Time to tank!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Time to tank!

Oh, hang on.

Seriously, we need four or five years worth of high draft picks. It is no longer possible to do it in two or three like in 2001/2, because not only are there no longer priority picks, but now with 18 teams, by the time the second round comes around, you are very much relying on inside knowledge or luck.

In the meantime, the AFL should send all us diehard Saints fans to the Virgin Islands for four years, preferably to a location where there is no radio or TV or outside communication.
Last edited by perfectionist on Mon 19 May 2014 9:27am, edited 1 time in total.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Re: Time to tank!

That got Carlton a long way didn't it?

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

No need to tank
We will lose the natural way with 100% effort.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:No need to tank
exactly

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:No need to tank
exactly

ace
Saintsational Legend

We finally forced Melbourne ahead of us on the ladder.
It shouldn't be too hard for Richmond to overtake us.
GWS should win another game but it may be hard to get Brisbane to win another 3 games.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Griggsy
SS Life Member

ace wrote:We finally forced Melbourne ahead of us on the ladder.
GWS should win another game but it may be hard to get Brisbane to win another 3 games.
Well aslong as they don't take he best forward it doesn't matter. Even GWS surely won't touch another forward with their big 3.

After the 1st pick hopefully we can bag another 1st rounder through trade, read the draft was really deep this year.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Our list is shot. To be serious flag contenders at some point in the future we need to add:
> 3 Tall forwards as once Roo retires we wont have a single tall option. Stanley is a good backup ruckman, pinch hitting 3rd tall - but not a key target.
> 2 Tall defenders to replace Gwilt & Fisher and provide injury coverage
> 3 Elite Midfielders - quality ball users required

If we get 2 picks inside 20 its going to take 8 picks (4 years) to add the talent we need and that assumes that the best available talent at our picks actually meets our needs. This club will be lucky to survive that long if you look at tonight's crowd. I think 'the road to 2018' marketing push was an optimistic attempt to get the supporters to hang in there for another a couple of years but I don't think we have actually bottomed out yet. That's still another 12-18 months away.

When you look at it like that it almost guarantees that at some point in time in the next 3 drafts, Pelchen will roll the dice and swap out our first picks for a slightly later pick and player - similar to the Tyson deal at Melbourne. Its the only way we can fast track a rebuild.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yes the crowds vs the rebuild over the next few years could be scary
That said , great times to go games...... heaps of seats, no queues for a beer/pie, half time u can go have a punt knowing that 10 goal deficit will still be waiting for you when you get back (unless Hawks game where there's an uglier one waiting for you)

Hang in there I say - I don't expect to be going to finals as a serious contender till my son can drive me to games - he's going to be born next year so patience needed.

“Yeah….nah””
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Yes the crowds vs the rebuild over the next few years could be scary
That said , great times to go games...... heaps of seats, no queues for a beer/pie, half time u can go have a punt knowing that 10 goal deficit will still be waiting for you when you get back (unless Hawks game where there's an uglier one waiting for you)

Hang in there I say - I don't expect to be going to finals as a serious contender till my son can drive me to games - he's going to be born next year so patience needed.
Congrats Teflon. For some reason I pictured you to be much older. Anyway hopefully we make finals before 2030 :shock:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Yes the crowds vs the rebuild over the next few years could be scary

Great attitude Teffers.
Man I love it when you can just get a Hot Dog and a Pie in a few seconds :D

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Great attitude Teffers.
Man I love it when you can just get a Hot Dog and a Pie in a few seconds :D
Yep awesome attitude and a really good way to look at our games over the next few years.

I remember Saturday afternoons at Moorabbin, great times, great people, the scorelines were easily brushed aside and the love for the club never wavered.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Griggsy wrote:
Well aslong as they don't take he best forward it doesn't matter. Even GWS surely won't touch another forward with their big 3.

After the 1st pick hopefully we can bag another 1st rounder through trade, read the draft was really deep this year.
Lol, Brisbane are almost guaranteed to get a forward!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The bottom 3 places will be a battle between us, Brisbane and the doggies for the next few years. We will avoid the GWS/GC juggernauts (thanks Scotty) hitting their prime and keep loading up on some quality particularly players with skill and speed which is where the game is at now. There is so much pressure on the guy with the ball now if you don't have great good distribution skills you will turn it over more often than not. That is our problem at the moment. WE can't keep the ball and then get murdered on the break.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
Griggsy wrote:

Lol, Brisbane are almost guaranteed to get a forward!

they have a couple of zone selections this year including a guy called Hammilmann who will be pretty good and is a big forward or swingman. They would prob still go Wright but Mc cartin sounded like he had a good day at the carnival. Goddard too. Lamb who is grandson of ian Cooper I think too had a couple of goals late. Plenty of good forwards this year.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

There's meant to be quite a few good key position players in this years draft. If we finish anywhere in the bottom four we will get one.
As for our next finals appearance, we waited 18 after 1973 to make the finals. Hopefully it won't take that long this time around.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

we have no confidence
if we try to tank , we would probably look better .

In red white and black from 73
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

You mean we aren't tanking?

Awkward :)