Jimmy's fresh start-afl story

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy's fresh start-afl story

New wife and new coach and new enthusiasm
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-02/g ... ng-as-no-1
After two seasons interrupted by knee injuries, Gwilt has returned to peak fitness and has barely been beaten in recent match simulation drills, prompting excitement among the Saints' coaching team.

The 27-year-old missed the club's Colorado training camp late last year following knee surgery, but new backline coach David Teague said he could do no wrong since returning to the main group.

"A few of the coaches who were here last year have mentioned that he's really got his speed back, which is a great sign," Teague told AFL.com.au.

"He's been the defender who has probably jumped out for me with the way he goes about his training, and in one-on-one contests he's hardly lost a contest.

"He's shown great leadership and he's come off his knee really well

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jimmy's fresh start-afl story

being over injury playing a part ........................more than the new wife bratty!!

saint4life
falka
Club Player

And I will admit that I didn't see him getting a regular game this year. Competition down back with a full list good for the club. Will wait and see though, can't see him fisher and dempster all in the same team if we want to get games into Newnes Roberton Wright and Webster.this is a good problem but we need the latter names getting to 50-75 games ASAP

Megamaguire
Club Player

GO JIMMY GO !

Great news reg: Jimmy G. tied the knot recently and getting his speed back. If Teague and him can produce beautiful music together Jimmy could thrust himself into theteam and be too good to lose his spot. A nice problem to have!
With our growing and developing back-line and input from new coaches and new players back there there are a whole lot of factors jostling for position l would of thought. Delaney could have a very positive effect depening on how he can influence the changing structures and rapprt with his new team-mates. Newness; Roberton and I still think Simpkin never mind Gwilt could all potentially benefit big time from a fully functioning Big FB.

I'll stop the hat ifs there but I'm seriously pleased that Gwilt is giving himself the best chance to excel.

Hoping to see a few more flashes of a Saints defensive structure that can clamp down on opposition forwards!

GOOD LUCK JIMMY THE GENT!

GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Awesome news! I'm a Jimmy fan.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

falka wrote:And I will admit that I didn't see him getting a regular game this year. Competition down back with a full list good for the club. Will wait and see though, can't see him fisher and dempster all in the same team if we want to get games into Newnes Roberton Wright and Webster.this is a good problem but we need the latter names getting to 50-75 games ASAP
Agree, he looked awfully slow last year… I reckon his career will be on the rocks unless he can regain some pace and agility.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

He needs to play better this year as last season he was not up to standard...regardless of a 16th place finish or not

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:He needs to play better this year as last season he was not up to standard...regardless of a 16th place finish or not

To be fair he was played as a KP defender, once on a resting Sandilands who towered over him so much it looked comical. 188cm versus a guy who would need to kneel down to go in a door way. Then there was the injuries. If he gets his best form back he's a very good player and Delaney might just release him to play a more effective role. Fisher helps too.