Joey to the bummers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Joey to the bummers

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
PurpleHayes wrote:In reality - happy to lose montagna for the right draft pick.

Perched is keen for as many first round picks as possible.

Montagna and 3rd round pick for bombers 1st round pick? Is that enough to get the deal done?

Pick 19 would be great. not sure we could get that and then the question needs to be asked, can we afford to lose another experienced player.
Unless they bring in relegation it hardly matters. We will be bottom 3 next year with or without Montagna.

Can we afford to waste another draft?

How long do we want to down for ?
3 years or 10 ?
Cos three is already locked in but 10 is still open to choice and chance and we need another 6 good young players in the next two years to improve properly.

Before anyone squeals 'Melbourne' which has become the convenient scare campaign for those who cannot let go of he almost glory years and players.

Firstly they are going to be decent next year.
Second they lost Scully Rivers Thompson Mclean Moloney all young.
Third Neeld.
Fourth they made two 19yos Captain.
So we are in no danger of doing a Melbourne.

We will be bad next year though either way. But we need to plan for three or four years away.
If we keep Joey but dont get enough good kids in then we wil still be bad in 5 6 years.
We cant allow that.

ps we may be bottom after tonight. And that's with Joey. So what use is he ? We cant get below bottom.

Why are you saying two different things to the same post.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Montagna and 3rd round pick for bombers 1st round pick? Is that enough to get the deal done?

Pick 19 would be great. not sure we could get that and then the question needs to be asked, can we afford to lose another experienced player.
Unless they bring in relegation it hardly matters. We will be bottom 3 next year with or without Montagna.

How long do we want to be down for ?
3 years or 10 ?
Cos three is already locked in but 10 is still open to choice and chance and we need another 6 good young players in the next two years to improve properly.

Before anyone squeals 'Melbourne' which has become the convenient scare campaign for those who cannot let go of he almost glory years and players.

Third Neeld.

We will be bad next year though either way. But we need to plan for three or four years away.
If we keep Joey but dont get enough good kids in then we wil still be bad in 5 6 years.
We cant allow that.

ps we may be bottom after tonight. And that's with Joey. So what use is he ? We cant get below bottom.

What two different things?
I accidentally did a double post cos I was in my phone and it sometimes make you log in again mid post..

But are you suggesting I am making two contradicting arguments? If so please explain. Cos Im not.
But im guessing you are trying to be smart and score a point and claim a right v wrong situation?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

How long do we want to be down for ?
3 years or 10 ?

Third Neeld.

We cant allow that.

What two different things?
I accidentally did a double post cos I was in my phone and it sometimes make you log in again mid post..

But are you suggesting I am making two contradicting arguments? If so please explain. Cos Im not.
But im guessing you are trying to be smart and score a point and claim a right v wrong situation?

Well one mentions relegation first and the other mentions Joey. didnt bother reading after that because its obvious it wasnt a mtter of pressing something twice. Even you can get that Con.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Well one mentions relegation first and the other mentions Joey. didnt bother reading after that because its obvious it wasnt a mtter of pressing something twice. Even you can get that Con.
What are you talking about?
I didnt say 'pressing something twice' i said there was an issue between the edit and login screens on the phone.
Either way whats the relevance and whats your point?
"even i" are you suggesting you are a smart guy?
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 07 Jun 2014 11:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:For what pick?
If it's pick 18 or 19 then I hope this is true.

Unless your mate is Joeys manager or on the extreme inner sanctum at bomberland then I cant believe it is true.
Bummers don't have a pick before pick 20 at the moment....and that's likely to blow out......anyway they won't have a team next year

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

Unless your mate is Joeys manager or on the extreme inner sanctum at bomberland then I cant believe it is true.
Bummers don't have a pick before pick 20 at the moment....and that's likely to blow out......anyway they won't have a team next year
What is the current situation with their draft situation?

Why not tell us and provide some information rather than try and score a smart-assed point?

Notice I said 'if' meaning I was not sure what they had in the draft - so why not tell us on here so we know if you know.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Just don't see the point in trading out another senior player?

What are we... A meat market for premiership aspirants to feed off

I think Ball, Goddard, Dal Santo and Mac succeeding at other clubs is enough... Montagna might just make me actually pewk!!!

+1,000,000

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
stinger wrote:

What is the current situation with their draft situation?

Why not tell us and provide some information rather than try and score a smart-assed point?

Notice I said 'if' meaning I was not sure what they had in the draft - so why not tell us on here so we know if you know.
Smart assed point...what f****** smart assed point...

If you are f****** ignorant that's not my problem

70s sainter
Club Player

They have pick 19. They would never give it to us for just joey.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:They have pick 19. They would never give it to us for just joey.
They have a compensation pick at the end of round 1.....gws and the suns have two round one picks......that makes the bummers pick 20 at best......there are likely to be some addition compensation picks in round one due to free agency....

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
BigMart wrote:Just don't see the point in trading out another senior player?

What are we... A meat market for premiership aspirants to feed off

I think Ball, Goddard, Dal Santo and Mac succeeding at other clubs is enough... Montagna might just make me actually pewk!!!
Mac hasnt succeeded and the Bombers suck hard.
do you propose we just rot on the bottom for a decade?
Have u seen the young players some clubs have?
If we do nothing we will be bottom for a decade.

Do you think if we keep the same squad together the AFL might announce a 2009 re-match or something?

I know its hard for people to let go of the past and the sentiment and the nearly almost flags. But they are gone. They wont come back.
Keeping the sam squad together is comforting for some I know - but its jeopoardising the future.

In five years when Goddard Joey and NDS are all retired and playing golf together - do you still us want us to be on the bottom?

I suppose then you can whinge that we didnt turn over the list quick enough.

Sadly, I agree. The trading of Dal Santo devastated me but then I saw the brutal reality of our situation vis-à-vis GCS and GWS with their surfeit of top-round draft picks.

We only "succeeded" 2004-11 thanks to priority picks and a bit of luck (Carlton sanctions). To get up there again we need a LOT more first-rounders.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:We only "succeeded" 2004-11 thanks to priority picks and a bit of luck (Carlton sanctions).
You think that the only reason the team had on field success was because of that? Well, that helped, but MAYBE it was also because there was a great drive and burning desire from both players and coaches to succeed.

Come one, Walt! We had a pretty darn successful decade in terms of club history and were bloody unlucky not to get a flag out of it. Let's not sell that era too short.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Why the hell would we trade him to Essendon, they don't have a pick in the first 2 rounds of the draft, so are we going to trade him for pick in the 40's?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

one thing I find curious is the constant references to Melbourne, and about how we don't want to end up like them - or like they were between 2007. -2013 anyway.
Guys, due to the farcical recruiting and trading away of draft picks, we are like Melbourne. The Geelong game last year, the Hawthorn game this year, and our complete inability to match it in the boiler room of a match when it matters is pure Melbourne of that era. Our back line is in intensive care, our crumbers in the forward half are not vigorous enough - but with Milne retiring, Schneider always injured and Saad suspended for the year what can we reasonably expect. This is especially tragic in light of the pathetic recruiting for the past ten years.
Be honest: Lenny will probably retire at season's end, as should Fisher, Schneider, and probably Gwilt. Jones and Ray are probably going to be let go, and guys like Dempster and Gilbert are at the crossroads. Maister will go and I don't think Stanley or Lee are AFL level.
Add to this the retirement of Roo after next season and you can see the problem. It's not all gloom an doom though, guys like Longer, Bruce and Delaney are all clearly talents, and are getting lots of games and experience due to the injuries. Guys have come off the rookie list and shown enough for the club to perservere with them. In light of all that I would suggest that IF we can get a pick inside 20 for Joey, I would grudgingly take it.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Monty reminds me of Kerr from WCE when Judd and Cousins left the team. All of a sudden you go from being the number 3 or 4 banana to the big tomato and all of a sudden you are the first one picked and squeezed. He aint cherry ripe any more, well not for the picking anyway.

Fidelis
Club Player

Would have thought Dons are the least likely team in the comp for us to be trading with. As a result of their draft sanctions, not only have they few/no picks which would interest us, they are unlikely to part with any decent pick they do get access to. They are far more likely to go the other way and do another Crameri; trading out to gain decent picks.

Faithful Even Unto Death
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I have been disappointed in the recent form shown by Leigh Montagna, but I'm prepared to let the Senior coach and the football department make the call on what happens next. The Essendon stuff is just fan forum speculation/ mischief making (IMHO)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
dragit
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:one thing I find curious is the constant references to Melbourne, and about how we don't want to end up like them - or like they were between 2007. -2013 anyway.
Guys, due to the farcical recruiting and trading away of draft picks, we are like Melbourne. The Geelong game last year, the Hawthorn game this year, and our complete inability to match it in the boiler room of a match when it matters is pure Melbourne of that era. Our back line is in intensive care, our crumbers in the forward half are not vigorous enough - but with Milne retiring, Schneider always injured and Saad suspended for the year what can we reasonably expect. This is especially tragic in light of the pathetic recruiting for the past ten years.
Be honest: Lenny will probably retire at season's end, as should Fisher, Schneider, and probably Gwilt. Jones and Ray are probably going to be let go, and guys like Dempster and Gilbert are at the crossroads. Maister will go and I don't think Stanley or Lee are AFL level.
Add to this the retirement of Roo after next season and you can see the problem. It's not all gloom an doom though, guys like Longer, Bruce and Delaney are all clearly talents, and are getting lots of games and experience due to the injuries. Guys have come off the rookie list and shown enough for the club to perservere with them. In light of all that I would suggest that IF we can get a pick inside 20 for Joey, I would grudgingly take it.
I reckon if lose who you have mentioned
Lenny, fisher, Schneider, Gwilt, jones, Ray, Stanley, Lee, Dempster, Gilbert, Maister & Montagna
The AFL would remove us from the comp as there would be 40+ goal losses every week.
I think Dunell, TDL, Maister, Simpkin & savage would be in front of all of those guys to be delisted & we can't turn over the entire list in one year... We've already added over 30 new players in he last 3 years.

wally
Club Player

Maybe Joey is more interested in his TV duties.
In all fairness in a side like ours presently he's going to cop more attention the same as NDS would have if he stayed.
Stay or go, whatever, just allow the club a good deal.
Ess would consider themselves a prem. chance so a topup would seem appropriate.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

In my opinion he should have been shipped off years ago and well-before the likes of BJ, NDS and Mac.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Didn't the club have a funny clause in Dal Santo's contract that even though he was contracted for another season, gave them the option to not renew Dal's contract that then made him free agent? It was seemingly designed to facilitate a free agent compo pick. I wonder if Monty has something similar. He would be on a good wage so we might get a pretty good compo pick and Essendon wouldn't lose a pick. And Essendon may be scared shitless about missing a lot of players next year and want some experienced players or some more line breakers.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:Didn't the club have a funny clause in Dal Santo's contract that even though he was contracted for another season, gave them the option to not renew Dal's contract that then made him free agent? It was seemingly designed to facilitate a free agent compo pick. I wonder if Monty has something similar. He would be on a good wage so we might get a pretty good compo pick and Essendon wouldn't lose a pick. And Essendon may be scared shitless about missing a lot of players next year and want some experienced players or some more line breakers.
So if Essendon are going to lose players due to the drug stuff...why would any player head there?

Both us and the Dons would be terrible so why make the move?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
Bluthy wrote:Didn't the club have a funny clause in Dal Santo's contract that even though he was contracted for another season, gave them the option to not renew Dal's contract that then made him free agent? It was seemingly designed to facilitate a free agent compo pick. I wonder if Monty has something similar. He would be on a good wage so we might get a pretty good compo pick and Essendon wouldn't lose a pick. And Essendon may be scared shitless about missing a lot of players next year and want some experienced players or some more line breakers.
So if Essendon are going to lose players due to the drug stuff...why would any player head there?

Both us and the Dons would be terrible so why make the move?
Money? Fair point though. But if they don't have any players banned then they should be in ok position next year and need some more run. It seems unlikely but I wouldn't rule it out.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think Joey seriously might be off.
May be in both parties interests - especially if he has lot his passion for playing for the Saints.

As for experience - we might as well stick with Armo and Gilbo now. Neither would bring us a lot in trades and up until his recent bad run Gilbo is usually pretty resilient and not injury prone. Might get another good few years from both those guys. Hopefully they can heal completely now.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

There is a point to retaining some "experience" around the Club for the younger guys to feed off. There won't be many left next year.