How I saw them

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintlester
Club Player

How I saw them

As an Adelaide Saints supporter this was my take on tonight's players, obviously can't see as well on TV as live but going to have a crack:

No 2: Loved that in the second half he finally appeared to find the work rate for this level. And when he found it he suddenly discovered skills. Could have had 3 goals, hit up really well. Show him that second half and hammer that this is what it takes and he can do it. So no excuses any more.

No 3: Still doesn't look 100% fit but really worked his butt off. Best game since coming back. Must play every week unless the injury is so bad that he can't run as looks like he thrives on the work.

No 4: Hard call but as much as he is whole hearted and full on he offers nothing any more. Panics with ball in hand. If he is going to play it is only for the strong, mature body to save the young guys. Maybe his last Year?

No 7: Usual gut busting game. Still an A Minus midfielder where he used to be A Plus. Sad he is our best Mid at 34. Lost half a yard but boy what a heart. Still the spiritual leader of this team.

No 11: Not saying much. Poor game tonight but has plenty of ticks before that.

No 12: Some of the delivery to the opposition forwards must break his heart as he watches it. Even on TV you can see his work rate but is let down by poor delivery. Body language at least remained pretty positive tonight.

No 13: For a guy who is there to kick goals misses too many simple set shots. What Adam did tonight is about what he normally brings except on exceptional days. Field kicking is good but seemed to be caught in possession a few times tonight.

No 15: Did enough for a player in Game 5 or 6. appears to have real footy smarts. Still missed a goal he should have kicked.

No 16: One of the best games I've seen him play for the club. I think he may be a bit of a slow burner and may just get better and better. Not necessarily going to be an A-Grader but a solid regular contributor.

No 18: For a 14 game ruckman this guy has some ability. Loved some of his ruckwork. Just needs to start clunking around the ground. Reckon 2 more pre seasons and he'll look like some of the Gold Coast bigs looked tonight(read Sam Day who is a monstrous beast). With his ruck nous he'll then be a dangerous player.

No 21: Worst game for the year. But have been really happy with him so far. Tonight hopefully just chalked up as a bad one. Subbed out injury maybe?

No 22: Usual solid Farren game. Does most things pretty well. Still burned it a few times but he's been really solid this year. He should be about No5 midfielder instead of probably No3.

No 24: Love his marking and reading of the intercept ball. Unfortunately makes bad decisions and his kicking is very average. Still our defence would be lost without him.

No 26: He started the season really well but appears to have fallen away a bit. Still I really like his application and attitude. Probably another who will be a solid contributor without being a star. Tonight just average.

No 27: Really has a go and did again tonight. Looked reasonable without being great and GC have some serious tall talent so he was tested. Think he'll be OK.

No 28: Don't want to have a go but was disappointing tonight. Too easily outmuscled for a guy who now has nearly 50 games and 5 years on the list. Appears happy to run second and the jump in for the tackle after the opposition has won the ball. Would love him to make it but don't think he will.

No 29: What I liked about his game is that he concentrated really well. Even if he was led to the footy he kept at it and won some balls when he looked out of the contest. Probably his best game in 3 weeks. One of the few in our side whose kicking skills are elite.

No 32: Terry provided the game you would expect. A few highlights, not quite enough substance. Really good VFL player and would probably be a good AFL player in a top side. Not sure he is what we need in the long term.

No 36: Worst game he's played but he's a kid who has been expected to carry the can in the midfield. Forget tonight.

No 39: I had seen him before he went to Melbourne. Has always had oodles of talent. I think he looked really good tonight. Composed, solid used it really well. Would have been in our top 4 tonight and hope he gets a run at consolidating. If it came to a choice of him or Gwilt, I know where I'd be going.

No 40: Can't judge anything tonight. Sub and injured when he came on. Hope it's not serious.

No 44: Loved his second half head to head with GA. I thought his game all night was pretty good. Maybe Gaz was tired after half time but Mav really put it to the best player in the comp. Another who needs a good run of games to prove himself.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: How I saw them

Good review.

Thought you were a bit harsh on Milera and I wasn't so impressed with Longer tonight.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Agree with Kosi, Longer had good ruck work but no marks. Terry livened them up IMHO. Roo tried hard, but his kicking inside 50 was pretty poor as well which may explain his body language ;)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the Saintlester. Appreciate your review.
Sensible, fair and balanced.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I've got high hopes for Longer. He was very good in the ruck and created a few clean clearances. But taking zero marks as a 2metre beast is very ordinary.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Agree with Kosi, Longer had good ruck work but no marks. Terry livened them up IMHO. Roo tried hard, but his kicking inside 50 was pretty poor as well which may explain his body language ;)

Livened them up?

I doubt it. He looked zippy a few times in 120 minutes, that's it. He needs to do much more...especially when he hasn't got the ball in his hands which would be about 119 minutes and 50 seconds.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
SainterK wrote:Agree with Kosi, Longer had good ruck work but no marks. Terry livened them up IMHO. Roo tried hard, but his kicking inside 50 was pretty poor as well which may explain his body language ;)

Livened them up?

I doubt it. He looked zippy a few times in 120 minutes, that's it. He needs to do much more...especially when he hasn't got the ball in his hands which would be about 119 minutes and 50 seconds.
Had it 18 times, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 5 inside 50's, 2 goals

Pretty good IMHO.

luc1966
Club Player

U serious with Delaney I thought he was good what did Dixon do?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

luc1966 wrote:U serious with Delaney I thought he was good what did Dixon do?
Why was Delaney subbed ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Livened them up?

Pretty good IMHO.
Those stats prove he was anything but pretty good and prove that he has a lot of work to do.

He did a few flashy things in the second half but was non existent in the first.

One of those goals was gifted BTW.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
Why was Delaney subbed ?
Twisted hip...

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:
Why was Delaney subbed ?
Twisted hip...
Thanks K

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
luc1966
Club Player

P

Saintlester
Club Player

The more I think about Delaney the more I think I was a bit harsh on him. But I did see him lose a couple of one on ones tonight and just not used to that. Happy to concede on that one.

saintjake
Club Player

We missed Gwilt out there.

Looks like GAJ had a field day, Gwilt would've of shut him down completely :D

spert
Saintsational Legend

Top game from Newnes, and as far as I'm concerned he should start in the middle- elite kicking skills and along with Billings, looks a class above most of the team.

Pros: Newnes, Billings, Shenton, Milera, Longer

Neutral: Bruce, Delany, Jones, Roo, Steven, Lenny, Weller, Ray.

Cons: Stanley, Montagna, Schneider, Dunstan, Curren. Team defensive play. Team discipline. Midfield in general, mainly first half,

Undecided: Webster, Siposs

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:We missed Gwilt out there.

Looks like GAJ had a field day, Gwilt would've of shut him down completely :D
Give me a break. Gwilt makes watching paint dry enjoyable.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Great post, thanks mate.

One quibble with Webster - I reckon he conceded four or five goals to Matera et al. Needs to be stronger defensively for mine.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Livened them up?

Pretty good IMHO.
Those stats prove he was anything but pretty good and prove that he has a lot of work to do.

He did a few flashy things in the second half but was non existent in the first.

Very harsh imo. Did better than expected.

Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Livened them up?

Pretty good IMHO.

Very harsh imo. Did better than expected.

I was at the game and Milera was fantastic. Blitzed it getting to the most dangerous spots. Tapped the ball from a GC kick in to get Siposs his 7 point play -lots of 1% tonight. Poor Rhys was like everything went wrong even when he did the right things. Sometimes things just don't fall your way. He never stopped presenting and kept at it and earned his keep with out being on top of his game. Lenny was incredible with his clearance work and was just vintage Lenny. Even Dunstan was better than his stats show. Shents went really well.

Steven was incredible as he was noticeably suffering getting back to the bench and looked like he was nearly hopping.

Jones, Joey and a couple of others were quiet. Weller was pretty average until he went to Gazza.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:Great post, thanks mate.

One quibble with Webster - I reckon he conceded four or five goals to Matera et al. Needs to be stronger defensively for mine.

He needs one of the old boys along side him. He looks more pressured ATM and gave away some frees too. He really talented just not a great few weeks from a young player lumped with a lot of responsibility.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

He needs one of the old boys along side him. He looks more pressured ATM and gave away some frees too. He really talented just not a great few weeks from a young player lumped with a lot of responsibility.
I would like to see Webster tried in the midfield. He's a big body (looks like he's grown and is 190+), strong in the contest and has very good acceleration. All the attributes to be a modern midfielder.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
gringo wrote:

I would like to see Webster tried in the midfield. He's a big body (looks like he's grown and is 190+), strong in the contest and has very good acceleration. All the attributes to be a modern midfielder.

We seem to have a backmans curse With Delaney and Acres adding to Gwilt, Fisher, Gilbert, Wright and Gears. If I was Webster, Dempster, Bruce or Newnes I would lock myself in a room with a crash helmet on. Simpkin might get a call up very soon I think.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Still happy with the effort from all. General thoughts:
Blake Acres - damn
Jack Billings – solid and got confidence, knows how to win contests
Josh Bruce – will hopefully get better, I’m yet to see anything solid
Tom Curren – I’d like him not to be a tagger, just a mid like last year
Luke Delaney – solid, saw him beaten for the first time one on one in the goalsquare but it had to happen some time, he’s a great addition
Sean Dempster – gun, one miss kick but he sprinted 100+ metres before that
Luke Dunstan – will keep getting better and be a good leader
Lenny Hayes – goliath, lost a bit of speed but makes his own time
Clinton Jones – been a fan and tries his guts out but this might be his last year
Billy Longer – will keep getting better, good tap work, next step is taking some grabs around the ground
Terry Milera – just let him loose in the forward half to do damage
Leigh Montagna – had a few iffy games this year by his standards
Jack Newnes – best game, he and Gears will be really tough smalls going forward
Farren Ray - ok
Nick Riewoldt – good but can do a few dummy leads to get out of the way for others, but we keep kicking it to him!
Adam Schneider – smart, reads the plays and sets up others
Cameron Shenton – very happy with his input, makes the right decisions and executes very well, will get better at this level
Arryn Siposs – like Terry will get max output in the forward half. He should be the forward most player with guys like Tez and Rhys running past
Rhys Stanley – everyone still trying to work out how best to use him, it seems once we miss him on the lead he’s out of the contest, but still an untapped talent
Jack Steven – working his way back to form
Jimmy Webster – been a bit sloppy the last few weeks with frees against and kicking, a little more focus and be a step ahead of the play
Maverick Weller – good second half when he went to Gazza. I’d like to see him start in the middle

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"