Garlett gone

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Garlett gone

BigMart wrote:Positive, if the risk is worth it even if there is a chance it ends up unsuccessful
As it was with Lovett.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Touché.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why?

Are you one those who subscribe to the theory... If Lovett played we'd be premiers?!

Under Lyon's disciplines he was never going to last.... Rape or not... Hard to be a manic defender running fwd of the footy hung over?!

If you fully knew some of the things Essendon players thought of him, you'd not suggest it was remotely a good idea?

Btw
Why, if he was such a great player who was wanted at Essendon, why was he shopped around? They wanted him gone!

Argument done to death...

Wasn't wasn't he a positive risk.... Simple, we paid way too much for an outside reciever with a flakey and poor character.

On age and ability, worth a late second rounder at his age 27 (remember you're giving up a possible 10 year player) giving his attitude towards footy a lat third rounder
Given his character.... Not a barge pole!!!!

maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why?

Are you one those who subscribe to the theory... If Lovett played we'd be premiers?!

Under Lyon's disciplines he was never going to last.... Rape or not... Hard to be a manic defender running fwd of the footy hung over?!

If you fully knew some of the things Essendon players thought of him, you'd not suggest it was remotely a good idea?

Btw
Why, if he was such a great player who was wanted at Essendon, why was he shopped around? They wanted him gone!

Wasn't wasn't he a positive risk.... Simple, we paid way too much for an outside reciever with a flakey and poor character.

On age and ability, worth a late second rounder at his age 27 (remember you're giving up a possible 10 year player) giving his attitude towards footy a lat third rounder
Three things.

1. Why would Lyon recruit him if he thought he couldn't buy in to the game plan?
2. Why was Stevie J shopped around in 2006? Many are, more than we know...
3. How did that draft pick 17 go by the way, he should be halfway through his 10 career by now...

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

We all know how well Lyon did in assessing risk in his financial affairs!
Ball/Lovett situation one more example of his astute investment strategies.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:

Btw

Three things.

1. Why would Lyon recruit him if he thought he couldn't buy in to the game plan?
2. Why was Stevie J shopped around in 2006? Many are, more than we know...
3. How did that draft pick 17 go by the way, he should be halfway through his 10 career by now...

it was pick 16.......jasper pittard....but maybe we would have gone for daniel menzel or nat fyfe....ryan bastinac or koby stevens even...personally i wouldd have gone for jake carlisle or mitch duncan..at the time....all of whom were drafted later than pick

....16....ffs...the thought of nat fyfe in a saints jumper gives me a warm fuzzy feeling... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Btw

How can any club pay to much for a chance of winning a flag especially one that has won onw in 140 years. Of course we did in hindsight but to argue it cost us to much money now is crap. We know that becuase he didnt play a game. Unless Essendon win one they have paid to much for BJ . Every single club that doesnt win a flag could say that. Its hindsight crap.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Oh sorry,

I didn't realise that without recruiting him (even with his issues) we couldn't win a flag? Or in fact with him, we would have?

And it's so funny,

Speaking of the above?

The same people who excuse the non-recruiting of BC due to character? Use a different argument for a decision 12 months later to recruit an even bigger concern?
Least Benny just went on Meth benders and partied a bit hard, reportedly a great bloke with an addiction. AL was/is just a poor human. Made Cayden Beetham look like Robert Harvey

All things equal
It could quite easily argued we had a chance to select an ageing superstar in 2009 for nothing... But baulked for of field concerns
Imagine his poise in either 2009 or 2010
But how
Changed there mind when arguing AL, in which we risked more?

can't have been right both times if you're being consistent... Surely?

You say recruit AL in 2010 we may have won
I say
Recruit BC and we possibly win both?... For Zero cost

Btw
Jasper Pittard is about a quarter of the way... He is 22 and a rising star nominee having played 30 odd games

supersaints
Club Player

I see that his former WA club have now told him they don't want him
Must be in a bad space.
The point has been raised , but if it was us that recruited him it would not be a nice "feel good" story likes the Gawks are getting but something like " Saints drafting a shambles" headline

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
falka
Club Player

supersaints wrote:I see that his former WA club have now told him they don't want him
Must be in a bad space.
The point has been raised , but if it was us that recruited him it would not be a nice "feel good" story likes the Gawks are getting but something like " Saints drafting a shambles" headline
From the Age Today (not really but a bit of fun)

"Saints recruiting knightmares continue"

St.Kilda has made another recruiting error, this time in regard to Dayle Garlett.
Having overlooked players like Fyfe, Rioli and Dean Cox in the past, and made massive blues like Ball / Lovett, they can now add GArlett to list.
Although Garlett has quit AFL, St.Kilda has missed an opportunity to not only waste a high end pick on Dayle, but also the opportunity to be talked about as the 'strong club that gave a poor boy a chance to chase his half dream'. Ironically, the compassion the Hawks have shown has been nothing short of Saintly. It is no surprise that they have won more flags than St.Kilda.
Just like in 71, the Hawks beat the Saints when it counts.
It will be interesting to see if the Saints are forced to sack Pelchen (who is the head recruiter and list manager as Elshaug and Baines don't exist) on the back of this one.
St.Kilda were unavailable for comment at the time this article went to print, but no doubt the board will be meeting for crisis talks at Seaford soon.
Just on that, Seaford has been a terrible decision up there with the Garlett one.
As Freo run out this rd with Ross in charge, the Saints will say, "what would Ross have done with Garlett to make it work for Saints 4th flag"
Instead they will be wondering which players ail get 'drunk and touchy tonight"

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Oh sorry,

I didn't realise that without recruiting him (even with his issues) we couldn't win a flag? Or in fact with him, we would have?

And it's so funny,

Speaking of the above?

The same people who excuse the non-recruiting of BC due to character? Use a different argument for a decision 12 months later to recruit an even bigger concern?
Least Benny just went on Meth benders and partied a bit hard, reportedly a great bloke with an addiction. AL was/is just a poor human. Made Cayden Beetham look like Robert Harvey

All things equal
It could quite easily argued we had a chance to select an ageing superstar in 2009 for nothing... But baulked for of field concerns
Imagine his poise in either 2009 or 2010
But how
Changed there mind when arguing AL, in which we risked more?

can't have been right both times if you're being consistent... Surely?

You say recruit AL in 2010 we may have won
I say
Recruit BC and we possibly win both?... For Zero cost

Btw
Jasper Pittard is about a quarter of the way... He is 22 and a rising star nominee having played 30 odd games

Where do you get these ideas? Who said we couldnt win one without him? The fact is we didnt though. See I can use hindsight like the king of it. By the way on Cousins have you heard Wallace say now in hindsight he thinks it may have effected the Tigers players. Of course you will ignore that comment or come up with something like what would Wallace know as I know better.

By the way you are having a go at people saying we could have got Lovett but not Cousins by saying cant have it right both times if you are consistent. Obviously those rules dont apply to you. That is so funny. having a go about others and you are 180 degrees the other way. So where is your consistentcy BM. Different rules apply to you obviously.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Really you two.

Do we need another ten page epic of duelling egos when any billy goat can boil it down to

In hindsight

Cousins a good decision

Lovett a bad decision.

One a junkie who now his ex coach is saying was a bad influence on his players at Richmond

The other an ordinary human being who never played a game for us because of terrible character flaws.

So lyon got one right and one wrong.

OMG he is human.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Really you two.

Do we need another ten page epic of duelling egos when any billy goat can boil it down to

In hindsight

Cousins a good decision

Lovett a bad decision.

One a junkie who now his ex coach is saying was a bad influence on his players at Richmond

The other an ordinary human being who never played a game for us because of terrible character flaws.

OMG he is human.

Yep sorry JB and others. Will at least try and keep it close to topic in future and only argue on the points i think he is wrong. Just got a bit upset because he had a go at me being separated. thought that was a bit below the belt especially after he also threatened to belt me.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Really you two.

In hindsight

Cousins a good decision

Lovett a bad decision.

OMG he is human.

Yep sorry JB and others. Will at least try and keep it close to topic in future and only argue on the points i think he is wrong. Just got a bit upset because he had a go at me being separated. thought that was a bit below the belt especially after he also threatened to belt me.
Didn't know about the personal s.hit P66. Pretty low.

I did read his threat to assault you, then back away at a million miles an hour, thought that was telling.

Anyhoo, no harm done, I suppose.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Can you quote Any comments about Cousins from ex coach?

BTW
What would we think if Hawthorn used pick 18 on Garlett... Would it change the perceptions on the value of his drafting
Or
What would you think if StK used pick 55 on Garlett ..... And this happened... Would it have been a shambles?

Why do we have a victim mentality?

Are we seriously suggesting we baulk on things because of how the media/opposition supporters perceive things?!
Surely decisions are made around football impact.

Again
Risk what you give up

Not what you get in

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Can you quote Any comments about Cousins from ex coach?

BTW
What would we think if Hawthorn used pick 18 on Garlett... Would it change the perceptions on the value of his drafting
Or
What would you think if StK used pick 55 on Garlett ..... And this happened... Would it have been a shambles?

Why do we have a victim mentality?

Are we seriously suggesting we baulk on things because of how the media/opposition supporters perceive things?!
Surely decisions are made around football impact.

Again
Risk what you give up

Not what you get in

Wallace says it on an ad on SEN. It is his voice so im pretty sure its fact. Hope that is ok. As ive answered that can you tell me if he thinks that way then surely we may have dodged a bullet. Do you agree with that?

If the hawks used pick 18 then it would have been a bad pick because hindsight shows they could have got him later. If we used pick 55 it would have been a bad pick because we know he doesnt want to play AFL.

I dont think we have a victim mentality. i think there was only one or two clubs who werent going to cop it for taking the punt on Garlett. Certainly any bottom club that took him would have copped it IMO. We are never going to know either way are we so you can think what you think I will will think what I think

And all clubs would make decisions on how the media perceive things whether it recruiting or sponsorship and other things. The media can hurt your club. look at the Duthie thing if you dont beleive me.

Finally the only thing we know out of all this is garlett was a wasted pick. In hinsight of course. I think this topic should change forums. he has never had anything to do with our club and never will.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't a bottom club have possibly benefitted more? On the upside?

Agreed a big club has less to lose, but surely a team bereft of talent, is in more need of Elite talent?

BTW
I have stated before... Would not have got him in 2013, only if he was around in R4 in the draft? Which he wasn't

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Wouldn't a bottom club have possibly benefitted more? On the upside?

Agreed a big club has less to lose, but surely a team bereft of talent, is in more need of Elite talent?

BTW
I have stated before... Would not have got him in 2013, only if he was around in R4 in the draft? Which he wasn't

Of course a bottom club could have benefitted more but they were also going to cop more if it failed because its a wasted pick whilst you are trying to rebuild. And the wasted pick is even before the season starts. And after doing that just 4 years ago with Lovett the media would have jumped all over us saying its happened agin. it was a risk to large IMO and considering they could have got him for basically nothing 2 years ago also a risk the club, actually clubs, werent prepared to take.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Btw

You can write what ever you like and try and change the past with whatever crap you want but you arnt fooling anyone.

Lovett wanted out of essendon as much as they wanted to trade him. And how can someone pay 'a second rounder' when both port and Brisbane had offered him more money.

He had three contracts on the table. The market price was set.

You're delusional...

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Drafting Lovett according to BM

Wasn't that good
Paid too much
Everyone else was wrong

Drafting Garlett according to BM:

Wanted to draft him
A positive risk
Everyone else is still wrong

Things just don't add up in this twisted mind.

Sick of people that change the facts like performance and ability to suit what their view was originally.