Top 5 games

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Siposstar#2
Club Player

Top 5 games

After enjoying the thread on the top 5 saints players of all time. I thought I'd start one on the top 5 games saints fans have seen. Win, lose or draw!
I'd like to know so I could perhaps go watch some on youtube. As I only began going to the footy in 97.
Well here is mine

1. Saints vs bulldogs 09 prelim final(the pure enjoyment felt at the end if the game. A sense of relief and also a thrilling finish)
2. Saints vs Collingwood 2010 drawn grand final (apart from the misery of it. A remarkable game really)
3. Saints vs crows 2005 qualifying final (to secure a home prelim against flag favourites at their home was such a great feeling. Harvey dominated)
4. Saints vs north 97 prelim(was only young but have re watched since. Our run and carry and the way we were playing was just so exciting and great to watch. Blew north out of the park really)
5. Saints vs brisbane 2004 home and away.(wow the sound of the crown when Schwartze slotted that goal from 55 and to confirm we were the real deal that year)

Very close games are saints vs Geelong 09(obvious reasons)
Saints vs port 04 prelim(the game had so much intensity about it and so much drama)

Formerly posted as magnifisaint 35
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Top 5 games

Wow
I think i was at 3/5 of those games live and i definitely remember waking up at 5am for that 09 game v the dogs in the uk and watching live online .
I think a game at vfl park when mcadam dominated rings a bell for me and that bloody port game in 04...
The h and a game when when we beat the pies. Was that 2010 ? Classic. Chips dominated i think.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Wow
I think i was at 3/5 of those games live and i definitely remember waking up at 5am for that 09 game v the dogs in the uk and watching live online .
I think a game at vfl park when mcadam dominated rings a bell for me and that bloody port game in 04...
The h and a game when when we beat the pies. Was that 2010 ? Classic. Chips dominated i think.
That's dedication. You were up almost six hours before the game started to get a seat in front of the laptop.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Forgetting winning finals because they are so far ahead of H&A games I would go this way
1. V carlton at Moorabbin in 89. Plugger kicked 10. 7 or close to it. Won by 5 points.
2 V Swans in 94. About 40 points down with 10 minutes to go on the count down clock. again Plugger was unforgetable. it was also the caven day and the day plugger tried to knock that old Williams guy head off
3 V Geelong in 2009. One of the best games i have ever seen
4 V Brisbane in 05. Wool kicking the goal and Aussie missing the behind. Noise was madness that night.
5 V Footscray in 87. Plugger needed 7 for 100 and got 8. Think we onlu jusy won. Plugger first 100.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:5 V Footscray in 87. Plugger needed 7 for 100 and got 8. Think we onlu jusy won. Plugger first 100.
Was that the game where the players visited Doc in hospital afterwards?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Forgetting winning finals because they are so far ahead of H&A games I would go this way
1. V carlton at Moorabbin in 89. Plugger kicked 10. 7 or close to it. Won by 5 points.
2 V Swans in 94. About 40 points down with 10 minutes to go on the count down clock. again Plugger was unforgetable. it was also the caven day and the day plugger tried to knock that old Williams guy head off
3 V Geelong in 2009. One of the best games i have ever seen
4 V Brisbane in 05. Wool kicking the goal and Aussie missing the behind. Noise was madness that night.
5 V Footscray in 87. Plugger needed 7 for 100 and got 8. Think we onlu jusy won. Plugger first 100.
Round 14, 2009, agree...best game I have ever seen between any two teams in the comp.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Losing elimination final v Geelong in '91.. Brilliant match, could've gone the whole way that year..

Others posted all up there..

Pretty much any plugger match defaults to a must watch..

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Wow
That's dedication. You were up almost six hours before the game started to get a seat in front of the laptop.
Con, I know you go early sometimes but that's ridiculous :lol:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Sobraz wrote:Losing elimination final v Geelong in '91.. Brilliant match, could've gone the whole way that year..

Others posted all up there..

Pretty much any plugger match defaults to a must watch..
Was at that game. Absolutely awesome game, could have gone either way. When you go back and watch the video, that was one of the toughest games of footy.... brutal.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of Carlton games, what about when Fev put a sook on and was moved to full back on Gehrig.
5 in a quarter to G?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

no 1 has to be the 1966 grandfinal......i will have a think about the others....but i do rate the 6 point win against geelong where gardiner kicked the winning goal and the 1 point win against the swans were we came from 47 points down at 3/4 time......

oh hang on...the prelim final win against north..and the prelim win against the dogs........

there's 5 ....but not necessarily in that order...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

1 Round 6 2004 v Brisbane. TS40's goal is actually my favourite sporting memory of all time. I saw spots from screaming so loud. Still brings tears to my eyes.

2 PF 1997 v North. Gang tackling McKernan then that third quarter where we dominated and I realised we were actually going to a GF.

3 GF1 2010 v Collingwood. That game had everything especially Herculean performances from BJ and Lenny.

4 Round 14 2009 v Geelong. Absolute corker of a game, went right down to the wire before Gardi's finest hour.

5 Round 20 2003 v Carlton. Our last game at Princes Park. Carlton fans were cocky when they kicked the first couple of goals - then had gone home by half time when we'd kicked 18. It started dawning on me that we might have a good side coming through.

Honourable mentions: most of Plugger's games, all of our finals wins, the losing final in 91 where Ablett smashed Burkey and David Grant, the losing prelim in 2004, that game in 92 where we destroyed Hawthorn to cement a spot in the finals, that game in 90 where we beat the Hawks who were reigning premiers and Nicky took a huge mark over Michael Tuck right in front of me.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Forgetting winning finals because they are so far ahead of H&A games...
I actually disagree with that. I get too stressed about finals so I haven't enjoyed very many of them. Home and away games tend to be a more pure sporting pleasure for me.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

All of the above were great, but there's 2 games from 2009 that I loved:

The week after the epic clash with Geelong, we had to to travel to Perth to play the Egirls. Nothing to play for only pride, as we virtually had at least by then a top 4 spot. Bruised and battered, we were down most of the game but came home strongly and won! The players joy was unbridled, they really loved it. The same weekend was when Geelong rested 8 and got smashed at the Gabba by the Lions.

And then there was the Tassie game v the Dawks a few weeks later when we rested 8 and still beat them! I remember that game was on live here on the Satdy arve and I was at work at the supermarket. I would go into the smoko room to check the scores and we ended up winning by 25 Pts. I really enjoyed that one!

While I'm here - were any of you guys at the game v the Dawks in 1988 at the G, where Plugger kicked 9.7 but we lost by 16 pts? It was the week before he broke his ankle v Footscray and derailed the season. Danny got king hit by Dermie in same game. I remember reading the match report and Plugger was nigh unstoppable that day against the best defenders in the comp. Marvellous stuff.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Pure games of footy

Geelong 09
Brisbane 04

Gripping
Sydney by a point one year when Roo took a game saving mark down back in Sydney
Bulldogs in the prelim
Geelong... Ling free kick

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

- harves 350th here in Perth ....
- funny enough the Freo game this year is high on my list saying goodbye to Milney Blake and Kosi wasnt a great game but very enjoyable

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:- harves 350th here in Perth ....
- funny enough the Freo game this year is high on my list saying goodbye to Milney Blake and Kosi wasnt a great game but very enjoyable
Two of my favs as well. Along with Geelong 09, the last round win 97 v Port, and rnd 1 79 v hawks (when I became a saints supporter - little did I know...)

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
stinger
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:- harves 350th here in Perth ....
how quickly we forget...or me anyway.......i loved that game....and so did about ten thousand other saints supporters..judging from the looks on the faces of those i saw......probably the most enjoyable game i ever attended and the one that will (should) live longest in my memory.....hopefully :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Saints vs Essendon in 1978 was interesting.

"Under new coach Mike Patterson the Saints were a strong and combative unit, and in a tight game they put the Dons through the mincer."

"For his part, Patterson put it succinctly: "Winners can laugh, losers can please themselves"."

http://www.news.com.au/national/bombers ... m-breached