are we becoming a bunch of sooks?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

are we becoming a bunch of sooks?

No not the St Kilda football club but our members and fans .....

ill admit i didnt watch last nights game due to work commitments but by golly some of the coments on Facebook , Twitter and forums has me scratching my head wondering when did we become such soft supporters ?
people claiming they are going to toss their membership , people saying "this is the worst game in decades" fans saying we are a basket case ... seriously what is wrong with you lot ? have you been soo spoilt by the previous years of success that at the first signs of hard years we start going the sook ..

at the start of the year EVERYONE knew we were in the rebuild phase so why this sudden shock by our supporters when the expected during a rebuild happens ? this year was always going to be about getting games into the next generation it was going to be a tough slog of a year with wins being especially hard to come by especially late in the year when the younger guys start to fatigue and possibly the older guys come closer to maybe hanging up the boots ... we are going to lose games to teams we used to beat we are going to cop some almighty floggings and there are going to be times when we look soooo far off the pace of the other teams that it looks like we are never going to improve...we are not the same team that played in grand finals so dont expect the same kind of results .. we went through this before guys like Roo Joey Lenny BJ Dal Fisher Bally didnt just come into the team and beguin to dominate it took time and during that time we faced very similar situations we face today .. its a bitter pill to swallow to realise that we are now a bottom four team that will be the easy beat for most teams but its all part of the process we could have topped up and sat mid road for the next 3 years yeah we would win more games but that flag we crave would be no closer to us .. its the pain now for the gain later

honestly i reckon all us supporters need to harden up a bit sure we might get flogged on field but its not the end of the world ... the media will say we are a basket case , let em they said the same in 2001 then 2004 we were talked up as unbeatable.. so stop sooking about losing and start supporting your club cheer on the fact we are seeing Dunstan Billing and Acres start out cheer the fact we are getting to see Roo Lenny and Joey run around in thier twilight years ...

the present is dull but the future is bright

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: are we becoming a bunch of sooks?

Sack the coach....

;)

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

How many premierships have we won?
It's OK to vent your spleen and if you don't like it don't read it.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:How many premierships have we won?
fine vent your spleen but understand you look like a royal bellend talking bout tearing up your membership cause we lost to a team that could very well make finals when we are clearly a bottom 4 side ... you also look like a out and out dingdong when you talk about "worst game ever" especially only 2 weeks away from the hawthorn flogging ... its about perspective...... in perspective our loss to Gold coast given the team we have and the stage we are at and the team they have and the stage they are at isnt actually that bad ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I must be a ding dong as at half time I posted it was the worst first half I had seen since the 80's. Clearly we were better than that after half time,however I still think the overall package we dished up in the first two quarters was insipid. The ease they scored with under zero pressure what so ever was alarming. The skills were abhorent,but we already know about that...but what stood out to me was the lack of effort, and the dropped heads in the forward line. From ground level it stood out like nothing else....40 minutes into a game and all the forwards had there head down sulking.

Floggings,as hard as they are to watch you don't mind if they're having a crack, the first half last night they did not, it was amateur hour

Bring back the Lockett era
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
fine vent your spleen but understand you look like a royal bellend talking bout tearing up your membership cause we lost to a team that could very well make finals when we are clearly a bottom 4 side ... you also look like a out and out dingdong when you talk about "worst game ever" especially only 2 weeks away from the hawthorn flogging ... its about perspective...... in perspective our loss to Gold coast given the team we have and the stage we are at and the team they have and the stage they are at isnt actually that bad ...
I never said any of those things, but people are entitled to their opinions. Yours is just an opinion and doesn't carry any more weight than anyone else. However when the collective thoughts are beating the same drum, maybe you should take some notice.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Well said St Trav, I can sort of understand sooky comments on Facebook and Twitter where all the kiddies hang out and like each other to-death but I have been perplexed by the comments on here from some posters that I thought were a bit older. I reckon the most interesting comment I thought was "CJ would be shot in the real world".

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:I must be a ding dong as at half time I posted it was the worst first half I had seen since the 80's. Clearly we were better than that after half time,however I still think the overall package we dished up in the first two quarters was insipid. The ease they scored with under zero pressure what so ever was alarming. The skills were abhorent,but we already know about that...but what stood out to me was the lack of effort, and the dropped heads in the forward line. From ground level it stood out like nothing else....40 minutes into a game and all the forwards had there head down sulking.
Floggings,as hard as they are to watch you don't mind if they're having a crack, the first half last night they did not, it was amateur hour
funny you say that cause as fans ... 8 games into the season many are dropping their heads and sulking ... its going to be a hard slog of a year and wins are going to be rarer than hens teeth for us while we rebuild the list the fact is our list isnt great at full strength anymore so at the moment when we are no where near full strength its pretty damn obvious we are going to be down .. we have a raft of players in our team who are either on the way out or only just on the way in .. we have players who prob arent going to make it who are getting a chance to show if they can make it so yes we will look insipid with poor skills .. but hey guess what we get a new raft of players at years end who will replace those who wont make it and we prob will at first at least play even worse but then we will get better ....
people talk about ports turn around like it was just one year ... Port were in rebuild for quiet some time before they started to get to where they are now .. realistically we are still in year one of our rebuild

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
I never said any of those things, but people are entitled to their opinions. Yours is just an opinion and doesn't carry any more weight than anyone else. However when the collective thoughts are beating the same drum, maybe you should take some notice.
a group of bell ends agreeing on a wrong opinion doesnt make it right ... fact is that was not even close to our worst game ever even if a 1000 peole agree

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Easy to forget that half of our fans are probably under 35…

In which case you haven't had to develop the thick skin that the older ones have.

Anyone who has only been following for 10 years would be in genuine shock right now.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
a group of bell ends agreeing on a wrong opinion doesnt make it right ... fact is that was not even close to our worst game ever even if a 1000 peole agree
ok what about 10,000?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Easy to forget that half of our fans are probably under 35…

In which case you haven't had to develop the thick skin that the older ones have.

Anyone who has only been following for 10 years would be in genuine shock right now.
Absolutely! They should think themselves lucky that their football club is teaching them one of life's valuable lessons.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

being a loser?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
magnifisaint wrote: I never said any of those things, but people are entitled to their opinions. Yours is just an opinion and doesn't carry any more weight than anyone else. However when the collective thoughts are beating the same drum, maybe you should take some notice.
ok what about 10,000?
even if a million people agree it is incorrect there is no way that a 30+ point loss is worse than a 178 point loss we had in 1979 or the 145point loss two weeks ago or the 122point loss in 2002

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
magnifisaint wrote: I never said any of those things, but people are entitled to their opinions. Yours is just an opinion and doesn't carry any more weight than anyone else. However when the collective thoughts are beating the same drum, maybe you should take some notice.
ok what about 10,000?
even if a million people agree it is incorrect there is no way that a 30+ point loss is worse than a 178 point loss we had in 1979 or the 145point loss two weeks ago or the 122point loss in 2002
Have a go at watching the first half first. How can you have an opinion on a game you haven't seen?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

In relation to thread title...................................society in general.

saint4life
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
ok what about 10,000?
Have a go at watching the first half first. How can you have an opinion on a game you haven't seen?
point taken i didnt watch the game but i did see the stats of the game in the first qtr we kicked 3goals 2 ... in our 178 point loss we didnt kick that for the game ..

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

You're spot on Trav.

Whether there's 10,000 knuckleheads or just 1, their carry on is ridiculous.

Strap yourself in for a few hard years & enjoy the glimpses of brilliance from the kids & the occasional win against the odds.

Getting stressed over footy at present is a ticket to an early grave.

Everyone may be entitled to their opinion but we're equally entitled to dismiss it as drivel.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
jonesy wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
ok what about 10,000?
point taken i didnt watch the game but i did see the stats of the game in the first qtr we kicked 3goals 2 ... in our 178 point loss we didnt kick that for the game ..
But that was 1979.... I said since the 80's, and only our first half,to narrow it down.

I have no argument with you on the rebuild thing, we are going to cop plenty of hidings with this list,plenty, but at least let's be professional about the way we go about copping them. To there credit they had a dip in the second half,also helped that the Suns came out and strolled around, as if we had of played like we did the first half they still would of outscored us by 5-6 goals

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who thinks we ought to finish above 3rd or 4th last with our current list profile has absolutely no idea about footy.

Also anyone who thinks who losing to the GC is a disgrace has absolutely no idea about footy.

Lets just just enjoy the glimpses and watching the kids develop.
Admire champs like Len-dog.
Enjoy the small queues for food and beer when u go to games.

SMS
Club Player

Have you ever anticipated something? Isnt that half the fun? You barrack for team that keeps you on the brink of orgasm your entire life ... When we do win it will be gloruous. It will be a 100% real flag. A real underdog win. Not a money politiacal win like pies, hawks etc. Take pride in being a saint!! We have had more greater players than most teams .. our story is so unique and bewildering it really blows your mind how unlucky we have been. 1 from 7 is just terrible luck. Dont shy away embrace it... we will get there we have the greatest jumper, colours and we are ABLE TO KEEP ON ANTICIPATING AND DREAMING!! For anyone born 1980+ count yourselfs lucky you dont barrack for tigers, demons, freo and dogs. Carlton won in 1995 but they cheated. Apart from that theyve been bottom for a good 10 years.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i think the issue is a lot of people still see GC as that bottom 4 team ... they are far from it ... i reckon they will be playing their first final this year with a possibility of it being at home ...

at the moment there are 6 tiers of teams in the comp .

teams who are playing exceptional footy where their best will beat anyone and thier avereage will beat most
PORT
HAW
SYD
GEEL
FRE

Teams who at their best will win most but at there worst are falling well short
GCFC
NMFC
COLL

team who are flat track bullies will beat up on the bottom teams but arefound out by the real competitors
WCE
ADEL

under performing
ESS
CARL
RICH

on the rise slowly
WB
MELB

rebuild/build
STK
GWS
BL

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:No not the St Kilda football club but our members and fans .....

ill admit i didnt watch last nights game due to work commitments but by golly some of the coments on Facebook , Twitter and forums has me scratching my head wondering when did we become such soft supporters ?
people claiming they are going to toss their membership , people saying "this is the worst game in decades" fans saying we are a basket case ... seriously what is wrong with you lot ? have you been soo spoilt by the previous years of success that at the first signs of hard years we start going the sook ..

at the start of the year EVERYONE knew we were in the rebuild phase so why this sudden shock by our supporters when the expected during a rebuild happens ? this year was always going to be about getting games into the next generation it was going to be a tough slog of a year with wins being especially hard to come by especially late in the year when the younger guys start to fatigue and possibly the older guys come closer to maybe hanging up the boots ... we are going to lose games to teams we used to beat we are going to cop some almighty floggings and there are going to be times when we look soooo far off the pace of the other teams that it looks like we are never going to improve...we are not the same team that played in grand finals so dont expect the same kind of results .. we went through this before guys like Roo Joey Lenny BJ Dal Fisher Bally didnt just come into the team and beguin to dominate it took time and during that time we faced very similar situations we face today .. its a bitter pill to swallow to realise that we are now a bottom four team that will be the easy beat for most teams but its all part of the process we could have topped up and sat mid road for the next 3 years yeah we would win more games but that flag we crave would be no closer to us .. its the pain now for the gain later

honestly i reckon all us supporters need to harden up a bit sure we might get flogged on field but its not the end of the world ... the media will say we are a basket case , let em they said the same in 2001 then 2004 we were talked up as unbeatable.. so stop sooking about losing and start supporting your club cheer on the fact we are seeing Dunstan Billing and Acres start out cheer the fact we are getting to see Roo Lenny and Joey run around in thier twilight years ...

the present is dull but the future is bright
Pelchen warned us before the start of the season we'd be shite and he's correct. John Ralph can't see us winning a flag in the next decade, i can't see us winning one in my lifetime, i'll be there for the Collingwood game regardless.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
jamesmc
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:Well said St Trav, I can sort of understand sooky comments on Facebook and Twitter where all the kiddies hang out and like each other to-death but I have been perplexed by the comments on here from some posters that I thought were a bit older. I reckon the most interesting comment I thought was "CJ would be shot in the real world".
Again with the the kiddies jibe.
How effing old are you Cairnsman
Have you gone up to the top end to retire?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

yep, up for the rebuild. It's just that it's hard sometimes when I see guys like Ball leading Collingwood out, Goddard winning a B+F, Dal doing well at Norf, Goose Maguire becoming the clubman at Brisbane that he should have been for us, and Lynch doing a good job kicking goals at the Crows. You can add Guerra to that list too. You could also argue that a player like Cripps, with his goalkicking ability would be handy for us right now. You put those 7 players in our side and see how we roll. I know it's short term pain for long term gain, but it does annoy me a little bit when we recruit guys like Dennis-Lane and Lee, who are not up to AFL standard, and all those other guys are

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.