Practice match -Sandringham at Moorabbin 29th march

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Practice match -Sandringham at Moorabbin 29th march

ATM looks like Seb is fighting for a spot against Dunstan, Armo, Jones and Hayes. Good to see him putting pressure on the other inside mids. Thats a few Sandy games he's lead the possession count and dominated now. He'll get his chance soon, you'd think.

FQF
SS Life Member

saintbrat wrote:http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-03-3 ... just-short
Seb Ross was the shinning light for Sandringham; the midfielder was prolific around the contest, gathering 33 disposals and snapping a classy goal.

"He got a lot of possessions, worked pretty hard and it was nice for him to go forward and get a goal,” McPhee said.

Werribee were fast out of the blocks in the first quarter, capitalising on Sandringham’s lack of a genuine ruckmen, with Tom Lee rucking while Billy Longer made his way over from Etihad Stadium where he had been warming up with St Kilda’s senior team in case a late change was needed.

The addition of Longer to the team in the second quarter proved to be a spark for the Zebras, as Longer’s hit-outs to advantage proved vital in the Zebras’ ability to control the midfield, with the Zebras taking a four-point lead into half-time
Tom Lee rucked?! That's absolutely absurd. Why wouldn't they play Holmes? Why couldn't Bruce ruck - he's much taller than Lee. And what would they have done if Longer was a late change for the Saints?

FQF
SS Life Member

thezelk wrote:Spoke to a mate who went to the game, says of Seb Ross.. "looks like a footballer, but his 2 major floors, are that, he turns like the titanic and would be, lucky to hit the titanic on a lead"

But "has great hands"
The second comment is odd seeing as one of his standout features talked about prior to him being drafted were his excellent foot skills.

falka
Club Player

FQF wrote:
thezelk wrote:Spoke to a mate who went to the game, says of Seb Ross.. "looks like a footballer, but his 2 major floors, are that, he turns like the titanic and would be, lucky to hit the titanic on a lead"

But "has great hands"
The second comment is odd seeing as one of his standout features talked about prior to him being drafted were his excellent foot skills.
Id like to see where they were rated as excellent. I thought his knock was he could float his kicks a little, lacked penetration.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Great work from Seb. He was looking good at the end of last season and getting in the low 20 possessions. he's not popular on here but I like what he does albeit quietly. Seems a focused serious young man. Good to see Mozzie starting to get a bit of form back.

White just ticking over another couple on his goal kicking tally. Markworth starting to stand up. Good signs.
he's popular with me......my favorite amongst the young ones.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:ATM looks like Seb is fighting for a spot against Dunstan, Armo, Jones and Hayes. Good to see him putting pressure on the other inside mids. Thats a few Sandy games he's lead the possession count and dominated now. He'll get his chance soon, you'd think.
Well thats great news that Seb had a good game and got his hands on it.
Its bloody good news and will do his confidence the world of good.

I think the issue is we have Hayes, Dunstan, Armo and Curren who are all fairly similar. If we play 5 of these guys we could get done for pace. But definitely worth keeping on our list for when Len-dog is done.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Best players have been added to that post:
Best: Ross, Cockie, Longer, Milera, Markworth, Billings

stkfc1
Club Player

Unfortunately I only got to see the first half but things that stood out. Markworth is definitely above VFL level. Smooth mover with all the time in the world. Has got some nice tricks and has a touch of aggression which is good. Longer made an impact as soon as he got on the ground. Super aggressive. I think we may have one of the best ruck divisions in a couple of years. Bruce looked ok. Got caught out of position a few times but also did some nice things. Milera is the one that annoys me and Im calling it now, but he will not make it at AFL level if he doesn't rectify a glaring flaw in his game. He is so much better than everyone out there, skill wise, but he will not get in the contest when required. A few contests I saw him ball watching, waiting for something to happen, when in fact he needed to be in the contest trying to make something happen. I know he's an outside player but if the contest calls for it, you gotta go. There was a two on two contest, ended up being a two on one because Terry was waiting for his teammate to do the hard work. Werribee players worked it out and away they went. I actually yeld at him over the fence to 'get in there'. Really frustrating and will kill his career if he doesn't fix it.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Forgot about Curren, Con. Saunders another young mid ahead of Ross. With fitness a key element to Richo's plans it looks as though Seb still has some work on the track to develop his tank.

Good to see some SS favourites in the bests for Sandy. Savage would be extremely nervous with Milera, Markworth and Billings staking a claim for a game against the Eagles. Ross obviously putting pressure on the mids and Longer on Stanley and Cox, I mean Hickey ;)

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:

But "has great hands"
Does he live in a multi-storey building? His major floors may need some renovation. At least he doesn't have any major flaws.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
FQF
SS Life Member

falka wrote:
FQF wrote:

But "has great hands"
Id like to see where they were rated as excellent. I thought his knock was he could float his kicks a little, lacked penetration.
Watters compares Ross to Pendlebury:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au%2Fsport%2Fafl%2Fnew-pendles-recruit-sebastian-ross-delights-st-kilda-coach-scott-watters%2Fstory-fn4hg9de-1226206521018&ei=e9o3U93dEY7klAWYmIGoCQ&usg=AFQjCNGsd4dOqfTtXl6hDQNf2ioyAgZLqg&sig2=S_3-Fac1XXdAtMiUcp7rVg&bvm=bv.63808443,d.dGI

And from a phantom draft at the time:

Sebastian Ross (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 07/05/1993
Recruited from: North Ballarat Rebels
Style: Nick Dal Santo
Player comparison:
Range: 20-50
Profile: Medium midfielder/forward who feels really draftable. Really lively. Has a high work rate. Footskills are the standout feature of his game. Just one of those perfect left footers. Under pressure has no difficulty executing. Really like his tackling pressure and for someone with his footskills it’s a rare combination to have. Can play some midfield either inside or outside comfortably. But really like what i’ve seen of him as a forward most. Hard worker and has been a real improver over the past year.