Boring as it is, I'll say it yet again

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: Boring as it is, I'll say it yet again

... when I see a young child taken the footy decked out in full Saints gear, the phrase "cruel and unusual punishment" does spring to mind.
yes :)
but character building.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I was born in 1940 in Northcote, real Collingwood country. My father was a St.Kilda boy, having been raised in Neptune St., St.Kilda, and he raised my brother and I to be Saint supporters. (Seagull supporters in them days). I dont know how many wooden spoons the Saints have collected in my lifetime, one more wont make a difference. When I went to Preston Tech, one day we were lined up according to the teams were barracked for. I was the only Saint supporter out of 1200 boys. Every other club had a few supporters, the majority were for Collingwood of course, then Essendon, Carflton, and Richmond. I used to cop it every Monday during the footy season, mainly from Collingwood supporters, because they were the days when the Saints hardly ever won a game.
I am proud to saythat all four of my kids are dinkum Saints supporters, as are most of my nine grand children.
We have had three wins so far this year. It is that bad a season for us, compared to some I have seen.

Go Saints.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Well I ended up supporting St.Kilda because of my Mother and Grandfather.
I was born in the U.S., but my mother was a war bride and when we came back here in September 65 it was drummed into us to support the Saints.
My Grandfather had followed them all his life as he lived in St.Kilda and played cricket for them, in fact, I have his 1909 St,Kilda Cricket Club Best and Fairest medal.
My Grandfather was a very good cricketer and toured with the Australian team on a PR tour of the U.S. and Canada in 1913. Sadly, he was denied his chance to play test cricket due to World War 1.
So I've followed them since I basically got here, looked like a good team to follow as of course the year after we got here was 1966.
Actually, I'll always remember my best friend's speech at my engagement party, who incidentally has commented on this topic.
He advised my fiancée and still my wife that marrying a St.Kilda supporter is a very good thing because of our loyalty, because we stay true to what we love no matter how bad things get.
Interesting as I'm coming up to my 25th wedding anniversary and he his 33rd.
As I said before our recent Grand Finals, it would probably be harder winning because we don't know what that's like, because it would be territory we have never been too.
All I know, but when BJ kicked that goal I was starting to tear up substantially, because I thought I was going to that undiscovered country.
Just hope we all discover it one day soon.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

SunburySaint wrote:Great Stories Guys!

I guess mine is a bit different as my late father migrated from Germany as a 5 year old in 1960 and when he was old enough to watch and understand footy became a fan of Essendope..... he met my mum in 84 who followed Essendon like my grandmother and my pop was die hard South Melbourne (Still called them South Melbourne up to his death in 2012).... Mum later transferred to Wet Toast (don't know why) anyway, when I was 4 my grandmother wanted me to have a footy team and it had to be essendon.... she went out to buy me some footy gear... came back with St Kilda socks (I think all the smoking and brandy must of gone to her head) and I have followed the Mighty Saints ever since.... wouldnt change it for the world! Even converted my dad right up until he passed earlier this year...
lovely story......

...i really don't know how come i ended up barracking for the saints......my dad came down from country ararat as a star 17year old to play for melbourne........played reserves with barrassi senior and the pilot bluey truscott.........did his knee and never played at that level again.......saw him captain and play in the centre for a scratch match when i was about 5......gee he could play......spearing stab passes that would knock you arse over tit.....and did....

..anyway...i still have a tiny baby figure dressed in demons colours that mum decorated a cake with on one of my early birthdays and remember mum knitting me a demons footy jumper...my early memories are around that club and my brother always followed the dees......an exception in our family...

...my father was a member of the st kilda cricket club and started taking us to the junction oval when i was very young... i still remember his shiny medallion.....i also remember my younger sister being pushed in a pram at one match.....later i remember her calling out.."come on peter bennett".. peter played until 1954....

i also remember watching players like keith drinan, les foote and of course billy young...i have mentioned before that my father was friendly with ian drake......we used to sit with him in the committee box at the old oval and later he used to stay with us in tassie on his many recruiting trips to the apple island........including when he signed lawrence and nearly had peter hudson....

my dad died of leukemia......about 12 years ago.......i spent a lot of time talking to him when he was dying....and tried to get to the bottom of why he started barracking for the saints and hence subjecting 4 generations of my family to considerable pain.......he just said he was a friend of drake's........he was also a friend of jim caldwell, the dee's secretary and extremely friendly with the carlton secretary, Alan Cowie whom i remember visiting in hospital when he had a heart attack.. met john nicholls and and the then captain donaldson on one of those trips... Cowie also invited us to sit with him at the footy when the saints played the blues out at princess park......we never won so my barracking for the opposition wasn't a problem and i always scored a footy if the PM was present and they wanted to get rid of me at the half time break........so...there must have been something else other than friendships...........

...no regrets here though.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
oldie60
Club Player

Those were the days when the wooden spoon was a given for most years but would not have missed it for quids.I remember starting my first job and used to have to work overtime on a Saturday and i would tell the boss i'd be there and would never show up because i had to go and watch my beloved Saints.It did'nt matter when how or what i'd be there from the Collingwood 170 point loss to one of our only wins against Essendon on a cold wet afternoon at Waverly with Jezza as Captain Coach hailing him the new messiah.Forget the losses always remember the friendships,comments and camaraderie that was enjoyed by supporting our team with all the other long time suffering supporters. Go Saints.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Well I ended up supporting St.Kilda because of my Mother and Grandfather.
I was born in the U.S., but my mother was a war bride and when we came back here in September 65 it was drummed into us to support the Saints.
My Grandfather had followed them all his life as he lived in St.Kilda and played cricket for them, in fact, I have his 1909 St,Kilda Cricket Club Best and Fairest medal.
My Grandfather was a very good cricketer and toured with the Australian team on a PR tour of the U.S. and Canada in 1913. Sadly, he was denied his chance to play test cricket due to World War 1.
So I've followed them since I basically got here, looked like a good team to follow as of course the year after we got here was 1966.
Actually, I'll always remember my best friend's speech at my engagement party, who incidentally has commented on this topic.
He advised my fiancée and still my wife that marrying a St.Kilda supporter is a very good thing because of our loyalty, because we stay true to what we love no matter how bad things get.
Interesting as I'm coming up to my 25th wedding anniversary and he his 33rd.
As I said before our recent Grand Finals, it would probably be harder winning because we don't know what that's like, because it would be territory we have never been too.
All I know, but when BJ kicked that goal I was starting to tear up substantially, because I thought I was going to that undiscovered country.
Just hope we all discover it one day soon.
Absolutely unbelievable that we couldn't go on and win the game after such a towering mark and goal. The footy gods just don't like us!

It wouldn't bother me if we won a spoon or two after that. Now it's going to piss me off!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Principle of Q'uo wrote:
... when I see a young child taken the footy decked out in full Saints gear, the phrase "cruel and unusual punishment" does spring to mind.
yes :)
but character building.
and staves off a life of "miserable ease".

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
sax
Club Player

Great read!

I am a born & bred South Australian living in the Barossa Valley, but I love the Saints. I have supported them my whole life all because of my Grandmother.
I did sway a little when Peter Motley played for the Blues but that's it.
40 years a supporter, this is my 20th year as a member. I have copped a lot of crap over here but I still love them as does my brother.
I have now brainwashed my 8 year old son which is no mean feat! He goes to a lot of Port games with my wifes parents but still continues to say he is a Saints supporter. He has been a member since the day he was born. If Port keep performing like they are, & we keep going like we are, it's going to be very hard to keep him on our side, but hell I'm gonna try!
We are in Melbourne this weekend so going to the game on Sunday. Geez I hope we win just for him!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Onya Sax! By the way are you a Baritone, Tenor or Alto Sax?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Keep fighting the good fight, Sax!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Good story as well, Mr. Sax. Looks like you have your work cut out for you convincing your son the Saints are for him. Jeez, to think I actually once had a choice. It's sometimes hard not to almost regret it hahaha.

Gotta respect the people interstate who stay true for the Saints, even when their home town is buzzing for the local team(s).

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

i just found out my sis is a saints supporter !!!!!

never thought she had much of an interest beyond her top end social whirl
in brissy 'n the lions when they're hot.
... anyways , she made a comment about us being s***
'n i commented on our upcoming early draft pick this year 'n next.
'n how thats way better than being Richninth (the old mans team)
'n who cares about gettn a couple more wooden spoons ... thats not the bigger picture

... then she said , at least 'we' will get something out of this then ,
followed by , it's getting embarrassing saying i go for them.

my little heart swelled with pride.
bubs is one of us.

i'm a very proud older brother.
:)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.