St Kilda going home !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: St Kilda going home !!

spert wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:Right now, St Kilda FC is a brand and it needs to be be marketed in the most high-profile areas possible- in order to get the highest returns possible for both the club and the AFL. Like it or not, the money and power is in the inner suburban regions of any city and that's where you firmly plant your product, especially one with national media exposure. I have no doubt that we will be based at Junction Oval again in a partnership with the Victorian Cricket authorities, overseen by the government and AFL, once all the technicalities are ironed out amongst the interested parties.

Where the team trains is just a by-product of those decisions.

Dont get these comments at all. The hawks have become a huge club since they went to waverley. The pies are inner city but they were always huge. North and melbourne couldnt be much closer to inner city and they are bottom 4 clubs in size. essendon have moved from Essendon to even further out of the city. We wont get increased media exposure because we train at the Junction if we are a bottom side. if we are a top side we will get exposure wherever we train.Soponsors get their money from exposure on TV, Papers, radio etc but not because of the training venue.
Well plugger66, you need to think outside the old Saints box mate!

I think you need to explain to me how it helps our profile being based at the Junction oval when compared to the Hawks, North and melbourne. Like i said if we get proper use of better facilities them im all for it but if it costs money and we have to answer to CV I dont see how anyone could be excited.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote: Like i said if we get proper use of better facilities them im all for it but if it costs money and we have to answer to CV I dont see how anyone could be excited.
This sums it up for me. We just have to wait and see what the final proposed deal is.
It's too early to know at this stage whether it will benefit the club or not.

I read somewhere that Finnis will come on board as CEO soon. His first press conference will be interesting.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Putting it bluntly, no business would want to invest in a brand based down the back of Seaford when they could invest in a brand based in the heart of St Kilda. I don't care about Hawthorn or Collingwood etc..it's about getting OUR club in a good strategic position to survive and succeed, and if we can achieve that, then wow!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Putting it bluntly, no business would want to invest in a brand based down the back of Seaford when they could invest in a brand based in the heart of St Kilda. I don't care about Hawthorn or Collingwood etc..it's about getting OUR club in a good strategic position to survive and succeed, and if we can achieve that, then wow!

So lets get this straight. if a major sponsorship like holden were interested they would say no because we train at seaford. Surely that ouldnt make any difference to holden where we train. Its about TV, newspapers, success. Training venue surely doesnt even come into it. You care about other clubs because it doesnt make your point seem reasonable. We play at Etihad. Where we train means jack. melbourne were at the junction for years and had a bit of success but didnt get any real great sponsorship.

TJMcCarthy
Club Player

Can we have the '- Adelaide Oval - level of upgrade-' and play home games there please?

If it helps I'll buy a home games membership ticket for home games played in St.Kilda tomorrow !

And please put the train line back in service.

Strength Through Unity - CAR'N THE SAINTS!
spert
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:Putting it bluntly, no business would want to invest in a brand based down the back of Seaford when they could invest in a brand based in the heart of St Kilda. I don't care about Hawthorn or Collingwood etc..it's about getting OUR club in a good strategic position to survive and succeed, and if we can achieve that, then wow!

So lets get this straight. if a major sponsorship like holden were interested they would say no because we train at seaford. Surely that ouldnt make any difference to holden where we train. Its about TV, newspapers, success. Training venue surely doesnt even come into it. You care about other clubs because it doesnt make your point seem reasonable. We play at Etihad. Where we train means jack. melbourne were at the junction for years and had a bit of success but didnt get any real great sponsorship.
Plugger66 - it's 2014 not 2004 or 1994..as I said, training is a by-product of where the club sees its base- the training part is irrelevant, the business part is everything, and how business is done now now is different even from five years ago- this club needs money, and quickly to survive, and a chook raffle at the suburban footy club wont do it like it like it might have years ago. Mate we want the best for our club!

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

What a load of crap, if their name is on the hats we where after we win a premiership, they wouldn't give a rats ass where we train.
Why can't you people get this, success attracts sponsors in sports, not location. Companies like to be linked to success. See their brand advertised on Friday Night Football, not some billboard hanging off a training facility.
Hell, you would have to take your eyes off the road and risk running up some backside to see Carlton's sponsor at Princes Park.
If a corporation want motorists to see their product advertised, they put up a billboard.
What sponsors want is to be linked to success, and for that link to be seen on big rating timeslots for football.
Emirates and Jeep will get a lot more out of who wins tonight regarding their product than the signs hanging on the teams training facilities.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Plugger66 - it's 2014 not 2004 or 1994..as I said, training is a by-product of where the club sees its base- the training part is irrelevant, the business part is everything, and how business is done now now is different even from five years ago- this club needs money, and quickly to survive, and a chook raffle at the suburban footy club wont do it like it like it might have years ago. Mate we want the best for our club!
BS Spert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Yes training at Seaford and living on the Peninsula which is only 20 minutes away would be so dreadful and keep players away.

http://capeschancklightstation.com.au/g ... -victoria/

PJ
SS Life Member

The junction oval has a profile seafood doesn't. Perception is everything.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:Right now, St Kilda FC is a brand and it needs to be be marketed in the most high-profile areas possible- in order to get the highest returns possible for both the club and the AFL. Like it or not, the money and power is in the inner suburban regions of any city and that's where you firmly plant your product, especially one with national media exposure. I have no doubt that we will be based at Junction Oval again in a partnership with the Victorian Cricket authorities, overseen by the government and AFL, once all the technicalities are ironed out amongst the interested parties.

Where the team trains is just a by-product of those decisions.

Dont get these comments at all. The hawks have become a huge club since they went to waverley. The pies are inner city but they were always huge. North and melbourne couldnt be much closer to inner city and they are bottom 4 clubs in size. essendon have moved from Essendon to even further out of the city. We wont get increased media exposure because we train at the Junction if we are a bottom side. if we are a top side we will get exposure wherever we train.Soponsors get their money from exposure on TV, Papers, radio etc but not because of the training venue.
I reckon we have the second most publicity of any Victorian team behind Collingwood no matter where we are on the ladder (aside from the recent Essendope saga) so publicity shouldn't be a problem wherever we are.

Like I said previously, we can have a run on the ACTUAL Junction Oval once a fortnight or so right now if we wanted to anyway but our main training will be on the Stuart Trott Oval (which could just as easily be Seaford or Moorabbin).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Yes training at Seaford and living on the Peninsula which is only 20 minutes away would be so dreadful and keep players away.

http://capeschancklightstation.com.au/g ... -victoria/
I find that video very appealing. But I'm a middle aged man.

I reckon if I was 22 i would prefer this.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
stinger
Saintsational Legend

we were being screwd by the st kilda cricket club up until we left in the mid 60's.......that's

even though that was now 50 years ago....what makes anyone think it would be different the second time around......????

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

PJ wrote:The junction oval has a profile seafood doesn't. Perception is everything.
+1.

Image reinforcement. St Kilda as St Kilda -- the alternative/tolerant/multicultural/goodtime suburb. A distinctive brand and very attractive to certain marketers. Signage would also be sent by many thousands who pass through the junction every day.

Even if it's just Stuart Trott oval ... the Pies won a flag out of Gosch's Paddock.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Agreed

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Many more people live in the Sth East Suburbs rather than the CBD and it's growing at 2000 a month.

How many young families are moving into the Inner city? Compared to the suburbs...

Whilst city flogs think its cool to live in overpriced dog boxes on top of each other, life on 900m2 next to the beach is more attractive IMO so whilst I don't live in Franga I don't pity those who live around Oliver's Hill and Daveys Bay?

Seaford is 35k out of the city

Waverley park is 30k.... On the Monash car park

If we return to JO in a capacity more than token
It would be ridiculous

avid
Club Player

A lot of it is perception.

Do we want to look like a second or third rate peripheral club, struggling to find a place in Melbourne and an identity in the culture,

Or do we want to be a club at the centre of the metropolis, an essential part of its history and culture and contemporary image, one of its 3 or 4 most famous localities (perhaps its most famous one; certainly its quirkiest, its funnest, and possibly its most marketable). One of Melbourne's core, iconic inner-city identities.

Even if we never won a premiership again, we'd still be famous, and marketable, and essential to Melbourne.
(It would help to win a premiership though.)

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:The junction oval has a profile seafood doesn't. Perception is everything.
lol - you are joking surely? The Junction Oval is a dump of monumental proportions.

This is so much BS as it wont happen. Feds have said nada to the 10 mill required so the State govt wont be putting their hand in their kick.

DEAD IN THE WATER

PAPER TALK IS ALL

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Many more people live in the Sth East Suburbs rather than the CBD and it's growing at 2000 a month.

How many young families are moving into the Inner city? Compared to the suburbs...

Whilst city flogs think its cool to live in overpriced dog boxes on top of each other, life on 900m2 next to the beach is more attractive IMO so whilst I don't live in Franga I don't pity those who live around Oliver's Hill and Daveys Bay?

It would be ridiculous
So if you live in the inner city you're a flog?

That's a stupid and pretty narrow minded comment.

Benefits in living in both inner and outer Melbourne.

Each to their own.

I wouldn't judge anyone on were they live but I do judge people on what they write if you know what I mean.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
BigMart wrote:Many more people live in the Sth East Suburbs rather than the CBD and it's growing at 2000 a month.

It would be ridiculous

Each to their own.

I wouldn't judge anyone on were they lived but I do judge people on what they write if you know what I mean.
i love my docklands unit...i can go and watch my beloved saints and be home before the first angry post after a loss ,hits this forum......no problems with parking either.......don't regard myself...or the missus ..as flogs either...... :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
suss
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
lol - you are joking surely? The Junction Oval is a dump of monumental proportions.

This is so much BS as it wont happen. Feds have said nada to the 10 mill required so the State govt wont be putting their hand in their kick.

DEAD IN THE WATER

PAPER TALK IS ALL
Wilson raises some interesting points in her article though. It could be the AFL driving it. They are concerned.

And the move to Seaford was insane and remains broadly unpopular.

I'm usually a cynic but there might be something in this.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

It would be ridiculous

Each to their own.

I wouldn't judge anyone on were they lived but I do judge people on what they write if you know what I mean.
i love my docklands unit...i can go and watch my beloved saints and be home before the first angry post after a loss ,hits this forum......no problems with parking either.......don't regard myself...or the missus ..as flogs either...... :twisted:

I live 10 minutes from junction so am a bit biased but while moorabin holds memories St Kilda is our naming suburb. This is like freakin biblical man. We are like a bunch of enslaved Jews shackled to building Pharaoh Demetriou"s temple of Etihad. Time to move home and get rid of our ridiculous etihad contract.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

It would be ridiculous

Each to their own.

Hi Stinger, With your docklands unit, did you used to live on a suburban block? If so, do you miss not having a yard, etc?

What would you say are the positives/negatives of each?

Just wondering, and I know this isn't the place (maybe PM me - however that works) but me and the mrs are thinking about our future (house wise).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
PJ
SS Life Member

The Junction Oval is in prime location. It has history, capacity to grow and is seen by how many people passing by that massive intersection?

Yes there are suburbs springing up everywhere? Who cares about pop nowheres with a view of what? the neighbours house which is exactly the same as every other house in nowhere land.I can see it now the SUBURBAN SAINTS. Killer PR image.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:The Junction Oval is in prime location. It has history, capacity to grow and is seen by how many people passing by that massive intersection?

Yes there are suburbs springing up everywhere? Who cares about pop nowheres with a view of what? the neighbours house which is exactly the same as every other house in nowhere land.I can see it now the SUBURBAN SAINTS. Killer PR image.

Thats the thing. The JO has no capacity to grow. Anyway its pretty obvious to me what a true saints supporter should want. If the JO has better facilities and we have equal rights we must go there. If the JO costs us money and we are second fiddle we must not go there. Seems pretty straight forward to me.