VFL Rd 3 Sandringham VS Nth Ballarat

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: VFL Rd 3 Sandringham VS Nth Ballarat

Bergholt are you that gullible? Serious?

Lee wasn't traded for pick 12 to begin with.... And he's the key fwd?!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If the player is not good enough to play ones... He doesn't

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Bergholt are you that gullible? Serious?

I don't understand what you're saying. Are you saying he wasn't or he was?

"St Kilda offered up its first-round draft pick, No.12, to the Giants in return for Lee and picks 24 and 43."

We could have had either pick 12, or Lee and two other picks. So we didn't just get Lee for pick 12. Why is that hard to understand?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

No Saints players should be in the Sandy 2's but the quota forces this. Let's hope somehow a Saints VFL side is up and running next season a year early. It's vital.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
falka
Club Player

I just think that Geelong, pies etc develop players better as they aren't forced with quotas.

As for white, maybe he is lazy or whatever and they are sending a message, but maybe he is forced out due to quota system

Either way it isn't ideal for his development

As for 3 ruck men. Perfect for development, practise some time up forward, as all rucks need to rest forward.
What do stand alone vfl teams like cats and pies do in this situation?

All I know is we have invested 2nd rd picks on White and Markworth and they are both talented. Let's nurture this talent as best we can. If this is in development 2's then fantastic, but if it's for quota system, then not happy.

That is my point.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Lee will end up being a very good player so no need to freak out. He will end up being worth a pick 12 even without the extras. He was always going back to build up fitness so no need to panic. He will have KPIs to meet before he gets elevated and they obviously haven't got there yet.

White came as a guy who plays 20 minutes of footy per game and goes back to sleep. He's an obscenely talented guy but a bit lazy. He always came with the clause and we knew what we were getting. I just hope we manage him well because he is one that i feel might lose motivation at Sandy and not improve. Give him 4 weeks of senior AFL then drop him back and see if it makes him hungry to come back.

If I were trying to motivate an unmotivated guy I wouldn't punitively send him back to the development league. He's more likely to just walk. He's got the Plugger or G Train attitude to footy IMO and it's something to do but not the most exciting thing he could be doing. Hope he's not 20 years too late.These days that kind of attitude is harder to manage as you can't half arse training and preparation.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

gringo wrote:Lee will end up being a very good player so no need to freak out. He will end up being worth a pick 12 even without the extras. He was always going back to build up fitness so no need to panic.
Correct - my understanding is that the games that Lee played last year were seen as a bonus by the club as his body was nowhere near ready for AFL. WAs not expected to be playing until the back half of this season I believe........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
falka
Club Player

gringo wrote:Lee will end up being a very good player so no need to freak out. He will end up being worth a pick 12 even without the extras. He was always going back to build up fitness so no need to panic. He will have KPIs to meet before he gets elevated and they obviously haven't got there yet.

White came as a guy who plays 20 minutes of footy per game and goes back to sleep. He's an obscenely talented guy but a bit lazy. He always came with the clause and we knew what we were getting. I just hope we manage him well because he is one that i feel might lose motivation at Sandy and not improve. Give him 4 weeks of senior AFL then drop him back and see if it makes him hungry to come back.

If I were trying to motivate an unmotivated guy I wouldn't punitively send him back to the development league. He's more likely to just walk. He's got the Plugger or G Train attitude to footy IMO and it's something to do but not the most exciting thing he could be doing. Hope he's not 20 years too late.These days that kind of attitude is harder to manage as you can't half arse training and preparation.
Interesting!

He obviously needs to get a minimum fitness standard before being gifted any games.

So is he lazy? Does he train hard enough? Is he disinterested? What are the facts? We know he can go missing in games but so do all forwards. Is it just perception.

Reality might be he can run and jump but does he have the know how?

Would love to see him get a chance at some stage at least 4 games.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You are correct Bergolt.

Do you think I didn't realise what his actual trade was...... Went over your head it seems

First point about Lee pinch hitting forward... Was written in the review that someone linked... And is a ridiculous comment

As is the ridiculous commentary about his trade to the club.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

"St Kilda offered up its first-round draft pick, No.12, to the Giants in return for Lee and picks 24 and 43."

We could have had either pick 12, or Lee and two other picks. So we didn't just get Lee for pick 12. Why is that hard to understand?
Don't bother you're dealing with an idiot

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Lovely thing to say?

Lucky there's no forum rules...

defacto
Club Player

bergholt wrote:

i wouldnt waste your breath mate. the bloke clearly thinks he knows it all

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Good to see Tom Lee is going to 'pinch hit forward'

Must be why we traded pick 12 for him?!
:wink: :wink: :wink: ...that actually made me laugh...

..but in the end hope our pick wasn't wasted...

lee doesn't look like a footballer to me though...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

falka wrote:
PJ wrote:
falka wrote:Great to see white in the development squad. Just great.

I'm having a kick next week with my 3 yr old daughter, maybe he can do that instead of a game.

This is unacceptable
Why? If he's good enough he'll get noticed and elevated until then he's just another listed player.
Point is, what is best for development?

Also, he is good enough but we have a quota system, meaning your point is wrong.

Not happy with Lee rucking also as he never will at afl level

If Holmes plays in sandy 2's this will occur again. Once again no player should be at sandy 2's
..and that's the reason we are going to field our own stand alone team...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

not true we got pick 43 from west coast for crippe......we have had this discussion before ,,,,why is hat so difficult for you to understand and take it as a fact.....????

PJ
SS Life Member

It's always a balancing act with fringe players that show some exciting skills but don't have the work ethic instilled in them. Talent only gets you so far then it's about how you handle/motivate yourself. Sometimes they just don't make it for whatever reason.

I'm hopeful for Spencer and really have no idea whether he works hard or not but yes it would, especially for us inter-staters, be great to see him at the top level for a couple of games - without them being gifted. If he's got the talent but can't apply himself it's just a tease.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
bergholt wrote:

not true we got pick 43 from west coast for crippe......we have had this discussion before ,,,,why is hat so difficult for you to understand and take it as a fact.....????
What's Cripps got to do with this?
At the end of the 2012 season he was traded to the West Coast Eagles Football Club along with draft pick 46 in exchange for draft picks 41 and 44.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
dragit
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Here we go...
It WAS actually 43 before free agency picks and Adelaide sat out.
Which turned It into 45, which we swapped in the cripps trade.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

falka wrote:Interesting!

He obviously needs to get a minimum fitness standard before being gifted any games.

So is he lazy? Does he train hard enough? Is he disinterested? What are the facts? We know he can go missing in games but so do all forwards. Is it just perception.

Reality might be he can run and jump but does he have the know how?

Would love to see him get a chance at some stage at least 4 games.
Not sure if you were referring to Lee or White.
If it was Lee didn't he have pre-season operations?
So because of this he has a lesser fitness base than the others and will take a bit longer to reach full match fitness.
If it was White, I think he maybe needs to mature a bit (as a person to understand what is expected) but I have never met him so that is just my view from afar.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

White's good enough for VFL seniors IMO.

I don't think this is going out on a ledge though.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
stinger wrote:
bergholt wrote:

not true we got pick 43 from west coast for cripps.....we have had this discussion before ,,,,why is that so difficult for you to understand and take it as a fact.....????
Here we go...
It WAS actually 43 before free agency picks and Adelaide sat out.
Which turned It into 45, which we swapped in the cripps trade.
i'm a lawyer and i deal in facts...fact is that what eventually did or did not happen..and what pick turned into what number......official afl records clearly state.....that st kilda recruited ..picked...selected....whatever you want to call it......josh saunders with draft selection no 43 which was traded by west coast eagles for jamie cripps........you guys can jump up and down all you like...but facts are facts.....if you want to state something as fact...get it right ffs.....

dragit
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote: i'm a lawyer and i deal in facts...fact is that what eventually did or did not happen..and what pick turned into what number......official afl records clearly state.....that st kilda recruited ..picked...selected....whatever you want to call it......josh saunders with draft selection no 43 which was traded by west coast eagles for jamie cripps........you guys can jump up and down all you like...but facts are facts.....if you want to state something as fact...get it right ffs.....
You might be dealing in dementia these days mate.
When the Lee trade went through, we got 24 & 43.
My six year old understands that some draft picks changed slightly after the free agency compensation came out.
Btw... I am the King of Nigeria, which clearly usurps any filthy Australian lawyer or cleaner.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I'm a lawyer too.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:I'm a lawyer too.
My apologies,
I'm tipping that you can grasp that when the Lee trade went through, GWS gave us pick 43? Subsequently this number changed when compensation picks were added into the mix.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:I'm a lawyer too.
So was John Howard.
Not a lot to skite about there!