Match v Port March 8 at Alberton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match v Port March 8 at Alberton

So Ollie Wines (Echuca) had a good game ?

noddy04
Club Player

Zed wrote:Went to the game today.

Hickey was good - and would have been in our best 3 today. Held his own against PA's rucks and did some good things around the ground contesting for ground balls, tackling, even a few short bullet passes that hit their target.
Jones was average - nothing special.
Savage didn't do a lot, kicked a couple of goals but didn't really impact the game.
Lenny got lots of it, inspirational on field leadership, but sprayed a lot of his kicks
Lee - cant chase and takes an eternity to get up off the ground every time he gets knocked down. Needs to do a lot more fitness work. Also runs under the ball too many times for my liking.
Joey - solid game
Roo - presented well. set shot kicking was good but made some odd kicking decisions when running with ball.
Schneids - did a few good things but a long way off his best
Geary - one of the best. Went in hard but disposal let him down
Billings - first half on bench , started 2nd half on the wing, got a few kicks which hit their targets, and every handball hits its target. Played on the ball in the dying minutes of the game. Makes good decisions, very clean disposal, got knocked around a bit and caught a couple of times. I think he is used to having a lot more time and space, and once he adjusts to the tempo we will want to get the ball into his hands often because he will be our most effective ball user. Cant wait until he gets 50 games under his belt.
Newnes - didn't do a lot.
Roberton - good. started really well, played as sweeper in defence and read the game well. Faded out as the game went on.
Armo - hard as nails and growing into a leader. Great example of how to attack the contest.
Delaney - didn't really have a power forward to play on, but provided a bit of run. Kicking efficiency was generally good.
Ray - got a fair bit of the ball, particularly in the 2nd quarter when we were being overrun, but his kicking disposal let him down
Dempster - reliable as ever. Played a steady game mopping up and stopping on the last line
Curren - was ok, got his hands on it a few times but wasn't really a standout
Stanley - tried to play with a bit of mongrel and gave away a few frees. Beaten in the ruck, and couldn't take a contested mark. Doesn't move around enough to present himself as an option. Not progressing how we would want.
Webster - great game, reads the ball well and picked up lots of disposals. Seems to hesitate when going for the spoil, which means he doesn't always execute it properly - something to work on.
Gwilt - needed the run. Was puffing and particularly at the end of every quarter was finding it hard to run faster than half speed. Will be better for the run.
Wright - good game, read the play well and accumulated a few possessions
Saunders - good game, played as FP, but often ran all the way into to defence to provide the switch option and then would charge forward again, Enormous tank on the kid - but cant take a contested mark - which he needs to work on.
Dunstan - close to our best for mine. this kid just keeps inserting himself into the contest and getting the ball out. This kids deserves to wear the number 7 when Lenny gives it way. Has the makings of a future captain
Maister - provided a target and contested but just cant dominate
Minch - didn't do a lot. Not sure he actually spent a lot of time on the ground
Eli - provided a real sense of urgency in the forward pocket with his chase and tackling but didn't get his hands on it a lot. Not sure he actually spent a lot of time on the ground

If Hickey can keep improving our rucks will be in good shape in 2 -3 years time. Defence still leaks and panics when the ball comes in quick resulting in silly frees. Gwilt was the worst offender. Really need to play Nick out of FF and not up the ground because nobody else even looks like taking a contested mark in the forward line. Hopefully we can land ourselves a power forward of some kind in the next draft who can take a contested grab.

We are going to play some good patches of footy this year, but we are also going to have quite a few lapses where opposition teams will get a run on. I think PA came to the ground thinking this was going to be an easy run in the park, hence why we got out to such a good Q1. It was noticeable that PA's intensity lifted in the 2nd qtr onwards. Overall I was happy with what I saw and reflective of where we are at.
Great summary Zed, I was also there and thought that Webster was fantastic as was Armo and Hickey. I was really pleased with everyones effort out there and it was bloody hot so no wonder we ran out of legs (slightly) as did Port. I must say the crowd was terrific except for one dropkick who was trying to bag us at every occasion he could until the crowd told him to STFU at which time he left. Port were virtually at full strength today except for Schultz so even though we lost we will benefit greatly for the outing. There seemed to be a heap of saints people there today which was very pleasing. And for min Butcher for them is not that good . He had 2 of his goals inside the 10 metresquare from "joe the gooses" and he prances around like he is gods gift to footballers. Maister actually hit the post from 1 metre out. And for mine Jonesy does a heap of hard grunt for our team so maybe cut him some slack re his disposal

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:So Ollie Wines (Echuca) had a good game ?
I checked the Port board over at BigFooty. Apparently he dominated- except when Dunston was around :D

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Thanks for the great summary zed - appreciated.
Agreed - excellent work all who were there especially Zed!

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:So Ollie Wines (Echuca) had a good game ?
I checked the Port board over at BigFooty. Apparently he dominated- except when Dunston was around :D
Sorry *Dunstan*

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
spot on
Club Player

I'm loving Dunstan , giving him Lenny's number 7 sounds like a great idea

matrix
Saintsational Legend

lenny best on ground is a worry
someone else needs to start stepping up

i didnt end up going
12 tonne of roadbase and a bobcat with my name on it instead

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I can understand why people were annoyed at the commentary. But I think they were just a couple of local lads who like their footy. I think one was ex Filth and Bear Brad Rowe?

But they did have a real problem identifying some of the Sts guys - I never heard Gwilty mentioned at all but apparently he played?

And they did give Hickey a good rap several times and complimented our boys for not giving up.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:lenny best on ground is a worry

i didnt end up going
soft

spert
Saintsational Legend

Looks like Dunstan will get a gig in the first game, but who will replace Lenny though it is a bit of a worry that a player coming to the end of his career, is our best player in a praccy match- a big hole in our midfield stocks considering what we have in reserve- Ross is not up to it and I don't know who else there is now that Steven is out for a while. I think yesterday's match was a better result than we think for us and should give the club a lot of confidence for the hit out against Melbourne.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The fact Lenny is still in out top 5 players shows we still have serious issues.
Seb Ross is starting to become a serious concern.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:The fact Lenny is still in out top 5 players shows we still have serious issues.

I think 4 out our best 5 players are over 30.

noddy04
Club Player

stevie wrote:I can understand why people were annoyed at the commentary. But I think they were just a couple of local lads who like their footy. I think one was ex Filth and Bear Brad Rowe?

But they did have a real problem identifying some of the Sts guys - I never heard Gwilty mentioned at all but apparently he played?

And they did give Hickey a good rap several times and complimented our boys for not giving up.
Wrong stevie the Rowe was Stephen Rowe who is the sports show person on 5aa alongside Chris McDermott Mondays to Fridays 3pm till 7pm. He played for the Crows. The other was a guy called David Wildey who played for North Adelaide before the Crows came into the AFL. Both are knobjockeys who are both 1 eyedcrow clowns andabsolutely shizen footy commentators.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

noddy04 wrote:
stevie wrote:I can understand why people were annoyed at the commentary. But I think they were just a couple of local lads who like their footy. I think one was ex Filth and Bear Brad Rowe?

Wrong stevie the Rowe was Stephen Rowe who is the sports show person on 5aa alongside Chris McDermott Mondays to Fridays 3pm till 7pm. He played for the Crows. The other was a guy called David Wildey who played for North Adelaide before the Crows came into the AFL. Both are knobjockeys who are both 1 eyedcrow clowns andabsolutely shizen footy commentators.
Cheers noddy. I thought there was another Rowe in the mix there. Look, they were a bit annoying but not enough for me to turn the radio off. I would rather listen to their banter and carry on than the garbage served up by the 'official' commentators on 7!

Will be another season of watching with the volume off.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:lenny best on ground is a worry

i didnt end up going

Ah, so your real name is catrix, bro? Or bobrix?

Or....OMG...

MICHAEL RIX!

8-) :) :lol:

AdelSaint

Was also at the game and was impressed with Dunstan, he does look ready made to go.
Spent some time near our bench, was good to see Joey really chatting to the young boys giving advice and a rev-up.
Also noted the bench really trying to rev up Stanley out there, telling him "come on put in your freash, & to go for it".

Our disposal is still the main worry to me, so many times we seem to miss a target which puts us under pressure.

But was a good effort all round.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:The fact Lenny is still in out top 5 players shows we still have serious issues.

Harvey was still our best midfielder when he retired you negative worry wart :roll:

Do you also jump at shadows???

Nice that you wrote off Newnes considering you were 850 klms away.

Might as well delist him and Billings hey?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Moods
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Harvey was still our best midfielder when he retired you negative worry wart :roll:

Not sure that Harves was our best mid when he retired, or even close to it. Hayes and Dal and probably BJ were better. Apart from that I agree with the rest of your post though. We need Lenny playing well. He will lead the next generation of mids with Joey. I'd be more worried if Lenny couldn't get a kick. That would tell me that he went one year too many.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

I may well be a worry wart but you can't re write history to suit your argument.

Harves was nowhere near our best player in 08 when he retired.
Fisher was dominant and one of the best in the comp. Len dog was at the peak of his powers. Roo and Milne both had big years kicking 60+ goals.

Dal Montagna BJ and Ball were all solid and clearly had overtaken the great man.
Maybe Harves may have just snuck in the top 10 that year.

Amazing how or memories work ( or otherwise ) to suit our own stories.

I would be rapt if Lenny is in our best 12 but if he's our best player we have serious problems.
Given we are discussing whether we will be 2nd last or last - it's fair to say we have serious issues but I understand why people want to think everything is rosy.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

there are several teams where the ' older' players are still the best or close to in patches- Boomer, Mitchel, a host of cats, several swans.........

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:there are several teams where the ' older' players are still the best or close to in patches- Boomer, Mitchel, a host of cats, several swans.........
Which is terrific. But all those teams have stars in their mid 20s whereas we don't have any. That's all there is to it.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Joffa said that Harves was our best MID - not our best player. Not that I agree with him, but it certainly suits YOUR argument if it is latter.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Joffa said that Harves was our best MID - not our best player. Not that I agree with him, but it certainly suits YOUR argument if it is latter.
Lots of yelling but no idea what you are talking about.

There were 4 mids better than Harves in 08.

And we had 7 guys in their mid 20s who were genuine gun players in 08.

My argument is that we were significantly better off without our list in 08 than we are now.

Im just stating the bleeding obvious. I dont think anyone in their right mind would dispute that - but have a go if you like.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Con... Inglewood Tavern, March 22, 4:40 pm game start, function commences 4pm
They're giving away one or more tickets to the Paterson's Stadium game on Apr 5

Be there or be square

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

I may well be a worry wart but you can't re write history to suit your argument.

Harves was nowhere near our best player in 08 when he retired.
Fisher was dominant and one of the best in the comp. Len dog was at the peak of his powers. Roo and Milne both had big years kicking 60+ goals.

Dal Montagna BJ and Ball were all solid and clearly had overtaken the great man.
Maybe Harves may have just snuck in the top 10 that year.

Amazing how or memories work ( or otherwise ) to suit our own stories.

I would be rapt if Lenny is in our best 12 but if he's our best player we have serious problems.
Given we are discussing whether we will be 2nd last or last - it's fair to say we have serious issues but I understand why people want to think everything is rosy.
Harvs finished top 5 in the B&F in '08, when we finished top 4…
Only mid to finish ahead of him was Lenny…

Next?