Some targets ripe for the picking

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

Some targets ripe for the picking

Almost all of these players would fit our criteria of being young, highly talented and slightly disgruntled at being left out of teams that only play Brownlow medalists or no. 1 and 2 draft picks.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/b ... 6927318309

Saint wagga
Club Player

Re: Some targets ripe for the picking

Very intersting read. I note the part where an insider talks about the industries lack of patience with young players and the dissappearance of the 3-4 year apprenticeship. I'm not so sure about this. With no new expansion teams on the horizon and the draft back to normal for 2 years now, I think a stabilisation and return to normal premiership window curves coming back in...people talk about the Swans dynasty, the Cats dynasty and the Hawks as being destined to be top 4 for the next 2 decades...forget it...History is the best predictor of the future, and all these great lists will have there day, and then be back with the pack...In fact, I reckon the Hawks aren't far off having a very dicey looking list skewed to far to the old side...Look at Brisbane, the hawks after there golden era, ditto Cats...

Concessions to Suns and GWS might skew the playing field for a while longer, but i'm pretty confident teams like us and the Doggies and even the Dees can get it right...just need the right people in the right positions for long enough and some patience during tough times...Port Adelaide...I rest my case :-)

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I really hope we don't pick up Membrey. Desperate as we are for goal-kickers, he's 188cm and as far as I can tell he's purely a marking player. We've already got undersized marking forwards in TDL, Dunell and Sippo, last thing we need is another.

spot on
Club Player

I haven't seen much of jon O rourke but if he is good enough to go pick 2 and is not getting any games, surely we would be in his ear to go the pre season draft. im sure every team is thinking the same

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would be happy with any of the three GWS boys. Not interested in the Sydney pair though.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I don't know anything about him but could Cameron Delaney from North fill a hole for us much the same way his brother has ? Physically built similarly but a 3 year younger version. Has anyone seen him play and could he develop into an honest but unspectacular defender ?

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
supersaints
Club Player

Zed wrote:I don't know anything about him but could Cameron Delaney from North fill a hole for us much the same way his brother has ? Physically built similarly but a 3 year younger version. Has anyone seen him play and could he develop into an honest but unspectacular defender ?

Apparently Cameron is rated much higher than his brother by Norf, so would possibly be a good get.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

supersaints wrote:
Zed wrote:I don't know anything about him but could Cameron Delaney from North fill a hole for us much the same way his brother has ? Physically built similarly but a 3 year younger version. Has anyone seen him play and could he develop into an honest but unspectacular defender ?

Apparently Cameron is rated much higher than his brother by Norf, so would possibly be a good get.
The question is though, do we need to trade in a third tall defender? Surely with two there, the third tall spot is the position is something we have heaps of (Robbo, Simpkin, Dempster). Lets develop one from later in the draft.

If we are spending money we need to look at classy mids or ready to go highly rated key forwards.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!