Herald Sun Footy Experts (?)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Herald Sun Footy Experts (?)

Of the 20 polled 11 have us as the wooden spooners.

saint4life
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Herald Sun Footy Experts (?)

We need good draft picks,we have made so many list changes we are now less experienced in comparison to GWS and the GCS.

The quality of those changes is yet to be proven, Elshaug and co are doing their best to help us reload.

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
chook23
Saintsational Legend

7 GWS on bottom

2 Bris Lions on bottom

saint4life
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:Of the 20 polled 11 have us as the wooden spooners.
Fair call. At best we'll be third last you'd think

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Brisbane Lions - that's a bit harsh. Think a couple of experts went early there.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon also rated second best coach in the league by Ralph.

Wow. Amazing what the rest of the world thinks.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Lyon, Clarlson are clearly the best coaches... By some margin

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Lyon, Clarlson are clearly the best coaches... By some margin
I'd be interested in seeing the criteria used to reach this conclusion !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

PJ
SS Life Member

When you're in a rebuild no one will back you until your more proven, To be expected especially with a new coach thrown in as well. Wouldn't worry about it and it makes us look better when we do win games. Richo will make us a more hard working team and we'll see improvement in the kids - just enjoy the development.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

We'll know the answer in 3 weeks time. If we lose the opening two then I think they're on the money.

If we get a full strength side on the ground any time this year we will be far from embarrassing, but we're not off to a great start on that front. Full strength for the year we would of been in the 5-8 wins category. Without our line breakers in Steven and Gilbert, it's hard too see us being damaging enough

Bring back the Lockett era
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:We need good draft picks,we have made so many list changes we are now less experienced in comparison to GWS and the GCS.
More importantly, we have much less upside and quality than GWS and GCS.

And we are a draft or two behind the Bulldogs.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Experts (?)

I would be seriously surprised if anything approaching an 'expert' opinion seeped out of the herald sun. As a dumbing down tool masquerading as a newspaper I sincerely doubt this paper can deliver expert opinion even in the sports pages. Only worth a look for the photos - don't bother with the words - the whole paper is organised around making the readers reactive to so-called 'news' stories. Because they make no effort to explain the 'news' for me that makes their modus operandi anti-social. It's a type of cynicism that thrives on exploiting people's opinions rather than encouraging our understanding.
My own expert view is that we might end up with 5 wins by the end of rd.. 23.
Still development and growth as a team will be my main hope in 2014.

G O S A I N T S ! :D

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Experts (?)

Megamaguire wrote:I would be seriously surprised if anything approaching an 'expert' opinion seeped out of the herald sun. As a dumbing down tool masquerading as a newspaper I sincerely doubt this paper can deliver expert opinion even in the sports pages. Only worth a look for the photos - don't bother with the words - the whole paper is organised around making the readers reactive to so-called 'news' stories. Because they make no effort to explain the 'news' for me that makes their modus operandi anti-social. It's a type of cynicism that thrives on exploiting people's opinions rather than encouraging our understanding.

So you bag the paper and then just about agree with them by saying we may end up with 5 wins.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Megamaguire wrote:I would be seriously surprised if anything approaching an 'expert' opinion seeped out of the herald sun. As a dumbing down tool masquerading as a newspaper I sincerely doubt this paper can deliver expert opinion even in the sports pages. Only worth a look for the photos - don't bother with the words - the whole paper is organised around making the readers reactive to so-called 'news' stories. Because they make no effort to explain the 'news' for me that makes their modus operandi anti-social. It's a type of cynicism that thrives on exploiting people's opinions rather than encouraging our understanding.

So you bag the paper and then just about agree with them by saying we may end up with 5 wins.

I find it an anti social piece of crap too. It's a depressing place journalism finds itself in. Remember when journalism was about offering a neutral position when reporting facts? Where did that go?

You have to agree with the footy experts because it would be a very optimistic person that saw us in the top 8 and our likely finish is probably best 12th or so and worst last. When you are down you look for development as your measure of success. Does that make his statement that the paper is rubbish any less valid? I think you could ask anyone and get the same opinion except the wildly delusional.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I find it an anti social piece of crap too. It's a depressing place journalism finds itself in. Remember when journalism was about offering a neutral position when reporting facts? Where did that go?

You have to agree with the footy experts because it would be a very optimistic person that saw us in the top 8 and our likely finish is probably best 12th or so and worst last. When you are down you look for development as your measure of success. Does that make his statement that the paper is rubbish any less valid? I think you could ask anyone and get the same opinion except the wildly delusional.

Anti Social. Well thats a new one. What I find funny is how well a paper can sell but you could ask anyone and get an opinion thats its crap. By the way this isnt about the paper its about the footy experts and about hald think we will finish last. Would have thought that is pretty close to the mark.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Anti Social. Well thats a new one. What I find funny is how well a paper can sell but you could ask anyone and get an opinion thats its crap. By the way this isnt about the paper its about the footy experts and about hald think we will finish last. Would have thought that is pretty close to the mark.

It's crap just like most of the popular TV shows these days. My kitchen rules is Australia's most popular show but it is crap beyond belief. People are stupid and will eat up what is put in front of them. Alan Jones is popular, Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus are popular. Popular isn't a sign of quality.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Anti Social. Well thats a new one. What I find funny is how well a paper can sell but you could ask anyone and get an opinion thats its crap. By the way this isnt about the paper its about the footy experts and about hald think we will finish last. Would have thought that is pretty close to the mark.

It's crap just like most of the popular TV shows these days. My kitchen rules is Australia's most popular show but it is crap beyond belief. People are stupid and will eat up what is put in front of them. Alan Jones is popular, Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus are popular. Popular isn't a sign of quality.

Didnt say it was. Just said I doubt most people would agree with you. Anyway what the footy experts said makes sense to me.

falka
Club Player

Well who will finish last?

The reality is all clubs with things going right would not expect to get the spoon.

GWS have added some experience and have a young group of potential A graders (and lots of em)

Demons have more mid depth now too and higher picked players on their list and a new coach. They are due to climb up a bit.

The reality is we play both these teams rd 1+2, if we lose both, it is fair to say we may struggle to finish above them (last I checked we are outsiders v Melb and got towelled up by GWS (only Nab Cup I know)

So based on the above, it is not hard to see how we could finish bottom, a non football expert and a football expert could rationally come to that conclusion.

Are we on the right track yes, but we are a long way behind many other clubs. 17 other? Lets wait and see

If we win Rd 1+2 and get some momentum and confidence, then who knows what could happen (maybe 8 wins at absolute max) which won't see us last.

Stop whinging, life is too short. Get behind this club. Go Saints

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I think GWS will end up bottom. Even if they beat us their young uns will tire as the year goes on. We still have match winners - Rooey, Lenny, Monty, Stephen (when he's back) who should be able to get us over the line enough times to beat G dub. Not sure about the Demons but won't be disappointed to end up with 2nd pick in draft if honest.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:
bobmurray wrote:We need good draft picks,we have made so many list changes we are now less experienced in comparison to GWS and the GCS.

GWS are already competitive.
In 2- 3 years - no-one will get within 10 goals of them.

AD and the AFL are so keen on them being a success they have created a monster.

Sadly they will have more Flags in their first 10 years than we will have had in 120 years.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:

GWS are already competitive.
In 2- 3 years - no-one will get within 10 goals of them.

AD and the AFL are so keen on them being a success they have created a monster.

Sadly they will have more Flags in their first 10 years than we will have had in 120 years.

GWS won one game last year. Its impossible to be so outstanding in the AFL. There is SC and as long as clubs offer big money young kids will go home.