Changes for Gold Coast

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes for Gold Coast

bergholt wrote:
spert wrote:Sorry, but I recon a telegraph pole would be as effective as Stanley in the forward line right now.
He wasn't great last night, but up until that point he'd had some reasonably productive performances. Definitely worth persisting with him for mine - it's not as if there are a bunch of other forward/ruck options raring to go.
A real pity we have no other genuine tall forwards waiting in the wings. I regard Lee, Stanley, Siposs and Maister as VFL quality only, so the cupboard is bare. Shocking recruiting over the past few seasons. Can't think of any solutions, maybe wildcard Simpkin as a smaller FF...

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
bergholt wrote:
spert wrote:Sorry, but I recon a telegraph pole would be as effective as Stanley in the forward line right now.
He wasn't great last night, but up until that point he'd had some reasonably productive performances. Definitely worth persisting with him for mine - it's not as if there are a bunch of other forward/ruck options raring to go.
A real pity we have no other genuine tall forwards waiting in the wings. I regard Lee, Stanley, Siposs and Maister as VFL quality only, so the cupboard is bare. Shocking recruiting over the past few seasons. Can't think of any solutions, maybe wildcard Simpkin as a smaller FF...
We need a monster type to strengthen the structure up. We really miss a Kosi type.

in for the long haul
Club Player

I would like to see Dunnel get a run this week and for a few games after that. He was the only shining light for sandringham on the weekend. IMO he should be preferred to Schneider.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Give Siposs a run as genuine full forward with instructions to lead like a proper full forward. Play Stanley as second ruck.

It's true that no-one would kick it to Stanley last night, but perhaps that is an indication of a lack of confidence in him.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Cairnsman wrote:
spert wrote:
bergholt wrote:
We need a monster type to strengthen the structure up. We really miss a Kosi type.
Are you suggesting Maister?

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

in for the long haul wrote:I would like to see Dunnel get a run this week and for a few games after that. He was the only shining light for sandringham on the weekend. IMO he should be preferred to Schneider.
I agree that he was the only one who put his hand up in the VFL on the weekend. Not sure that he'd replace Schneider though. We're really reduced to sticking with the same team or shuffling deckchairs. I couldn't see anyone who played for Sandy making us a better side unfortunately.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Give Siposs a run as genuine full forward with instructions to lead like a proper full forward. Play Stanley as second ruck.

It's true that no-one would kick it to Stanley last night, but perhaps that is an indication of a lack of confidence in him.
There isn't really a genuine full forward role anymore BC, the game just doesn't allow space for a big guy to lead out of the goal square and take marks…

Siposs would have been a lot better back when you could do this.

luc1966
Club Player

If we want a pack cruncher lets give simpkin a go to just c ball get ball

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

I can't believe people are saying drop Jones (again). I suggest you watch the first quarter of last night again. He was clearly our best player (in the first quarter) and ran himself into the ground to help the team.
Last edited by terry smith rules on Tue 13 May 2014 10:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
coopergrech
Club Player

I don't understand how people are saying drop Jones. Jonesy has been really good this year , he has done better than half the team and some people want to drop him? Might aswell drop the other half aswell while your at it.

My Thoughts

In : Dunnel & Saunders
Out : Acres & Gwilt

lloyd21
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote: Spenc-aarrhhhhh! I'd be looking at a rest from all playing, and just hit the gym and the track for around six weeks. Hopefully a few AFL games mid-late 2015, then looking for some significant steps in 2016. By the 2018 flag year he'll be a very significant contributor. 8-) Patience is the key with him I reckon.
just a question on Spencer ... he was drafted in 2012 so basically spent 2013 in development now we are talking about him spending 2014 in development and most of 2015 in development ... realistically how many players in the history of the game have "made it" after spending almost 3 years on the list without being picked for a senior game ? i mean i get he is a development player and time has to be taken to get development players ready but you would like to think Spencer if he was going to make it would be pushing for a game before mid to late 2015

Matt Suckling 8-) Hawthorn

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Give Siposs a run as genuine full forward with instructions to lead like a proper full forward. Play Stanley as second ruck.

There isn't really a genuine full forward role anymore BC, the game just doesn't allow space for a big guy to lead out of the goal square and take marks…

Siposs would have been a lot better back when you could do this.
Well we've got to do something about continually going to Riewoldt. We went to him nine times in the first quarter on Monday for one goal. I suggest we allow Siposs to get into dangerous positions - meaning closer to goal - where Stanley played on Monday night.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Like to see Shenton play a few games to see if he can make it

Watched Sandy game tv IMO Dunnell was easily our best

INS Dunnell,Milera

Didn't see Carlton game so outs leave to the experts on here

lloyd21
Club Player

coopergrech wrote:I don't understand how people are saying drop Jones. Jonesy has been really good this year , he has done better than half the team and some people want to drop him? Might aswell drop the other half aswell while your at it.

My Thoughts

In : Dunnel & Saunders
Out : Acres & Gwilt
:roll: really you think Jones played well or he just got the ball a bit !

Turnover half forward after completely running around in a circle kicked the ball straight up in the air !
Result goal to Carlton
Stood wrong side of the stoppage not once but twice after being told the 1st time by Montagna and the 2nd time before it happened .....Yarran 2 goals .
He played a great game against Melbourne all credit to him .
They already have Curren and the bloke who can do that job is Farren Ray.
Would be amazed if they drop Acres as for Stkilda I know the bloke I would rest after this week for a month
8-) Riewoldt on 1 leg knee stuffed .

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Don't drop Shenton or Siposs.

Acres, perhaps the sub?

Out Bruce in Lee

Lee to CHF and Roo to CHB

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

In
Dunnell, Milera
Out
Gwilt, Acres

footynut
Club Player

Simkins was throw forward in the last quarter, and apparently clunked everything, split open packs and generally exerted that physical pressure we all know he can. I think he could be a great inclusion next week in the forward line.

Although I'm not a huge fan of Dunell he also needs to come in to play half forward link player. This may give us extra avenues to goal & take some pressure off Roo.

I would also ensure Mav plays a full game

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Siposs made some good leads and was ignored on a few occasions when he was in a good position.

Id have no issue giving Simpkin a go fwd. At very worst he will block for Roo. Also allow Rhys to venture up the field. Rhys hates being close to goal. Has no idea down there as a permanent fwd.

In: Simpkin, Milera, Roberton
Out: Jones Gwilt Steven (Injured)

On Notice: Webster, Newnes
Webster almost my favourite player and I rate Newnes highly - but I wont be bias and fair is fair. Both have fallen off a bit and need to get their mojo back.

p.s Full game for Weller this week. Will have a point to prove.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 14 May 2014 2:03am, edited 3 times in total.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

What's the deal with Lee? Didn't we trade a 1st round pick for him?

Does anything think he has the potential to become a good forward for us?

Bad management is bad management
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:What's the deal with Lee? Didn't we trade a 1st round pick for him?

Does anything think he has the potential to become a good forward for us?
Dont mention the draft pick as it usually brings about heated debate :D :D

I think it was a draft swap - so I think we gave up pick 12 for Lee + Nate Wright + Josh Saunders - but it was even more complicated than that because Cripps and other draft picks were involved...

Anyway...

IMHO Tom is a very good player but doesn't have the body for AFL footy. Needs to really pull his finger out and work on his running fitness and his strength/size in the Gym.
He definitely has the talent to make it - but seems to lack the work ethic in the gym and is running out of time. Persistent shoulder injuries haven't helped his cause either. Next year will be his last chance at it I reckon.
Just my opinion.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Don't drop Shenton or Siposs.

Acres, perhaps the sub?

Out Bruce in Lee

++++100
This is what I been saying for ages. Put Roo back and bring in Lee if ready and make the mids and hff kick to a lead and not be looking for Roo all the time.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Pwoit wrote:

Acres, perhaps the sub?

Out Bruce in Lee

++++100
This is what I been saying for ages. Put Roo back and bring in Lee if ready and make the mids and hff kick to a lead and not be looking for Roo all the time.
Sounds good to me too. I would bring Roberton in for Acres or Webster- we looked like we needed some mature heads down back.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

gringo wrote:
Pwoit wrote:

Acres, perhaps the sub?

Out Bruce in Lee

++++100
Sounds good to me too. I would bring Roberton in for Acres or Webster- we looked like we needed some mature heads down back.
Please, please do-not-drop Acres either!

His body may not be fully built up, but it's easily big enough already to compete... just look at his tackling. Sure, he made several bloopers, but if we just look a bit beyond that and at the things that he was trying to do...

Just give him a run of games and it will all start coming together. You could call playing Blake an 'investment'. 8-)

I'm also unsure why people want to drop Bruce(?) He is one of our key backs going forward (like that turn of phrase? :lol: ), has a mature enough body to cope, so we also need to get games into him.

I don't think Tommy Lee is ready yet post the shoulder(s) surgery... I'd even look at getting him to join Spencer in the gym for a 6/52 sabbatical.

Roberton looked better late in the Sandy game when he started taking it on, but I'm still not sure if his ankle is right(?) If not, I'd be resting him too. So that could be three in the gym.

I like the thoughts expressed re Rhys not liking things close to goal. So, make life easier for Roo and play him largely at full forward, with Rhys at centre half forward and with the instruction to just keep on presenting. He could also do the forward line rucking.

Similar with Sippa'. Like Rhys, Sippa' to keep on presenting no matter what the outcome...

(I really believe that Rhys and Sippa' need to be literally 'dragged into the play kicking and screaming' to give them the message that they can do it!)

That'll give us multiple marking forward options, and ease the load on Roo... who can still be thrown back out to CHF for parts of the game... nothing like a bit of a forward line merry-go-round to keep the opposition defence on their toes... :lol:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Time to start slowly resting some of the younger guys. Richo's catch phrase has been 'we'd rather them burn out than rust out', but I'd rather neither happen. Webster looks buggered, Dunstan was hobbling all game and clearly isn't going at more than 80%. If I were picking the team:

B: Simpkin, Delaney, Shenton
HB: Roberton, Bruce, Dempster
C: Montagna, Hayes, Ray
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, Saunders
F: Billings, Stanley, Siposs

Foll: Longer, Steven, Weller
Int: Curren, Ross, Newnes
Sub: Acres

Out: Jones, Gwilt, Dunstan, Webster
In: Saunders, Simpkin, Ross, Roberton

jamesmc
Club Player

jonesy wrote:Would of thought Milera was a certainty this week.
Sad we have to put any hope in Terry Milera.

What has it all come to.