2014 List Management - Draft & Trade Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2014 List Management - Draft & Trade Discussion

Big Mart, Essendon have their first pick at 18, then 3rd round, at this stage about pick 46. I certainly would want more than that for Ross. Maybe they would take Dunell?

spot on
Club Player

With the preseason draft this year, I'm sure we will be encouraging a few gws players that are uncontracted to enter that draft. Does anyone know what gws players are uncontracted ? We could really do with a free gift there

falka
Club Player

Right now we have pick 1. If for example a club like Carlton lost Gibbs free agent and got 1st rd compo and had say picks 7&8 would we look to swap 1 and 21 for them? Maybe even swap rd 3 picks?

I would love 2 cracks in top 10 as there are no standouts and get a gws youngster through pre season.
I know the pre season hasn't been used fully lately, but that would be a good scenario for us

falka
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
FQF wrote:What role would Stanley play in the Port team. They have a very well balanced and potent forward line and an adequate ruck department. Can't see an opening for Stanley — unless they'd just want him for depth?
If Lobbe goes down Port are stuffed. Also, they have publicly acknowledged the need for a forward/2nd ruck. Stanley is at that age where he's about to hit his peak and Port believe in their player development skills to get the best out of Stanley. They made enquiries last year. Not sure AR rates Stanley like SW's did.
I'm glad Lobbe's name came up in this discussion

Not for us to get him, but his development. Look what number he was drafted and how long it's taken him to get to where he is now

Compare that to bottom aged never done a pre season Spencer White, who everyone said us a project player. That means 4-5 years. Gee whiz he is 19.

I look at how hard it is for forwards in modern game. If buddy or Riewoldt joined afl now as 18 year olds, sure they would be playing but it would be a lot harder then how the game was played in 2002-2008 era.

It's amazing what an extra few pre seasons, confidence and opportunity can do.

We have enough older aged players to move on before we drop guys with 2 years in the system in the most physically demanding comp in the world.

Now, let's trade Wright. Too injury prone.....haha

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

haven't heard ( and dislike) trade discussion etc

but heard a commentator say Lee would be of interest to Freo and Brisbane should look at armitage ......

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

BigMart wrote:Armitage 26yo 100 games Top 5 B&F in 2013
pick 20-30
Or player exchange for high DP coming home
Likely club GWS
Deal Armitage for O'Rourke, Buntine, Jaksch, Plowman?

Gilbert 28yo 100+ games 194cm running defender Third in B&F in premiership year
Pick 30-40 or upgrade (which we would likely look at) or player exchange
Likely club: Brisbane
Deal I'd accept... Brisbane second round pick pick 19 for Gilbert + StK third Rnd pick 38

Seb Ross... Pick 25 2011 draft 187cm inside mid 20 games
Pick 35-45: Likely club
Essendon
Deal I'd accept would be third round pick pick 40?

Stanley... 200cm 60 gamer with obvious athletic abilities would attract heaps of interest
Pick 25-35
Likely club: Adelaide
Deal I'd accept
Either a second Rnd DP mid twenties
Or player swap with Josh Jenkins with pick exchange in their favour.

Siposs: 2012 Rising Star nominee, 189cm talented fwd
Player exchange or Pick 35-45
Likely clubs: Freo, GWS, Carl, Rich, Dogs
Accept player trade Ayce Cordy, Griffiths, Pears plus pick exchange

Spencer White 196 cm KPP athletic ability
Player exchange or pick 35-45
Likely club: Dogs, Dockers
Accept: any reasonable deal

Longer
Probably wouldn't trade a 202cm 100kg 21yo former top ten DP for anything less than a top 10 pick or highly rated player
Hi Mart, as ever some very interesting thoughts.

Armo... only if he wanted to go, then I'd take one of those players, but not a pick below 25 without further sweeteners thrown in.
Seb... I reckon he's worth way more than a mid 40's pick... hey, maybe he's even not quite as slow as I thought...? :)
Rhys for Jenkins...? Where do we sign?
Sippa for pick 35-40... well that'd at least be a good 'profit' on the pick 70-odd that we spent. However, I'm not writing him off just yet.
Spenc-aarrrrh... he's a keeper, may take a few years, but will be very worth that wait... and we have the time. :(
Longer... given our number of rucking prospects and his seeming inability to take a mark... I would take a top ten pick or highly rated player pretty happily. I'd also like to give him a try at CHB, as suggested recently by a fellow Saintsationalist.

As for this and the next draft, IMHO just take the best/lowest risk players available. For mine, their position (unless it's ruck) doesn't matter so much, as we have structured our salary cap so we can go a raiding to fill the remaining gaps when we are about ready to start challenging. Oh, and nobody, repeat nobody, who can't win their own footy(!)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, we will try and trade our way into one more top 20 pick IMO

And well try to get one more Uncontracted player most likely youngish

That'll be 4 more players to go along with 4 from last season... Top 20 picks plus Longer

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:We should definitely target another GWS player this year and then again the following year...

Just for some perspective - on key fwds- to keep us from obsessing over McCartin, Wright and Goddard.

Taylor Walker
Aged 24 years
Height 192cm
Weight 100kg
Drafted from Broken Hill NSW, Pick #75
AFL Games 72
AFL Goals 169

I dont get your point but if it was where he was taken there was a reason. he was a zone pick.
out of interest when did adelaide get zone picks for broken hill?

dean solomon and brent staker are also from broken hill.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:We should definitely target another GWS player this year and then again the following year...

Just for some perspective - on key fwds- to keep us from obsessing over McCartin, Wright and Goddard.

Taylor Walker
Aged 24 years
Height 192cm
Weight 100kg
Drafted from Broken Hill NSW, Pick #75
AFL Games 72
AFL Goals 169

I dont get your point but if it was where he was taken there was a reason. he was a zone pick.
out of interest when did adelaide get zone picks for broken hill?

dean solomon and brent staker are also from broken hill.

No he was just Jackson Ferguson to us.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

This article from the Hun (last night), with a profile including McCartin, Hugh Goddard and Pickett

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/j ... 6966942629

Always loyal
thezelk
Club Player

Bit of discussion i over heard about potentially using pick in the preseason draft on Mitch Clarke, if he overcomes his problems

FQF
SS Life Member

thezelk wrote:Bit of discussion i over heard about potentially using pick in the preseason draft on Mitch Clarke, if he overcomes his problems
Who - St Kilda or anyone? And who was having this discussion you overheard - some blokes in a pub or Ameet Bains and Chris Pelchen?

Some very important pieces of information missing here.

thezelk
Club Player

Saints offcourse. Bevo mentioned it.
I actually thought its not a bad idea, thinking outside the box.

thequarry
Club Player

David King was talking about Mitch Clark and St Kilda on SEN earlier this afternoon - here's the link to the part of the conversation where they talk about it:
https://soundcloud.com/sen1116/harf-tim ... 11#t=23:16

thequarry
Club Player

National U18s Championships at Skilled Stadium today. Broadcast on Fox Footy and the AFL Live App.

Here are the teams - really looking forward to see how Wright and McCartin perform.

12.35pm

2.35pm

Also short article by Jay Clark today on McCartin and managing diabetes:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/d ... 6968031163
Last edited by thequarry on Fri 27 Jun 2014 12:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

FQF
SS Life Member

thezelk wrote:Saints offcourse. Bevo mentioned it.
If Mitch Clarke would be ready to return to football - which seems highly doubtful, and also makes you wonder why he wouldn't go back to Melbourne seeing as they were very good to him - I would take him in a heart beat. He is an elite forward and if he went injury free would be one of the best in the league.

thequarry
Club Player

FQF wrote:
thezelk wrote:Saints offcourse. Bevo mentioned it.
If Mitch Clarke would be ready to return to football - which seems highly doubtful, and also makes you wonder why he wouldn't go back to Melbourne seeing as they were very good to him - I would take him in a heart beat. He is an elite forward and if he went injury free would be one of the best in the league.
As you say, there are a LOT of "ifs" and some of those on the surface seem very unlikely anyway. But he would be sensational to have on the list - and even then, keeping him fit comes into it. McCartin/Wright, Clarke...all of a sudden the forward line could be set up for a number of years.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

thequarry wrote:National U18s Championships at Skilled Stadium today. Broadcast on Fox Footy and the AFL Live App.

Here are the teams - really looking forward to see how Wright and McCartin perform.

12.35pm

2.35pm

Also short article by Jay Clark today on McCartin and managing diabetes:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/d ... 6968031163
Looking forward to these games. The likely top 10 picks will all be on show. McCartin, Wright, Goddard, Durdin, Brayshaw etc.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Jordan De Goey and Corey Ellis another two I'm looking forward to seeing.

thequarry
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:Looking forward to these games. The likely top 10 picks will all be on show. McCartin, Wright, Goddard, Durdin, Brayshaw etc.
I know we don't have as much serious trade bait as we did last year, so I doubt we'll end up with another top ~10 pick, and right now I'm close to sold on McCartin and then Wright purely for what we need. But some of those guys you mention and Petracca etc. are really making a move to standout as clear (or clearer, at least, in this draft) top 3-5.

I wouldn't mind getting in a look at Mav's brother Lachie (I know he's not playing today) if he slips through late enough, which is the kind of territory in which our trade period could really make interesting.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

thequarry wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Looking forward to these games. The likely top 10 picks will all be on show. McCartin, Wright, Goddard, Durdin, Brayshaw etc.
I know we don't have as much serious trade bait as we did last year, so I doubt we'll end up with another top ~10 pick, and right now I'm close to sold on McCartin and then Wright purely for what we need. But some of those guys you mention and Petracca etc. are really making a move to standout as clear (or clearer, at least, in this draft) top 3-5.

I wouldn't mind getting in a look at Mav's brother Lachie (I know he's not playing today) if he slips through late enough, which is the kind of territory in which our trade period could really make interesting.
This particular draft has flaws mainly at the top end, or at least the lack of confidence who should be at the top end but one thing about this draft is it runs deep. There will be some very handy players available in the 20-40 range and that's where I think the Pelican should focus his attention.

Weller is projected to go in the 10-15 range but could very well slip to our second pick. The general feel is Gold Coast are extremely keen and will pick him with their first pick but if he gets past them then we may be in with a chance. There should still be some good value even if he's gone though.

thequarry
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:This particular draft has flaws mainly at the top end, or at least the lack of confidence who should be at the top end but one thing about this draft is it runs deep. There will be some very handy players available in the 20-40 range and that's where I think the Pelican should focus his attention.

Weller is projected to go in the 10-15 range but could very well slip to our second pick. The general feel is Gold Coast are extremely keen and will pick him with their first pick but if he gets past them then we may be in with a chance. There should still be some good value even if he's gone though.
The Pelican's listening! Said in his Twitter chat last week we'll be focusing on the first three rounds in the draft: https://twitter.com/stkildafc/status/479460115230117888

Probably a "good" year (looking ahead to the draft) to have lacked some real genuine trade bait. We'll probably see pick upgrading where possible to get within the pick 40 range as you mentioned...might have to somehow find a player or two to throw in the deal at some point though.

Yep, you're on the money with Weller - he's at their academy so he's been right under their noses. With compensation picks our second pick will be early 20s I think? So maybe a pick upgrade with a player thrown in (who, I have no idea) could be the only way to get a pick around that mark.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Yup, I reckon we would love to get another pick in that 20-40 range and that's where a Stanley or Gilbert may be floated during trade week. Definitely the type of draft where a club may rank a draftee 15-20 and he's still available at 40 given the evenness of that range.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Durdin................like....................but needs time and body development.

McCartin.................a lump.....may lack a yard.....has missed some footy......even appears to have a bit of puppy fat....needs work......but in the mix

saint4life
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I haven't seen McCartin play, but everything I read makes me wonder if much of his 'success' is based on being a man playing against boys? Any thoughts Saintsationalists?

Emma Quale in today's Age talked in terms of Hugh Goddard struggling a bit against his carnival opponents because they were faster and more agile. If this is accurate, then I'd have the big black texta out right now.

I'd really like to get Petrecca (sp?) and the black sheep Lamb. Lamby sounds like a real talent, though also a bit of a loose cannon. But that's fine, as given the vibe from many on here, the club could soon be needing a new dwarf burner. :wink:

If Morabito and or Clark become available then I'd definitely be up for them.

And Mav's bro' seems to have good raps on him, but I'd love us to land him for the romance of having the two brothers together.

Another very interesting draft coming up Saintsationalists...

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: