Observations

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

Observations

1. Many of us, myself included, got carried away after the first few games of the year. We beat two outright bottom 4 sides and Essendon and played above expectation against West Coast. In hindsight, Essendon aren't as good as many expected, so we probably overrated that win. West Coast too aren't as good as expected, so also overrated. We have a long way to go, but we're on track.

2. As I mentioned in another thread, we need to find another option to goal aside from Roo. Nothing new, nothing new at all. In fact, even in our Grand Final years it was of serious concern that we were able to paper over. This is no criticism of Roo himself, you absolutely expect him to demand the ball when on the lead and to present. But that does not automatically mean he must be kicked to.

3. Longer should some quality tap work and leap but was generally outmuscled and out positioned. Didn't provide a target at all during play. He did, however, work hard in the stoppages after contesting in the ruck and probably got a few clearances, without looking at stats. Early days, and I think Hickey's injury is a really good thing in terms of getting Billy an extended run of games. He will simply improve at a far quicker rate playing AFL than VFL.

4. Acres looked a little flustered when he got the ball, and had some clangers, but he just needs to settle into the pace of the game. His strong tackling was an aspect I wasn't aware of and it's a major plus. Maybe a little unfair to be subbed off.

5. Dunstan and Billings are easily in the top 10 players on our list and will only get better. They are the future.

6. Delaney was possibly the biggest positive out of the game. He rarely, if ever, gets beaten one on one. He has impressive closing speed. He looks calm with the ball. Far exceeded my expectations to date.

7. Stanley and Siposs were relatively poor, but I think most of that is directly related to point 2. Stanley in particular looked more like his 2012 self, and I hope it was an anomaly.

8. Weller looked good in his short time on the ground. Good disposal, decent awareness. Should play a full game next week.

9. Lenny is still a first rate player.

10. I hope Jack finds his 2013 form ASAP.

FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Observations

Forgot to mention that I think Shenton looked alright, albeit perhaps a little less fit than most. Deserves another game.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Essendon were up and about until they hit us..averaging 16 goals then we beat them and dropped to 9. I think we shattered their confidence.

Weller should have got a kick on goal tonight...pushed over directly in his back in front of an umpire and didn't get a whistle. He needs a little bit of a confidence break through and he will soar. Looks like he needs to relax.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Great write up FQF. Agree with you on all ten points. I thought Acres looked a bit shell shocked form the crazy intense pressure from Hawks last week. After a quarter of panicking with the ball, he realised he wasn't going to get smashed within a millisecond of getting the ball and his game began to flow nicely. He's got some size on him already. He looks like he can read the play well - almost pulled off a couple of big intercepts. I really see him being a half back sweeper down the track.

I would chuck in Point 11 - Tonight was all about getting some respect back and I'd say - mission accomplished. Need to follow up next week with a really competitive effort again.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Disposal

50% effectiveness when we controlled the game... Compared to 78% by Carlton

FQF
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Disposal

50% effectiveness when we controlled the game... Compared to 78% by Carlton
It is hard to tell how much of that is engrained and how much was just a sloppy night — one that we all expected after a real beat up last week.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Observations

Carlton cheer squad lacks class.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

tonight hurt me... dawks at the G is one thing but what we dished up tonight was not good...

Fortius Quo Fidelius
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Observations

i really hope the scum dont think they did well tonight they're rubbish as well. i mean in a lot of way just as bad as us.

i was one of the many that was way overconfident due to our start... we have so much work to do in so many areas... i was think tonight... we play Port after the week off. fraaak

Fortius Quo Fidelius
MrCordz
Club Player

Acres looked buggered very early on - not fit enough for AFL yet - will be dropped next week.

Humbly St. Kilda
MrCordz
Club Player

FQF wrote:Forgot to mention that I think Shenton looked alright, albeit perhaps a little less fit than most. Deserves another game.
+1

Humbly St. Kilda
MrCordz
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Observations

Ya think???

Humbly St. Kilda
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Listened to most of the game on the radio so can only go by the commentary - it was Triple M with Barry Denner, Schwass, Brown, etc and wasn't too bad. They kept geeing up the Saints saying they were still in it in the last qtr which they were.

Schneids seemed to be in the play a bit. Delaney was mentioned too. The third qtr we were pounding the goals but only came away with 2.7. Two more in that qtr and I reckon we might've gained the momentum needed to run over the Scum in the last.

Disappointing to keep hearing Squibbs racking up kicks - I guess he was playing loose on HB. Mav should've come on and ran thru the skirt.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:Listened to most of the game on the radio so can only go by the commentary - it was Triple M with Barry Denner, Schwass, Brown, etc and wasn't too bad. They kept geeing up the Saints saying they were still in it in the last qtr which they were.

Schneids seemed to be in the play a bit. Delaney was mentioned too. The third qtr we were pounding the goals but only came away with 2.7. Two more in that qtr and I reckon we might've gained the momentum needed to run over the Scum in the last.

Disappointing to keep hearing Squibbs racking up kicks - I guess he was playing loose on HB. Mav should've come on and ran thru the skirt.

Malthouse had his players running through our kids instead. They kept getting into Newnes.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

In last night's team:

- Half have played less than 35 games. In fact more than half - 12 players.
- 10 players are 22 or younger.
- 3 players are 18 or 19 and have done just one pre-season.
- The three emergencies had played just 50 games between them.
- 4 of our 12 most experienced players were injured, including three first-choice defenders.

What happens in that situation? You get beaten badly a lot of the time. It's not fun but I don't see why it's surprising.

Kernal75
Club Player

The standard of the game was atrocious. Carlton won but they were arguably worse than us given the difference in overall quality an experience between the 2 teams. Our recruiting focus should be on players with pace who can kick the footy, not rocket science I know but it's a fact. We also desperately need more avenues to goal. We've got a long way to go but so do the Blues!

Kernal75
Club Player

The standard of the game was atrocious. Carlton won but they were arguably worse than us given the difference in overall quality an experience between the 2 teams. Our recruiting focus should be on players with pace who can kick the footy, not rocket science I know but it's a fact. We also desperately need more avenues to goal. We've got a long way to go but so do the Blues!

spert
Saintsational Legend

I thought our coaching, tactics, setups etc left a lot to be desired last night- no obvious system and the defensive work of the midfield and forwards was deplorable..read non-existant. Richo needs to do a bit more homework with the forward line and get more goals out of the midfielders and flankers, even to the point of resting Roo for a game and experimenting with a different structure. Siposs doesn't like going for the hard ball, so I would replace him with Dunnel who is a good if not better mark and contests hard. Milera will need to come in to add some kind of flair and disposal class. The young guys are impressing, and I wouldn't drop Acres, he is a class act, and I would play him in the middle.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

FQF wrote:1. Many of us, myself included, got carried away after the first few games of the year. We beat two outright bottom 4 sides and Essendon and played above expectation against West Coast. In hindsight, Essendon aren't as good as many expected, so we probably overrated that win. West Coast too aren't as good as expected, so also overrated. We have a long way to go, but we're on track.
FQF, you've made me feel better today. I agree with your whole assessment. I was definitely in your paragraph 1 camp, and I agree we are on track. It's just that the track is longer than I wanted to believe. No illusions now.

Always loyal
Pleasing
Club Player

I thought the effort last night was a big improvement on last week they had a dip even in the second quarter we were applying effort Carlton just got on a hot streak kicking 8 straight many from out near the 50. No doubt effort was 99% of the focus from the coaches during the week.

Tactically we were all over the shop Malthouse set up to stop our best two outside runners in Montagna and Steven and made sure our young guys got pummelled at every opportunity, in the past we have hunted their best players last night they hunted ours, and from there the game was pretty much played on Carltons terms. Doubt we spent too much time on opposition analysis after last week and it showed. Our ball movement was frentic and ad-hoc no patience no consistent plan and we were peeled open on the counter attack time and time again.

Lots of you have pointed out the number of youngsters playing last night and that is true enough but I think even more relevent to our structure and gameplan is the number of changes to the side we are making week after week. There is no continuity in the team we have on the park and it shows in a sense of total confusion at times. Some of this is forced by the glut of injuries some is about Richo exploring the list and some about rewarding guys for VFL form. All good reasons and maybe good for the long term but has made us a rabble right now.

On a couple of individuals:
- Acres has great hands he is a one touch player and reads the game. He made a number of glaring rookie mistakes after winning the ball superbly usually looking to give off to his more experienced teamates, will gain composure with the ball in hand once his confidence grows also doesn't mind tackling and doing the defensive stuff something most talented kids need to be tought once they get to AFL.

- Dunstan just makes good decisions with the ball the more he gets his hands on it the better we will be.

- Longer is a scrapper but needs to learn how to use his body in the ruck and marking contests was eased out of the contest too easilly too often plenty to work with though.

- Billings is all class is starting to pick up the pace of the game and be influential we will enjoy watching him for years to come.

- The 2 - 3 year players Curren Newnes Webster and obviously Saunders are running out of puff after a great start to the year

All in all given the humiliation of last week it was a step in the right direction and as many have pointed out I would rather be in our position with the rebuild underway and a clear direction of how we plan to improve over time than in Carltons where there is nothing except mediocrity to look forward to and no clue as to how they plan to improve.

Let me in
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Siposs doesn't like going for the hard ball, so I would replace him with Dunnel who is a good if not better mark and contests hard. Milera will need to come in to add some kind of flair and disposal class.
Siposs doesn't like the hard ball, yet you want Milera in the side?

spert
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
spert wrote:Siposs doesn't like going for the hard ball, so I would replace him with Dunnel who is a good if not better mark and contests hard. Milera will need to come in to add some kind of flair and disposal class.
Siposs doesn't like the hard ball, yet you want Milera in the side?
Like I said, Dunnel for Siposs- a medium size marking forward. Milera not playing that role- he is an opportunist

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We lost the hitouts by 18, but still won the clearances by 3, without Armo! :shock:
But we have a habit of winning the clearances, despite the awesome opposition ruckmen, and their precision tapouts. :wink:
Last edited by samoht on Tue 13 May 2014 2:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:We lost the hitouts by 18, but still won the clearances by 3, without Armo!
But we have a habit of winning the clearances, despite the awesome opposition ruckmen.
:shock:
But what were the "hitouts to disadvantage" stats? :D

I think we were pretty even on the hitouts to advantage…

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

dragit wrote:
samoht wrote:We lost the hitouts by 18, but still won the clearances by 3, without Armo!
But we have a habit of winning the clearances, despite the awesome opposition ruckmen.
:shock:
But what were the "hitouts to disadvantage" stats? :D

I think we were pretty even on the hitouts to advantage…
touché!
Let's not forget the hitouts to disadvantage (which are never spoken of) !