NEW Asst Coach !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainters4eva
Club Player

Re: NEW Asst Coach !!

Well done Saints for being so progressive. Well credentialed coach who has played at the highest level a women can in this very male dominated sport. Is well regarded by some astute male coaches. Just hope now people can look beyond her gender and see the skills, knowledge and abilities she can bring to this sport and at the same time break down this myth that you have to have played at the highest level to be a good coach.

lw

Highly rated and a fantastic appointment! Go Saints!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Would the Australian Womens Netball Team be ok with a male coach roaming through the change rooms. That's one problem I can see. Worth the experiment though if our budget doesn't allow us to employ the best available coaches at AFL level. I hope she succeeds.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Would the Australian Womens Netball Team be ok with a male coach roaming through the change rooms. That's one problem I can see. Worth the experiment though if our budget doesn't allow us to employ the best available coaches at AFL level. I hope she succeeds.

Probably many female trainers involved in AFL teams. Certainly is with local footy and its no issue. Im more worried that she has the right credentials and it isnt just a token appointment. Backs coach at Port 2 years ago. is that really enough?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:Currently we have

Saints Player Academy

Simon McPhee - Academy Manager

Paul Hudson - Development Coach

Lindsay Gilbee - Development Coach

I wonder if either Hudson/Gilbee have left or Peta has been added as a 3rd development coach?
Gilbee was certainly still there sat night
I'm hoping/thinking as Simon took on Academy manager maybe it's more his position replaced

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Would the Australian Womens Netball Team be ok with a male coach roaming through the change rooms. That's one problem I can see. Worth the experiment though if our budget doesn't allow us to employ the best available coaches at AFL level. I hope she succeeds.

Probably many female trainers involved in AFL teams. Certainly is with local footy and its no issue. Im more worried that she has the right credentials and it isnt just a token appointment. Backs coach at Port 2 years ago. is that really enough?
She didn't play at AFL level and she has had minimal experience at AFL level and in particular under very experienced coaches within a very good system so I would guess there were better choices on that score. I think it is probably token and I think our weak financial situation probably doesn't allow us to pick the very best also.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

She didn't play at AFL level and she has had minimal experience at AFL level and in particular under very experienced coaches within a very good system so I would guess there were better choices on that score. I think it is probably token and I think our weak financial situation probably doesn't allow us to pick the very best also.
There are a lot of good assistants at AFL level who have never played at the highest level. Its a bit rich to say its tokenism. She did incredible work at Port Melbourne and also worked in a development role at the Western Jets, so maybe, just maybe she is actually good at whats she does and deserves this role.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

There are a lot of good assistants at AFL level who have never played at the highest level. Its a bit rich to say its tokenism. She did incredible work at Port Melbourne and also worked in a development role at the Western Jets, so maybe, just maybe she is actually good at whats she does and deserves this role.
Who are the assistants you refer to that didn't play at the highest level and what club are they currently coaching at? Not saying I disagree with you just would be genuinely interesting in learning.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Very proud that we have hired her. Don't care one iota what the circumstances are. She deserves a crack, and all the better that it is our club that provides that opportunity. With a developing young team, we need all the help we can get.

Surely we all got over the chicks in change rooms issue years ago?

Couldn't see that Sam Lane's article from this morning has been posted, but here it is (again, possibly).

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/l ... zrulm.html

Always loyal
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Who are the assistants you refer to that didn't play at the highest level and what club are they currently coaching at? Not saying I disagree with you just would be genuinely interesting in learning.
The current Hawthorn interim coach Brendan Bolton for one. He only played senior football in Tassie. Neil Craig is another

sasaint
Club Player

Very happy with this appointment for a lot of reasons. Bringing a bit of the Borough winning culture and tough as nails game to our club can't be a bad thing. Also we can always do with some positive brand association which this gives it in spades. Well done Alan and Finnis. :)

Patience young grasshopper
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

If it's tokenism that's fine so long as it creates a better image for our club and helps when we go out looking for sponsorship revenue. Be bloody hard working in sales at the Saints at the moment......a very hard sell.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

The current Hawthorn interim coach Brendan Bolton for one. He only played senior football in Tassie. Neil Craig is another
I'm not being smart here but you said "lots". I'm not disagreeing with the appointment, all I'm saying is it's speculative and I suppose sometimes you have to make brave calls but it's not a decision based on a proven track record at AFL level and arguably it's not a decision based on the best available. Like I said I hope she makes it.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I'm not being smart here but you said "lots". I'm not disagreeing with the appointment, all I'm saying is it's speculative and I suppose sometimes you have to make brave calls but it's not a decision based on a proven track record at AFL level and arguably it's not a decision based on the best available. Like I said I hope she makes it.
How do you know its not a decision based on the best available????

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Meh, don't get the fuss.

Solid appointment, great references.

Go saints!

thequarry
Club Player

I think the opening in the development coaches' department was left by Tony Micale's departure? Someone please do correct me but Hudson and McPhee were certainly already there, and I thought Gilbee was too when he left.

The redundancies made of Wakelin and Dillon's positions might have been necessary for the club to be able to make the appointment too.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So she could never coach at AFL level, and no woman ever could.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Neil Craig & Brendan McCartney didn't play at AFL level.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

How do you know its not a decision based on the best available????
Because I am going out on a limb and guessing that the best available is someone that has a proven track record at AFL level, not a lesser league. She may well be suited to the position, time will tell and as I say, I hope she succeeds.

BTW, Neil Craig wasn't suited to a senior coaching role but is looking like a good assistant. Brendan Bolton looks like a good assistant but is unproven at the senior AFL level and is only an interim senior coach.

Proven track record.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Neil Craig & Brendan McCartney didn't play at AFL level.
Both unproven, one failed, one yet to prove himself.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Voss, Ratten, Primus, Watson etc etc… all champions on the playing field, didn't help them coach.

I wouldn't call Neil Craig's career a failure by any means… 177 games at a similar WIN/Loss to Sheedy.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Voss, Ratten, Primus, Watson etc etc… all champions on the playing field, didn't help them coach.

I wouldn't call Neil Craig's career a failure by any means… 177 games at a similar WIN/Loss to Sheedy.
Surely none of this is relevant unless they're announcing today that she's replacing Richo :shock:

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Not arguing that playing AFL automatically makes you succeed as a coach, arguing that it helps.

Neil Craig was good but failed on his ultimate measure as a senior coach, probably found his rightful level at the assistant level, just like Ratten.

Primus probably like Watson, big fail and probably wont coach again because of stark realisation...no proven track record at AFL level prior to appointments.

Paul Roos at Melbourne...proven track record at AFL level. Right man for that job.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

All true and valid, Dragit. But, given she's joining the ranks as a development coach, I reckon that's the right job, from a perspective of her background and to keep her performance assessment from being tied to win/loss ratios. The club management will be able to assess her away from the extra special scrutiny of the chattering classes who will look for reasons why her gender is antithetical to football coaching success.

If she performs up to the expectations of those who have engaged her services in a development role, then they and she can have increased confidence she can go forward, and withstand that "extra" scrutiny.

I reckon it's a terrific appointment. Let's face it, lots of spruiking about diversity means jot if you don't actually do some of it.

Just as an aside, and from the dregs of my memory, but I seem to recall the person who took the strongest stand at E'dope, about the jabfest, was a woman employed in their fitness and conditioning staff. Again from memory, I also seem to recall she either got the bullet for her protest, or quit in disgust. Maybe they should have listened to her, instead of the blind allegiance to the boys' club culture.

While there could well be some element of pleasing the AFL heirarchy with such an appointment, I actually enjoy a bit of differentiation. And, let's face it, one of the best routes out of our current malaise is to differentiate ourselves. If this move enables the AFL to hold us up as a good example, then great.

I hope she does bring a broader perspective to our player development, 'cos it can only help. And, I hope she gets to the chance to be both a development and developing coach.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
philtee
Club Player

Anyone else remember that excellent British TV series, "The Manageress", with Cherie Lunghi
as the woman who takes over the Manager's job at a struggling F.A. Club, and has to resist the Chairman,
Board, players, supporters who all try to bring her down.

All the arguments being raised here are very familiar !

Only twelve episodes made...
...do they get promoted to First Division in the last ep???