What's our gameplan?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: What's our gameplan?

BigMart wrote:We push our forwards up very high. Our wings push back defensively and we play a plus 1 in the back half.

We play two defensive small fwds (Josh, CJ) . And push a fwd into the midfield (Joey)... Two Talls and a crumber (Billings/Scnieder)

We do the usual switch on a slow play from HB... To a player coming from behind the ball... And we press on a slow play like all teams.

On a fast play, because all our fwds have pushed high, we try to slingshot over the defence if the press, if the leave numbers back we try to use a hit up

We love to use the Wings... From midfield... Because opposition also have a spare... We will go sideways and the fwds will lead to the pocket, to try and draw the spare wide, then either shot on goal or square it (like Sipposs did to Milera a few weeks back
At least you had a good crack at explaining the way you see us playing.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:Kick it long to Snake Baker. I mean Roo.

Game plan looked obvious in the Bombers game. Switch and attack from defence. Run and spread. Control the football. Team defence. Pretty basic. We did it well that game but have not come close to replicating it since. Our list and confidence is shot at the moment. Getting some sort of belief back into group is more imortant atm. A Mick Malthouse type bbq might be in order. Beer fixes most things. :)
What about a night at the movies

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

The 'game plan' is a myth.

Seriously, there are 18 teams playing a game, and they all pretty much do the same thing.

Some just do it better.

They all try to stop their opponents from kicking goals, and they are all trying to kick goals themselves. That's the 'game plan'!

The strategy on how you achieve that, I think is the mystery that people are looking for. And it's not simply one strategy. So there is no mystery 'game plan'. The game plan is the same as every other club - kick more goals than the opposition.

In terms of strategies, there would be dozens of different strategies that are attempted to be implemented throughout the course of a game as different scenarios arise.

How do we win the centre clearances?
How do react as forwards when we win a centre clearance?
How do we react as defenders if we lose the centre clearance?
How do react as midfielders when our defender has the ball?

etc. etc. etc. etc.

The reality for us, with a new coach who was only at the club for a minute before the season began, is that we most likely wouldn't be close to learning half of these strategies yet!

The other thing is, which defines a 'style of play' is the focus on KPIs. This is probably as close to a game plan as you'll get.

What are our targets each week? Which stats are we focussing on?

That gives an insight into the overall 'game plan' of a team more than anything.

At this stage of our rebuild, at a guess, I'd say Richardson has KPIs in place (ie. tackles, contested ball, GPS stats, play ons), and some high level basic strategies for various scenarios. And I reckon that would probably be it at this stage.

I'd imagine that the detailed strategies for every scenario will be worked on over the next pre-season or two.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The team has trained 70-80 times since Richo took over

That's a reasonable amount of time to learn a GP

To implement it properly ..... Might take a year

Roos and Hinkley certainly got their teams going quickly.... And changed their style

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

You can motivate a group of players to focus on certain areas (which is what Roos has done) but implementing detailed strategies takes time.

With young guys, doing either is very difficult and clearly takes longer.

We appeared to be doing well at the areas that Richardson had us focussing on too - until we lost about 8 blokes to injury.

But I highly doubt we were mastering any sort of complex strategy. I'd say we were focussing on, and winning the areas he was asking them to.

I don't call that a game plan though.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:The team has trained 70-80 times since Richo took over

Roos and Hinkley certainly got their teams going quickly.... And changed their style
According to the experts, training during the season is basically just recovery work, with one main session for the week. And they're almost always open sessions anyway, which are very rarely used for openly flaunting your strategies to the world.

So my guess is (and it's just a guess) that we've probably done very little in terms of our strategies.

I'd guess like most other clubs though, we have a focus on KPIs which, with a young and injured list - we're most likely not meeting.

Whereas Melbourne and a couple of others are motivated and a couple of years ahead in terms maturity and are able to achieve their goals better.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:The team has trained 70-80 times since Richo took over

History suggests it takes on average about 18 months...or one full season and 2 pre seasons with a team of talented and experienced players...Port have bucked that trend but it looks like they have hit the jackpot with some extraudinary players also.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Port only won 3 games in 2011 and 5 games in 2012.
They were terrible for those two years.
But Port fans will tell you their re build was 5-6 years in the making.

2011 and 12 were kind of end of an era years for us.
So really 2013 was year 0.
You would hope we could be half decent in 2016.
So really only 18 more months of pain.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Port only won 3 games in 2011 and 5 games in 2012.

Port started getting good players in about 2007 when they got Boak, Gray and Westoff. Unless our 2012 draft surprises us our first year of the rebuild started in 2013. That means it will be based 2019 when we start coming good based on the Port experience. Even if 2012 suprises us its 2018. Thats the time frame I would be looking at. Its going to be a long rebuild.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

Port started getting good players in about 2007 when they got Boak, Gray and Westoff. Unless our 2012 draft surprises us our first year of the rebuild started in 2013. That means it will be based 2019 when we start coming good based on the Port experience. Even if 2012 suprises us its 2018. Thats the time frame I would be looking at. Its going to be a long rebuild.

Hard to swallow, but in all likelehood true.

Unless we completely smash the trade period and pick up the equilivent of Hammill and Gehrig plus Roo and Kosi we wont be seeing light before 2017-2018. Even with Hamill and Gehrig and Roo and Kosi, we didn't start to 2004, a good three + years after drafting and recruiting them.

You are garbage - Enough said
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hard to swallow, but in all likelehood true.

Unless we completely smash the trade period and pick up the equilivent of Hammill and Gehrig plus Roo and Kosi we wont be seeing light before 2017-2018. Even with Hamill and Gehrig and Roo and Kosi, we didn't start to 2004, a good three + years after drafting and recruiting them.
We really have to find a marque player or two, how many do you need for a premiership team is the question, maybe 3-4 in the next 10 years while GCS and GWS are peaking. Then you will probably need about 6-8 A graders after that.

Watching the Bulldogs come to the realisation that they are not on the upswing yet should be a reminder that we haven't even bottomed out yet. It's going to take at least another 3 years to get some premiership quality players through the door.

Seems like doom and gloom but its not meant to be, we just can't get ahead of ourselves or kid ourselves that the reason we aren't winning games has almost absolutely nothing to do with a game plan.

Having said that I'm still hoping we can say we have found some keepers at the end of the year, probably found 2-3 maybe but I've been surprised at how many it looks like we are going to lose at the end of the year that I previously thought were keepers. If that is the case then we will have gone backwards on the measure this year. That is the real problem we have to avoid, recruiting stuff ups.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Yes, the bad news for us is that Port have been building their current list for around 8 years
Maybe Steven/Armitage will be our version of Cornes/Cassisi… Around 30/31 YO in 2020

Some of Port's current list draft years.
Carlisle, Logan
Boak, Gray, J Westoff
Lobbe
Hartlett, Trengrove, Broadbent, Redden
Butcher, Moore, Pittard, Hitchcock
Young, O'Shea, Jonas,
Wingard
Wines, Colqhoun, Mitchell

FQF
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yes, the bad news for us is that Port have been building their current list for around 8 years
Maybe Steven/Armitage will be our version of Cornes/Cassisi… Around 30/31 YO in 2020

Carlisle, Logan
Boak, Gray, J Westoff
Lobbe
Young, O'Shea, Jonas,
Wingard
There are many ways to skin a cat. I have no doubt that if we exhaust all avenues, including national draft, free agency, trades and then rookie draft, it can be done quicker. Port were not consciously rebuilding since 2005, they were just a basket case and were going along without direction. It can be done quicker and more efficiently.

We have stated our intention to do that, and you get the feeling that we are very systematically and methodically going through a rebuild. There's nothing haphazard about it. That doesn't mean stuff-ups won't happen, but it should be, I hope, that we turn it around more quickly.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:Most over rated phrase in football

The Game Plan
Just like "The Castle" or "The Vibe"

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Carlisle, Logan
Boak, Gray, J Westoff
Lobbe
Young, O'Shea, Jonas,
Wingard
A good and reasonable analysis dragit but looking at Port's list being built closely doesn't exactly represent an 8 year timeframe.

First of all, only one player from the 2005 draft is part of their current lineup so that drafts almost a write-off.

Second of all, there are a number of players drafted on the above list that are not part of Ports best 22.

Finally, in the last 3 drafts Port have drafted Wines and Wingard who are in their best half a dozen players.

The most under appreciated aspect of Port building their list is looking at their work at the trade table. Ebert, Polec, Monfries and Schulz all very good players and Port must be recognised for identifying talent not being utilised at other clubs.

Geez they smashed the 2006 draft though.

I think Armitage and Steven are part of our future and will compliment a competitive team in a few years. Add some extremely talented kids that hopefully pay dividends as Wines, Wingard and Impey have, continue to utilise the trade period to bring in talent like we have began to do in getting Longer, Bruce and Delaney and then attract quality free agents when the time in right.

I think these younger players can compliment a competitive finals team;
Bruce
Weller
Newnes
Webster
Ross
Longer
Wright
Murdoch
Billings
Acres
Dunstan
Templeton
Hickey

These players will add a little more experience to the team;
Armitage
Steven
Delaney
Geary

I'm not as confident these players will make it but could surprise;
Saunders
Shenton
Curren
Lee
Roberton
White
Pierce
Markworth

Sadly I can't see these guys making it;
Dunell
Milera
Maister
Simpkin
Stanley
TDL
Savage
Siposs

And these players will be too old by the time we challenge again;
Gilbert
Hayes
Montagna
Gwilt
Ray
Schneider
Riewoldt
Jones
Dempster
Fisher

The point is, we've got a decent core coming through that obviously need to be sprinkled with some high level talent, which we began to do last year and will continue to do so over the next 2-3 drafts. I don't think its out of the question we are playing finals within that time frame obviously with a bit of luck.

FQF
SS Life Member

What is it about Murdoch that has people so confident he'll make it? To me, Saunders has shown more?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Good points Old Mate and as FQF points out there's no point trying to replicate anyone else's strategy…

We've made some huge sacrifices to fast track this rebuild already with a massive influx of players over the past 3 years.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:What is it about Murdoch that has people so confident he'll make it? To me, Saunders has shown more?
He has too many elite qualities not to make it IMO. Very fast and agile. Strong around the footy; at ground level and in the air. Very long, accurate and penetrating kick. He's had his injuries that have not allowed him to be at his best or on the park enough.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Good points Old Mate and as FQF points out there's no point trying to replicate anyone else's strategy…

We've made some huge sacrifices to fast track this rebuild already with a massive influx of players over the past 3 years.
Correct. Don't get me wrong I think we are in for some serious pain over the next 18 months but then I suspect we will start seeing signs of improvement and soon after we hopefully shoot back up the ladder. We regularly see teams go from 10-12 on the ladder to being a serious finals threat in the space of a year. It happens quickly.

FQF
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:
FQF wrote:What is it about Murdoch that has people so confident he'll make it? To me, Saunders has shown more?
He has too many elite qualities not to make it IMO. Very fast and agile. Strong around the footy; at ground level and in the air. Very long, accurate and penetrating kick. He's had his injuries that have not allowed him to be at his best or on the park enough.
You're probably right about his qualities and the injuries, my main concern is that he doesn't seem to have a position to play. I hope he settles into a role. As Richo has been quoted as saying, not much value in being a jack of all trades but a master of none.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
You're probably right about his qualities and the injuries, my main concern is that he doesn't seem to have a position to play. I hope he settles into a role. As Richo has been quoted as saying, not much value in being a jack of all trades but a master of none.
I think he will find his niche down back and play an important role as a rebounding half back. He's very much a Pelchen type player; Good skills, left footed and versatile. He's the guy you want with ball in hand coming out of the back half.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

This is a bit of an oblique but all this talk about Port and analysing their rebuild is understandable considering their story but I reckon this final series will be the real acid test on their list. How many of their players are finals players, will there be players exposed in week 3 and 4 of the finals... time will tell.

FQF
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote:This is a bit of an oblique but all this talk about Port and analysing their rebuild is understandable considering their story but I reckon this final series will be the real acid test on their list. How many of their players are finals players, will there be players exposed in week 3 and 4 of the finals... time will tell.
I don't think a loss in a preliminary final will show that their list has major holes or is artificial. They're still young and I wouldn't expect them to win the flag this year.

Having said that, Port will almost certainly finish top 2, giving them a home final at an unimaginably hostile Adelaide Oval. I'd expect them to win, and then they'd get a week off and a prelim again at Adelaide Oval. Anything's possible... They're talented, well coached, and super fit.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Top 4 a massive win for Port this year. I think they could lose week 1 of the finals against Haw/Syd/Freo, win week 2 then lose an away preliminary final. If they win week 1 then they are well in grand final contention which would be amazing considering where they've come from.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:This is a bit of an oblique but all this talk about Port and analysing their rebuild is understandable considering their story but I reckon this final series will be the real acid test on their list. How many of their players are finals players, will there be players exposed in week 3 and 4 of the finals... time will tell.
I don't think a loss in a preliminary final will show that their list has major holes or is artificial. They're still young and I wouldn't expect them to win the flag this year.

Having said that, Port will almost certainly finish top 2, giving them a home final at an unimaginably hostile Adelaide Oval. I'd expect them to win, and then they'd get a week off and a prelim again at Adelaide Oval. Anything's possible... They're talented, well coached, and super fit.
Yep, so if they somehow fail in the prelim or GF and injuries isn't the reason I'm suggesting there will be a magnification on the deficiencies that don't normally present during a home and away season. There always seems to be players that are world beaters in the home and away but just can't perform in the big one, Milne and Ballantyne spring to mind. And as we know there is nowhere to hide in a GF and we just haven't seen how Ports list can perform in the last two games of the year. Time will tell.