Get rid of Runners

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Get rid of Runners

We copped a free against us because of our runner last weekend. I can't believe the runner in the Cats/Blues game who smashed into the carlton player at the stoppage with only seconds to play didn't give away a free because the umpire hadn't started play. Players come off the ground every 8 minutes and can get instructions then. Runners are instructed to fill in space and its annoying as hell when we complain the game is getting ridiculously congested. There is no other game in the world that has non-players on the ground all the time. Imagine if a grand final gets decided by a runner giving away a free - it will be a tragedy. It's time to do away with those annoying, space sucking, ex-player runners who still want to influence play. If players have to try and work out for themselves what to do out on the field that they are getting paid hundred and thousands of dollars each year to do - that's a good thing! :evil:

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Get rid of Runners

Who was that former player runner in the 90s who flew up with a pack to contest a mark? That was classic.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Like it. makes it different to other games. If they didnt have one then the trainers and Doctors would just pass on more messges as Im sure they do anyway.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Get rid of them. Even though they are currently wearing pink I've noticed some players wearing the all white away jumpers are actually kicking the ball to them thinking their one of their players.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SuperSaint66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:We copped a free against us because of our runner last weekend. I can't believe the runner in the Cats/Blues game who smashed into the carlton player at the stoppage with only seconds to play didn't give away a free because the umpire hadn't started play. Players come off the ground every 8 minutes and can get instructions then. Runners are instructed to fill in space and its annoying as hell when we complain the game is getting ridiculously congested. There is no other game in the world that has non-players on the ground all the time. Imagine if a grand final gets decided by a runner giving away a free - it will be a tragedy. It's time to do away with those annoying, space sucking, ex-player runners who still want to influence play. If players have to try and work out for themselves what to do out on the field that they are getting paid hundred and thousands of dollars each year to do - that's a good thing! :evil:
+1

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Don't like runners either. When you think about it, it looks stupid.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Yes!!! Always wear long stops!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Whilst we're at it, let's bring back the white coats and white pork pie hats for the goal umpires. I'm actually serious about this one. An iconic look of the game which has been sadly missing.

and

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Runners are kind of part of the game culture - but agree we need to regulate their behaviour.
The 4th umpire or whoever it is sitting on the sidelines should be policing it.
That Freo guy a few weeks ago running into gaps like he was Rob Eddy was like a 19th man. Just ridiculous.
If it was the 90s someone like Plugger or Gary Ablett would purposely line one up to teach them a lesson.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Runners are kind of part of the game culture - but agree we need to regulate their behaviour.
The 4th umpire or whoever it is sitting on the sidelines should be policing it.
That Freo guy a few weeks ago running into gaps like he was Rob Eddy was like a 19th man. Just ridiculous.
If it was the 90s someone like Plugger or Gary Ablett would purposely line one up to teach them a lesson.
Is that rosco's old mate that we used to have? The one that was always giving away frees?

The only reason I think a runner should be going out is to tell a player that he needs to come off… The coaching messages can be delivered in the intervals.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Whilst we're at it, let's bring back the white coats and white pork pie hats for the goal umpires. I'm actually serious about this one. An iconic look of the game which has been sadly missing.

and
I totally agree with this.

Because of the stupid umpiring department not wanting to be called white maggots and because of this stupid rule that clubs have to wear away jumpers (mostly white) the umpires and goal umpires have gone away from the white outfits and it's a real shame - especially with the goal umpires.

I also think all goal umpires should wear moustaches during retro round (even the ladies). This part is only tongue in cheek though.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Agreed. At League level... Given the planning and expected onfield leadership level.

They should be obsolete

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Thats the 3rd free kick this year from that same runner!

I remember him at the preseason game at Wagga he had no idea...he didnt know the players or what positions they were and ran around like a 'headless chook'! You can only imagine the quality of messages he is delivering to the players?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Thats the 3rd free kick this year from that same runner!

I remember him at the preseason game at Wagga he had no idea...he didnt know the players or what positions they were and ran around like a 'headless chook'! You can only imagine the quality of messages he is delivering to the players?
Clint's brother?

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I think runners are necessary .
However i think they should have certain limitations on them .
They should not be allowed on until the 5 minute mark of each quarter
and they should have only 1 minute to deliver there message . failure to do so means they have to wait a further minute to be able to deliver there next message .

In red white and black from 73
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Great more rules to police... Something the league does well?!

Get rid of them, onfield leadership would have to step up.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I reckon the more non-players they can get off the ground the better the viewing spectacle will be on TV and would probably also improve the vision when watching the game at ground.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I reckon the more non-players they can get off the ground the better the viewing spectacle will be on TV and would probably also improve the vision when watching the game at ground.
Exactly. With the scrums and congestion its hard enough to see which player is doing what without someone in pink running around hogging space. It would also take away from the coaches control which I think is a good thing. It may give experienced teams an advantage, but conversely it encourages players in developing teams to work things out for themselves and will actually benefit them more down the track. Do we need the water people? You can't wait 20 mins for a drink of water or during your 7 min rotation?

ctqs
Club Player

If they were serious about limiting the use of runners, they should make it so that teams can only have 18 people on the field at any time the ball is in play. So if a runner is on the field, there can only be 17 players.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

With the number of rotations these days, runners are not required at all. Players can relay messages, as they have done for over 100 years!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Neil Balme was on KB's show on SEN in his regular spot on a Friday. He highlighted current rules for runners, he vigorously defended Nigel Lappin's reputation as a fair player and that what happened against Carlton was an accidental indiscretion and Nigel wasn't looking to intentionally block anyone. When asked about whether we need or should retain runners Balmy said; "my personal view is that I think we should get rid of 'em!!"