Who will do a Roberton?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who will do a Roberton?

skeptic wrote:
BigMart wrote:In case it is not known.... I do believe Stanley was the strongest man on the list in 2013

Could be Curren in 2014
Really!? You never would have thought it by watching him play. Seems very easily outmanuevered.

Would have thought Riewoldt was stronger for sure

I think BM really meant to say he lifts the highest weights. Doesnt mean he is good at holding his position in marking contests because he doesnt use his body well enough. People get confused with what weights you can snatch and jerk and forget there is more to footy than being strong in the gym.

jamesmc
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:Siposs...there's a good chance Richo will have a one-on-one with this young lad.
I have no contacts at the club at all, just guessing that Richo will believe an honest appraisal and discussion will clear the air and give Siposs some much needed direction...
e.g. "Arryn, look, nothing leaves this room unless you want it to...etc"
that will give young Arryn a level of trust in the father figure. Lets Arryn voice any concerns he may have, any obstacles to his continued improvement, etc.
At least, I am hopeful this is what could happen.
Let's stop carrying on about Siposs. He is the Mark Cosgrove [ cricketer ] of football

Sobraz
SS Life Member

jamesmc wrote: Let's stop carrying on about Siposs. He is the Mark Cosgrove [ cricketer ] of football
Cosgrove should be opening the batting for Australia.... His lack of discipline and not adhering to team rules doesn't make him less of a talent.. Nor has it held him back making runs... Sure, he couldve made more, but he still succeeds..

In saying that, you are incorrect with your comparison.. I think Sip is coming back from further behind than others and isn't as naturally gifted in the endurance department, but he will get there..

jamesmc
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:
jamesmc wrote: Let's stop carrying on about Siposs. He is the Mark Cosgrove [ cricketer ] of football
Cosgrove should be opening the batting for Australia.... His lack of discipline and not adhering to team rules doesn't make him less of a talent.. Nor has it held him back making runs... Sure, he couldve made more, but he still succeeds..

In saying that, you are incorrect with your comparison.. I think Sip is coming back from further behind than others and isn't as naturally gifted in the endurance department, but he will get there..
Not sure if you 're agreeing or disagreeing :?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

jamesmc wrote:
Sobraz wrote:

Not sure if you 're agreeing or disagreeing :?
Neither am I... :D

dragit
Saintsational Legend

All we need is 2 key defenders, 7 or 8 mids, 1 or 2 ruckmen, 2 medium forwards, 2 tall forwards, 1 small forward and one ruck/forward to come good. Then we'll be laughing.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think a guy who could make himself the next Roberton through opportunity is TDL. He is the only guy left who is a stay at home small forward now Milney and Saad have gone. Milera is going to play more of a running role and Savage will spend time on ball at the Saints.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

TDL sure would be a surprise. But that's what doing a Roberton is about

sainter104
Club Player

just hope
richo dosent do a watters

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:TDL sure would be a surprise. But that's what doing a Roberton is about

Reckon SW is more hope myself.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:Tom Simpkin, he really impressed in patches throughout 2012 and was being lauded as a 200 gamer and the like, however he slipped in 2013 which sounds like injury might have played a hand in that however he could have a break-out year in 2014 if he can stay fit...he's got aggression which I like too.

I also agree with Rhys, he could have a break-out too, he came in for some serious criticism during the 2013 season however in hindsight we know why that was and you get the feeling that he could have learnt a lot from the 2013 season and also benefited physically from stringing the most games together in a a season since his debut...I'm a fan.
I also think Simpkin had a problem with the dwarf.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

gringo wrote:I think a guy who could make himself the next Roberton through opportunity is TDL. He is the only guy left who is a stay at home small forward now Milney and Saad have gone. Milera is going to play more of a running role and Savage will spend time on ball at the Saints.
Milera a running role? I can only see him on the forward flank tbh.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Moorabbin Man wrote:Tommy Lee

This is the one.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
gringo
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:
gringo wrote:I think a guy who could make himself the next Roberton through opportunity is TDL. He is the only guy left who is a stay at home small forward now Milney and Saad have gone. Milera is going to play more of a running role and Savage will spend time on ball at the Saints.

He moves around the ground if you go to games and is always called a small forward but has rarely been stationed in the forward line. He often is deep back and running to link up. It might be better if he is given time as a pure forward and gets his confidence up.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
millarsaint wrote:

He moves around the ground if you go to games and is always called a small forward but has rarely been stationed in the forward line. He often is deep back and running to link up. It might be better if he is given time as a pure forward and gets his confidence up.
Yes..Milera has mainly been more of a running line breaker than a dedicated small forward.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Wow. Hawks generate heaps of cash flow from pokies.

That's something to be really really proud of.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Tom Simpkin, he really impressed in patches throughout 2012 and was being lauded as a 200 gamer and the like, however he slipped in 2013 which sounds like injury might have played a hand in that however he could have a break-out year in 2014 if he can stay fit...he's got aggression which I like too.

I also agree with Rhys, he could have a break-out too, he came in for some serious criticism during the 2013 season however in hindsight we know why that was and you get the feeling that he could have learnt a lot from the 2013 season and also benefited physically from stringing the most games together in a a season since his debut...I'm a fan.
I also think Simpkin had a problem with the dwarf.
That might have something to do with it, let's hope he is motivated by a new coach, a new buzz around the club and let's hope he is seriously motivated as hell by his brother playing in a flag, he is certainly from good stock in that regard.

Just a footnote on Roberton; he had played 37 games of AFL footy before he came to us so he was ready to have a crack, and this is not trying to be negative or take anything away from his outstanding performance in 2013 however he was playing in a backline that was well down on star power and organisation so his desire to take the game on and his frequent dashes out of the backline looked awesome in a bare paddock so the challenge will be for him to back it up. I hope he still has licence to execute more run and carry because he looks good when he's got the ball tucked under the wing.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:All we need is 2 key defenders, 7 or 8 mids, 1 or 2 ruckmen, 2 medium forwards, 2 tall forwards, 1 small forward and one ruck/forward to come good. Then we'll be laughing.
As long as that small forward is from W.A. :D

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Roberton.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Andreous
Club Player

Markworth.

lefty
Club Player

Simpkin, if he's overcome his lower leg issues.

kalsaint
Club Player

Seb Ross has the genes to fly at this level. With body work I expect some real improvement and consistency.

Sippos may talk to Richo but I reckon the real word needs to come from Aaron Hamill. He needs to develop a game much like Hamill and if successful could be a star going forward but probably beyond 2014.

I expect Delaney to improve with more responsibility and level 1 game time but I wouldn't say he with be a surprise.

The one I reckon who could really develop and show some dominance in certain games will be Longer. He had the goods and motivation. He also will only feature if he puts in the work. Jolly's call.

Dunstan had the good at the kids level and has some SANFL experience. He could be a dark horse although at AFL senior level they often need some gamewise adjustments. Hope he gets the coaching needed to achieve in the shorter term.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
kalsaint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:I think one of the things with Stanley is that he seemed to suffer from an unclear developmental path which for mine is a bit of a hall mark from the SW era.

DO they want this guy to be an athletic ruck or a stronger forward etc.

The biggest deficit in his game atm (IMO) is that he simply doesn't attack the contest as a big fella should. For mine, I think he needs to seriously hit the weights in the off season.

If he hits the weights then I think he loses his only real asset in footy and thats pace. He just needs to learn how to use his pace in a game. However i believe he just may not be good enough.
the weights dont slow you down. i dont know why you perpetuate this myth.

but i agree that i dont think strength/size its rhys main issue. the issue is his timing and just general footy smarts.
this sounds weird but i also think he has relatively small hands. he is not a good ball handler. he often juggles his marks and fumbles.
You wouldn't see those guys shown lasting the time in an AFL game with their bodies. They are built for short term pace with strength, not endurance runners that are sort of required in all positions from HF to HB.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

2 players who have done the apprenticeship and should be ready to take their game to the next level are Stanley and Savage. If they are going to be good AFL players 2014 will be the year they announce themselves.

Of the others I think Ross has the potential to establish himself as a regular this year, and also Tom Lee showed enough to suggest he could cement a regular spot kicking a couple of goals a game .

Really keen to watch the development of Newnes & Curren and am really hoping Spencer White can snag half a dozen senior games.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
Watts the Buzz
Club Player

Beno88 wrote:Milera. The guy has talent.
+1