changes for next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: changes for next week

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:Move Nick elsewhere on the field, not off it completely

Why? Because he is the only one who looks like kicking goals? If Nick played elsewhere for the whole season i reckon we have won no games at all.
Oh well, we're bottom anyway so that thought isn't as scary as you'd have it sound.

Silly not to prepare for life after him.

Well we may as well do what a poster said on here last week. just get rid of everyone 30 or over. Luckily footy clubs look past wins and losses and see that a great player can teach on the ground and Rooy would be trying his best to do it. Unluckily for him we dont seem to have recruited very well.

Fluttz
Club Player

AS much as it most likely wouldn't happen, I would not be disappointed if Riewoldt played a high half forward/wing, working from 50 to 50, and have 1 or 2 of either Stanley/Siposs/Lee/Maister playing in the forward 50 demanding the football. Riewoldt is such an imposing figure down there, he basically demands the football without having to batter an eyelid, if you know what I mean.

Andreous
Club Player

Fluttz wrote:AS much as it most likely wouldn't happen, I would not be disappointed if Riewoldt played a high half forward/wing, working from 50 to 50, and have 1 or 2 of either Stanley/Siposs/Lee/Maister playing in the forward 50 demanding the football. Riewoldt is such an imposing figure down there, he basically demands the football without having to batter an eyelid, if you know what I mean.

Absolutely. The ball isn't getting down there and what is the point for rooy if he has to beat three. Big Nick has been fantastic this year. There is a stark difference between him and any of our other big forwards. The sooner they can find a way to work as a team in the forward line the better for the long term. These boys have talent but have very little confidence. It seems like Lee will have to do something special at Sandy for his playing future. Work out the most likely forward line for 2015-16 and get them working together now. Its not like we will lose by much greater margins.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Andreous wrote:
Fluttz wrote:AS much as it most likely wouldn't happen, I would not be disappointed if Riewoldt played a high half forward/wing, working from 50 to 50, and have 1 or 2 of either Stanley/Siposs/Lee/Maister playing in the forward 50 demanding the football. Riewoldt is such an imposing figure down there, he basically demands the football without having to batter an eyelid, if you know what I mean.

Absolutely. The ball isn't getting down there and what is the point for rooy if he has to beat three. Big Nick has been fantastic this year. There is a stark difference between him and any of our other big forwards. The sooner they can find a way to work as a team in the forward line the better for the long term. These boys have talent but have very little confidence. It seems like Lee will have to do something special at Sandy for his playing future. Work out the most likely forward line for 2015-16 and get them working together now. Its not like we will lose by much greater margins.

Why not just get him to retire then. And why doesnt his cousin play on the wing as well? Cloke also gets the ball kicked to him most times but i dont see him moving somewhere else in a hurry. Lee and Stanley arent getting the ball because they arent working hard enough and probably arent good enough. Nothing will change if Rooy is somewhere else apart from we will be even worse than now.

Fluttz
Club Player

Just sharing some thoughts. Don't see anything wrong with that.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Fluttz wrote:Just sharing some thoughts. Don't see anything wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with it at all and Im saying it wont happen and why I think it shouldnt happen. You could easliy be right because the coaches may decide we need to change something up. I just dont think that should be the change up.

Fluttz
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Nothing wrong with it at all and Im saying it wont happen and why I think it shouldnt happen. You could easliy be right because the coaches may decide we need to change something up. I just dont think that should be the change up.
Well the biggest issue is probably the mindset of the midfielders that continually look for Nick no matter what position he may be in or how many defenders may be draped over him. Something needs to change and at the end of the day blokes like Stanley/Siposs/Lee/Maister, I think, don't get enough opportunity to show what they have due to lack of opportunity. I think we expect that they will perform with every opportunity that they get, during a game but unfortunately those opportunities are extremely limited due to how imposing Nick is. I think alot of supporters hope that one of those blokes are going to be the next Nick, but they never will be. Even if they can be half as good of a footballer as Nick is then that is still a positive. But for that to happen those blokes need some consistent afl football under their belts. If they aren't up to it, then so be it but they need a chance.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Fluttz wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well the biggest issue is probably the mindset of the midfielders that continually look for Nick no matter what position he may be in or how many defenders may be draped over him. Something needs to change and at the end of the day blokes like Stanley/Siposs/Lee/Maister, I think, don't get enough opportunity to show what they have due to lack of opportunity. I think we expect that they will perform with every opportunity that they get, during a game but unfortunately those opportunities are extremely limited due to how imposing Nick is. I think alot of supporters hope that one of those blokes are going to be the next Nick, but they never will be. Even if they can be half as good of a footballer as Nick is then that is still a positive. But for that to happen those blokes need some consistent afl football under their belts. If they aren't up to it, then so be it but they need a chance.

See this is what I totally disagree with. maister whilst not a great mark, worked so hard and that meant he got the ball kicked to him so much more than the other 3 you mentioned. The other 3 just dont work hard enough to get the ball so the midfield go to the guy working and that is Rooy. Go to level 3 and watch our tall forwards work and you will realise that Rooy is nearly always the only option.

Fluttz
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Fluttz wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

See this is what I totally disagree with. maister whilst not a great mark, worked so hard and that meant he got the ball kicked to him so much more than the other 3 you mentioned. The other 3 just dont work hard enough to get the ball so the midfield go to the guy working and that is Rooy. Go to level 3 and watch our tall forwards work and you will realise that Rooy is nearly always the only option.
Was on Level 2 the other week watching the boys run around against Collingwood, and I can recall 2 occasions that stuck out for me, the first one was Lenny Hayes was running along the boundary line around 50 out from goal and tried a short 15 metre pass on his left to hit Nick who had a defender right on his tail. Ball went over Nick's head and ended up out of bounds. Second one was Jack Steven who had the ball on the edge of centre square and was running in the clear towards goal and tried a short 20 metre pass to Nick on the lead. Ball was spoiled, turned over and resulted in a goal down the other end. Poor choices I believe. Was Nick the right option? I don't think so. Only my opinion of course. I do agree that Nick works harder than most but is the bloke that works the hardest always the best option? I'm guessing that the other blokes may be doing enough in the VFL to get noticed to be on the cusp of senior selection, but are they getting enough of a chance in the seniors to figure out that they need to do alot more in the seniors to be a half decent AFL footballer?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:
CURLY wrote:Lee stays for me and is played in the position he was recruited to play. Ridiculous that he was made to ruck and at the same time impress.
Two weeks ago when many were calling for Stanley to be out and be replaced by Lee, others said that is ridiculous to expect him at 194cm go in as a back up ruck and Saturday saw all those chickens come home to roost. He is a forward and should be played as such.
+1 x2

The coach needed a scapegoat. Would love to see Lee be given as many opportunities as Liam Jones. I also want to see Siposs get more games unless he is injured. Give the kid game time and show some confidence in him. I reckon he is ready to take his footy to the next level

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Didn't like it, hypocritical move given a few weeks ago he lauded a second half from Rhys after a a dismal first.

Mess with his head stuff that, just didn't understand it.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Fisher, Hickey and Wright no longer on the injury list.

Sandy return?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The major problem with Lee and Siposs is that they don't work anywhere near hard enough when they don't have the ball. I suspect that neither has the tank to play AFL to a sufficiently high standard. That's why I still have a lot of time for Maister. He works really hard, and if he'd just got a few to stick in his hands in the first few weeks, he'd be playing now. Maister demands the ball and he puts himself in positions where he has to take the physical heat, something Lee and Siposs won't or can't do. Maister has the work rate and the courage. If Maister was still playing, Riewoldt would be having a much easier time of it, I'm sure.

Based on that, I think Maister should replace Lee this week. In fact, I would go with Stanley as well. That three man tall forward set up worked for us in the early rounds, even though Maister was letting them slip through his hands. At the moment, when players get the ball around the wings or the middle, they are drawn to Riewoldt and we know what they do. If they had at least one more tall forward demanding the ball and running into decent positions to give them a clear target, then it would give them some confidence to move the ball quickly. The hard work and persistent running that Maister does ensures that his opponent has to pay him respect, and they know he won't shirk a contest. Stanley's height and speed means that he can't be disrespected as a target by opponents. Having a genuine second ruck option would be handy, too.

So, I'm changing my mind somewhat from my previous post on this thread

Out: Lee, Jones, Billings
In: Maister, Stanley, Gwilt

And for those who constantly slam Maister, tell me, apart from Riewoldt, who is the hardest working forward we have?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Milera needs a game this week. I would bring Pearce in for his first game. Not sure about Maister, or Siposs. Gwilt in for sure, and Curren, and Savage, and Stanley.

That is six ins.
Outs.. Jones. Lee. Billings. Longer. Saunders. Murdoch,

Normallly I would believe six changes are too many, but when we are getting thrashed week after week. We have to do something,

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

How has Maister been going at Sandy? Perhaps his pack crashing would provide some much needed oomph up front. Of course I'm not saying he'll still be around next season. But if he can provide a little more stability for the remainder of the season, so be it.
borderbarry wrote:Normallly I would believe six changes are too many, but when we are getting thrashed week after week. We have to do something,
Yep, nothing to lose now. In fact dropping a future star like Billings isn't a bad idea. A couple of games with the Zabras could be the right tonic to get his confidence back on track.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Playon
Club Player

Still the same dropping easy marks

dragit
Saintsational Legend

How's this going?
BigMart wrote:Cockie - Right now, not sure you've seen him play... He'd make the side better in the short term, than say Billings... But would be of little help long term
Sainternist wrote:Yep, nothing to lose now. In fact dropping a future star like Billings isn't a bad idea. A couple of games with the Zabras could be the right tonic to get his confidence back on track.