Lyon re-signs for two more years

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lyon re-signs for two more years

The Fireman wrote:no loyalty left..he is milking the system for all it's worth as are the players...we are the only suckers left towing the loyalty line.

As opposed to other coaches leaving. Im unsure anything has changed in the last 50 years. If anyone can post stats to prove otherwise well that would be interesting.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:no loyalty left..he is milking the system for all it's worth as are the players...we are the only suckers left towing the loyalty line.

As opposed to other coaches leaving. Im unsure anything has changed in the last 50 years. If anyone can post stats to prove otherwise well that would be interesting.
In the past there was an amount of loyalty which is slowly eroding , when a player left in days gone by everyone would be up in arms...these days it's a shrug of the shoulders...again it's the supporter who has remained the only constant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

In the past there was an amount of loyalty which is slowly eroding , when a player left in days gone by everyone would be up in arms...these days it's a shrug of the shoulders...again it's the supporter who has remained the only constant.

I reckon a few people were up in arms when BJ left. I think its funny that people think more players leave now than in the past. I think in the first drafts there were many trades. And champions have always left. Big Carl left us twice. Ian Stewart left.

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

If Lyon has so much integrity why did he lead our board on by continuing contract negotiations via his agent while he was off signing his own deal with Freo? That is completely unethical on so many levels, especially when he had them "accept" our extension only to baulk at signing and use the contract loophole to walk away from the year of the contract we thought he was locked in for. Only dodgy people in my experience are capable of such duplicitous conduct.

Further, if Lyon has so much integrity why did he "retire" Bakes, Mini and Eddy after that finals loss when he knew he wasn't going to be in charge the following season? The minute he committed even mentally to Freo he ethically forfeited the right to make decisions impacting not only our club but our players' lives.

s*** bloke, seemingly hellbent on getting coaching success to alleviate his complete lack of team success as a player. Hope he keeps getting close without winning one...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:If Lyon has so much integrity why did he lead our board on by continuing contract negotiations via his agent while he was off signing his own deal with Freo? That is completely unethical on so many levels, especially when he had them "accept" our extension only to baulk at signing and use the contract loophole to walk away from the year of the contract we thought he was locked in for. Only dodgy people in my experience are capable of such duplicitous conduct.

Further, if Lyon has so much integrity why did he "retire" Bakes, Mini and Eddy after that finals loss when he knew he wasn't going to be in charge the following season? The minute he committed even mentally to Freo he ethically forfeited the right to make decisions impacting not only our club but our players' lives.

s*** bloke, seemingly hellbent on getting coaching success to alleviate his complete lack of team success as a player. Hope he keeps getting close without winning one...

Not sure many have said he has integrity. Also i think retirements had plenty to do with Pelchen.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Bad move by freo.

They should've obfuscated and delayed negotiations on any contract extension until the latest possible moment and inserted an out clause in the meantime to improve their position.

This obviously proves that both they and he are desperate.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I reckon a few people were up in arms when BJ left. I think its funny that people think more players leave now than in the past. I think in the first drafts there were many trades. And champions have always left. Big Carl left us twice. Ian Stewart left.
How many people do you know that think more players leave now?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I reckon this is a myth too.

Anyone got any stats? Seems heaps of players and even more coaches swapped teams in the past.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
Spinner wrote:
SainterK wrote:I don't think he wanted an extension, I think he wanted out...

You think he wanted out of Freo so they gave him a 2 year extension?
Pretty sure that K is talking about his Saints contract.

Well this is one conspiracy theory that has truly lost me. Confused.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Honestly who gives a s***!!!!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Give him one thing, his self belief must be enormous...

Mine would of taken a hit by now
Why? He's coached the 19th most grand finals of all time, 27th most finals. Here's his performance against all the other coaches who started at the same time or after him:

C Scott: 79% win rate, 6 finals, 1 grand final, 1 flag
Buckley: 68% win rate, 4 finals
Longmire: 67% win rate, 7 finals, 1 grand final, 1 flag
Lyon: 67% win rate, 12 finals, 4 grand finals
Sanderson: 61% win rate, 3 finals
Hinkley: 57% win rate
Hird: 56% win rate, 1 final
Ratten: 51% win rate, 4 finals
B Scott: 51% win rate, 1 final
Hardwick: 45% win rate, 1 final
Harvey: 41% win rate, 2 finals
Voss: 40% win rate, 2 finals
Knights: 39% win rate, 1 final
Watters: 39% win rate
McCartney: 30% win rate
Bailey: 28% win rate
Primus: 28% win rate
McKenna: 21% win rate
Neeld: 15% win rate

More finals and grand finals than any of them, as good a win rate as anyone except Chris Scott. No flags, but only 2 of the 7 flags since he started coaching have been won by guys more inexperienced than him - Scott and Longmire.

Yes, he needs to win one sooner or later. If not he'll be on a list with Eade, Northey, Bob Rose - guys who coached a lot of finals and got to grand finals but couldn't win them. But I personally wouldn't be betting against him.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The question to me is whether Lyon will learn from not being able to get across the line in 4 grand finals. In grannies all teams crank up their game to play a suffocating, chase down everything maniacal style where there is no time or space. This evens up the one big advantage his well drilled team has had all year. Where they then fall behind is his players have not been encouraged (in fact discouraged) to use instinct or flair outside of his strict game plan. Players heads are too caught up in "the system" to take the game on. Grand finals are won by players lifting themselves up to another level on the biggest stage. I think Lyons ultra-tight system kills that player empowerment and creativity. Will he finally learn and let Freo players off the hook a bit this year? He seems so stubborn and driven I can't see him changing.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:The question to me is whether Lyon will learn from not being able to get across the line in 4 grand finals. In grannies all teams crank up their game to play a suffocating, chase down everything maniacal style where there is no time or space. This evens up the one big advantage his well drilled team has had all year. Where they then fall behind is his players have not been encouraged (in fact discouraged) to use instinct or flair outside of his strict game plan. Players heads are too caught up in "the system" to take the game on. Grand finals are won by players lifting themselves up to another level on the biggest stage. I think Lyons ultra-tight system kills that player empowerment and creativity. Will he finally learn and let Freo players off the hook a bit this year? He seems so stubborn and driven I can't see him changing.

I think that may make sense if he was being smashed in GF but 3 out of 4 of them could have been won with an extra little luck and better kicking.

spert
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:The question to me is whether Lyon will learn from not being able to get across the line in 4 grand finals. In grannies all teams crank up their game to play a suffocating, chase down everything maniacal style where there is no time or space. This evens up the one big advantage his well drilled team has had all year. Where they then fall behind is his players have not been encouraged (in fact discouraged) to use instinct or flair outside of his strict game plan. Players heads are too caught up in "the system" to take the game on. Grand finals are won by players lifting themselves up to another level on the biggest stage. I think Lyons ultra-tight system kills that player empowerment and creativity. Will he finally learn and let Freo players off the hook a bit this year? He seems so stubborn and driven I can't see him changing.

I think that may make sense if he was being smashed in GF but 3 out of 4 of them could have been won with an extra little luck and better kicking.
with a bit more imaginative and risk-taking coaching

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Not sure about that. Were the other coaches imaginative and risk taking in the GF's? Also was the side he coached favourite in any GF. maybe we were against Geelong but that would have been close. The other sides were clearly favourite. maybe they werent good enough or made errors like kicking for goal.

I just find it strange that you can get so close in 3 GF's and then people ay his type of coaching wont win GF's. Like I said i would agree if the sides were never in the game but they were.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Not sure about that. Were the other coaches imaginative and risk taking in the GF's? Also was the side he coached favourite in any GF. maybe we were against Geelong but that would have been close. The other sides were clearly favourite. maybe they werent good enough or made errors like kicking for goal.

I just find it strange that you can get so close in 3 GF's and then people ay his type of coaching wont win GF's. Like I said i would agree if the sides were never in the game but they were.
He may yet manage to sneak one by a goal or so, but there is a real pattern now of his players not standing up under the intense pressure of the grannies including bad kicking. I don't think Lyon is very good at building up individuals belief in themselves. His rigid approach is subliminally saying to his players "Your footballing nous is not going to win us a premiership, the system will win us a premiership". What does that do to a players confidence in himself as a footballer who can make things happen? Everyone said Maxwell was a spud when he was appointed captain (and geelong still do). In that last 15 minutes of the drawn grand final he was a f****** general holding back the tide against the odds. That is Malthouses genius in his ability to help players find their best selves, respecting their individuality and nurturing it (while still balancing it with sticking to team tactics). Lyon is obsessed with micro-managing the nuts and bolts of play and his system and doesn't have the patience or vision to encourage that sort of inner player development but I think the best coaches do. It allows players to be extraordinary when the pressure is greatest. Geelong players believed themselves capable of doing something magical despite whatever stifling "system" they were up against. You make your own luck.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Not sure about that. Were the other coaches imaginative and risk taking in the GF's? Also was the side he coached favourite in any GF. maybe we were against Geelong but that would have been close. The other sides were clearly favourite. maybe they werent good enough or made errors like kicking for goal.

He may yet manage to sneak one by a goal or so, but there is a real pattern now of his players not standing up under the intense pressure of the grannies including bad kicking. I don't think Lyon is very good at building up individuals belief in themselves. His rigid approach is subliminally saying to his players "Your footballing nous is not going to win us a premiership, the system will win us a premiership". What does that do to a players confidence in himself as a footballer who can make things happen? Everyone said Maxwell was a spud when he was appointed captain (and geelong still do). In that last 15 minutes of the drawn grand final he was a f****** general holding back the tide against the odds. That is Malthouses genius in his ability to help players find their best selves, respecting their individuality and nurturing it (while still balancing it with sticking to team tactics). Lyon is obsessed with micro-managing the nuts and bolts of play and his system and doesn't have the patience or vision to encourage that sort of inner player development but I think the best coaches do. It allows players to be extraordinary when the pressure is greatest. Geelong players believed themselves capable of doing something magical despite whatever stifling "system" they were up against. You make your own luck.

Can you give me an example of a st Kilda player not using their football nous in a grand final?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:He may yet manage to sneak one by a goal or so, but there is a real pattern now of his players not standing up under the intense pressure of the grannies including bad kicking. I don't think Lyon is very good at building up individuals belief in themselves. His rigid approach is subliminally saying to his players "Your footballing nous is not going to win us a premiership, the system will win us a premiership". What does that do to a players confidence in himself as a footballer who can make things happen? Everyone said Maxwell was a spud when he was appointed captain (and geelong still do). In that last 15 minutes of the drawn grand final he was a f****** general holding back the tide against the odds. That is Malthouses genius in his ability to help players find their best selves, respecting their individuality and nurturing it (while still balancing it with sticking to team tactics). Lyon is obsessed with micro-managing the nuts and bolts of play and his system and doesn't have the patience or vision to encourage that sort of inner player development but I think the best coaches do. It allows players to be extraordinary when the pressure is greatest. Geelong players believed themselves capable of doing something magical despite whatever stifling "system" they were up against. You make your own luck.
I don't completely agree with you, but I think that's a pretty insightful call about coaching styles. Stan Alves is an example of the motivator coach who unfortunately couldn't get it done when it counted. Not much of a tactician but he got a solid list all pushing in the right direction for about 20 games in 97.

I wonder if it depends how much you've got in terms of resources? Malthouse can afford to be a pure mentor and motivator to his players because he's got a whole bunch of others around him doing skills coaching and tactical drills - and for that matter recruiting the right players in the first place. On the other hand, if you can't afford to do everything then betting on "system" is probably not a bad idea, helps you make up for variable quality players, worse skills, more rudimentary tactics.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Can you give me an example of a st Kilda player not using their football nous in a grand final?
I know he was triple teamed and didn't have much support up forward but I felt even Riewoldt was reduced to playing a "role" under Lyon (pushing up on the wings as a link up out of defence) rather than let him dominate they way he could. When you have someone that great, let them do what they do. I thought Pavlich had the ability to tear apart that last quarter but he seemed restrained by the game plan. Lyon makes his players fit his system, instead of the system fitting the talents of the players he has.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote: I don't completely agree with you, but I think that's a pretty insightful call about coaching styles. Stan Alves is an example of the motivator coach who unfortunately couldn't get it done when it counted. Not much of a tactician but he got a solid list all pushing in the right direction for about 20 games in 97.

I wonder if it depends how much you've got in terms of resources? Malthouse can afford to be a pure mentor and motivator to his players because he's got a whole bunch of others around him doing skills coaching and tactical drills - and for that matter recruiting the right players in the first place. On the other hand, if you can't afford to do everything then betting on "system" is probably not a bad idea, helps you make up for variable quality players, worse skills, more rudimentary tactics.
. There is some truth in that (we were a bounce of the ball from a flag), but the danger of a complete systems approach is it becomes predictable and gets unpacked by other teams. But jeez, we were loaded up with some brilliant, creative players - why not allow them to use it? I see it as a coach is like the General who sets the structures and game style (eg Malthouse's going along the wings) at high level and then has lieutenants bedding in the details, adding in their own ideas, but always reporting back to the top. A Generals job is often to man manage those under him to bring out their best and make sure everyone stays on track for the big picture. I imagine being an assistant coach under Lyon would like being a Nazi and just "obeying orders" so you miss out on the creativity of the assistant coaches to make your team a little less predictable and multi-pronged. In retrospect St Kilda was a bit one-dimensional, without enough goal scoring options. Surprise, surprise so is Freo.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Not sure about that. Were the other coaches imaginative and risk taking in the GF's? Also was the side he coached favourite in any GF. maybe we were against Geelong but that would have been close. The other sides were clearly favourite. maybe they werent good enough or made errors like kicking for goal.

I think he was very imaginative in the 2nd half of GF1 in 2010, so much so that he nearly won a game we should never have got close in…
He has been unlucky, not sure he will win one with Freo, they need a LOT of luck injury wise, they have an old list, older than we were in 2010

matrix
Saintsational Legend

christ sake mods more it to general sports or other teams

youve got enough time to read thru a friggin thread to give me a warning for using 'ffs' (go on give me another one :roll: ) yet not enough time to move a non saints thread on the main page into the general sport area

we've had two coaches since this peanut left us
let it go aready

F#S!

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Most Saints supporters enjoy whinging about the past and all the 'what ifs' because most are complete losers.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No

Because most have never seen success.... And only dream of it

matrix
Saintsational Legend

cant argue that

and im nearly over luke ball only playing 46% game time in a grand final
nearly..... :twisted: