of their game...I think we've missed McEvoy's marking this year, but not his ruckwork! Think Longer and Hickey could play games togther...one as a rest up forward, optimistic!!

Saint wagga
Club Player

IMO Longer has has and will really benefit from this run of games. His Ruckwork yesterday was really combative and whole hearted...I think he pushed around the ground quite well...the only thing i've yet to see from him regularly is marks...either forward or defensive. I said the same about Hickey last year, and he really looked to have improved his clunking this year, so i'm very hopeful that both Longer and Hickey will improve this area of their game...I think we've missed McEvoy's marking this year, but not his ruckwork! Think Longer and Hickey could play games togther...one as a rest up forward, optimistic!!

lloyd21
Club Player

Longer has has and will really benefit from this run of games. His Ruckwork yesterday was really combative and whole hearted...I think he pushed around the ground quite well...the only thing i've yet to see from him regularly is marks...either forward or defensive. I said the same about Hickey last year, and he really looked to have improved his clunking this year, so i'm very hopeful that both Longer and Hickey will improve this area of their game...I think we've missed McEvoy's marking this year, but not his ruckwork! Think Longer and Hickey could play games together...one as a rest up forward. optimistic

Big :P difference between Longer vs Stanley

1) Longer is far more aggressive provides physical contest (loves it ) - Vs Stanley really offers none of it even though he is capable just not in his makeup.

2) Longer has played as a ruckman all his football career hits the ball with left & right hand - Vs Stanley jumps hits the ball time after time to the same spot UNFORTUANTELY DUE NO FOOTBALL SMARTS with right hand .

3) Longer is younger & only going to get better placing himself around for marks just a baby in ruck terms AFL Vs Stanley still making the same decisions on the ground lacks confidence does not demand the ball.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:PS My eyes must need checking. I did see on many occasions his opponent (esp. Scott Lycett) push him in the chest at the centre bounce today. Must have been a mirage as no frees were paid.
Pushed in the chest? I don't remember ever seeing that paid as a free in thirty years of watching footy - why would they start today?