Plugger on Fox tonight

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Plugger on Fox tonight

Chooseday night at 8.30
Is the 1987 Vic vs SA game

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: Plugger on Fox tonight

Tony Lockett, or Plugger66? I want to know whether to tune in or not.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Tony Lockett, or Plugger66? I want to know whether to tune in or not.

Which one would you tune in to?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Tony Lockett, or Plugger66? I want to know whether to tune in or not.
nah ..you are okay to tune in...to use a comic book example..it is superman...not goofey

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
nah ..you are okay to tune in...to use a comic book example..it is superman...not goofey

Thats funny.

thequarry
Club Player

Ahh, I wish I saw more of Plugger in the flesh at St Kilda. I only saw him play two games for us - Rounds 1 (my first ever game as an about-to-turn-6 year old) and 22 (against Sydney, just months before he went there) in 1994. I do wonder how the decade would have panned out had he stayed. People say "imagine if we had him in '97" but the team's complexion would have obviously been very different had he of stayed, so who knows?

If he'd played in the hot-cross bun jumper, though, he might have looked even bigger.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

thequarry wrote:Ahh, I wish I saw more of Plugger in the flesh at St Kilda. I only saw him play two games for us - Rounds 1 (my first ever game as an about-to-turn-6 year old) and 22 (against Sydney, just months before he went there) in 1994. I do wonder how the decade would have panned out had he stayed. People say "imagine if we had him in '97" but the team's complexion would have obviously been very different had he of stayed, so who knows?

If he'd played in the hot-cross bun jumper, though, he might have looked even bigger.
would not have been much different...we wouldn't have recruited smith...but he was out injured anyway.....i believe we would have won that year with plugger in the side.....would have got to the grannie in 05 at least too with boofhead playing for us rather than against us.....who knows about 2009 and 10......the swine have truly cost us.....never forget that our forgive them.....

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

thequarry wrote:Ahh, I wish I saw more of Plugger in the flesh at St Kilda. I only saw him play two games for us - Rounds 1 (my first ever game as an about-to-turn-6 year old) and 22 (against Sydney, just months before he went there) in 1994. I do wonder how the decade would have panned out had he stayed. People say "imagine if we had him in '97" but the team's complexion would have obviously been very different had he of stayed, so who knows?

I was at the hall of fame night when he attended- rare- and became a St Kilda Legend.

memories of Joey and Kosi asking Keny Whiffen to introduce them as they were as in awe of him as anyone else.- getting their selfies.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

would not have been much different...we wouldn't have recruited smith...but he was out injured anyway.....i believe we would have won that year with plugger in the side.....would have got to the grannie in 05 at least too with boofhead playing for us rather than against us.....who knows about 2009 and 10......the swine have truly cost us.....never forget that our forgive them.....

Yep fancy trying to get a player off another club.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I used to love that banner in the CS back then which had the words "Plugger Power". May have even got to hold it a couple of times as a young whipper snapper.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:I used to love that banner in the CS back then which had the words "Plugger Power". May have even got to hold it a couple of times as a young whipper snapper.
Yeah loved that one.

Named my first greyhound Plugger Power Image

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Sainternist wrote:I used to love that banner in the CS back then which had the words "Plugger Power". May have even got to hold it a couple of times as a young whipper snapper.
Yeah loved that one.

You don't race greyhounds, do you, Doc?

I kinda wish I had it as my username on here now. It might have taken away a little of the attention from you know who :mrgreen:

falka
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Yeah loved that one.

Yeah was a ripper, but I also have fond memories of 'Siera Terror' for Sierakowski, being held by some bald maniac supporter and the infamous 'Sydney is for knobs, Beijing 2000" was the funniest banner I have seen at the footy.

The best banner ever was at the cricket v Sth Africa "G.Smith loves A.Nel"

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

well one is a mercenary the other is a s*** stirrer

So might pick another channel. :P

PS saw just about every game plugger played for us Live.
Best I've seen and hurt the most when he left...footy changed for me after that.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Plugger on Fox tonight

Sainternist wrote: You don't race greyhounds, do you, Doc?
Only in the past Sainternist.

Plugger Power, Plugger Fever & Owenda Saints being 3 of them Image

stinger
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:

Best I've seen and hurt the most when he left...footy changed for me after that.
yep...for me too.......i was at the hairdressers......just relaxing in the chair waiting my turn ..got handed a paper to read......plugger off to shytney......ruined my day, ruined my year....ruined my enjoyment at the footy.....had named my youngest after him...... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: ...sat next to tony at a dinner around the time paul kelly won the brownlow.......told him i had to change my kid's name....tony laughed...actually he was a very quiet polite young man.....liked him very much.....hate sydney

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

yep...for me too.......i was at the hairdressers......just relaxing in the chair waiting my turn ..got handed a paper to read......plugger off to shytney......ruined my day, ruined my year....ruined my enjoyment at the footy.....had named my youngest after him...... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: ...sat next to tony at a dinner around the time paul kelly won the brownlow.......told him i had to change my kid's name....tony laughed...actually he was a very quiet polite young man.....liked him very much.....hate sydney
I was night shift when I got the news...3aw Brian Taylor with breaking news"Plugger will never play with StKilda again" was how he put it.
I met the guy a couple of times. Shy but guess he found it hard to converse with fans..was like a big kid with his mates from Ballarat.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
stinger wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

I was night shift when I got the news...3aw Brian Taylor with breaking news"Plugger will never play with StKilda again" was how he put it.
I met the guy a couple of times. Shy but guess he found it hard to converse with fans..was like a big kid with his mates from Ballarat.
As a youngster, I once ran onto the ground after a game to get Plugger's autograph. The kid in front of me got a straight out rejection. A firm "NO" was the response, so I backed away and thought best not to pursue it further. Suffice to say, it wasn't an ideal time for him after we'd lost (yet another) game, but I never wanted to trouble him for an autograph again. In hindsight, I feel kind of grateful that I never tried to fanboy him because pretty much everyone I know who'd met him didn't exactly walk away with an experience that was worthy to write home about. Nevertheless, I respected the fact that he wasn't a big media personality, like so many of the star players seem obligated to be nowadays. I gotta say, I think I prefer the star player to be stoic and make a bigger impression on the field than off it. Crutch throwing controversies aside, that is how Plugger for me when he was a Saints. Boy, could he play with authority. It was incredible to have witnessed him first hand down at the old Moorabbin. Good times!

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

stinger wrote:would not have been much different...we wouldn't have recruited smith...but he was out injured anyway.....i believe we would have won that year with plugger in the side.....would have got to the grannie in 05 at least too with boofhead playing for us rather than against us.....who knows about 2009 and 10......the swine have truly cost us.....never forget that our forgive them.....
We would have for sure Sting, however we already had a tight salary cap, so fitting BBBB in would have been pretty challenging.

And, you'd also have to factor out of our 2005 season, any on-field contributions made by Dal. (And looking ahead, our 2018 flag will have to be won without Dunstan or Delaney.)

For Plugger, from memory we got...
- Salary cap space,
- Smith (traitor :evil: ),
- Tony Brown (played a couple of good years , but unfortunately only a couple),
- Aussie. (A bit of a cult hero, but his career taken as a whole was very overrated IMHO. I say that coz he picked and chose when to put in... ie; did nothing when the team was down after 1997/8, then 'found' form when we picked-up circa late 2003. Where were you in between when we needed you Aussie??? From my observations... very lazy.)
- Matty Lappin(?)
- Anyone/anything else???

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Yeah loved that one.

Your pizza bill must've been huge Doc

I only saw the Great one play live 3 times: Rds 1 and 2 in 1994, and for Sydney in 1999 at the SCG

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
stinger wrote:would not have been much different...we wouldn't have recruited smith...but he was out injured anyway.....i believe we would have won that year with plugger in the side.....would have got to the grannie in 05 at least too with boofhead playing for us rather than against us.....who knows about 2009 and 10......the swine have truly cost us.....never forget that our forgive them.....
We would have for sure Sting, however we already had a tight salary cap, so fitting BBBB in would have been pretty challenging.

And, you'd also have to factor out of our 2005 season, any on-field contributions made by Dal. (And looking ahead, our 2018 flag will have to be won without Dunstan or Delaney.)

- Salary cap space,
- Aussie. (A bit of a cult hero, but his career taken as a whole was very overrated IMHO. I say that coz he picked and chose when to put in... ie; did nothing when the team was down after 1997/8, then 'found' form when we picked-up circa late 2003. Where were you in between when we needed you Aussie??? From my observations... very lazy.)
- Matty Lappin(?)

A fair bit of myth there in what we got.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Someone please record it and put it on youtube!

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
thequarry
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

- Salary cap space,
- Matty Lappin(?)

A fair bit of myth there in what we got.
Plugger I've got only the vaguest of ideas exactly what went down - I did a quick search for details and this was the most detailed thing that I came across. Do you (or anyone else) know if this is totally over the top or anywhere near accurate? I've just copy/pasted this directly from the BigFooty post (...):

Sydney Gain:
Tony Lockett, Pick 21 (Matthew Nicks) & Pick 87 (Simon Arnott)
Sydney Loss:
Simon Minton-Connell, Scott Waters, Robert Neill & Pick 5

St Kilda Gain:
Darryl Wakelin, Robert Neill, Joshua Kitchen, Glenn Nugent, Pick 5 (Joel Smith), Pick 13 (Chris Hemley), Pick 26 (Tim Elliot) & Pick 43 (Dean Matthews)
St Kilda Loss:
Tony Lockett, Gilbert McAdam, Pick 42 & Pick 59

Fremantle Gain:
Scott Waters & Pick 42 (Douglas Headland)
Fremantle Loss:
Darryl Wakelin (pre-listed) & Pick 21

Hawthorn Gain:
Simon Minton Connell, Pick 8 (Daniel Harford), Pick 59 (Nathan Saunders) & Pick 60 (Brad Scott)
Hawthorn Loss:
Andrew Gowers, Joshua Kitchen, Glenn Nugent, Pick 13 & Pick 87

Brisbane Gain:
Gilbert McAdam & Andrew Gowers
Brisbane Loss:
Pick 8, Pick 26, Pick 43 & Pick 60

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I always thought we just got Smith, Neil, kitchen and Nugent. I dont think we had to lose McAdan as part of that deal. Could be wrong. Its hard to understand the book im looking at.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:

- Salary cap space,
- Matty Lappin(?)

no no no dave......for plugger we got half a pound of horse s*** apart from smith...that's a falsehood spread by pricks liker mike sheahan ....

brisbane traded us two picks for gilbert mcadam....we drafted tim elliott and dean matthews...

...for some reason that escapes me darrly wakelin was traded to the saints for pick 42 by freo........they drafted headland with that pick...

we got hemley...one game..no stats....joshua kitchen, robbie neill and glen nugent...

the jones and brown picks were always ours