St.Kilda FC Supporter Existensial Crisis

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

St.Kilda FC Supporter Existensial Crisis

It didn't seem like all that long ago when before every weekend I'd be looking forward to seeing the mighty Saints take the field. For the last year I've dreaded that thought because in the back of my mind lingers the thought we'll be on a hiding to nothing. It has become a rare situation where I feel optimistic or even remotely enthusiastic about any chances of seeing us get a win. Sure, we had three earlier in the season, but the thought of having any more victories has seemed to have all but dried up. The current consensus amongst the supporters seems really bleak. It has got to the point where a lot of us are hoping we finish dead last in order to get priority picks, like it'll all work out in the future if we do that. What about clubs like North Melbourne who never bottomed out? How the bloody hell have they sustained their competitiveness. Nothing in the AFL makes any sense anymore. I don't know about the rest of you, but the thought of a wooden spoon leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth. I really thought that after the 80s and Timid Watson's short lived coaching tenure, our tally would remain at twenty-six and the rotten Scumbaggers would get their comeuppance with a dynasty of spoons to match our tragic history. Or maybe it'll be a good omen to have twenty-seven because Barry Breen wore that number when his wobbly old kick got us "the point of it all". So now, basically we're hoping the team just puts the cue in the rack and there's almost no point in having a red hot go on the field? If winning is no longer in the equation, why bother playing? Why bother even attending the footy? Is there anything to look forward to for the remainder of this season? Someone, please enlighten me!

Sorry, I'm gonna go and try to cheer up over a nice Prozac milkshake.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: St.Kilda FC Supporter Existensial Crisis

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-05-3 ... -for-richo

"

ST KILDA coach Alan Richardson is not concerned that the remainder of the 2014 season is going to become a grind for the Saints, saying it will be a "fantastic" opportunity for his plethora of youngsters to launch their AFL careers.

The Saints made a bright start to 2014, winning three of their first five games, but have now lost five games in a row, with the past four losses coming at an average losing margin of 75 points.

Speaking after his team's 86-point loss to Collingwood at Etihad Stadium on Friday night, Richardson was buoyant about what St Kilda could still achieve in 2014.

"It won't be a challenge, it will be a fantastic opportunity for young players, for young guys to start and build careers," Richardson said.

"For guys that aren't in the team at the moment, like Tommy Lee who kicked five (goals) in a trial game today, (and) David Armitage will come back into the team.

"So there's going to be some real opportunities and that's the space we're in.

"We need to get games into our young players."

Richardson said youngsters Sebastian Ross, Brodie Murdoch, Luke Dunstan and Cameron Shenton had all shown positive signs against the Magpies.

Full-back Luke Delaney kept Pies spearhead Travis Cloke to one goal in the first half, but had to leave the ground in the third quarter with a sore hip.

Delaney returned to play out the match, but was limited in his movement.

Richardson said later his key defender was in doubt for next round's clash with Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval.

"'Del' has had a bit of an issue with his hip," Richardson said.

"He's been really good for us all the way through (but) he was certainly struggling with his mobility after half-time.

"If we had the sub still sitting there, he probably would have been taken out of the game …

"He's not a certainty (to play next week). We'll do whatever we can to get him up, he's really important.

"It's probably about a 50-50 (chance) I would suggest at this stage."

ps...not going o apologise for printing full article....this is a saints supporter site and the above is an important message from the coach.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I look forward to our extensive list of injured players diminishing as the season progresses so we can finish playing under prepared and not-yet-ready players. You know, the poor young blokes who should be concentrating on establishing themselves at Sandy rather than trying to punch above their weight in the AFL. We can't afford the "luxury" of a long list of injured players.

Saint supporter since '62
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Sting! That was exactly what I needed. It is an important message.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Thanks Sting! That was exactly what I needed. It is an important message.

no worries mate......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Thanks Sting! That was exactly what I needed. It is an important message.

no worries mate......
Was well said by AR.

Shame Delaney is doubtful. Ie. He has a slight bruising and will miss 2 weeks, most likely 4. Well that's what happens this year. No single week injuries bar Dunstan concussion.

Be nice if we could manage a less than 10 goal loss against Port. I'd be content with that.
Last edited by saintspremiers on Sun 01 Jun 2014 9:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
linz
Club Player

Excellent topic. It seems we threw everything at trying to get our second flag at the expense of sustained success
like the so called more sensible clubs like Geelong and Collingwood. (Father / Son rules cost us as well). Totally understandable decision in my opinion.
We were unlucky; simple as that. What pisses me off more than anything, are members deserting the ship when the club needs them.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:What pisses me off more than anything, are members deserting the ship when the club needs them.
It's a real worry. If they truly "love" the club, they could at least renew their memberships. No one is forcing them to attend any of the matches. These days the club even gives you the option to pay off your membership with monthly installments. So these people have no excuse. Bloody fair weather friends! Reckon the membership department might have to go for a similar approach to one they used about 10 years ago where members were encouraged in trying to recruit more (or new) members.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i've posted this before , but 'n luckily ,
my Dark mourning of the Soul took place
at linton st on the sunday following our loss to
the maggots in the replay.

the response that day to the wounded
the bereft the scarred was corporate gibberish wrapped up in feelgood chickensoup
for the cash cow(s)

i've had 3 wasted years to get ready for this frightmare.
Suck it up Princesses.
This , too , Shall pass.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Almost 48 years since we won a flag and we are nowhere near it yet, man that is a slow rebuild.

:lol:

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I always enjoy going to the footy. There's always something to cheer about - some brilliant bit of individual play, Roo and Steven's great goals this year, marvelling at Lenny wheel out of pack with head held high, Eli was an excitement machine early. Players have been working damn hard they just don't have the legs and poise to sustain it over 4 quarters. I'm hoping with a bit more class being drafted and some younger players building a tank, by next season we should have the ability to keep the 100 point blowouts to a minimum by being able to play some tempo footy and actually keep possession. Even Geelong got beaten by 100 points so s*** happens. Steven, Armo, Hickey Billings, Dunstan, Acres, Templeton and more class to come - it's the very start of a new dynasty that when built properly will have us up there for quite a while again. Just need a little patience over the next few years.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:Excellent topic. It seems we threw everything at trying to get our second flag at the expense of sustained success
like the so called more sensible clubs like Geelong and Collingwood. (Father / Son rules cost us as well). Totally understandable decision in my opinion.
We were unlucky; simple as that. What pisses me off more than anything, are members deserting the ship when the club needs them.

I heard last year on SEN that Geelongs VFL team have three full time coaching staff and then a crew of part time analysts and such on top of that and then review staff etc. They were trying to keep up with collingwood who probably have GPS on their own VFL club players during games. Their development and recruiting is first rate and world class ours is like the local footy club lets some of our boys have a run with them.

When you have a stadium deal that keeps you reliant on cash hand outs to just pay off debt it's pretty hard to compete. Geelong and Collingwood received huge political money to do redevelopments in Geelongs case which allow them to rent out their stadium for even more money and Collingwood had so much tax payer money banked they earned something like $100 000 in interest off it.

freakin sucks, at least we have a plan in place to do a rebuild. Hopefully the fat bullfrogs get so up them selves they don't see a sneaky little alleyway brawler pull them selves out from behind some bins and knife them with a shiv fashioned out of an old tin can. Saints need to get some street smarts like an ice riddled Grey Street pimp and teach these nouveau riche clowns some manners.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:I always enjoy going to the footy. There's always something to cheer about - some brilliant bit of individual play, Roo and Steven's great goals this year, marvelling at Lenny wheel out of pack with head held high, Eli was an excitement machine early. Players have been working damn hard they just don't have the legs and poise to sustain it over 4 quarters. I'm hoping with a bit more class being drafted and some younger players building a tank, by next season we should have the ability to keep the 100 point blowouts to a minimum by being able to play some tempo footy and actually keep possession. Even Geelong got beaten by 100 points so s*** happens. Steven, Armo, Hickey Billings, Dunstan, Acres, Templeton and more class to come - it's the very start of a new dynasty that when built properly will have us up there for quite a while again. Just need a little patience over the next few years.
Great post! Love your work, Bluthy.

Principle of Q'uo wrote: Suck it up Princesses.
This , too , Shall pass.
Have been sucking it up like all my fellow suckers who are Sainters till death do us part.

Will be an exhilarating feeling, almost like coming out of a coma, once these dark times are behind us.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

yep.
well ... i'm suckn it up with the rest of ya's.

it aint pretty but its our lot.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
linz wrote:Excellent topic. It seems we threw everything at trying to get our second flag at the expense of sustained success

I heard last year on SEN that Geelongs VFL team have three full time coaching staff and then a crew of part time analysts and such on top of that and then review staff etc. They were trying to keep up with collingwood who probably have GPS on their own VFL club players during games. Their development and recruiting is first rate and world class ours is like the local footy club lets some of our boys have a run with them.

When you have a stadium deal that keeps you reliant on cash hand outs to just pay off debt it's pretty hard to compete. Geelong and Collingwood received huge political money to do redevelopments in Geelongs case which allow them to rent out their stadium for even more money and Collingwood had so much tax payer money banked they earned something like $100 000 in interest off it.

freakin sucks, at least we have a plan in place to do a rebuild. Hopefully the fat bullfrogs get so up them selves they don't see a sneaky little alleyway brawler pull them selves out from behind some bins and knife them with a shiv fashioned out of an old tin can. Saints need to get some street smarts like an ice riddled Grey Street pimp and teach these nouveau riche clowns some manners.
Interesting post gringo

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I went to the game on Friday night with absolutely no expectations other than watching the kids get another game into them, and hopefully give a good account of themselves. I was with my cousin who is a mad Collingwood fan, and we had a good night ( even allowing for the result) with a few drinks and some good natured banter. I feel that the pressure is off in some respects, and the idea that anyone could get in the remotest bit demoralised by our season ( given the dire forecasts pre season ) is beyond me. I joined as a member at the end of season 2000, I see NO reason whatsoever not to continue being a member! ( even allowing for my odd dummy-spit at the club;-) ) Go Saints! ( to hell with the rest!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I went to the game on Friday night with absolutely no expectations other than watching the kids get another game into them, and hopefully give a good account of themselves. I was with my cousin who is a mad Collingwood fan, and we had a good night ( even allowing for the result) with a few drinks and some good natured banter. I feel that the pressure is off in some respects, and the idea that anyone could get in the remotest bit demoralised by our season ( given the dire forecasts pre season ) is beyond me. I joined as a member at the end of season 2000, I see NO reason whatsoever not to continue being a member! ( even allowing for my odd dummy-spit at the club;-) ) Go Saints! ( to hell with the rest!) SORRY I appear to have double-posted again :oops:

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Don't think we are comparable to other clubs in terms of staying competitive, we have lost several stars and leaders that are still playing. Ball, Goddard, dal santo and mcevoy to a lesser extent. In return for them we got nothing or prospects, which does nothing for our position at the moment.

Then there is recently retired leaders and core players, Kosi Milne Blake. Kosi replacement could have been Stanley but he isn't stepping up, closest thing to Milne was Saad but he's another gone. Could make a point for baker too.

Then there's the leaders/core that are injured Fisher and Gilbert, the young guys are trying down back but the absense hurts.

That's 10 players, basically half a team.it's no wonder we are where we are.

We all knew the future was bleak even when we were on top but it didn't matter then because we were going to be premiers, alas it wasn't enough and all this has piled on at the exact time. 1 player walking, free agency throwing a spanner in the works, a coach walking, another coaches sacked, saad scandal, Milne scandal and as if that's not enough, several promising up and comers sidelined with injury delaying their improvement and most likely forcing us to play players that aren't up to it/un-deserving.

It has been a perfect storm but we have to get through it. Not much has gone right in recent years but last years draft was the light at the horizon of the storm, we can see it now but not quite out of it yet.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

:D THAT'S what I'm talkin' about Griggsy you beauty! :D

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Well done Sting! :D

Your answer, by way of quoting Richo, has turned the tide of this thread.

Great posts lead by the likes of Bluthy, (real) Dave, Griggsy and others followed that lead. 8-)

And some perspective from Gringo and Linz.

And some reality from Gaz... however, I firmly believe that 'being our lot' doesn't need to remain so for too much longer. :twisted:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
ChelseaGuy
Club Player

Love the title of this thread and agree wholeheartedly with what Griggsy wrote. Going to be a bit of a tough slog until we get going again. Now is actually the time where supporters need to show up and support the team, probably one of the few tangible ways we can make an impact.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

For us long time supporters, we have been here before, however during the 80's, there was no draft or salary cap and no way out but to try and buy your way out.
I was relatively happy at 3/4 time Friday, thought we had made a reasonable account of ourselves to then, but, I must admit, a little disappointed on how we capitulated in the final quarter. There were probably perfectly good reasons for it, but I was thought I was looking at about an 8 goal defeat.
But we move on, like others, I'm just going to the games with no expectations, just hoping to see some positives from the young kids. There were positives from Friday, Shenton is taking his opportunity and Sipposs looked like the player he could be again.
Unlike the 80's, there is a way out with the draft, trade and free agency. Therefore, for me the most exciting part of the season will be the trade and draft season in October and November.
Smart recruiting means we don't have a decade long period of pain.
AS for the other clubs, North aren't going to win a premiership with the team they got right now, Geelong are starting to show cracks in the machine, thank God I'm not a Richmond supporter, we're closer than they are, same goes for Carlton.
We may win another game or two this year, but it really doesn't matter, but what does matter are the people who are only fair weather supporters, just like to remind them when they see that loss on the balance sheet that THEY ARE PARTIALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT!

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure what existentialism means, but as far as I am concerned, life has no meaning without premierships. The absurdity of the draft means that even with high draft picks, success is elusive. Throughout any game, I am wracked with anxiety and after a loss feel alienated even from other Saints supporters. I am then just an individual seeking to validate my own beliefs, like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel, never ending or beginning on an ever spinning reel, as the images unwind, like the circles that you find, in the windmills of your mind!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I always remember the weekly thrashings at Moorabbin, always sat in the same spot (outer pocket, scoreboard end), every Saturday. Used to turn up early with family and friends and we knew everyone around us. It used to be so much fun and so many laughs, one of my favorite memories was when the trumpet player used to occasionally play the last stand during one of our memorable thrashings...Then we'd all head over to the social club and rock the night away. Awesome days.

We should get a concrete company to sponsor us...seriously, how funny would that be.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Thanks to all the fantastic posts in response to my lament from last night. They have helped cheer me up. Keep 'em coming!
Cairnsman wrote:We should get a concrete company to sponsor us...seriously, how funny would that be.
Essendon used to be sponsored by Nubrik, didn't they? Ironic considering none of their supporters have seen their club fall on hard times. Well, not until last year, I guess.

I guess it's also ironic that we're sponsored by LEDified, in light of the dark times the club is experiencing.