Let's not forget

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Let's not forget

We are seriously missing Milne and a Kosi type of player, a pack crasher.
Plus, we still have a serious problem of kick it to Roo regardless.
Classic example was in the last quarter, when Stanley was clear just outside the 50, but instead of kicking it there we kicked it to Roo and maybe Schneider where it was a 4 on 2 situation. The 4 one easily and they swept the ball away.
Just hope there is a power forward of some type in the upcoming draft, as we are going to have a 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick this year depending on how many games Brisbane and GWS can do for the rest of the year.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Let's not forget

3rd generation saint wrote: we still have a serious problem of kick it to Roo regardless.
Easy fix, unpopular fix, scary fix for all the unknowns and for all the qualities he brings to the whole football club..... Roo retires at the end of this year

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote: we still have a serious problem of kick it to Roo regardless.
Easy fix, unpopular fix, scary fix for all the unknowns and for all the qualities he brings to the whole football club..... Roo retires at the end of this year

So we retire our best player because we kick it to him to much. How is the club helped by him retiring at the end of the year. I take it you are joking?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I didn't say WE retire him!! I said Roo retires. Do you have a habit of not understanding what someone said or do you purposefully like twisting things round?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:I didn't say WE retire him!! I said Roo retires. Do you have a habit of not understanding what someone said or do you purposefully like twisting things round?

Why would he retire himself. he has a contract and has had a good year. I just thought for him to retire it would have to be the clubs idea well actually I thought it was your idea as you mentioned it. I just dont get your point.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Players retire themselves for a lot of reasons. Yes it'll be a difficult transition when Roo hangs them up but why not 2014 instead of 2015.

There are a lot of great players who don't retire and try and hang on for that last elusive tilt at a flag, but seriously...what chance are we of even finishing 9th next year?

There will be those who only see negatives in Rooy retiring but I'm sure there are fans who understand there will be positives.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Players retire themselves for a lot of reasons. Yes it'll be a difficult transition when Roo hangs them up but why not 2014 instead of 2015.

There are a lot of great players who don't retire and try and hang on for that last elusive tilt at a flag, but seriously...what chance are we of even finishing 9th next year?

There will be those who only see negatives in Rooy retiring but I'm sure there are fans who understand there will be positives.

Can you name a real positive. By the way unless he gets bad injury he is not even a 1% chance of retiring at the end of the year. it sounds like you dont mind the idea.

PJ
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote:Players retire themselves for a lot of reasons. Yes it'll be a difficult transition when Roo hangs them up but why not 2014 instead of 2015.

I'm a massive Riewoldt fan but the truth is we won't know what impact Roo's retirement will have until it happens.

When there are several options in the forward 50 we will be way less predictable but can a more even balance deliver more goals? Don't know.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:

I'm a massive Riewoldt fan but the truth is we won't know what impact Roo's retirement will have until it happens.

When there are several options in the forward 50 we will be way less predictable but can a more even balance deliver more goals? Don't know.

It can go either way. i remember think post Harvey was going to be tough but the guys like Joey, Dal and Lenny took another step forward after he retired and really took ownership of the midfield. I don't want to imagine what we would be like ATM with out him but hopefully when he does eventually retire we have some one who steps up.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We lose Lockett before 95 season - then play in our first grand final in over a quarter of a century 2 years later - after finishing on top of the ladder for only the second time in 100 years.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

As far as I'm concerned, Nick is playing very very well this season and is also (more significantly) kicking with greater accuracy, so why on earth we would want to see him retire is a wee bit beyond my old brain to process. However, I do agree that the "kick it long to Roo" tactic is far too one-dimensional (as it stands). I really wish that Rhys Stanley could make just a little bit more physical impact on the game, as at the moment he is (IMHO) not making himself very useful as a forward. I appreciate that this could improve when we get Tom Hickey back. At the risk of being jeered off the forum by some posters, could we contemplate giving Beau Maister another run? Just a suggestion folks.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:As far as I'm concerned, Nick is playing very very well this season and is also (more significantly) kicking with greater accuracy, so why on earth we would want to see him retire is a wee bit beyond my old brain to process. However, I do agree that the "kick it long to Roo" tactic is far too one-dimensional (as it stands). I really wish that Rhys Stanley could make just a little bit more physical impact on the game, as at the moment he is (IMHO) not making himself very useful as a forward. I appreciate that this could improve when we get Tom Hickey back. At the risk of being jeered off the forum by some posters, could we contemplate giving Beau Maister another run? Just a suggestion folks.
Maister (or Lee) in. Stanley first ruck. Longer out.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm not 100% certain that Stanley would be an improvement to the ruck position given his (apparent) inability/willingness to go in hard at a contest. Longer (IMHO) has a lot less experience than Stanley and should be given an extended run. This season is in the final analysis a season for getting game time into the likes of Billy Longer.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

If Reiwoldt retired at the end of this year we would be even more rubbish up forward than this year. The OP makes a good point about Milne (or somoene who can play that role) who is badly missed. Kosi was well past his use by date but the role he used to play a few years back as the crash and bash key forward is also missing. We don't have a ready replacement for any of the 2 past champs mentioned and its a large reason our forward line is dysfunctional. Reiwoldt retiring makes things worse not better.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Agree 1k%!

oldie60
Club Player

At the moment due to the inability of Stanley,Siposs, Maister and Lee to provide physical support our game plan is so predictable that Roo is our only option.Until we find other avenues and maybe two or three goalkicking/assisting midfielders we will remain mediocre at best.I'm more concerned about losing Lenny as he probably willed the ball into our forward line on Friday night which has become the accepted norm for someone to lift that we just appear to be stagnant. With all due respect we won't really know whether our list management has worked until we become competitive and based on the lack of physical presence we have bought to the table over the past few weeks i'm seriously questioning the overall attitude. Its like no one other than our two veterans want to make a concerted physical contest.Everyone seems to wait for someone else to do something and by then we fall behind and wear ourselves out playing catch up football.Yes we may have found a couple but a couple ain't going to cut it.Next years draft is pivotal to any mid range success we have in the coming years and needs to involve stocking of 50 to 100 game players with some sort of ball getting ability.The worst thing about our current plight is that other teams will continue to improve so we may have to make some drastic calls sooner rather than later.We have far too many players who would struggle to get a game at AFL level which unless they can improve at a great rate i can't see us having much success for the next two or three seasons.As Allan Jeans use to say " we all have two arms,two legs and can run,its all about what effort you want to make on the contest and given the the scumbags worked the ball around the other night most of it looked like a training drill.I know its tough and of course i love the club but i'm beginning to wonder where's the effort Richo keeps saying we need to bring.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The only reason Roo would retire at the end of the season would be due to his constant knee injuries.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Maister is a pack crasher.

we don't need that...

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Oldie60; mate, we're currently missing Armo and Hickey BIG-TIME, As well as Geary, Templeton, Wright, and older players like Fisher & Gwilt. I understand why you feel less than optimistic at present, but I can still recall the side opening the season with a great deal of promise of a bright future. Injuries to key players have put the kibosh on any hopes of finals, but the season ( IMHO ) can still give us plenty to be heartened about.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Trade Joey while he still has currency, to get an established large forward who has at least 40 games.
Stanley, despite the man-love from Roo, will never be an option.
He only runs fast, but doesn't challenge any defenders too much.
I don't recall any second efforts-ever- where he has helped a crumber get a goal.
So he is less value than Maister.
That may be the reason Roo is the only target.
Nobody has any confidence in Stanley, so they look for Roo.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Nobody has any confidence in Stanley, so they look for Roo.
Siposs should be playing deep IMO instead of Stanley. He's not that tall, but at least he's showed some signs of being a forward and a footballer.

With Stanley they should do what they used to do with second-string ruckmen. When they are not in the ruck they are either on the bench or resting in the forward pocket.

But a full forward he is not and never will be.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 01 Jun 2014 8:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Easy fix, unpopular fix, scary fix for all the unknowns and for all the qualities he brings to the whole football club..... Roo retires at the end of this year
Can't we just play him on a wing or chb and give Lee and Siposs a chance to develop quicker. It's not as if it is going to cost us a place in the finals.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Scollop wrote: Easy fix, unpopular fix, scary fix for all the unknowns and for all the qualities he brings to the whole football club..... Roo retires at the end of this year
Can't we just play him on a wing or chb and give Lee and Siposs a chance to develop quicker. It's not as if it is going to cost us a place in the finals.

Cant we just play our best player where he would currently be if the AA side was actually picked now.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cant we just play our best player where he would currently be if the AA side was actually picked now.
Yes because the whole club's existence revolves around Roo maybe getting in the AA extended squad before it gets cut down so he gets at least 3 days of pleasure at some time in October before he actually misses making the team anyway.

Is that in the Club's Priority statement?

"This club exists for the purpose of getting Nick Riewoldt into an AA extended Squad and for any other personal award he might achieve or vaguely be in the running for."

You are probably right about where he plays - but whether or not he makes AA or is a crap argument when we are talking about what is best for the team.

Say "I think Nick should stay where he is because its best for the team".

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Yes because the whole club's existence revolves around Roo maybe getting in the AA extended squad before it gets cut down so he gets at least 3 days of pleasure at some time in October before he actually misses making the team anyway.

Is that in the Club's Priority statement?

"This club exists for the purpose of getting Nick Riewoldt into an AA extended Squad and for any other personal award he might achieve or vaguely be in the running for."

You are probably right about where he plays - but whether or not he makes AA or is a crap argument when we are talking about what is best for the team.

Say "I think Nick should stay where he is because its best for the team".

It isnt a crap argument and our side doesnt revolve around this con but based on you posting after 10pm any night I think you would find it hard to understand. i will try to explain in very somple terms. No player over the age of 30 will most likely ever play in out finals side before they retire. Does that mean we play them in positions that have no experience in? Never because its bettter for the younger guys to see how these great players work on the ground and then off the ground to get as good as they are. And the point of me saying what I did is just to prove how silly the idea is in the first place. You do get silly Con dont you?