Some footy basics ignored

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Some footy basics ignored

The margin was Hawthorn's greatest win against us (and they had plenty of big ones in the 80s), and the 23rd biggest in VFL/AFL history.

It is a long time (perhaps never) since I have seen so many of the basics disregarded. In particular, I lost count of the number of times we allowed our direct opponents to be goal side of the contest. I hope it wasn't an instruction.

There is not one player in the team who can be relied upon to deliver to a teammate. Two of the worst offenders were our two biggest possession winners (11 and 3). Ironically, if a player doesn’t get the ball and, therefore, doesn’t turn it over, that is less damaging than getting it and kicking it straight to the opposition or a mile over your leading forward’s head (who then does his knee trying a superman leap to get it).

We do have players who can't get the ball in a contest. Alas, there at least six of them that I can see, but there aren't too many we can bring in. Who? Well 4, 5, 21, 26, 31 and 35. About four others are borderline.

The thing that really pisses me off is how teams such as Geelong and Collingwood have been able to reconstruct their teams after a flag. And look at how Hawthorn have reconstructed their back half with players from other teams.

It might be just luck, but I doubt it. Certainly, since all three can spend squillions on a dedicated reserves team they have an edge. But sooner or later the finger of suspicion is going to have to point to the other bloke who sent our second most successful coach west (his co conspirator is thankfully no longer CEO) and built a team of physically weak midgets - most of whom can't kick or handball. If there is a bigger "plan" then I can't see it.

Thankfully, Carlton aren't much better. So, there is next week to look forward to.
Last edited by perfectionist on Sat 03 May 2014 7:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

BadRossco
Club Player

Re: Some footy basics ignored

Thought I was watching the Keystone Cops, a top three draft pick looks a certainty

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

I received admiring glances from a Hawthorn and Collingwood in front of me at one stage because after screaming that for god's sake kick the ball out of the centre and towards the goal square, that's what Joey actually did and guess what Jack Billings took a mark in front of goal!

Of course he missed and kicked a point, but to constantly kicking into contested marking situations on the wing can only result in turnovers. Etihad is a three kick ground down the centre, the MCG is a four kick ground down the centre so why go for 101 handballs into trouble instead of a kick out of trouble?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:...so why go for 101 handballs into trouble instead of a kick out of trouble?
To be fair to the players, there is an element of confidence involved, but it is something that Hawthorn do from the word go. We were unable to put any physical pressure on the disposer, so he had plenty of time to execute the kick. Once again, part of this is in the mind. I suspect almost all Hawthorn players were extremely confident going into the game today. When they played Geelong, there would have been some doubts and those doubts were made a reality by the physicality of the Geelong players. Hence, kicks off the side of the boot.

longtimesaint
Club Player

We are an inexperienced team -a lot of our players have probably not played at the MCG

One year will be our year
bergsone
SS Life Member

longtimesaint wrote:We are an inexperienced team -a lot of our players have probably not played at the MCG
And some who have,probally wont again

philtee
Club Player

Basics ignored, in a sub-AFL performance...

Around 20 minute mark of 1st qtr, the ball is heading to the boundary right beside the point post in Hawks' forward pocket.
Dempster ASSUMES it's going over and stops chasing it, when he HAD to kill the footy over the line.
Rioli (I think) zips past Dempster, keeps the footy alive, centres it, Hawks goal.

10 minute mark of last qtr - Hartung's goal ?
H'e marked it 40 metres out, dead in front, but miscues the kick with a wet footy, which never gets more than 10 metres off
the ground, and sails through for a goal about 1 metre off the ground. An easy mark or knock through for a Saints defender you'd think,
but there was NO Saints player with 20 metres of the goal line, not even a Longer or Stanley who should be on the goal line
for every set shot like this in case there IS a miskick.

Can't quite believe that this is the team that beat Essendon, who must REALLY be bad !
Still, Carlton on Monday week will be ours !

Freebird
Club Player

They're lazy don't run or support
Last edited by Freebird on Sat 03 May 2014 8:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

It's quite comical really.

Replay the third quarter with the sound down and have "yakkedy sax" playing on the stereo..

It's mildly entertaining.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....