Let's not forget

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Let's not forget

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cant we just play our best player where he would currently be if the AA side was actually picked now.
Yes because the whole club's existence revolves around Roo maybe getting in the AA extended squad before it gets cut down so he gets at least 3 days of pleasure at some time in October before he actually misses making the team anyway.

Is that in the Club's Priority statement?

touche!

We are in a development phase amd we need to develop some forwards. Their development is being stunted because Riewoldt is the target nine times out of 10 when we head to goal.

IMO Nick should be able to see the bigger picture if the move was to happen. He may even welcome a move up to wing where he wouldn't be up against three opponents every time.

Who knows, it may even result in some much-needed wins later in the season - a tonic that the club should be striving for desperately

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cant we just play our best player where he would currently be if the AA side was actually picked now.
Yes because the whole club's existence revolves around Roo maybe getting in the AA extended squad before it gets cut down so he gets at least 3 days of pleasure at some time in October before he actually misses making the team anyway.

Is that in the Club's Priority statement?

touche!

We are in a development phase amd we need to develop some forwards. Their development is being stunted because Riewoldt is the target nine times out of 10 when we head to goal.

IMO Nick should be able to see the bigger picture if the move was to happen. He may even welcome a move up to wing where he wouldn't be up against three opponents every time.

Who knows, it may even result in some much-needed wins later in the season - a tonic that the club should be striving for desperately

We dont have enough tall forwards as it is and now we want to move a player who would currently be CHF in the AA side to the wing so that players who are struggling at Sandy get a game. I suggest you go to the footy and watch the game from level 2 or 3 and see why we kick it to Rooy most of the time. its because he is the only one making constant leads and also the only one trying to create space. Not having him there wont change that the other forwards are either lazy or dont have the knowledge to play as a leading forward. Also havent you always wanted to play your best side every week. Playing Roo on the wing isnt playing your best side. I have seen nothing the way Roo plays to suggest he could be a good midfielder apart from his great tank.

arpstk
Club Player

The idea (Roo on the wing) has some merit simply because it changes things up and who knows it may work beautifully or it may be hopeless but at least we're trying something different. I don't even mind the idea of Roo in the backline because he is a player with presence and does impact on those around him.

People cannot really say we would miss him from the forward line when we only kick 8 goals each week anyway. The number of times we broke down kicking it long to Roo or Stanley was painful even gold coast youngsters run the ball with greater security and they do have targets up front.

Lets try something a bit different

spert
Saintsational Legend

AR should get wise and play Roo at FF at all times, and not have him go running up the ground- he is a champion player who busts a gut, but it is time to start using him wisely. Rather than wish for a Kosi or Milne , we need to start seeing some better midfield and forward line structure and tactics so we can get more goals on the scoreboard basically- not convinced there's a lot of smarts coming out of the coaching box unfortunately.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:havent you always wanted to play your best side every week. Playing Roo on the wing isnt playing your best side. I have seen nothing the way Roo plays to suggest he could be a good midfielder apart from his great tank.
I reckon he'd go all right on the wing actually. Remember the Tigers did it with Richo a few years back and he nearly won the Brownlow.

So he would still be in our best side and we would get to develop some forwards. Gotta look at the bigger picture Plugger.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:havent you always wanted to play your best side every week. Playing Roo on the wing isnt playing your best side. I have seen nothing the way Roo plays to suggest he could be a good midfielder apart from his great tank.
I reckon he'd go all right on the wing actually. Remember the Tigers did it with Richo a few years back and he nearly won the Brownlow.

So he would still be in our best side and we would get to develop some forwards. Gotta look at the bigger picture Plugger.

I am and thats why I want him up forward so he can teach the forwards how to play and they need all the help they can get.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I am and thats why I want him up forward so he can teach the forwards how to play and they need all the help they can get.
At the moment they are not learning anything except how to stay out of the skipper's way. You'd be surprised what a bit of responsibility could do for an ambitious young player like Siposs for example. People tend to step up and grow in the job when an opportunity presents itself

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

At the moment they are not learning anything except how to stay out of the skipper's way. You'd be surprised what a bit of responsibility could do for an ambitious young player like Siposs for example. People tend to step up and grow in the job when an opportunity presents itself

I would be even more surprised if Rooy played anywhere but the forward line until he retires. Im not sure how long these ideas have been mentioned but it must be close to 5 years now and he still hasnt played in any other position because he is clearly our best forward and by a long way. I doubt he is close to our best onballer though.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I would be even more surprised if Rooy played anywhere but the forward line until he retires. Im not sure how long these ideas have been mentioned but it must be close to 5 years now and he still hasnt played in any other position because he is clearly our best forward and by a long way. I doubt he is close to our best onballer though.

Well Nick holds a LOT of sway down there and if he wants to stay at chf until he retires he probably will.

However if the coach approaches him about a change in role and he can see the long-term benefit to the club that he leads, he might go for it.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

A pack crasher is all well and good, but if you don't have any decent crumbers to snaffle the ball off the deck, then there's no point.

Thought Eli was perfect to gather the crumbs and filled a lot of the void in the area Milney has left. But for now we'll have to suit for Milera.

I sincerely hope Lee can make his way back in the team and show some of his form from last year. Otherwise, we're kinda stuck with a one dimensional forward line.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well Nick holds a LOT of sway down there and if he wants to stay at chf until he retires he probably will.

However if the coach approaches him about a change in role and he can see the long-term benefit to the club that he leads, he might go for it.

Totally true but I doubt the coach could see any benefit so I doubt the subject would ever come up.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Totally true but I doubt the coach could see any benefit so I doubt the subject would ever come up.
I wouldn't presume to speak for the coach. Who knows how he thinks. He is in there because of his strong reputation in developing young players, though

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I wouldn't presume to speak for the coach. Who knows how he thinks. He is in there because of his strong reputation in developing young players, though

No what I was using is logic and after 10 games there is no sign of Roo playing any other positions. Im sure he can develop players and it will certainly help a young forward is Roo is playing next to you telling about the game.